Ultimate Marvel Timeline / Chronology (v. 3.0)

Jred said:
i say this because i believe it was a UMTU that spider-man went to join the FF4 and when he got rejected he had a conversation with the human torch and they talked. in USM 69 they pretty much meet for "the first time" and while USM 69 was a much better story, these plot holes are frustrating.
Ok. Say this with me:

UMTU #9= Not cannon.

USM 69= Yes cannon.

Not Cannon= Not part of the Ultimate Universe Continuity.

Not part of the Ultimate Universe Continuity= You don't count it at all.

It's been said more times than it should that UMTU #9 is just a joke issue and not to be taken seriously (hence joke issue), and not part of the timeline at all.

Got it? Get it? Good.

thee great one said:
Where has BIrishB been? He's been missing for awhile now.
Well, his power was out from hurricane Wilma. Maybe he hasn't gotten it back yet?

And about the UF4, Bendis put them into UMTU, but then later said that their issue was always just a joke issue. So, issue 9 is outside of continiuty, but Bendis put them into the USM Super Special, which still rests within the UU. For years we've been told there will be an answer to this glitch, but it hasn't come yet. However, some people speculate that Millar's arc in UFF might address this.
So, there are some really bad glitchs with the UF4 and UMTU, but they should be taken care of eventually.

EDIT: Darn you Ice.

Last edited:
Jred said:
i'm sorry, i wasn't around from the beginning of the ultimate universe, but wasn't the whole point to make everything super-continuituous? it was going great for a while, but after reading USM 69 i'm very disappointed. or maybe i'm just supposed to assume that the UMTU's never happened?

i say this because i believe it was a UMTU that spider-man went to join the FF4 and when he got rejected he had a conversation with the human torch and they talked. in USM 69 they pretty much meet for "the first time" and while USM 69 was a much better story, these plot holes are frustrating.

Sorry for venting

Just ignore all UMTU references to F4. Marvel decided to retcon the UMTU F4 with the UF4 series

DirishB, Hawkeye101 and UltimateScarletWitch are having a good time.

Well i havn't read UTMU #9 as it isn't in ths timeline. i've only read the books in this timeline and in that order.

what i'm referring to is from USM super stories ( i went back and looked). so either the super stories are "non-cannon" or it's out of place. i'd probably go with the former as it looks like the exact same artwork as UTMU and perhaps from the same "non-cannon writer".

just my take on it.

At the end of the USM story in which Peter and Johnny meet, Johnny requests that Peter come stop by the Baxter Building some time (if I remember correctly... I don't have my books in front of me). I believe that the UMTU story takes place then.

Jred said:
Well i havn't read UTMU #9 as it isn't in ths timeline. i've only read the books in this timeline and in that order.

what i'm referring to is from USM super stories ( i went back and looked). so either the super stories are "non-cannon" or it's out of place. i'd probably go with the former as it looks like the exact same artwork as UTMU and perhaps from the same "non-cannon writer".

just my take on it.
The USM Super Special was all written by Bendis. The FF appearance is a continuity glitch. For a long time we have been told that there will be an explanation.
mrpopstar said:
At the end of the USM story in which Peter and Johnny meet, Johnny requests that Peter come stop by the Baxter Building some time (if I remember correctly... I don't have my books in front of me). I believe that the UMTU story takes place then.
UMTU #9 is a joke issue, Bendis (the writer) said so. The super special all takes place around the same time, I think, and it has to take place earlier than USM #69.

Last edited:
Pandrio said:
The stories all take place within 9 months as of Hobgoblin. The annual was caught up with the rest of the other titles in 2004. It makes a reference to Hobgoblin as a few weeks ago. Since they all can't take place in 2004, this moves everything up into 2003.

Thanks to Pandrio for unofficially stepping in and answering some of Watchers questions about the timeline. As you may or may not know, due to Hurricane Wilma I was out of power for almost two weeks and just got internet access back today. But I'm back and badder than ever. Ohhhhh, yeah....

Anyway, back to the timeline talk:

Jred said:
Jred i'm sorry, i wasn't around from the beginning of the ultimate universe, but wasn't the whole point to make everything super-continuituous? it was going great for a while, but after reading USM 69 i'm very disappointed. or maybe i'm just supposed to assume that the UMTU's never happened?

This is a result of the UFF being changed in terms of their appearance between their characterizations in the UMTU and then in the UFF issues. In the UMTU appearances, the UFF are much closer to their 616 counterparts, whereas the UFF in the ongoing are much younger versions. At some point Bendis and Millar decided to make the UFF younger and so the change carried over even to their continuity apparently. We've been told time and again at some point this issue would be addressed in the comics themselves, and after reading the solicitation for the President Thor arc and seeing it involves time travel, that seems like a likely candidate to answer these questions. I say, look to President Thor.

icemastertron said:
It's been said more times than it should that UMTU #9 is just a joke issue and not to be taken seriously (hence joke issue), and not part of the timeline at all.

Got it? Get it? Good.

Couldn't have said it better.

thee great one said:
Where has BIrishB been? He's been missing for awhile now.

I finally unhooked from the Matrix. But like Joe Pantoliano, I wanted back in.

Pandrio said:
Well, his power was out from hurricane Wilma. Maybe he hasn't gotten it back yet?

