Ultimate Marvel Team-ups

Have you read the Ultimate Team-ups?

• Yes

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i finally got a chance to finsh my set (i bought it off of e-bay, and all in pretty good condition 1-16 first prints)

The only ones i really liked were the DD/Pushier and the spidy/shag chi the others just seemed really out of place or really bad art.

And i think that peter looked different in each mini arc.

and when i read the dr. strange team up in UMTU, at the end i didn't see the doc wipe out/block out the events that happened. and at the end of the dr. strange in USM Doc said that he had blocked the event out of peters head. Does this make sense or is this one of this time line's don't match things?

nigma said:
The only ones i really liked were the DD/Pushier and the spidy/shag chi the others just seemed really out of place or really bad art.

Both the Punisher/Daredevil and Shan Chi ones.... How awesome were they?!

nigma said:
and when i read the dr. strange team up in UMTU, at the end i didn't see the doc wipe out/block out the events that happened. and at the end of the dr. strange in USM Doc said that he had blocked the event out of peters head. Does this make sense or is this one of this time line's don't match things?

If you mean it makes sense in contiuinity because dr. jr. wiped the memory from his head... that's what I was thinkin' too. Magic is so messed up.

[
TheManWithoutFear said:
Both the Punisher/Daredevil and Shan Chi ones.... How awesome were they?!

i've been a spidy fan my whole life, but dd/punisher was one where he should never have appeared, NEVER, the art threw me off at first but, but it worked so well.

and shang chi was mini bruce lee meets yoda (the white ape riddles) spidy was ok there. if they ever make a stand alone for shang chi in UU i'm sold, hell i'll be the first in line to buy it.

If you mean it makes sense in contiuinity because dr. jr. wiped the memory from his head... that's what I was thinkin' too. Magic is so messed up.

yea it doesn't make any sense...

I've noticed that usually Bendis makes an attempt to tie the UMTU issues into the main continuity when the chance presents itself, something that seems to have been done fairly well with the Hulk, Black Widow, and (oddly) the Man-Thing issues. I did notice, however, that he actually seems to have "dis-cluded" the X-Men issue (11) and an argument could be made for the 1st issue with Wolvie. I went back to USM #44 and checked. When he's on the hospital bed he wakes up to the X-Men staring at him without his mask on. Since he had already met Cyclops, Marvel Girl, and (pre-blue) Beast you'd think either he or one of them would have noted this. Oddly, if issue 11 is discounted, then it is possible for discounting issue #1 of UMTU since the two issues had been so closely tied together.

For my two cents on issue 9 - it always seemed to me that it was an April Fools issue that came out may months too early. There's just too much onsense there to ever consider it in continuity and those who do probably watch that Super Dog cartoon on Saturday mornings and complain it isn't in continuity....

And the Daredevil / Punisher Arc: IMO it is nothing to get all that excited about. Yes, the art is great, but the story is fairly bland and it goes back to my complaint that Bendis really didn't bother to make any changes to either of the charcters. It was just an origin story for the Punisher, and establishing the rivalry between him and Daredevil. And Spiderman's inclusion seemed very forced. It may have been a better stor if Bendis hadn't tried to shoe-horn the guy into each issue. I've always assumed that he was told that he needed to include Spidy in each one regardless of what the thing was about. It made the title weaker because of it.

notTHATtodd said:
And the Daredevil / Punisher Arc: IMO it is nothing to get all that excited about. Yes, the art is great, but the story is fairly bland and it goes back to my complaint that Bendis really didn't bother to make any changes to either of the charcters. It was just an origin story for the Punisher, and establishing the rivalry between him and Daredevil. And Spiderman's inclusion seemed very forced. It may have been a better stor if Bendis hadn't tried to shoe-horn the guy into each issue. I've always assumed that he was told that he needed to include Spidy in each one regardless of what the thing was about. It made the title weaker because of it.
:x

Anyway, I was thinking about how much of an idiot Card is if he messes up continuity with the Iron Man minis. I mean he's the only guy in Teamups whose origins were focused on.

TheManWithoutFear said:
:x

Anyway, I was thinking about how much of an idiot Card is if he messes up continuity with the Iron Man minis. I mean he's the only guy in Teamups whose origins were focused on.

