Ultimate Namor idea

ourchair

My friend and I just came up with a treatment for what Ultimate Namor could be like in his debut on the pages of Ultimate Fantastic Four. Here goes:

The government investigates a boat that has stopped in the middle of the Indian Ocean close to Thailand (where the big Southeast Asian Tsunami happened late last year). They find it full of dead members of the coastal guard who have apparently drowned alive, and there's only one survivor: a dark man with Asian features with slightly elfin ears and an ability to breathe underwater.

General Thunderbolt Ross, learning of this discovery, uses his back channel connections to have this "submarine man" brought into the custody of the Baxter Building research group, as a marvel of science that begs to be explored.

Sue Storm is tasked to assess the mysterious submarine man's physiology and discovers that he has an unusual physiology that makes his underwater breathing possible, such as Kevin Costner like gills on the side of his ears ("He's like the guy from Waterworld," Reed remarks.) The man calls himself "Namor" and he intuitively trusts Sue, disclosing his incredulous Atlantean warrior origins.

Sue is initially put off by his "imperious" attitude, but is drawn to Namor: His far out tales of an undersea kingdom and his battle stories make him quite the charmer, and his manly demeanor and sex appeal makes him nothing the kind of platonic peer she has in Reed.

In a bit of overshare, Sue accidentally discloses to her brother Johnny that Namor has a piece "the size of a Canadian mackarel". ("What does that make Reed, a can of anchovies?", Johnny retorts.) But Johnny finds the short-tempered submarine man's brusque nature and regal attitude irritating and the two come to blows. Johnny confidently flames on, but is quickly put out by a sudden blast of water from the Baxter plumbing and Namor knocks him out.

Much of the inspiration for Namor comes from Yul Brynner's character in The King and I. Namor/Brynner are rude and brusque men with regal bearing who find white women strangely attracted to them in spite of their callous ways. We still haven't figured out the rest of the plot, but this proves that my friend and I are complete dorky losers.

So what do you think?

Last edited:
Its a really well thought out, very interesting plan. I like it. Its a really good take on Namor and a nice way to Ultimize the character. My only concern is Atlantis then and why Sue would BELIEVE him, gills or no gills.

Caduceus said:
Its a really well thought out, very interesting plan. I like it. Its a really good take on Namor and a nice way to Ultimize the character. My only concern is Atlantis then and why Sue would BELIEVE him, gills or no gills.
Thanks. More details when I work them out.

I like to think that if Mark Millar wrote this treatment, he'd totally play up the King and I connection in interviews, if only because it'd be so characteristically inane of him.

I don't know if you guys remember but in the first vol. of FF the maulman ( ? Donno how to spell it :( ) told FF about Alantis being underground ! That is awesome. What about him being some kind of Underground, tech freak ? Who knows ?

SeAcoW said:
I don't know if you guys remember but in the first vol. of FF the maulman ( ? Donno how to spell it :( ) told FF about Alantis being underground ! That is awesome. What about him being some kind of Underground, tech freak ? Who knows ?

Mole-man. I remember that but I can't recall if it was Atlantis or just an "advanced culture". (I haven't got my issues with me). It it is Atlantis, I wonder where its going because Millar just recently said something about the "Undersea pyramids of Atlantis". Maybe the water dried up in most places. If it wasn't Atlantis, that civilization could have a connection to the crossover arc or even the WW2 arc.

Perhaps those undersea pyramids really are Atlantis and long-term global warming has dried it up, leaving all of its inhabitants dead like fish out of the bowl. In which case, Namor's survival could be explained as him being a "homo superior" of Atlantis. He's an Atlantean who can breathe air.

Well, you're idea is brilliant... Your friend and you seemed to take your time and really digest each of the characters into the story. I'd like to see where you're going with the whole romance theme (Maybe Namor would like to take Sue back to Atlantis with him?) and I'd love to see why exactly all of those people were killed on the boat and what Namor was doing on that boat.

Goodwill said:
Your friend and you seemed to take your time and really digest each of the characters into the story.

Allow me to introduce myself -- i'm the 'friend' whom ourchair mentioned. He can vouch for me, I'm sure.