And about the UF4, Bendis put them into UMTU, but then later said that their issue was always just a joke issue. So, issue 9 is outside of continiuty, but Bendis put them into the USM Super Special, which still rests within the UU. For years we've been told there will be an answer to this glitch, but it hasn't come yet. However, some people speculate that Millar's arc in UFF might address this.
So, there are some really bad glitchs with the UF4 and UMTU, but they should be taken care of eventually.

Pandrio the man. This should answer that question. I'm going to have to put an addendum onto the Timeline FAQ about the UMTU #9 issue.

Jred said:
Jred Well i havn't read UTMU #9 as it isn't in ths timeline. i've only read the books in this timeline and in that order.

I'm honored.

just my take on it.

Yes, even though the UMTU #9 isn't canon, the USM Super Special is. There are a few instances where it "crosses over" directly with both USM #14 and The Ultimates #3. Up to this point, EVERYTHING Ultimate (except UMTU #9) is canon. We're all still waiting on the answer to the differences between the two UFF's (the one from the Super Special and the one from the ongoing), which I'm hoping will occur in the President Thor arc.

mrpopstar said:

Are you referring to UMTU #9 or the USM Super Special #1? If you mean UMTU #9, its non canon so it doesn't go anywhere. If you mean the Super Special, since it specifically crosses over with USM #14 and The Ultimates #3, it takes place around then, not much later after USM #69.

I personally don't consider the Super Special canon as it contradicts quite a bit, most notably the bit at the end about Peter's dad.

Is this series in continuity? What kind of lasting ramifications will this series has?

DL: Yes, it's within Ultimate continuity and you'd have to ask these guys specifically for the timing on where this falls. I don't want to give away anything that Mark is doing in his book, but this story starts roughly six-to-eight months after Banner's "execution" on the decommissioned aircraft carrier, at least in issue #1. In issue #2 we go back to that moment and track Banner across the globe to where he ends up so that he and Wolverine are in the same place and ready to start fighting by the end of the second issue. We jump forward and back in time in the same fun way that Bendis and Mark do. By the end of this story, where it ends up, it will function within Ultimate continuity, but I do not know where we'll be in those other books, specifically "The Ultimates." I don't want to give away what Mark or Jeph Loeb's plans for Banner, if any, are.
Thought this would help you out, DB. :)

Mavrick889 said:
I personally don't consider the Super Special canon as it contradicts quite a bit, most notably the bit at the end about Peter's dad.
Well, I haven't read it, but if no one actually said it was out of continuity (like issue 9 of UMTU) then I would regard it as in continuity.

We jump forward and back in time in the same fun way that Bendis and Mark do.

When Bendis does it it's not fun. It's painful.

Mavrick889 said:

There are some things in the Super Special which cause problems, but I don't remember anything about Peter's dad being one of them.

icemastertron said:
Thought this would help you out, DB.

Appreciate it Ice, I just read that too. I figure where I have it placed now works out with that estimation, but once the books starts shipping I'm sure I'll have to break it up by page number to account for the flashbacks, etc.

Pandrio said:
Well, I haven't read it, but if no one actually said it was out of continuity (like issue 9 of UMTU) then I would regard it as in continuity.

Exactly. Many people argue I shouldn't include the UMTU issues because there are a few discrepancies which arise from it. But by that logic I should either be ignoring Ultimates #2 or UFF due to the discrepancies between the two. Point is this is a comprehensive Ultimate timeline, so its going to include everything, discrepancy or not. Its set up to minimize those discrepancies as much as possible, but there are several cases where no matter how its set up this is still the case. Anyway, people are more than welcome to include or disclude what they want in regards to the timeline, but since I'm working on a comprehensive version, everything must be included (except UMTU #9).

UltimateE said:
When Bendis does it it's not fun. It's painful.

I agree. Some of his more recent USM arcs have been like Pulp Fiction on acid (Hobgoblin anyone?).

Hey, DIrishB

I think the timeline is an awesome idea. I always wanted to put one together myself except I haven't read everything from the UU (mainly skipped the smaller minis like Adventures and DD/Elektra) and it takes so much time.

Anyways, I may have just missed it somewhere, but I think you forgot to include the specific flashback (from the video) in USM#33 as a seperate part of the timeline circa 1993. Sorry if you do have it in and I missed it.

Nas

Nas-T! said:
Anyways, I may have just missed it somewhere, but I think you forgot to include the specific flashback (from the video) in USM#33 as a seperate part of the timeline circa 1993. Sorry if you do have it in and I missed it.
Well, that flashback was basically just watching the video, right? I don't think it would make as much sense if it was read without the issue itself. Therefore, I think it should stay the way it is in the timeline.

Nas-T! said:
Hey, DIrishB

I think the timeline is an awesome idea. I always wanted to put one together myself except I haven't read everything from the UU (mainly skipped the smaller minis like Adventures and DD/Elektra) and it takes so much time.

Nas

Pandrio said:
Well, that flashback was basically just watching the video, right? I don't think it would make as much sense if it was read without the issue itself. Therefore, I think it should stay the way it is in the timeline.

Exactly. I only include flashbacks which aren't being told as a story within the story, and in that case it was merely Peter in present time watching a video of past events, whereas in UFF #1, for example, all the page break-ups are for specific events happening in that present, but still our past. I know that sounds confusing but it makes sense if you actually were to sit down and read every Ultimate issue in the order of the timeline. I also don't include flashbacks that include a voiceover of a character in the present, because this is merely that character telling a story in present time instead of it actually happening in the past. I hope that makes sense.

Latest posts

Back