Actually I consider Card the author finally "Ultimatizing" Iron Man. For a character that has been bouncing around the Ultimate Universe since (nearly) it's beginning, Iron Man's back story seemed overly close to the 616 for me to give a damn. After all, the reason I've been enjoying the Ultimate lines is because of the opportunity for writers to play with the story lines for a change, and so far no one has bothered in the case of Iron Man. So, more power to Card!

notTHATtodd said:
I've noticed that usually Bendis makes an attempt to tie the UMTU issues into the main continuity when the chance presents itself, something that seems to have been done fairly well with the Hulk, Black Widow, and (oddly) the Man-Thing issues. I did notice, however, that he actually seems to have "dis-cluded" the X-Men issue (11) and an argument could be made for the 1st issue with Wolvie. I went back to USM #44 and checked. When he's on the hospital bed he wakes up to the X-Men staring at him without his mask on. Since he had already met Cyclops, Marvel Girl, and (pre-blue) Beast you'd think either he or one of them would have noted this. Oddly, if issue 11 is discounted, then it is possible for discounting issue #1 of UMTU since the two issues had been so closely tied together.

It never said anything about him not recognizing them. He only asked where he was, and they told him. Not to mention when they met up before in UMTU #11 they were all out of costume, whereas every time after they met up they were in costume. Again, the only issue of UMTU which can be "dis-cluded" as you put it, is UMTU #9 (see below).

For my two cents on issue 9 - it always seemed to me that it was an April Fools issue that came out may months too early. There's just too much onsense there to ever consider it in continuity and those who do probably watch that Super Dog cartoon on Saturday mornings and complain it isn't in continuity....

Even Bendis says this issue isn't in Ultimate continuity, it was a joke issue, i guess an attempt for him to have some fun. There's too much stuff going on for it to be included, besides the ridiculous nature of the story. (thats why I don't include it in the timeline).

Ehhh, I liked this arc, not the greatest Ultimate story by far, but it was better than a lot as well.

My point is, UMTU (all issues but #9) and the Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special still belong in Ultimate continuity. As for the Iron Man origin, I blame the discrepancies on Card, not Bendis. The Iron Man origin (however bland and 616-like it may have been) was written first, and Card decided to further gobbledygook the timeline by ignoring it and writing his own (I expect this might be a result of Card's huge ego). I do find Card's origin much more interesting (at least so far), but he could have made more of an attempt to reconcile the differences between the two. Another thing, Card's origin only comes into conflict with the first few pages of UMTU #4, when Peter is giving the speech about Tony Stark. The rest fits fine. If worse comes to worse, we can assume either Peter's info was faulty for some reason, or Tony made up some fake origin to tell to reporters/the public instead of the one where he had to wear a blue substance on his skin during his childhood. Sounds like something Tony would do just to screw with people, as a sort of joke.

If you want to consider Ultimate Marvel Team-Up not part of the continuity, thats fine, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. But officially its still considered in continuity, and until that changes, it'll stay a part of the timeline.

Well, it's been awhile since I read the UMTUs, but I'll try to give a critque from my POV. I got the hardcover about 2 years ago (Last one at my local comic shop. One of the owners was like "Damn, I was gonna buy that tonight!").

Wolverine vs Sabertooth issue - Not bad. Set up Wolverine and Spidey meeting each other. No continuity issues that I'm aware of. Art wasn't bad here.

Hulk Issues - These were cool. It was mentioned in the Ultimates #2, and set up the infamous "Everything is connected" theory. Goof stuff. Art was good!

Iron Man Issue - Eh. There are a LOT of continuity issues here, due to both Ultimate Iron Man AND Ultimate Fantastic Four. Reed Richards couldn't have gone to college with Tony in 1982, and there is no Victor Von Doom in the Ultimate Universe. It was only OK, IMO. The art didn't feel "Ultimate" to me, either.

Punisher/Dardevil Issues - Some of the best in UMTU. There weren't spectacular (Punisher's origin is almost identical to 616), but they were good. Also set up DD's first meeting and dislike of Spidey. Art was cool.

FF Issue - Funny, but not Ultimate. Art.. .well, sucked.

Man-Thing/Lizard issue - A cool set up for the Lizard, but the appearance and origin of Man-Thing may muck things up due to UFF. Art wasn't too bad.

X-men issue - I *think*, due to the placing of certain UXM storylines, that this couldn't have happened (something to due with Beast not being blue? I can't remember. . .). It was mediocre at best, writing and art.