Thanx so much for all the encouraging replies!

Goodwill said:
I'd love to see why exactly all of those people were killed on the boat and what Namor was doing on that boat.

Here's one possibility: Basically, at the start of the arc, a coast guard vessel (perhaps on the lookout for sea-faring smugglers) discovers the semi-conscious body of an unidentified man floating off the coast of Thailand. They bring the mysterious stranger on board. When they attempt to revive him, his (mutant?) ability to control water automatically kicks in, self-defensively, redirecting all the water in the crew members' bodies into their brain, in an elaborate X-Files-y sequence.

Authorities learn about this 'scientific marvel', and eventually, Gen. Thunderbolt Ross decides to claim this 'Submarine Man' as a pet project. Cue mayhem described above.

compound said:
Allow me to introduce myself -- i'm the 'friend' whom ourchair mentioned. He can vouch for me, I'm sure.
I vouch.

Here's one possibility: Basically, at the start of the arc, a coast guard vessel (perhaps on the lookout for sea-faring smugglers) discovers the semi-conscious body of an unidentified man floating off the coast of Thailand. They bring the mysterious stranger on board. When they attempt to revive him, his (mutant?) ability to control water automatically kicks in, self-defensively, redirecting all the water in the crew members' bodies into their brain, in an elaborate X-Files-y sequence.

Authorities learn about this 'scientific marvel', and eventually, Gen. Thunderbolt Ross decides to claim this 'Submarine Man' as a pet project. Cue mayhem described above.
I actually opted not to mention that possibility (as much as i like it) because I couldn't decide how exactly we would make Namor's ability to murder immediately apparent before the big villain climax showdown hoo-ha and if so, how early we would show it.

Which is pretty much why I wrote in the Johnny Storm scene so that the characters would know he's capable of something but can't pinpoint it until Sue and Reed complete their analysis of Namor's biology.

SeAcoW said:
Btw. i think the idea is freakin' brilliant. Send it to Mark! :wink:
Hah. I'd rather not, in the vain (and arrogant) hope that he'll somehow write those elements into his story without knowing that we've posted this.

I don't mean to be a pretentious braggart, but these ideas were created with a genius like compound, who managed to predict Ultimate Mojo as entertainment talent agent/director of a reality show months before he made his debut. :p

Are you sure you're not Millar in disguise? ;)

I must admit, you've got great ideas and I think that, if the reason the vessel's inhabitants were killed was revealed after the relationship with Sue sprouted, I think you'd have a more dramatic ending to the arc, in terms of Johny and Reed's emotions. I don't know, I'm just throwing in my two bits.

Goodwill said:
Are you sure you're not Millar in disguise? ;)

I must admit, you've got great ideas and I think that, if the reason the vessel's inhabitants were killed was revealed after the relationship with Sue sprouted, I think you'd have a more dramatic ending to the arc, in terms of Johny and Reed's emotions. I don't know, I'm just throwing in my two bits.
No, compound is my Millar and I'm his Bendis because I'm a fast talking rambling smart-aleck. But I have better spelling and punctuation than the real Bendis.

As for the whole structure, yeah, I think I'd rather leave the opening X-Files-ish scene slightly ambiguous if not remove it altogether since those gill-ears of Namor's are reason enough for Baxter to research him.

I'm guessing you're right, however, they'd want to see what he was made of regardless...

(Hey, did you get my PM?)

Sounds good to me.

Do you think that Millar's idea for the character will follow the initial plan for the movie? The underwater version of Star Wars? While I hope this isn't true, I'd kind of like to see the whole Terminator thing play out... It's almost glaring FF vs. Namor!

Goodwill said:
Sounds good to me.

Do you think that Millar's idea for the character will follow the initial plan for the movie? The underwater version of Star Wars? While I hope this isn't true, I'd kind of like to see the whole Terminator thing play out... It's almost glaring FF vs. Namor!

Off topic, Goody...let's try and avoid mixing in movie talk in this thread.

Do you think Namor could be from the N-Zone? Leaving that dying dimension for the waterways of earth?

Latest posts

Back