Ultimate Marvel Timeline / Chronology (v. 3.0)

Updated for USM #126 and Ultimates 3 #5.

USM #126 continues Bendis' tradition of spitting in the face of his own (and the rest of the Ultimate universe's) continuity.

The Ultimates appear in this story, and Thor speaks as if its post-Ultimates 2. Nick Fury is around in the flashbacks, so its still pre-Ultimate Power. Peter and MJ are still dating in this story, so its either before the Hobgoblin arc or after the Clone Saga arc.

I'm just going to go ahead and ignore the Thor God-speak stuff, and assume this issue takes place near the end of the video game (an unseen portion of the video game story, if you will), which occurs between Ultimate Six and the USM Cats and Kings arc. Its really the only way it works with the MJ and Nick Fury stuff. Unless I remove the game completely, which I'm still not willing to do, even though as it stands now the story endings are diverging completely, but we'll see how it turns out in the remaining two issues.

And Ultimates 3 #5 sucked balls. God, what a terrible ****ing mess. The only good thing about the entirety of Ultimates 3 was Mad's rendering of Dr. Doom in the final panel of the last page. I liked that one panel. But yeah, the other 99.9% sucked completely. This was an embarrassment. Loeb should be ashamed of himself.

I just read Ultimate Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and I was wondering...when Johnny Storm gets a call from the Fantastic Four about some emergency and has to leave, does that tie into one of the adventures the Fantastic Four have?

Updated for USM #126 and Ultimates 3 #5.

Unless I remove the game completely, which I'm still not willing to do, even though as it stands now the story endings are diverging completely, but we'll see how it turns out in the remaining two issues.

[Bad Fake Brooklyn Accent] De Nile ain't only a rivah in Africa! [/Bad Fake Brooklyn Accent]

:lol:

Last edited:
I just read Ultimate Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and I was wondering...when Johnny Storm gets a call from the Fantastic Four about some emergency and has to leave, does that tie into one of the adventures the Fantastic Four have?

Could be, but I assume they always have adventures (even some not seen in the comics) so I'm not holding it occurrences in UFF.

captaincanuck65 said:
[Bad Fake Brooklyn Accent] De Nile ain't only a rivah in Africa! [/Bad Fake Brooklyn Accent]

Yeah, yeah. As said, if the next two issues continue with the different take on the story's ending, I'll remove the game. Or, if possible, I'll just try to work the events of both the game's ending and the arc's ending into an attempt at a single story...right now I'm assuming the next few issues will occur before the final level(s) of the game where Venom and Peter/Carnage fight.

It remains to be seen, but if necessary I will remove it. Just don't want to do so prematurely.

Could be, but I assume they always have adventures (even some not seen in the comics) so I'm not holding it occurrences in UFF.

I think the Fantastic Four visiting Project Pegasus during Ultimate Origins fits pretty well... since Spider-man hasn't been home in present time yet. The next arc has been all flashback, and he could see the Watcher in his attic in a couple issues when the time-line reaches the present.

I think the Fantastic Four visiting Project Pegasus during Ultimate Origins fits pretty well... since Spider-man hasn't been home in present time yet. The next arc has been all flashback, and he could see the Watcher in his attic in a couple issues when the time-line reaches the present.

Good point. I'm gonna change it to reflect that.

See, as much as I loved the USM video game, I now kinda consider it more of an alternate ending. 'Cause, as you probably know, the Beetle battle in #124 takes place before the musium fight. Though in the video game, it takes place after, and he went after some sandman thing instead of a sample of the suit. And as Bendis said, the arc is only an adaption. And then we have the whole Ultimate Origans and the plane crash as a cover up for the Hulk thing. So how could Eddie Brock Sr. destroy the plane? (I'm not completely sure since I've never really read Ult. Origans yet, but that's what I've heard.) So as much as I hate to say it, and I definitly agree on waiting for the next two issues, but I think part of the video game has to go.

See, as much as I loved the USM video game, I now kinda consider it more of an alternate ending. 'Cause, as you probably know, the Beetle battle in #124 takes place before the musium fight. Though in the video game, it takes place after, and he went after some sandman thing instead of a sample of the suit. And as Bendis said, the arc is only an adaption. And then we have the whole Ultimate Origans and the plane crash as a cover up for the Hulk thing. So how could Eddie Brock Sr. destroy the plane? (I'm not completely sure since I've never really read Ult. Origans yet, but that's what I've heard.) So as much as I hate to say it, and I definitly agree on waiting for the next two issues, but I think part of the video game has to go.

Welcome, xsonicx08!

Hey guys
I love this timeline. Hopefully after ultimatum we will get a rounded timeline to start anew. It wont be all a mess as they will all end in ultimatum so that will be the start of a new timeline to say. Im just about to start reading all the issues in timeline order. Im going to give myself a good year or so. Im not going to read it page by page order but rather in issue order. It wont be as correct because that will take some time, but i will just read the issue that fits into the timeline, if you know what i mean. Good job, well done.

