Have you read the Ultimate Team-ups?

• Yes

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nick MB said:
I nearly died laughing reading the Ultimate Team Up issue with the FF... Utterly hillarious. Obviously not in continuity at all, but who cares. The others were a little up and down... Highlights were the Mall X-Men issue, the Punisher/DD three parter and maybe the Hulk one. The Super Special was also great. If nothing else, it was some good Marvel exposure for some great artists.

Welcome to the site :D

Welcome! Now thats out of the way

Nick MB said:
If nothing else, it was some good Marvel exposure for some great artists.

Are you serious?!?!? The art was terrible. I don't think I've seen a worse drawn comic in my life!

Once again, welcome :D

Nick MB said:
I nearly died laughing reading the Ultimate Team Up issue with the FF... Utterly hillarious. Obviously not in continuity at all, but who cares. The others were a little up and down... Highlights were the Mall X-Men issue, the Punisher/DD three parter and maybe the Hulk one. The Super Special was also great. If nothing else, it was some good Marvel exposure for some great artists.
Welcome! :D

*In Russian voice* I must see this art that you speak of so highly...

lol

Baxter said:
I've yet to read the first few issues, can't seem to find the V1 TPB or the Hardcover (Anyone can help me on that please PM me), but I enjoyed what I saw. The FF issue is out of continuity, plain and simple, but keeping that in mind is a fun read, just don't take it seriously.

I thought the FF issue was too over-the-top for my taste, but the one thing I did laugh at was how Reed Richards reminded me of my father -- he's convinced he can and should fix everything that doesn't work. ("It's broken." "I can fix this!" "No, we can buy a new one for less than $10." "No, no, I can fix this!" "It would be easier to just get a new one!" "No, no, I know I can fix this!" :lol: )

Both the hardcover and Volume 1 of the trades are difficult to get now. I managed to find TPB Volume 1 online, but right now I don't see it listed at any of the places I usually get used books:

www.bn.com

www.alibris.com

www.abebooks.com

www.amazon.com

One of the other problems I ran into buying them is that sellers don't always list the volume numbers correctly (or at all, in some cases), so I ended up with two copies of Volume 2 before I finally found Volume 1. The Volume 1 TPB has a publishing date of 2001, Volume 2 was published in 2002, and Volume 3 in 2003. (Convenient, eh?) The Hardcover has a 2002 publication date as well. All the books have different ISBNs (International Standard Book Numbers), so that's another way of telling which volume is being offered.

I tend not to treat the stories in the UMTU as continuity until something shows up in the regular UU titles to verify them. Did anyone else notice that Tony Stark's eyes are brown in issue 3 of UMTU, and blue in The Ultimates? :? And I found Ben Urich's "Magical Disappearing Wristwatch" in the Hulk issue to be rather amusing as well....

Guijllons said:
there was an UXM super special? I though the only one was the spidey one. 1

Nope there's a UXM: SS. It takes place right after Magneto "dies" in The Tomorrow People arc, as Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are running away. Some of the X-Men offer them to join but they refuse. Ultimate Quicksilver has an Avatar that looks a lot like what's mentioned to be the last scene.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Nope there's a UXM: SS. It takes place right after Magneto "dies" in The Tomorrow People arc, as Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are running away. Some of the X-Men offer them to join but they refuse. Ultimate Quicksilver has an Avatar that looks a lot like what's mentioned to be the last scene.

That sound very much like Ultimate X-Men ½ :?
Are you sure it's not that one you mean?

The USM 1/2 contained a sixteen page new story by Bendis/Bagley and a few sketches. I don't own the actual thing, but I have the story reprinted in the USM Volume 3 hardcover. It's not bad. I wouldn't rush out and pay millions on eBay for it, but it has some nice moments with Ultimate JJJ.

And (to track back to my last comment) altho obviously the art on UMTU was very changable because of the rotating creators, there were some good ones. Mahfood's art on the FF issue, altho you wouldn't want him on a regular 'serious' Spidey title, was perfect for that joke story, hence why he's now drawing the comedy What If issue. The art in the DD/Punisher art was note perfect, and Phil Hester drew a fantastic Hulk in #2-3. Honourable mentions to Allred on the Iron Man two parter, Clugston-Major on the X-Men one and Moore on Black Widow. I admit I wasn't loving the pictures by Ted McKeever in the Dr Strange story though, and issue one's Matt Wagner art just didn't quite work.

