Ultimate Marvel Timeline / Chronology (v. 3.0)

Jred said:
ok, i've got some more evidense on why i think at least x-men 1-12 should be in 2001. on page 13 of UXM 11 at the top Col. Wraith asks "Is there any truth to this rumor that SHIELD is phasing out over the next two years" and on the bottom some military guys says to Wraith "Yes, Weapon X will be phased out between now and winter 2003".

i am only up to UXM 11 in your timeline, but more and more it seems this stuff is in 2001 and not 2003.

again, great work so far, these are just my observations and my opinions.

I don't have copies of those issues handy, but I've read them quite a few times. I don't remember that response.

Jred said:
ok, i've got some more evidense on why i think at least x-men 1-12 should be in 2001. on page 13 of UXM 11 at the top Col. Wraith asks "Is there any truth to this rumor that SHIELD is phasing out over the next two years" and on the bottom some military guys says to Wraith "Yes, Weapon X will be phased out between now and winter 2003".

i am only up to UXM 11 in your timeline, but more and more it seems this stuff is in 2001 and not 2003.

Thats true, but then again one can just say certain aspects of Weapon X will be phased out between then and 2003. And my placement of the early UXM arcs in 2003 still allows for them to be phased out later that year. Also, it would make the direct 2004 reference in Ultimate Nightmare make much less sense.

Its cool, like I said it only serves to make the timeline better.

ProjectX2 said:
don't have copies of those issues handy, but I've read them quite a few times. I don't remember that response.

He's right, I remember them. One of the main reasons I placed UXM's early arcs in 2003 was due to that specific year's reference in the Weapon X arc.

Jred said:

It was originally meant to be there, but due to other continuity aspects, it can no longer be placed there. In my opinion, comics shouldn't have year references for this reason.

Pandrio said:
It was originally meant to be there, but due to other continuity aspects, it can no longer be placed there. In my opinion, comics shouldn't have year references for this reason.

This is true, its all about the advancing timeline. As time passes in the real world, year/time references change to make the story current and have more meaning to it. So even though we've had several specific year references, in a few years we'll probably see a book or mini which specifically states the story takes place in 2008 or something...even though 4 years wouldn't have passed in the Ultimate titles themselves.

In terms of using years, as it stands now it works, and given the specific references/mentions of those years, it makes no sense NOT to include them. As I said, at some point a story will probably be released which throws a wrench in things in that way, but until it is the timeline works as is.

DIrishB said:
In terms of using years, as it stands now it works, and given the specific references/mentions of those years, it makes no sense NOT to include them.
I just meant that they shouldn't have included them in the comics to start with.

Here's another continuity glitch that compromises the timeline....

In #2 of the first Ultimates series, Stark asks Fury if he's contacted the Fantastic Four, about being part of the Ultimates, who are not yet a team. This implies that the Fantastic Four are already an established team and that the public knows about them.

In Ultimate Fantastic Four #5, Dr. Storm yells to Johnny, to let the Ultimates handle the Moleman's monster. At this point, in the UFF title, they're not officially a team and the public doesn't even know about them.

So how can the Ultimates even consider inviting the FF to join, if the FF don't exist yet? If you want to say that the FF existed first, then how can Dr. Storm say to let the Ultimates handle it?

JOHN

EvilSickSix6 said:

It has been addressed a few times in previous versions of the timeline, and I assume Irish will be including it in his FAQ when it's ready.

UltimateE said:
It has been addressed a few times in previous versions of the timeline, and I assume Irish will be including it in his FAQ when it's ready.

Speaking of which I have to get back to working on that. But since the FAQ isn't even close to done, here's the answer:

EvilSickSix6 said:

In #2 of the first Ultimates series, Stark asks Fury if he's contacted the Fantastic Four, about being part of the Ultimates, who are not yet a team. This implies that the Fantastic Four are already an established team and that the public knows about them.

In Ultimate Fantastic Four #5, Dr. Storm yells to Johnny, to let the Ultimates handle the Moleman's monster. At this point, in the UFF title, they're not officially a team and the public doesn't even know about them.

