Ultimate Marvel Timeline / Chronology (v. 3.0)

Yep. Still a fun arc, though I'm angry at Bendis' feeling that he needed to alter the events near the end (game vs. comic). I'll find a way to explain the differences in the end...there've been MUCH worse continuity gaffes in the Ultimate universe.

hahaha, you're so stubborn! (but then i guess if you weren't you would have given up on this timeline a long time ago!)

and I'm pretty sure captaincanuck65 loves the timeline discussion too.
it's true

so just re-read the hobgoblin arc and it mentions that it has been 9 months since the first issue, so altogether i would say there has been a total of about a year and 3 months since the beginning of ultimate spider-man.

so just re-read the hobgoblin arc and it mentions that it has been 9 months since the first issue, so altogether i would say there has been a total of about a year and 3 months since the beginning of ultimate spider-man.

Again, take any time references in USM with a grain of salt. Bendis' time-jumps in the previous issues: 3 months between the first arc and the Double Trouble arc, 4 months during the Hollywood arc, 2 months during the Carnage arc, and I think there might've been a few other mentions of time-jumps or how long had passed between certain events. So, 3+4+2=9. So if we're to believe thats accurate, the events of the previous issues had to happen in less than a month for all that time to pass and Bendis' time-jumps to remain accurate. It just doesn't work.

And its not a case of certain time jumps occuring between or during earlier issues, since continuity wise there's always a reason this can't be done. For instance, Gwen appearing towards the end of the Hollywood arc (before and after the 4 month time jump) means the entire arc HAS to occur before the next arc (the Carnage arc), and since she lives with Peter during this arc, it occurs after the Public Scrutiny arc (if I recall thats when her dad, Capt. Stacy was killed, and she moved in with Peter and Aunt May).

As I've stated many times, Bendis is extremely liberal in his timeline references (in both mentions of time passing and continuity--for the Ultimate line in general and his own USM tales), so never set them in concrete or try to structure the other Ultimate titles around it. I use the time references in Ultimates and Ultimate FF mostly, since those seem to be the most accurate overall.

Remember, if you figure Bendis is to be believed that 9 months passed between issue #1 and #72 of USM, then by this point in the series Peter should have been Spider-Man for well over a year. But, we know a year hasn't passed, technically, since Peter is still a sophomore, and all his friends are still sophomores, there's been no summer vacation, etc.

Bendis himself has said he never wants Ultimate Peter Parker to age...in his opinion the regular Spider-Man got boring or lost something when Peter grew up, went to college, became an adult, etc. Bendis wants to keep Ultimate Peter/Spider-Man 15 years old forever. Seriously, I remember him saying exactly that in interviews several times. So, while time seems to progress in other Ultimate titles, it doesn't really in USM, which makes for strange bed-fellows continuity-wise when those other titles do progress in time. I mean, if two or three years has passed in the Ultimates (since their creation), and approximately three to four years for the UFF (since their creation), how has only one passed in the USM title (when its referenced events in other titles which span those time frames)?

Its not a big deal, but for continuity nuts like myself it can be mighty irksome.

Last edited:
See this is what drives me insane. Let him grow up! Seriously, he obviously doesn't have faith in himself as a writer as he thinks if he lets Peter grow up then the stories will become boring. If you are reading this Bendis, it's not the fact that Parker is growing up that the stories become boring, it's the writer behind that story. If he was so certain of himself as a good writer, he would let him grow up. Seriously i want Bendis to leave now and let someone else take over the reigns and make Parker grow up and let that new writer bring a new dynamic to the story. I mean once Millar finishes Ultimate Avengers then he should take a shot at writing Spidey because he might be able to put a new focus on it. I would love Millar's take one Spidey. Although i would also like to bring in someone else, like Joss Whedon, i think that he could really do some chaage with Spidey, i mean he did a good job on X-Men.
But seriously Bendis, leave the Ultimate Universe, your time has come and gone. Long gone.

Last edited:
Ultimate Spider-Man is still the best Ultimate book by far, and a really good comic overall since regaining its high school focus, so I have no idea what you're complaining about.

I never said it was a bad comic book, or that Bendis was bad, but it's time to have a bit of change in the focus of the book. I would like to see Peter go on summer vacation, or a christmas holiday or just let him grow up or something different. I would love to see Peter go to college in a few years and just be Peter Parker, not Peter Parker at high school.

I never said it was a bad comic book, or that Bendis was bad, but it's time to have a bit of change in the focus of the book. I would like to see Peter go on summer vacation, or a christmas holiday or just let him grow up or something different. I would love to see Peter go to college in a few years and just be Peter Parker, not Peter Parker at high school.

But why does the focus need to be changed if it's still an excellent book now?

They went away from High School for so long it was getting boring, if anything the focus just shifted back to it recently and they should stick with it.

I agree with Joe on that point. Bendis wanted a main focus of this book to be teen angst and drama...that equals high school. Granted, this doesn't mean Peter can't age at all (as is the case in USM). I think each 100 issues should roughly equal a year in the USM timeline, so therefore at this point Peter would still be early into his junior year, and he wouldn't even graduate high school until around issue 300...considering thats like 15 years away at earliest in real time (and realistically USM will never run for that many issues), that gives Bendis plenty of room to explore the high school drama angle. At some point the focus of the book should change, but I don't think its time yet. I think the high school setting still works and is one of the stronger elements of the book in terms of what it brings to the title. But at some point, Peter should graduate and go to college. The character is going to need to grow beyond high school at some point...there's only so many ways you can spin that high school drama. I really do think the 100 issues = 1 year (in the comics) is the best approach for what Bendis is aiming for with the title.

Last edited:
I agree with Joe on that point. Bendis wanted a main focus of this book to be teen angst and drama...that equals high school. Granted, this doesn't mean Peter can't age at all (as is the case in USM). I think each 100 issues should roughly equal a year in the USM timeline, so therefore at this point Peter would still be early into his junior year, and he wouldn't even graduate high school until around issue 300...considering thats like 15 years away at earliest in real time (and realistically USM will never run for that many issues), that gives Bendis plenty of room to explore the high school drama angle. At some point the focus of the book should change, but I don't think its time yet. I think the high school setting still works and is one of the stronger elements of the book in terms of what it brings to the title. But at some point, Peter should graduate and go to college. The character is going to need to grow beyond high school at some point...there's only so many ways you can spin that high school drama. I really do think the 100 issues = 1 year (in the comics) is the best approach for what Bendis is aiming for with the title.

Yeah, I think that the 100 issues=1 year idea is a good time scale. I vaguely remember Bendis saying something to that effect, though I might be mistaken. I know that I have heard it before.

I looked at USM #59 and Gwen is too far away to see the color of her eyes. So could the '4 months later' happen after War of the Symbiotes?

I looked at USM #59 and Gwen is too far away to see the color of her eyes. So could the '4 months later' happen after War of the Symbiotes?

Its Gwen, color of the eyes or not. I suppose its possible to place it as such, but I don't think thats what Bendis intended originally so doing so might screw up placements for upcoming stories.

I'm just going to leave it as is and just keep ignoring Bendis' timeline references in USM (unless of course they actually make sense).

I dont understand why you have the ultimate spiderman annual 1 set after the most dangerous game arc of x-men, kitty clearly mentions spider-man as her boyfriend.

In USM, the Rhino battle in War of the Symbiotes and USM annual #1 are obviously the same battle. Why are they apart?

Latest posts

Back