And then we have the whole Ultimate Origans and the plane crash as a cover up for the Hulk thing. So how could Eddie Brock Sr. destroy the plane?

Eddie Brock Sr DID NOT destroy the plane in the USM video game! It crashed. It is implied that Trask may have sabotaged it (just like in the comics!)

and the plane crash COULD NOT have been a cover up for Hulk b/c the plane crash happend when Peter was 5 or 6 and Hulk happened when Peter was a baby.

and DIrishB,
how much do you care about the marvel handbooks? b/c i was just looking at the Officail Marvel Handbook for USM/UFF 2005 and it doesn't hold the appearence of the UFF in the USM Super-Special as in-continuity. It claims that the UFF's first appearance is in UFF #1 (2004) and not UMTU (2002) OR USMSS (2002), but it lists Elektra's first appearance as USMSS, and many other characters' first appearances in UMTU ( Shang Chi, Dr Strange, Dare Devil, Punisher, Man Thing, Curtis Conners, General Ross... and the Officail Marvel Handbook for UXM/Ultimates 2005 list Hulk, Nick Fury, Iron Man, Black Widow, and Sabretooth as first appeating in UMTU). In other words, these handbooks don't ignore UMTU or USMSS, but exclude and reference to them prior to UFF #1 in 2004. Just thought i'd throw that out there for your consideration!

Last edited:

It most likely will be. Unless the next two issues really tie into the game, I'll probably be removing it once this arc is done.

Hey guys
I love this timeline. Hopefully after ultimatum we will get a rounded timeline to start anew. It wont be all a mess as they will all end in ultimatum so that will be the start of a new timeline to say. Im just about to start reading all the issues in timeline order. Im going to give myself a good year or so. Im not going to read it page by page order but rather in issue order. It wont be as correct because that will take some time, but i will just read the issue that fits into the timeline, if you know what i mean. Good job, well done.

Good luck with it! If you want, try and use Vintsukka's Ultimate Marvel TPB Timeline. It was based off this timeline, but just breaks it up by individual TPB instead of individual issues and page numbers. Its a way less obsessed version than mine, and probably much better suited to actually reading them in a chronological order. Anyway, good luck with it!

Eddie Brock Sr DID NOT destroy the plane in the USM video game! It crashed. It is implied that Trask may have sabotaged it (just like in the comics!)

and the plane crash COULD NOT have been a cover up for Hulk b/c the plane crash happend when Peter was 5 or 6 and Hulk happened when Peter was a baby.

and DIrishB,
how much do you care about the marvel handbooks? b/c i was just looking at the Officail Marvel Handbook for USM/UFF 2005 and it doesn't hold the appearence of the UFF in the USM Super-Special as in-continuity. It claims that the UFF's first appearance is in UFF #1 (2004) and not UMTU (2002) OR USMSS (2002), but it lists Elektra's first appearance as USMSS, and many other characters' first appearances in UMTU ( Shang Chi, Dr Strange, Dare Devil, Punisher, Man Thing, Curtis Conners, General Ross... and the Officail Marvel Handbook for UXM/Ultimates 2005 list Hulk, Nick Fury, Iron Man, Black Widow, and Sabretooth as first appeating in UMTU). In other words, these handbooks don't ignore UMTU or USMSS, but exclude and reference to them prior to UFF #1 in 2004. Just thought i'd throw that out there for your consideration!

The Marvel Handbooks I take with a grain of salt. They do a decent job of organizing and summarizing, but they do overlook a lot as well. The Handbooks' exclusion of the early FF appearances in UMTU isn't enough to cause me to remove them from the timeline, though.

In fact, on this thread, the head writer of the Ultimate Handbooks chimes in here on the boards, concerning the Handbooks and Ultimate continuity. Again, I don't necessarily agree with his some of his placements, but he does make some good points, many of which I incorporated.

The Marvel Handbooks I take with a grain of salt. They do a decent job of organizing and summarizing, but they do overlook a lot as well. The Handbooks' exclusion of the early FF appearances in UMTU isn't enough to cause me to remove them from the timeline, though.

In fact, on this thread, the head writer of the Ultimate Handbooks chimes in here on the boards, concerning the Handbooks and Ultimate continuity. Again, I don't necessarily agree with his some of his placements, but he does make some good points, many of which I incorporated.

fair enough, just wondered.

- Any other questions or comments about placements, please post them here![/QUOTE]

Hi I was just wondering where Ultimate Team-up #9 Spider-man & The Fantastic Four fits in to your timeline.

