Ultimate Iron Man #4 (Spoilers)

Just a reminder, that the discussion threads for this mini are to be made in the ULTIMATES forum. After all, Iron Man is an Ultimate. :wink:

Spade said:
i dont see wat everyone is complainig about I loved thiss issue and can wait to see wat happens next!
What's there to complain about?

If Tony has this healing factor, why does he have a brain tumor?

If his brain is his whole body, why doesn't he die when half his body is burned off?

Things contradict, and you ask why people complain? :sure:

icemastertron said:
What's there to complain about?

If Tony has this healing factor, why does he have a brain tumor?

If his brain is his whole body, why doesn't he die when half his body is burned off?

Things contradict, and you ask why people complain? :sure:
A tumor is the bodies own cells mutating so the body recognise it as something belonging to the body and not something to repair.

People doesn't use their entire brain you know. If only the part that he use for the basic brain functions then maybe he is in the clear.

I'm not trying to justify anything here, I'm not crazy about the story myself, I just think that it's better to have an explanation to the madness than bashing it right off and leave it to that.

Ultimate Warrior said:
People doesn't use their entire brain you know. If only the part that he use for the basic brain functions then maybe he is in the clear.

People DO use their entire brains, and if he loses the parts that control "basic brain functions" he should be a vegetable right now.

UltimateE said:
People DO use their entire brains, and if he loses the parts that control "basic brain functions" he should be a vegetable right now.
Checked up on it and you are right we use the entire brain but only about 10% at a time on average, and sorry my previous post should have been "If only the part that he use for the basic brain functions is not damaged then maybe he is in the clear." And by that I mean the brain matter in his head as the rest of the brain matter in the rest of his body might only be there for an "upgrade" of his system and is only there to make him smarter, not as an replacement or extension of his other brain functions.

Ultimate Warrior said:
Checked up on it and you are right we use the entire brain but only about 10% at a time on average, and sorry my previous post should have been "If only the part that he use for the basic brain functions is not damaged then maybe he is in the clear." And by that I mean the brain matter in his head as the rest of the brain matter in the rest of his body might only be there for an "upgrade" of his system and is only there to make him smarter, not as an replacement or extension of his other brain functions.

That "We only use 10% of our brains" is a myth that New Age freaks and psychics have been taking advantage of for years.

And I agree with the rest. While Tony can grow back his nerve tissue, there should already have been permanent psychological damage done. I remember that a UXM issue has Sabretooth trying to drown Wolverine because it is possible that although Wolverine will just regenerate the brain cells that will die from lack of oxygen, there would still be permanent mental damage.

Last edited:
cmdrjanjalani said:
That "We only use 10% of our brains" is a myth that New Age freaks and psychics have been taking advantage of for years.
Yes, you are right. I tried to correct myself be writing that we only use 10 - 14% percent of our collected abilities and knowledge at an avarage course during the day, not the percentage of brain matter. Sorry if that didn't get through.

cmdrjanjalani said:
Maybe the Baxter Building used to be run by a private corporation or the government hasn't funded it much yet. Maybe. Please God.
Best candidate for a No-Prize. Too bad the book still sucks.

DIrishB said:
Mainstream is epitomized by bad taste in my opinion, from pop music to crap movies.
The mainstream is not automatically bad, its just unfiltered. Two very different things.

I think anyone can attest to the fact that there is a big chunk of non-mainstream stuff that is also absolute garbage. What separates the mainstream from the obscure, the independent and the subcultural is that the latter is where you get off your *** and not get your leisure material spoonfed to you.

Mainstream is whats accessible, its whats immediate. Its pop culture that takes no effort to find. The actual quality of what is accessible is merely incidental.

Shi_Vral said:
Oh, and MWoF, just because I like Card, I'm sticking around, on this thread, on this site, and hell, maybe I'll even read some DD so that I can post about how crappy some of the writers for it are.
There are a LOT of crappy DD writers. But playing a game of "If my writer sucks then I think your writer sucks too" is just being petty. Besides, as E says, "this is a message board, not a courtroom."

And furthermore a great page from the book of The Wisdom of E: "That said, I don't think what anyone has read of Card's other work means anything. Who cares?" clearly points out that you shouldn't have to read an author's other works for another work to become validated.

It is faulty logic to suggest that Card's Ultimate Iron Man must be appreciated by reading Card's other works. What constitutes great fiction might vary among us here, but there is something wrong if UIM SHOULD be or CAN ONLY BE appreciated by those knowledgeable about Card's writing.

Does Bendis require that you read his entire oeuvre of chatty stuttering crime noir fiction to enjoy Daredevil? No. Does Warren Ellis insist you be brushed up on Transmetropolitan's accelerated hyperconsumerism to enjoy Ultimate Fantastic Four? No. Does Bryan K. Vaughan demand that Runaways be read with a full understanding of the sociopolitical undertones of an emasculated planet in Y the Last Man? No.

