Ultimate Marvel Timeline / Chronology (v. 3.0)

This is another reason I don't use specific years. Basically, Peter is sort of immortal, forever 15. Bendis said early on in USM's run that he didn't want to age the character, as he thought the best Spidey stories from the 616 universe were the ones when Peter was still in high school. So, he basically said he was going to keep Peter in the 15/16 year old age range indefinitely, even though other titles acknowledge the passage of time (Ultimates and UXM for instance), Peter doesn't seem to age. And according to the Hobgoblin arc, only 9 months passed between issue 1 and 72...and according to the most recent issue of USM, its only been a couple months since the Superstars arc (which occurs immediately before USM), so all in all it appears less than a year has passed in USM, still to this point. And since its never mentioned Peter being on summer vacation, etc, its safe to assume that.

The only problem arises when specific amounts of time pass in other titles (like the year between Ultimates 1 and 2), but events which are mentioned or happen in one which are then mentioned or occur in USM itself creates continuity issues (since as stated, a year hasn't passed yet for Peter).

Kinda makes me wonder if they'll ever reboot the series again and try to make it more realistic. I think The Punisher: Frank Castle doesn't use a floating timeline, they actually age Frank Castle in real time.

Its not a reboot. As a reboot ignores everything you ahve done and starts from scratch its more of new status quo.

This is another reason I don't use specific years. Basically, Peter is sort of immortal, forever 15. Bendis said early on in USM's run that he didn't want to age the character, as he thought the best Spidey stories from the 616 universe were the ones when Peter was still in high school. So, he basically said he was going to keep Peter in the 15/16 year old age range indefinitely, even though other titles acknowledge the passage of time (Ultimates and UXM for instance), Peter doesn't seem to age. And according to the Hobgoblin arc, only 9 months passed between issue 1 and 72...and according to the most recent issue of USM, its only been a couple months since the Superstars arc (which occurs immediately before USM), so all in all it appears less than a year has passed in USM, still to this point. And since its never mentioned Peter being on summer vacation, etc, its safe to assume that.

The only problem arises when specific amounts of time pass in other titles (like the year between Ultimates 1 and 2), but events which are mentioned or happen in one which are then mentioned or occur in USM itself creates continuity issues (since as stated, a year hasn't passed yet for Peter).

That's because Ultimate Queens actually exists within a time nexus. Peter Parker isn't the only one who hasn't aged, no one else in Queens has either. It has been September 2000 in Queens for AT LEAST five years now. If they ever get to October, then WHO KNOWS where the rest of the Ultimate U might be. It might be 100 years in the future, or even 8 years in the past. This explains the video that Peter watched of his parents having a picnic when he was a kid. His parents had died outside of Queens when he was a baby, but in Queens, they were still alive, until they died in a Venom-related plane crash. Not only that, but while that picnic took place in probably the mid 90s by Queens reckoning, it was actually 25 years in the future for the rest of the Ultimate Universe. Hence the discussion of Reed Richards who was older then than he is now.

Peter, along with anyone who lives in Queens could stay the age they are forever if they would just stay in Queens. Aunt May is only as old as she is b/c she commutes into the city for work every day.

The first arc of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man will deal with this time nexus issue. Ultimate Comics Spider-Man will make a deal with a new villain Ultimate Comics Kang to reconcile the time lines. But doing so will turn back the clock to a time when Gwen was Carnage and MJ was a red sasquwatch and Nick Fury was white. What decision will he make? find out soon in Ultimate Comics Spider-Man: One Less Day.

Its not a reboot. As a reboot ignores everything you ahve done and starts from scratch its more of new status quo.

Considering the drastic changes both within the books (the characters and stories changing) and with the books themselves (hell, even the imprint name has changed from "Ultimate" to the somewhat redundant "Ultimate Comics), as well as the approach for the Ultimate universe's number of titles (reducing it from 3/4 ongoing and occasional mini-series to one ongoing--or two if you count the UC Avengers book).