Hi I was just wondering where Ultimate Team-up #9 Spider-man & The Fantastic Four fits in to your timeline.

oh, noobs!

welcome Darth-Assidious
UMTU #9 is not in canon! it was a nonsense issue that was never intended to fit in the timeline

DIrishB

just rereading Ultimate Origins, and looking at your timeline, and you have Steve Rogers becoming Captain America before Nick Fury was given the super soldier serum. UO # 1 says Nick was arrested in 1943 then some undisclosed time later was given the serum, and UO #1 says Steve was recruited in 1942 and then some undisclosed time later was given the serum, but it seems apparent that some amount of time has passed and that Nick Fury HAD to have happened first. (he was the "break through" when Steve Rogers breaks out of the restraints, the soldier say, "here we go again" and Dr Erskine dies after Steve becomes cap.

I'd say Steve gets recruited and prepped over the course of a year, meanwhile they are doing trials on black prisoners of war, it works on Fury, so they give the serum to Rogers. That also makes it fit with Cap's comment (i think in Ultimates) that he went through several months of surgery and steroids to become Captain America

Also, at PureMitch's suggestion you moved the 'Ghosts' and 'Four Cubed' arcs of UFF before Ultimate Power b/c Sue mentions Fury to Reed in issue #47 (begining of the 'Ghosts' arc) and there is no convenient break until after 'Four Cubed' is finished. But after 'Ghosts' Sue breaks up with Reed, whereas in Ultimate Power #1 they aren't broken up (Reed: what's for breakfast? Sue: Me! [hugs him])

so either way you have a problem, but in my mind it's easier to reconcile Sue mentioning Fury than a dramatic swing in their relationship.

Your call, but i just thought i'd trhow that out there for you

Last edited:
just rereading Ultimate Origins, and looking at your timeline, and you have Steve Rogers becoming Captain America before Nick Fury was given the super soldier serum. UO # 1 says Nick was arrested in 1943 then some undisclosed time later was given the serum, and UO #1 says Steve was recruited in 1942 and then some undisclosed time later was given the serum, but it seems apparent that some amount of time has passed and that Nick Fury HAD to have happened first. (he was the "break through" when Steve Rogers breaks out of the restraints, the soldier say, "here we go again" and Dr Erskine dies after Steve becomes cap.

I'd say Steve gets recruited and prepped over the course of a year, meanwhile they are doing trials on black prisoners of war, it works on Fury, so they give the serum to Rogers. That also makes it fit with Cap's comment (i think in Ultimates) that he went through several months of surgery and steroids to become Captain America

Uh, but in the first volume of Ultimates, in the first issue, in literally the first few pages, doesn't it say that it takes place in 1942? So if Fury was given the serum first, then it couldn't have been in 1943.

EDIT: Never mind, the Ultimates issue I was talking about actually said that it was 1945. And DIrishB actually said that on the timeline.

Last edited:
oh, noobs!

welcome Darth-Assidious
UMTU #9 is not in canon! it was a nonsense issue that was never intended to fit in the timeline

DIrishB

You're right...the reason I'd placed it as such was because the ending of Ultimates 2--the flashback to 1942 with Steve and Gail is just before he undergoes the super-soldier program--and Ultimate Origins #1 with Fury being arrested with Wolverine and the other guy occurred in 1943. To reconcile that it can be assumed, as you said, there's at least several months or up to a year before he actually is turned into Cap with the Serum. I'll alter that.

Also, at PureMitch's suggestion you moved the 'Ghosts' and 'Four Cubed' arcs of UFF before Ultimate Power b/c Sue mentions Fury to Reed in issue #47 (begining of the 'Ghosts' arc) and there is no convenient break until after 'Four Cubed' is finished. But after 'Ghosts' Sue breaks up with Reed, whereas in Ultimate Power #1 they aren't broken up (Reed: what's for breakfast? Sue: Me! [hugs him])

so either way you have a problem, but in my mind it's easier to reconcile Sue mentioning Fury than a dramatic swing in their relationship.

Your call, but i just thought i'd trhow that out there for you

I just picked up the free March on Ultimatum handbook (written by Stuart Vandal, who posts here on the site as Stuart. It does quite a good job of summarizing pretty much everything in the Ultimate universe, touching on the small stuff, slightly more descriptive for the bigger events. But it places the arcs and events all in an apparent chronological order, so I'm going to compare it to the timeline and make adjustments if needed. I'll see how its related in that handbook.

Actually, I think it might work better to just place Ghosts, Four Cubed, AND Salem's Seven all before Ultimate Power, since Reed and Sue get back together at the end of Salem's Seven. I'll have to re-read that arc to make sure there isn't anything else in it which prevents it from occurring pre-Ultimate Power.

Last edited:
Updated for Ultimate Origins #5 and Squadron Supreme 2 #4. In terms of Ultimate Origins (now that its complete), some adjustments might be needed in relation to continuity of earlier material (early issues of Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, etc).

was the scene where Nick Fury and Dugan (how old is he?) storm Weapon X and kill every body supposed to be when Nick Fury freed Wolverine from Weapon X (as referred to in the "Return to Weapon X" arc of UXM, b/c it doesn't seem like it is...

maybe after they torch the experimental facility they open the military ops division, and that's where Wraith and Sabretooth come in.

Latest posts

Back