This is not to say that reading an author's previous works don't add to an experience, or enrich your understanding of a writing style. But that shouldn't be a requirement. The writer's responsibility is to tell you a story worth telling and well told. Anything else is secondary.

And that is what Card is supposed to do. If reading his other stuff adds to it, well that's just nice icing on the cake.

ourchair said:
Best candidate for a No-Prize. Too bad the book still sucks.

The mainstream is not automatically bad, its just unfiltered. Two very different things.

I think anyone can attest to the fact that there is a big chunk of non-mainstream stuff that is also absolute garbage. What separates the mainstream from the obscure, the independent and the subcultural is that the latter is where you get off your *** and not get your leisure material spoonfed to you.

Mainstream is whats accessible, its whats immediate. Its pop culture that takes no effort to find. The actual quality of what is accessible is merely incidental.

Good points, but I thought it was obvious I was generalizing and not necessarily being completely serious. Next time I'll add a winkie: ;)

There are a LOT of crappy DD writers. But playing a game of "If my writer sucks then I think your writer sucks too" is just being petty. Besides, as E says, "this is a message board, not a courtroom."

And furthermore a great page from the book of The Wisdom of E: "That said, I don't think what anyone has read of Card's other work means anything. Who cares?" clearly points out that you shouldn't have to read an author's other works for another work to become validated.

I agree, but at the same time feel while doing so might not validate it in some sense, it gives you a better understanding of their work overall, allowing you to be able to make a much more objective opinion based on that added information.

It is faulty logic to suggest that Card's Ultimate Iron Man must be appreciated by reading Card's other works. What constitutes great fiction might vary among us here, but there is something wrong if UIM SHOULD be or CAN ONLY BE appreciated by those knowledgeable about Card's writing.

Definitly agree with that as well, but again I think there's a difference between appreciating it and having a better grasp of the writer overall. Though I'm playing Devil's Advocate for Card's other work in a way, so I'm going to shut up now.

Does Bendis require that you read his entire oeuvre of chatty stuttering crime noir fiction to enjoy Daredevil? No. Does Warren Ellis insist you be brushed up on Transmetropolitan's accelerated hyperconsumerism to enjoy Ultimate Fantastic Four? No. Does Bryan K. Vaughan demand that Runaways be read with a full understanding of the sociopolitical undertones of an emasculated planet in Y the Last Man? No.

This is not to say that reading an author's previous works don't add to an experience, or enrich your understanding of a writing style. But that shouldn't be a requirement. The writer's responsibility is to tell you a story worth telling and well told. Anything else is secondary.

Exactly my reasoning.

And that is what Card is supposed to do. If reading his other stuff adds to it, well that's just nice icing on the cake.

Right. Except after reading UIM I want nothing more to do with Card. As it is its bad enough I'll have to read his UIM2, though I still hold out hope that will be far and above better than the first volume.

DIrishB said:
Right. Except after reading UIM I want nothing more to do with Card. As it is its bad enough I'll have to read his UIM2, though I still hold out hope that will be far and above better than the first volume.
Card: For my next trick, I'll have the next proto suit be made from fused brain tissue from Tony and metal! Better yet- mutated metal! What the hell is that? I DONT KNOW!

Wait, wait, wait! I'm sorry! I didn't meant it!

Yes I did.

No, I didn't! I don't want to turn you away!

Still mean it. You're such a sucker!

Shut up me! I'm crazy, don't listen to me!

Buy my book. Or I'll screw up the rest of the universe too!

Card: For my next trick, I'll have the next proto suit be made from fused brain tissue from Tony and metal! Better yet- mutated metal! What the hell is that? I DONT KNOW!

Yes I did.

My only responce is....
:crazy:

Im feeling like Im the only one who enjoys this series.. and I do.. I really do..

im thinking that was an attempt at humor.. thats ok.. its cool to be in the minority.. I WANT EQUAL RIGHTS!!
I SHall overcome! I Shall Overcome somedayyyyyyyyyyyyy

TheManWithoutFear said:
I thought you had to hate the series to be a member here.
It's the #1 rule in being a member here. Becasue Imagine if this came to reality:

icemastertron said:

Yes I did.

:crazy:

Last edited:
ourchair said:

Genius, and 100% true.

Furthermore, not liking something because it's mainstream, or liking something because it isn't mainstream, doesn't make one "kewl".

The healing factor is stupider than the brain thing. I mean it doesn't even fit into Ultimate. The baxter building was cool. And that kid was one evil basturd. That was sicking how he dropped that girl like that. I felt sick reading that. But other than that it was okay.

Latest posts

Back