Ooh, and I almost forgot to rave about the rotating artists in the super-special! I honestly can't remember who drew what, but they were all pretty stunning, and the story was good too. Which was nice, as I felt UMTU tailed off a bit creatively in the last five or six issues.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Just a little more info, sir, please? :please:

OK. I will do my best.

It starts in the office of the Daily Bugle with Jameson holding up a picture of Spider-Man beating up a guy and it looks like he also beats up an elderly woman. We then get the full story from Ben Urich that reads from the police report. The woman had shoplifted a pair of sneakers from a store and get cought when she walks out on the streets. She screams that she is pregnant and a big guy shows up to help the woman from the store employee. From nowhere a blond young guy appears and "suggests" that he get his hand off the man. A fight between the big man and the youngster starts, in which the man gets his ass kicked with a few simple moves. When he still don't give up the young guy powers up his right hand (his hand looks like its on flames) and the guy gets scared thinking he is a mutant.
Before the young Iron Fist (well duh) can do anything, Spider-Man swings down knocking him out.
The next scene showing the cops rounding up the involved people and interigating the young Iron Fist and we get to know his name is Danny Rand.
The rest of the issue takes place in the Daily Bugle office Jameson and the rest of the staff is discussing if they should run the story to discriminate Spider-Man or not (the only one that argues in Spider-Mans favour is Ben Urich that has got an witness report from Spider-Man himself).
Everybody leaves Jamesons office and he locks at the picture and smiles. The end words comes from Jameson "Run it. It's good art."

The last pages showes sketches from Mark Bagley including Green Goblin, Gwen Stacy, Spider-Man, Electro, Kingpin in a real super villain outfit :D , some woman (can be Elektra or Black Cat), another woman in a black dress, Rhino (616 version), Kraven and on the last page some sketches of Peter and (stand alone) MJ in a tiny swimsuit with the text "Man, M.J. is like 15. I'm such a perv".

Last edited:
Ultimate Warrior said:
OK. I will do my best.

It starts in the office of the Daily Bugle with Jameson holding up a picture of Spider-Man beating up a guy and it looks like he also beats up an elderly woman. We then get the full story from Ben Urich that reads from the police report. The woman had shoplifted a pair of sneakers from a store and get cought when she walks out on the streets. She screams that she is pregnant and a big guy shows up to help the woman from the store employee. From nowhere a blond young guy appears and "suggests" that he get his hand off the man. A fight between the big man and the youngster starts, in which the man gets his ass kicked with a few simple moves. When he still don't give up the young guy powers up his right hand (his hand looks like its on flames) and the guy gets scared thinking he is a mutant.
Before the young Iron Fist (well duh) can do anything, Spider-Man swings down knocking him out.
The next scene showing the cops rounding up the involved people and interigating the young Iron Fist and we get to know his name is Danny Rand.
The rest of the issue takes place in the Daily Bugle office Jameson and the rest of the staff is discussing if they should run the story to discriminate Spider-Man or not (the only one that argues in Spider-Mans favour is Ben Urich that has got an witness report from Spider-Man himself).
Everybody leaves Jamesons office and he locks at the picture and smiles. The end words comes from Jameson "Run it. It's good art."

The last pages showes sketches from Mark Bagley including Green Goblin, Gwen Stacy, Spider-Man, Electro, Kingpin in a real super villain outfit :D , some woman (can be Elektra or Black Cat), another woman in a black dress, Rhino (616 version), Kraven and on the last page some sketches of Peter and (stand alone) MJ in a tiny swimsuit with the text "Man, M.J. is like 15. I'm such a perv".

Cool, I'll try to look for it, along with UXM 1/2

TheManWithoutFear said:
Also did anyone who read The Daredevil/Punisher/Spiderman issues notice that when Ultimate Karen Page appeared she wasn't a blonde... :?
....need ...hardcover.....

Why did they not reprint those issues in the sofcovers? I mean come on!

Latest posts

Back