Ultimate Handbook 2005 USM & UFF [editor notes begin on pg. 7]

notTHATtodd

While not hsving read this thing to indepth yet, I was noting the inclusion of a few very interesting characters, specifically Man-Thing gets a history nailed down, which is weird since nothing really had been revealed about him / it other then it wandered around the sewers of New York, and there was an appearance in UFF...a point that was actually mentioned in a rather interesting way...

I also liked the inclusion of Hawk-Owl and Woody, which suggests that they may make an appearance again. I'd actually like that as I am one of the six people who enjoyed that mini-series.

Another inclusion I find to be unfortunate is Punisher. While, yes he appeared in three issues of UMTU, I've long been annoyed by that story. Basically, no attempt to really "Ultimize" the character or, at least, do away with the damned stupid outfit. I kind of like Dolph Lundgren's Punisher for that reason...the suit is just tacky IMO.

Anyone else have any thoughts, comments, complaints...

Edit: Is it really fair to put Occupation: Vigilante? I mean, the guy has to make money somehow and I don't believe I've ever seen the Punisher steal someone's wallet after killing them...

Edit too: Just a quibble, but saying that Gwen Stacy was SLAIN by Carnage sounds a little weak, don't you think?

Last edited:
personally i think manthing is actually reeds dog. In the book you see him in the room when they transporter goes wrong but after you don't see them looking for him or talking about him

Last edited:
shadowcleric said:
personally i think manthing is actually reeds dog. In the book you see him in the room when they transporter goes wrong but after you don't see them looking for him or talking about him

For reasons lost to me, his origin story is told in the handbook, although it never was told anywhere else.

Another interesting thing of note...the much bandihoo'd Spiderman / Iron Man team up does not appear to be mentioned, neither is the Black Widow team-up for that matter. While, it could be said that there just wasn't room for everything, it looks like they took time for everything else. I'm of the impression that any UMTU issue that hasn't already been refuted for some reason is now stuck in place as continuity. In the case of the Iron Man / Black Widow TU, they both mention Latveria and Doctor Doom a place / person that is come to be shown as drastically different then depicted in those issues. (It is interesting to note that Geldolf is still said to come from Latveria although this was shown to be a four square block squat in Denmark (right? Denmark?) Of course, Card's Iron Man would override anything in the UMTU issues. They keep Shang Chi, Man-Thing, Punisher & Daredevil, Wolverine and X-Men issues, as near as I can tell.

Once the Ultimates and X-Men handbook comes out it should be more clear, I suppose.

DIrishB said:
Could u maybe spoil for me as I won't be able to pick this up till after work and been wondering about Man-Thing since UMTU #10, and even moreso since UFF #7...I'm dying here.

k'

"Nothing is known of Ted Sallis save that he was a scientist entrusted with guarding an experimental serum; it is not known what the serum's original purpose was....Operatives in the employ of unidentified parties attempted to steal the serum, and Sallis was forced to inject it into himself - whether he did this in a foolhardy effort to keep the serum out of his enemies hands or, on the contrary, was forced to do so by his enemies to test it remains a mystery..."

Basically, take the Man-Thing origin and stick "unidentified" "mystery" and "not known" throughout like pepper.

The UFF "...Man-Thing's consciousness was somehow touched by the mind of young genius Reed Richards, recently empowered..." Doesn't say why or how, but it does make clear it wasn't just some other guy at the work site transformed into it.

What Spidey villains and heros are in this book? And is there a place I find this online? How much was it?

MarvelWarrior said:
What Spidey villains and heros are in this book? And is there a place I find this online? How much was it?

All or most of them / do a search on Goggle / $3.99

Although the current gang war arc is mentioned, it is worth noting that Moon Knight was not included in this edition or issue.

Just noticed this in the credits:

"Art Reconstruction: Pond Scum"

Now there's a name only a mother could love...

DGrayson said:
there's an ultimates/x-men book coming out! when?!

We're actually not sure there will be such a Handbook, but sonsidering they did one for Spidey/FF, we can only assume there will be one for X-men/Ultimates sometime in the future.

DGrayson said:
there's an ultimates/x-men book coming out! when?!
It was never mentioned that there is one at the moment.

I also liked the inclusion of Hawk-Owl and Woody, which suggests that they may make an appearance again. I'd actually like that as I am one of the six people who enjoyed that mini-series.
That doesn't mean they're coming back, just because they have their bios in the book. Not saying they're not, though.

Edit: Is it really fair to put Occupation: Vigilante?
He is what he is. And that's a vigilante. No other way around to it than that.

I mean, the guy has to make money somehow and I don't believe I've ever seen the Punisher steal someone's wallet after killing them...
What does that have to do with him being a vigilante? :sure:

icemastertron said:
What does that have to do with him being a vigilante? :sure:

Nothing, but how does a vigilante earn a living when that is your occupation? Lecture tours? Oprah appearances?

The Man-Thing's origin was given at the beginnening of UMTU # 10, but removed for the trade. So yes, they did establish a origin for him thou it was all just history and not a story.

Ultxon said:
The Man-Thing's origin was given at the beginnening of UMTU # 10, but removed for the trade. So yes, they did establish a origin for him thou it was all just history and not a story.

You are right. I've never noticed that tiny little paragraph in the corner before (I've never even seen the trades for UMTU). They spent more time on the Black Widow and Iron Man origins in UMTU and those two have been - apparently - jettisoned. I guess it is curious to note what was kept from UMTU and what wasn't. As I mentioned earlier, it seems to depend entirely on whether or not there was a reference to it elsewhere (there sort of was a reference to the Man-Thing issue in USM, Doc Connor specifically) or if there has been some other source that says something different. This, of course, means that UMTU is left both in and out of continuity, depending on the characters involved and whether or not a different source has been published.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Took a glance through it. Read the Ultimate Man-Thing Entry... Interesting indeed. Daredevil :rockon: Anyone want to tell me what the origin said?

Daredevil's origin is a recap of Daredevil / Elektra and then Elektra, with some reference to him and Foggy openning a law firm in Hell's Kitchen while refering to UMTU with Punisher and finishes off with reference to Blockbuster arc in UXM.

shadowcleric said:

AW, dude, you totally stole that from me from UX.

I had that a year ago! :wink: :D

Ultxon said:

Thats funny, my trade has the little Man-Thing origin blurb in it, basically a rehash of whats in the Handbook (or really vice versa since UMTU came out long before). I did get the trade as soon as it came out though, so maybe it was taken out in later prints/editions?

Latest posts

Back