Ultimate Legacy Virus (Spoilers)

What if a mutant's power turned out to be the Legacy Virus? For instance, Fabian Cortez could turn out to make these characters really powerful because that's what he does and then eventually just kills them because they become more powerful... That way, he'd become a more powerful and interesting villain.

Goodwill said:
What if a mutant's power turned out to be the Legacy Virus? For instance, Fabian Cortez could turn out to make these characters really powerful because that's what he does and then eventually just kills them because they become more powerful... That way, he'd become a more powerful and interesting villain.
I've been thinking along those lines ever since Ultimate X-Men #41 too. Who knows what kinds of discoveries that bringed. :wink:

Goodwill said:
OK, that is just not....cool, to put it into kind words. No way, sorry, GW. :noway:

The conservative in you, Ice ;)... It's like Clash of the Titans with you and I sometimes, I'm telling you. That would be a creative, 'ultimate' idea that would really shake the 616 bug off of the UU. I'd imagine that happening more so than what you've said... I don't see anything wrong with what I posted about and neither does Warrior, but I respect your opinion. :)

I think that might be an interesting idea, but as someone (I think) said or alluded to earlier, just a liiiiiiittle too close to the UXM #41 story.

Goodwill said:
The conservative in you, Ice ;)... It's like Clash of the Titans with you and I sometimes, I'm telling you. That would be a creative, 'ultimate' idea that would really shake the 616 bug off of the UU. I'd imagine that happening more so than what you've said... I don't see anything wrong with what I posted about and neither does Warrior, but I respect your opinion. :)
Well, don't get me wrong. I'ts a "creative idea", but I'm not in the liking of it.

Ultimate Warrior said:
My rules for how I want the Ultimate Legacy Virus to be:

1.) It should NOT come from the future or alternative universe or something. It's origin should be the present.

2.) It should not have been conceived as a weapon or cure. I would rather have it be a bi-product of something else (that doesn't have to be related to mutants).

3.) It should be airborn.

4.) The symtoms should be that the mutants immune system (like HIV as previous stated) and as they get sicker and sicker their powers should get more powerfull until it kills them.

5.) The first casualty should be a person that worked on the product (see point 2) and is unaware of his/hers active X-gene.

6.) The involved in the storyline shouldn't know it's origin until the end.

7.) Every Ultimate comic (Spider-Man, X-Men, Ultimates and Fantastic Four) should be involved in the story in a big way. For exemple in Ultimate Spider-Man Liz Allen could be affected some way.

8.) The story should be during 3-4 months and then end (no 8 years!).

9.) Big names should be among the casualties so it get some impact.

Thoughts?

Rights reserved for me to change the rules.

I agree with everything except it ending. The Legacy Virus needs to have long-range affects, i dont want a cure... It should literally be this horrible disease that Mutants die from, and that'd be very tragic for a story-arc to end with one of the main character's contracting the disease, but like HIV and AIDS, a person shouldnt die immediately, they'd probably live for over a year or two before it completly disabilitated him. Legacy Virus should be a constant fear with lots of people working on a cure. Maybe they'd end it like they did in 616, Mystique alters a strand of the disease into only killing humans, and Moira Mactaggert is infected, but works with other scientists into making a cure. This should happen a good while after its introduced though. Whats the point if its a 6-part miniseries, what long term affects would it have? More time would allow religious fanatics to go on about how the disease is God's Judgment on mutants, and for the course of illyana's disease to really take its affect.

goodwill said:

.... Sorry goody, but no.... that wouldnt make sense. A mutant who's mutant power was an airborne disease that affected ALL mutants... Including himself? He would die when his powers first emerged. I think it should stay being just Biological Warfare, but not from the future (so i guess i disagree with another one of those points then).... but yeah. Maybe SHIELD develops it to execute Magneto w/o metal, but it turns into a all-out epidemic.

Dr.Strangefate said:
.... Sorry goody, but no.... that wouldnt make sense. A mutant who's mutant power was an airborne disease that affected ALL mutants... Including himself? He would die when his powers first emerged.

The kid from UXM #41 didn't kill himself...

UltimateE said:
The kid from UXM #41 didn't kill himself...

I know, i thought this was about someone who leaked the Legacy Virus, LIKE the kid from #41. I didnt think we were talking about the exact same kid...

Dr.Strangefate said:
I know, i thought this was about someone who leaked the Legacy Virus, LIKE the kid from #41. I didnt think we were talking about the exact same kid...

We weren't - my only point was that if that kid didn't kill himself, it is reasonable that another mutant with a similar "power" wouldn't have to kill himself either.

Well, I don't know, I thought that the way I explained it was a way to explain away the "mutants getting more powerful and eventually dying bit" which didn't make any sense to me. The mutant's power would be to control others powers, not his own, which would actually turn the tables here... I don't know. I do agree that it's very similar to #41 (Which we'll dub the character in that issue).

Goodwill said:
Well, I don't know, I thought that the way I explained it was a way to explain away the "mutants getting more powerful and eventually dying bit" which didn't make any sense to me. The mutant's power would be to control others powers, not his own, which would actually turn the tables here... I don't know. I do agree that it's very similar to #41 (Which we'll dub the character in that issue).

I agree that the whole gettin more powerful just before they die is rediculous..... I think it should just be a disease though. It dehabilitates mutants, perhaps even weakening their abilities over time, and then they wind up dead.... No getting extra powerful. But it loses the AIDS connection if its from another baddie, and in a society where we have the AIDS epidemic in Africa, I think that this would be a great way to address the issue.

Imagine Genosha, an Anti-Mutant African nation (its near Madagascar) with a HUGE mutant population. They all start dying and the Government refuses to help them out, I think that'd be a great political thing, especially if Colossus is still around and if Illyana has come and has the disease. He already hates the Country because of the Longshot business, and he'd be extra pissed off if they're not helping out people like his sister.

Dr.Strangefate said:
I agree that the whole gettin more powerful just before they die is rediculous..... I think it should just be a disease though. It dehabilitates mutants, perhaps even weakening their abilities over time, and then they wind up dead.... No getting extra powerful. But it loses the AIDS connection if its from another baddie, and in a society where we have the AIDS epidemic in Africa, I think that this would be a great way to address the issue.

A good start to this would be one of the X-Men's powers growing weaker and then they think they've become human. I don't know which character this could work with because I'd like to see the infectee actually happy that they're not a mutant anymore and then they die.

TheManWithoutFear said:
A good start to this would be one of the X-Men's powers growing weaker and then they think they've become human. I don't know which character this could work with because I'd like to see the infectee actually happy that they're not a mutant anymore and then they die.

Rogue

Imagine that... she finally can touch people, and she thinks she's human. Then she starts to die.....

That'd be soo sad!

(in other words... i like this idea)

Even, if your feeling really risky and want a huge impact...Cyclops. His powers are gone! He can see again! Its a bittersweet miracle in the first place but then when it goes sour....

Caduceus said:
Even, if your feeling really risky and want a huge impact...Cyclops. His powers are gone! He can see again! Its a bittersweet miracle in the first place but then when it goes sour....
I'd pick Cyclops over Rogue, as well, as the high-profile victim, from a story-telling point of view, because the expectation would be to say "They'd never kill him! [pause] Right?". For better or worse, Rogue could be *plausibly* killed, if there seemed to be no more *obvious* storylines for her character, taking away from the drama of the plot. But Scott feels indispensible to the team AND the larger X-Men mythos, and it would geniunely keep readers excited and speculating about "will they? won't they?" as the race for a treatment goes on.

Latest posts

Back