Dr. Strange issues - Story was intresting (Dr. Strange's son? Cool!), but the art was just BIZZARE. I think this story was briefly mentioned in the Nightmare arc in USM.

Black Widow issues - Good story. Good art. The only problem I can see with this is Doom being the leader of Latveria at this point. It just couldn't have happened yet, due to UFF. It was mentioned in the Blockbuster arc, and set up BW for recruitment into the Ultimates.

Shang-Chi issues - Good overall. No conflicting points (Yet. This could change depending on what Bendis does with Shang-Chi's appearance in Warriors). Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Finally, the Super-Special - Pretty good, introduced Ultimate Blade. Again, I think the issue is very difficult to place (I'll have to read it again). I also felt that Spidey should have recognized Elektra when he fought her in the Cats and Kings arc (Since he sees her in this issue), but he didn't. So, I don't know.

Well, there ya go!

Lynx said:
Iron Man Issue - Eh. There are a LOT of continuity issues here, due to both Ultimate Iron Man AND Ultimate Fantastic Four. Reed Richards couldn't have gone to college with Tony in 1982, and there is no Victor Von Doom in the Ultimate Universe. It was only OK, IMO. The art didn't feel "Ultimate" to me, either.

What? Ummm, you did read UFF, right? His name might not have been Von Doom, but he's become known as that.

Man-Thing/Lizard issue - A cool set up for the Lizard, but the appearance and origin of Man-Thing may muck things up due to UFF. Art wasn't too bad.

Nah, I don't think it'll muck things up any. Hasn't yet anyway.

X-men issue - I *think*, due to the placing of certain UXM storylines, that this couldn't have happened (something to due with Beast not being blue? I can't remember. . .). It was mediocre at best, writing and art.

No, it fits in the timeline. Ordering goes like this:

Ultimate X-Men #1/2, "Burial Service"
Ultimate Spider-Man #1/2
Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #10, "Spider-Man and Man-Thing"
Ultimate X-Men #7, "Return to Weapon X"
Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special #1 (pg. 1-28)
Ultimate Spider-Man #14, "Doctor Octopus"
Ultimate Spider-Man #15, "Confrontations"
Ultimate Spider-Man #16, "Kraven the Hunter"
Ultimate Spider-Man #17, "Taking Advantage" (pg. 1-4)
Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #11, "Spider-Man and the X-Men"
Ultimate X-Men #8, "First Strike"
Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #12, "Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, Part 1" (pg. 3-22)
Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #13, "Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, Part 2"
Ultimate X-Men #9, "No Safe Haven"
Ultimate X-Men #10, "In The Heart of Darkness"
Ultimate X-Men #11, "Sins of the Past" (pg. 10-23)
Ultimate X-Men #12, "End Game"

In #8, Weapon X attack the mansion and kidnap the X-Men. Its somewhere in UXM #9-12 that Beast gets turned into his blue furry form.

Dr. Strange issues - Story was intresting (Dr. Strange's son? Cool!), but the art was just BIZZARE. I think this story was briefly mentioned in the Nightmare arc in USM.

Yup, sure was, though Spidey didn't remember it.

Black Widow issues - Good story. Good art. The only problem I can see with this is Doom being the leader of Latveria at this point. It just couldn't have happened yet, due to UFF. It was mentioned in the Blockbuster arc, and set up BW for recruitment into the Ultimates.

Yeah, the Doom as leader of Latveria definitly hokeys up the timeline, but if we assume the first two UFF arcs ("Fantastic" and "Doom") occur before this point, its possible, however unlikely, he'd already risen to power.

Finally, the Super-Special - Pretty good, introduced Ultimate Blade. Again, I think the issue is very difficult to place (I'll have to read it again). I also felt that Spidey should have recognized Elektra when he fought her in the Cats and Kings arc (Since he sees her in this issue), but he didn't. So, I don't know.