So how can the Ultimates even consider inviting the FF to join, if the FF don't exist yet? If you want to say that the FF existed first, then how can Dr. Storm say to let the Ultimates handle it?

JOHN

Its a continuity glitch, it doesn't work either way. You have to choose to ignore one, I chose to ignore the UFF reference of the Ultimates. Its also been said in the Ultimate Marvel Special (whatever it was called) that Fury may have had a lesser known team, also called the Ultimates, BEFORE the current Ultimates. Most likely this is the Black Ops team (Hawkeye, Black Widow, etc). So in that sense it works, but honestly its just a continuity discrepancy.

here we go again, except this one is simple.

UXM #16 should be listed as pages 7 - 21 and then 1-6, as 7 says 2 days earlier and leads up to the x-men going to muire island, and then UXM #17 starts off (i think) talking about pages 1 - 6 and refers to them as last night.

whether i'm right about what they are talking about in the beginning of #17 or not, it still says 2 days earlier on page 7 of UXM #16.

hope this helps.

Jred said:
here we go again, except this one is simple.

UXM #16 should be listed as pages 7 - 21 and then 1-6, as 7 says 2 days earlier and leads up to the x-men going to muire island, and then UXM #17 starts off (i think) talking about pages 1 - 6 and refers to them as last night.

whether i'm right about what they are talking about in the beginning of #17 or not, it still says 2 days earlier on page 7 of UXM #16.

hope this helps.

I'll have to check that when I get home (at a friend's right now), and due to Hurricane Wilma I still don't have power at my place, so I may not be able to answer or change it definitively unil sometime next week.

Also, included Ultimate Secret #4.

I think it's possible, and i don't think this will jack up the lines too much, that the first 5 issues of spider-man (or more) are in 2002. I say this because in USM #45 when Aunt May is talking to the shrink, she says "my husband died over a year ago".

i havn't gone back and re-read the first few books but i know Ben died in USM #5.

Jred said:
I think it's possible, and i don't think this will jack up the lines too much, that the first 5 issues of spider-man (or more) are in 2002. I say this because in USM #45 when Aunt May is talking to the shrink, she says "my husband died over a year ago".

i havn't gone back and re-read the first few books but i know Ben died in USM #5.
The stories all take place within 9 months as of Hobgoblin. The annual was caught up with the rest of the other titles in 2004. It makes a reference to Hobgoblin as a few weeks ago. Since they all can't take place in 2004, this moves everything up into 2003.

Last edited:
Hay, DIrishB. I was reading the Newsletter in the back of Ultimte Spider-Man #85. And one letter asked what was the timeline for the Ultimate Spider-Man Annual? The A: At the End of Wariors arc.

the watcher said:
Hay, DIrishB. I was reading the Newsletter in the back of Ultimte Spider-Man #85. And one letter asked what was the timeline for the Ultimate Spider-Man Annual? The A: At the End of Wariors arc.
That's how it is in the timeline.:?

i'm sorry, i wasn't around from the beginning of the ultimate universe, but wasn't the whole point to make everything super-continuituous? it was going great for a while, but after reading USM 69 i'm very disappointed. or maybe i'm just supposed to assume that the UMTU's never happened?

i say this because i believe it was a UMTU that spider-man went to join the FF4 and when he got rejected he had a conversation with the human torch and they talked. in USM 69 they pretty much meet for "the first time" and while USM 69 was a much better story, these plot holes are frustrating.

Sorry for venting

Last edited:
Jred said:
i'm sorry, i wasn't around from the beginning of the ultimate universe, but wasn't the whole point to make everything super-continuituous? it was going great for a while, but after reading USM 69 i'm very disappointed. or maybe i'm just supposed to assume that the UMTU's never happened?

i say this because i believe it was a UMTU that spider-man went to join the FF4 and when he got rejected he had a conversation with the human torch and they talked. in USM 69 they pretty much meet for "the first time" and while USM 69 was a much better story, these plot holes are frustrating.

Sorry for venting

Anyone else want to take this one?

Latest posts

Back