Ultimate Iron Man #4 (Spoilers)

Lynx said:
I just got in an arguement with a friend over this issue. We both agreed that the healing factor was retarded, but he liked the Brain Body thing. I brought up that it ruins the character, and doesn't fit with the Ultimates. He's like "Matt, you're always telling me how the Ultimate Universe is new and different. Besides, how does this conflict?" I bring up the tumor, and he says "But. . .if your body is an entire brain, wouldn't you be MORE likely to contract a brain tumor?"

This has me thinking. First, wouldn't this be correct? Wouldn't any tumor you contract would be considered a "brain tumor"? Also, what if "undiffrentiated neural tissue" act as a more complex nervous system rather than a brain? He's already super-sensitive, shown by the constant pain. Plus, a more complex nervous system could make reactions, even learning, quicker.

Oh GOD, I'm trying to rationalize Card's writing. This is how bad I desperatley want to like this series, despite me knowing it's CRAP! Somebody SHOOT ME! :cry:

I don't think you're rationalizing it - you're pointing out the absurdities of it.

Here's something else to chew on - if brain fills his entire body, how does he not get fatter? His stomach, liver, lungs, etc. have to go somewhere.

How does he breathe normally? One would have to assume that extra weight around his lungs would make it harder for them to expand. It seems like it would be quite a struggle, in that case, to get into a heavy suit.

UltimateE said:
I don't think you're rationalizing it - you're pointing out the absurdities of it.

Here's something else to chew on - if brain fills his entire body, how does he not get fatter? His stomach, liver, lungs, etc. have to go somewhere.

How does he breathe normally? One would have to assume that extra weight around his lungs would make it harder for them to expand. It seems like it would be quite a struggle, in that case, to get into a heavy suit.

Yeah, but the nervous system doesn't take up much space and it's quite light (Other than the brain itself). What I'm trying to say is what if the entire body isn't a brain in the literall sense, but has a more complex nervous system. It wouldn't take up that much more room. It would explain why he's hyper-sensitive at the very least. . .

Still, this leaves the healing factor, which I couldn't explain if I tried, and the poor writing.

Last edited:
Lynx said:
Yeah, but the nervous system doesn't take up much space and it's quite light (Other than the brain itself). What I'm trying to say is what if the entire body isn't a brain in the literall sense, but has a more complex nervous system. It wouldn't take up that much more room. It would explain why he's hyper-sensitive at the very least. . .

Still, this leaves the healing factor, which I couldn't explain if I tried, and the poor writing.

Maria said "brain", so I have to assume it's brain even if she (or someone else) later says nerve tissue or whatever it was. Hawkeye101 posted something to the same effect, and I posted the exact quote where she said "brain".

UltimateE said:
Maria said "brain", so I have to assume it's brain even if she (or someone else) later says nerve tissue or whatever it was. Hawkeye101 posted something to the same effect, and I posted the exact quote where she said "brain".

Yeah, I re-read the series over the weekend and noticed that. I figured if I tried twisting the writing around, it could make sense somehow. I hope someone retcons it. Hell, I hope someone just rewrites Tony's whole damn history.At least I can hope that UIM II focuses less on the stupid explanations and more on Tony's buisness and Iron Man, the superhero.

This just in: Card is taking over writing duties for All-Star Batman & Robin after Frank Miller leaves. We're going to learn that Bruce's incredible martial arts and acrobatic skills come from the fact that Thomas Wayne ingested an experimental formula to grant himself superhuman strength. Also, the reason why Dick ages in mainstream DC while the other heroes stay the same is because his mother was a witch who cursed him with rapid aging.

And if any of this ever happened, I would shoot myself.

Doc Comic said:
This just in: Card is taking over writing duties for All-Star Batman & Robin after Frank Miller leaves. We're going to learn that Bruce's incredible martial arts and acrobatic skills come from the fact that Thomas Wayne ingested an experimental formula to grant himself superhuman strength. Also, the reason why Dick ages in mainstream DC while the other heroes stay the same is because his mother was a witch who cursed him with rapid aging.

You know what's really funny about this? I HATE All Star Batman. I think the writting is atrocious (Which is funny 'cause I love Year One and DKR. . .)

BACK ON TOPIC! :D

Doc Comic said:

This is great. Start a seperate thread with ways Card can **** up Batman Bruce Wayne inserted a robot into his brain and Robin will end up being an android or something.

Lynx said:
I figured if I tried twisting the writing around, it could make sense somehow.

You certainly are to be commended for trying to decrapitize it.

icemastertron said:
Is such a thing even possible to think up?! :shock:

As E has shown me, obviously not.

I wonder what some of the other Ultimate writers think of Card. . .

Lynx said:
As E has shown me, obviously not.

I wonder what some of the other Ultimate writers think of Card. . .

As Proj pointed out, Millar took a not-so-subtle jab at him when he was talking about Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine.

Is Bendis still doing his Q&A? Someone should ask him...Vaughan too.

UltimateE said:
Is Bendis still doing his Q&A? Someone should ask him...Vaughan too.

Yeah I made a thread about the quote over at the cabal and some jackass moderator closed it down

Gert said:
Take to someplace with people who cares kid
Were his exact words.

Bendis Board had a little fun with it but of course most people got offended and said UIM was good.... :roll:

TheManWithoutFear said:
Yeah I made a thread about the quote over at the cabal and some jackass moderator closed it down

Were his exact words.

Bendis Board had a little fun with it but of course most people got offended and said UIM was good.... :roll:

Figures. :roll:

Can you link us to your BenBo post?

Just spotted another glaring fault. The armour Tony dons at the end of the issue , while obviously not his present model, is extremely close enough. Remember how many people it takes to get Tony into the suit and fully charged? We even got reminded in this months Ultimate Secret: a dozen people. Yet, little Tony manages to slip it on like it's nothing more than a pair of denims and a t shirt.

Unless of course there was a 12 man technical team hanging out somewhere offpanel in that little shed of his.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Just spotted another glaring fault. The armour Tony dons at the end of the issue , while obviously not his present model, is extremely close enough. Remember how many people it takes to get Tony into the suit and fully charged? We even got reminded in this months Ultimate Secret: a dozen people. Yet, little Tony manages to slip it on like it's nothing more than a pair of denims and a t shirt.

Unless of course there was a 12 man technical team hanging out somewhere offpanel in that little shed of his.
Yeah, that's just....oi...

But he also only had some parts. But still, I agree. And also, if THAT's his first one, why the hell would he make the next versio (the UMTU one) to be like how it was, to just go back to how he had it the first time, but of course with different features and looks? I mean, when you first build something, you don't downgrade to upgrade again. You KEEP UPGRADING!

Fuzzy Birds said:

Yeah that's one of the biggere arguments I had over at Jinxworld.

Fuzzy Birds said:

I was thinking that. What about those Rocket men? Big suits!

UltimateE said:
I'm OK - Lynx, Irish, and MwoF keep me sane. :D

And here I thought we were having the exact opposite effect.

icemastertron said:
Yeah, that's just....oi...

But he also only had some parts. But still, I agree. And also, if THAT's his first one, why the hell would he make the next versio (the UMTU one) to be like how it was, to just go back to how he had it the first time, but of course with different features and looks? I mean, when you first build something, you don't downgrade to upgrade again. You KEEP UPGRADING!

Retro harkening.

Latest posts

Back