As for this title's placement, the only way for it to make sense is to break up the issue and place it accordingly, like this:

Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special #1 (pg. 1-28)
Ultimate Spider-Man #14, "Doctor Octopus"
Ultimate Spider-Man #15, "Confrontations"
Ultimate Spider-Man #16, "Kraven the Hunter"
Ultimate Spider-Man #17, "Taking Advantage" (pg. 1-4)
Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #11, "Spider-Man and the X-Men"
Ultimate X-Men #8, "First Strike"
Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #12, "Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, Part 1" (pg. 3-22)
Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #13, "Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, Part 2"
Ultimate X-Men #9, "No Safe Haven"
Ultimate X-Men #10, "In The Heart of Darkness"
Ultimate X-Men #11, "Sins of the Past" (pg. 10-23)
Ultimate X-Men #12, "End Game"
Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #14, "Spider-Man and Black Widow" (pg. 4-22)
The Ultimates #2, "Big"
The Ultimates #3, "21st Century Boy"
Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special #1 (pg. 29-64)

Check out the timeline here for info on what order everything plays out:

http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3293&page=1

Hope that helps!!

DIrishB said:
What? Ummm, you did read UFF, right? His name might not have been Von Doom, but he's become known as that.

The only reference to the Doom name at all, IIRC, in UFF was the name of that particular arc, "Doom". They've never called him by anything other then Victor Van Damme. Plus, it still leaves the point that Reed could never have gone to college with Tony, especially in 1982.

Lynx said:
The only reference to the Doom name at all, IIRC, in UFF was the name of that particular arc, "Doom". They've never called him by anything other then Victor Van Damme. Plus, it still leaves the point that Reed could never have gone to college with Tony, especially in 1982.

this is true, but its generally accepted his villain name is in fact Doom. The Reed/Tony thing definitly makes no sense. Especially since Reed couldn't have been born until 1981.

Last edited:
DIrishB said:
this is true, but its generally accepted his villain name is in fact Doom. The Reed/Tony thing definitly makes no sense. Especially since Reed couldn't have been born until 1981.

I know what your saying. I'm sure he'll officially be called Doom in later arcs, and your right, it was implied that was what he'd be called due to the arc's name. Hell, I think Von Doom was fine, I don't know why they changed it to the hokey Van Damme. It made more sense for him to be called Dr. Doom when his name was Von Doom. Silly Millar and Bendis. :lol:

I know what your saying. I'm sure he'll officially be called Doom in later arcs, and your right, it was implied that was what he'd be called due to the arc's name. Hell, I think Von Doom was fine, I don't know why they changed it to the hokey Van Damme. It made more sense for him to be called Dr. Doom when his name was Von Doom. Silly Millar and Bendis.

Maybe in a future arc they'll have a story where Victor turns out to be Jean-Claude Van Damme's love child?

Last edited:
DIrishB said:
Maybe in a future arc they'll have a story where Victor turns out to be Jean-Claude Van Damme's love child?

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

And Prof. X is really Vin Deisel. And they fight. And it is awesome. And it is called "Ultimate SUPERAWESOMEKRAZYCOOLOHMY****INGGODICAN'TBELIEVEHOWAWESOMETHISISWARNIGHTMARESECRETARRIVALEXTINCTIONDIESELVANDAMMEULTRAMEGAAWESOMESHOWDOWN".

DIrishB said:
Especially since Reed couldn't have been born until 1981.

But he's super smart! Maybe he went to college when he was 1!!!!!!111oneoneoneOMGLOLZ

The fact that Latveria won the bid for reed richards in the last arc has me convinced that Victor Van Damne simply has superty dooper citizenships all over Europe. I'd guess that he set up base in Copenhagen because he knew he had political power there, but his true home is Latveria. I mean, Vlad Dracula wasn't Danish, he lived in Romania. Romania is near Latveria, if i'm correct...

And I mean, how long would it take a Latverian Noble with Mind-controlling devices to take over the Government of a post-USSR eastern european country? Like, ten minutes?

And I suspect a few years have passed since America was pushed out... but is that time enough for one of Latveria's top men to start pushing offers to Tony Stark about his suit?

I don't know. i hope they resolve this soon.

Dr.Strangefate said:
I mean, Vlad Dracula wasn't Danish, he lived in Romania. Romania is near Latveria, if i'm correct...
It's implied but that's not explicitly stated. I guess one could say that Latveria and Romania are both in Eastern Europe, but their exact proximity is yet to be established finalized.

Dr.Strangefate said:
The fact that Latveria won the bid for reed richards in the last arc has me convinced that Victor Van Damne simply has superty dooper citizenships all over Europe.
Hey! Us, too! :lol:

Lol, seriously, I remember reading that in the arc somewhere. So yeah, we're all convinced! :D

Latest posts

Back