Anyway, considering those changes and approaches, using "reboot" seems to work for me. Of course, that might be more wishful thinking in expecting the quality of the stories to improve. :roll:

captaincanuck65 said:
That's because Ultimate Queens actually exists within a time nexus. Peter Parker isn't the only one who hasn't aged, no one else in Queens has either. It has been September 2000 in Queens for AT LEAST five years now. If they ever get to October, then WHO KNOWS where the rest of the Ultimate U might be. It might be 100 years in the future, or even 8 years in the past. This explains the video that Peter watched of his parents having a picnic when he was a kid. His parents had died outside of Queens when he was a baby, but in Queens, they were still alive, until they died in a Venom-related plane crash. Not only that, but while that picnic took place in probably the mid 90s by Queens reckoning, it was actually 25 years in the future for the rest of the Ultimate Universe. Hence the discussion of Reed Richards who was older then than he is now.

Peter, along with anyone who lives in Queens could stay the age they are forever if they would just stay in Queens. Aunt May is only as old as she is b/c she commutes into the city for work every day.

The first arc of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man will deal with this time nexus issue. Ultimate Comics Spider-Man will make a deal with a new villain Ultimate Comics Kang to reconcile the time lines. But doing so will turn back the clock to a time when Gwen was Carnage and MJ was a red sasquwatch and Nick Fury was white. What decision will he make? find out soon in Ultimate Comics Spider-Man: One Less Day.

...wow.

I like it, but I'm sticking with the "Ben punched a dinosaur explanation"....its easier.

How'd you come up with that? Has that been mentioned before? Like I said, I haven't read all of the issues of any of the Ultimate series', I'm only able to read what they've digitized on Marvel Digital Comics

How'd you come up with that? Has that been mentioned before? Like I said, I haven't read all of the issues of any of the Ultimate series', I'm only able to read what they've digitized on Marvel Digital Comics

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
ahhahahaha...haha...ha....whew...*whipes tear from eye*

that just made my whole day:D

I was about to disagree with your placement of the flashback based on the fact that MJ doesn't become a reporter for the school newscast until issue #108, but upon rereading the issue, she clearly says the interview is for a school assignment and not for the news team.

Out of curiosity, are you basing your placement of it on similarities between UMTU #4-5 and this flashback?

There really weren't very many other clues besides that Peter and MJ were dating.

I was about to disagree with your placement of the flashback based on the fact that MJ doesn't become a reporter for the school newscast until issue #108, but upon rereading the issue, she clearly says the interview is for a school assignment and not for the news team.

Out of curiosity, are you basing your placement of it on similarities between UMTU #4-5 and this flashback?

There really weren't very many other clues besides that Peter and MJ were dating.

Yes, I mainly placed it based on the events of UMTU #4-5--which directly led to the events of this issue--I didn't place it immediately after because I figured it would take Hydra a few days or weeks to put together a plan to infiltrate Stark Industries. Also, there was no mention of the Ultimates or Tony's involvement with them, so I'm assuming it occurs before the formation of the Ultimates team.

So, taking place after UMTU #4-5, and before Ultimates #1 doesn't leave too big a window. I also placed it as such because it helps fill in the big 3 month time gap between USM #13 and #14.

So, things should be a lot easier for you with the upcoming upheaval in the UU.

Yes, and I look forward to it.

I know the Ultimate verse has downright sucked the past few years, but I'm hoping this shedding of unneccessary and lackluster titles (UXM, UFF, and the extraneous Ultimate minis) will result in a turn-around. Millar coming back to the Ultimates and Ellis writing...well...anything Ultimate is just good news. I'm not jazzed about USM, but overall, I'm glad Ultimatum happened if for nothing else than the end result.

The end result being, of course, the timeline will be easier to manage. ;)

Arent they going to focus on continuity abit more, thats what i heard. It might become easier for you. Who knows?

Latest posts

Back