Ultimate Marvel Team-ups

Have you read the Ultimate Team-ups?

• Yes

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What issue are we talknig about? He was a lighter tone in USM than UXM and it kept changing...

In return to weapon x nick fury appeared very light toned, he also had a completely different image (appearnce such as hair and outfit), Maybe a darker white but his skin tone has since drastically changed. Actually you can see them darkening his skin in ultimate team ups through his few appearences. Anyway the point I was making was things in continuity can easily change, so you must keep that in mind if u didnt read team up before all the more popular ultimate comics. I read them at the time they were coming out , so i had a different view on the ultimate universe, but I still think, if not for nothing, there very interesting stories, and lets be honest, you can still tell what stories were intended to be in team ups *cough*jump the shark*cough*

and as for the art, well it was an interesting concept allowing different artists to showcase there work each month and show there "Ultimate" take on things...

the artwork was always hit or miss.... and unfortuneatly miss happened a few too many times

Last edited:
I read them. Art was pretty dodgy. Stories were pretty average. But the super special............AAAAAHGHUGHUGH.

The biggest Continuity problem that hasn't been addressed is that of Latveria and that Dr. Doom was noted to be the country's dictator in UMTU. And his prime minister met with Tony Stark about the Irontech armor, and then the Embassy was infiltrated by Black Widow, where she stole spidey's web slingers (referenced in blockbuster), and gets recruited by Fury.

And now Dr. Doom is an 18 yr old living-metal demon.... and there has been no mention of Latveria.

How was he mentioned? It better not be something like...

"There's an OWL in that tree!"

In Teamup # 7, Murdock is the the lawyer for this cop, one of the same cops that Frank Castle is going after... When the cops tells the story as to why Frank Castle was targeted and his family was accidently killed, he mentions that it was because Castle was a good cop who disagreed with the acts of corruption his fellow cops were doing. He also said that it all began with the bad cops making deals with "The Owl", who was making deals with cops who "went the extra mile"

Nothing big but it put a smile on my face...

the only thing i can say towards the whole iron man meeting with latveria prime minister and doom (and remember just because hes a kid doesnt mean he cant become a dictator, and once thats done im sure its not too hard to set up an entire government, plus he was wealthy and had means in the f4) is this.

In Ultimate Team Up tony says he wont sell the information over to anyone, and at the end of that issue even fury says that the US wants the tech. Now take this into consideration. (Just a theory) Stark is a multi billionare in the ultimates, not a soilder, he doesn't need the job with them hes doing it to do something with his life before he dies. In fact, if anyone is benefiting from having him on the team for his armor and celebrity status, its shield and fury. Just to point out, Nick Fury isnt the nicest guy in the world, we all just sorta grew to love him, think about that one for a second.

Now what my theory is in putting the UMTU with the continuity is this,
First consider Hank Pym might have hit something on the head. He mentioned The eccentric super heros and playboys are paving the way for super soilder grunts. Shield wants pyms Ultron design, and why has Banner REALLY been kept alive? Because he was one of the team? or for the sole purpose of getting more science out of him, i mean when the public came screaming for the hulks death, fury had no problem giving him up.
Also, Fury has access to examining the iron man tech before each mission to make sure the suits up to par (but lets say they are really examinging the suit) Maybe Stark catches wind of this and why he was REALLY invited to join the ultimates, (so the us gov. could steal the tech right out from under him) He quits, within a year or 2 UMTU occurs.

Like i said its just a theory, and its the best explanation i can offer to that team up issue, and the only thing i can really add to that is that in regulare marvel continuity i believe WAR MACHINE was a us government run program using the ironman technology

of course then u have to take each issue of UMTU as entirely seperate and not being continuous within itself which can be silly to some people

Last edited:
big danny d said:
(Just a theory) Stark is a multi billionare in the ultimates, not a soilder, he doesn't need the job with them hes doing it to do something with his life before he dies. In fact, if anyone is benefiting from having him on the team for his armor and celebrity status, its shield and fury. Just to point out, Nick Fury isnt the nicest guy in the world, we all just sorta grew to love him, think about that one for a second.

Isn't that what Stark said was his reason for joining the team in the first arc? Or was it the second? Oh well, Ultiamtes 1 somewhere at dinner with Thor and Capn'. I thought he freely gave the tech to S.H.I.E.L.D.?

I've yet to read the first few issues, can't seem to find the V1 TPB or the Hardcover (Anyone can help me on that please PM me), but I enjoyed what I saw. The FF issue is out of continuity, plain and simple, but keeping that in mind is a fun read, just don't take it seriously.

THe insequential issuing isn't a bad idea BDD, some issues have obviously already happened (Lizard, Widow, Hulk), but if things fit better shipped around then there's really no reason for it not to be.

Edit: And I really liked the X-Men in the mall issue. Might just be me, but I thought it was good.

Baxter said:
The FF issue is out of continuity, plain and simple, but keeping that in mind is a fun read, just don't take it seriously.

Can I disagree with you Baxter? I seriously think something wrong happened at Marvel. I don't know why they put this out. It was terrible not even fun/funny.

Baxter said:
Edit: And I really liked the X-Men in the mall issue. Might just be me, but I thought it was good.

No it's not, I liked it too.

Interesting theory big danny...

I think the only decent one was the FF team-up. It was amusing.
The rest were pretty pedestrian, and all wrong for the Ultimate continuity. Not necessarily bad books, just not worth it, average writing, average art.

I nearly died laughing reading the Ultimate Team Up issue with the FF... Utterly hillarious. Obviously not in continuity at all, but who cares. The others were a little up and down... Highlights were the Mall X-Men issue, the Punisher/DD three parter and maybe the Hulk one. The Super Special was also great. If nothing else, it was some good Marvel exposure for some great artists.

Latest posts

Back