Ultimate Power: Nice little crossover or Biggest mistake ever?

Ultimate Power: Nice little crossover or Biggest mistake ever?

• Total voters
Is it me, or with all the big storylines & crossovers---doesn't this feel like 1992 ALL OVER AGAIN?????

What's next?
Triple gatefold, foil emobssed, holographic, glow in the dark covers?
Trading Cards in each comic?
Rob Leifeld doing comics work on a steady basis again?

Last edited:
McEvil said:
Is it me, or with all the big storylines & crossovers---doesn't this feel like 1992 ALL OVER AGAIN?????

What's next?
Triple gatefold, foil emobssed, holographic, glow in the dark covers?
Trading Cards in each comic?
Rob Leifeld doing comics work on a steady basis again?

:(

They've already revived variant covers - "enhanced" :sick: covers can't be that far off.

Actually there was a foil variant for Ultimate Iron Man #1. Ugh.

Wasn't there a book last year that had cards in each copy?

And Liefield already has a few projects coming up.

I'm depressed.

Re: Ultimate Power. Nice little crossover or Biggest mistake ever.

Nurhachi said:
If you actually read it, im sure you'll be all for the crossover. Supreme Power is Ultimate Squadron Supreme. All they doing now is making it official
I think Supreme Power is great, but I agree with iceman here,
iceman said:
Squadron Surpeme works so absurdly well as its own Universe, there is no need to be like "who would win in a fight, Hyperion or Ultimate Hulk." Cause you fuggin' know its gonna happen. And that's bad.
I think they both work well as seperate universes (that haven't crossed over). I just don't really see the point to throwing them together other than that the Squadron Supreme met the Avengers.

crossovers with the UU will just taint its integrity, probably mess up continuity, even more that is. squadron supreme is off to a good start, this seems to big and unwieldy somehow. like a marketing stunt

DIrishB said:
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with that mini either.

Ehhh...I only thought it was ok. Just didn't do it for me I guess.

I loved both Supreme Power and Nighthawk. Hyperion was rather bland, except for the big reveals near the end. Those revelations blew me away.

And I'm a strong supporter of this crossover. I just hope they don't let me down.

Rorschach said:
crossovers with the UU will just taint its integrity, probably mess up continuity, even more that is. squadron supreme is off to a good start, this seems to big and unwieldy somehow. like a marketing stunt
How will it taint its integrity?

Also, I don't see anyway how it would mess up continuity.

I have read Supreme Power, but with the exception of the Nighthawk mini - it's been pretty mediocre lately. Squadron Supreme #1, instead of being something really exciting, actually felt like a epilogue of the old title, or a prologue to this one. It was most certainly not #1. I just am waiting to read something good by JMS of late, and he's disappointing me. I dropped his Fantastic Four run 3 or 4 issues into it, it was so dull. That said, I'm getting the complete scripts to Babylon 5 and each volume is filled with commentary from him that is not only interesting, but quite witty, and highly enjoyable. I really want to like him - but considering this is JMS, plus Loeb AND Bendis - well, it might just kill me.

McEvil said:

I've been saying this for ages. It's really ****ing tragic. Just three years ago, it seemed creativity was up. Now, it seems unbelievably down. And it's not like DC is any better. People can say Marvel's been ripping DC off lately, but it doesn't make DC good. DC at the moment seems to be better than Marvel, editorially, but that doesn't mean it's not ****. (I'm talking about the main superhero universes and core titles, not Vertigo, Wildstorm, or even 'off-the-radar' stuff - just the big hypey core titles.)

Rorschach said:

Absolutely agree with you. Welcome, Rorschach!

"Huge mistake".

The UU needs some inventive, original stories, not ****ty crossovers.

Bass said:
I've been saying this for ages. It's really ****ing tragic. Just three years ago, it seemed creativity was up. Now, it seems unbelievably down. And it's not like DC is any better. People can say Marvel's been ripping DC off lately, but it doesn't make DC good. DC at the moment seems to be better than Marvel, editorially, but that doesn't mean it's not ****. (I'm talking about the main superhero universes and core titles, not Vertigo, Wildstorm, or even 'off-the-radar' stuff - just the big hypey core titles.)

I think you are wrong but this isnt the place to discuss it.

Fair enough.

To be honest - the idea of Ultimate Power is fine. I just think it's not going to be any good because comics written by committee are generally poor at best, and this is a trio involving two of the most overrated comics writers in the industry at the moment.

Bass said:
Fair enough.

To be honest - the idea of Ultimate Power is fine. I just think it's not going to be any good because comics written by committee are generally poor at best, and this is a trio involving two of the most overrated comics writers in the industry at the moment.

That's what I thought the question was.

The idea is fine. But I won't judged until I've read it myself.

Bendis can be a good writer. I enjoy most of his work. Powers sucked bad. Ultimate Spider-Man is a fun comic. New Avengers have been up and down. House Of M I enjoyed. Daredevil is like one of the greatest things ever.

Loeb. His Hush story had some cool moments but that was it. Dark Victory wasn't that great. His Superman/Batman as been off and on.

JMS. I have only seen a couple of his ASM issues. Which I have enjoyed. That would be Sins Past and New Avengers. What I read of the Other sucked.

once there are big crossover like this established where does it end? i like the UU being contained within its own continuity ( and it has problems with that, nevermind trying to mix it with others) Marvel Zombies was fine, no connection with 616 or the supreme universe, still within the UU. I got into Ultimate titles because they were self contained, a new start for some great characters (mostly). a 616 crossover could come after,and then some sort of, i dont know... crisis or something, on a large number, perhaps even infinite number of alternate earths will end up being needed to fix it once they start toying with crossovers too much.

Last edited:
Rorschach said:
once there are big crossover like this established where does it end? i like the UU being contained within its own continuity ( and it has problems with that, nevermind trying to mix it with others) Marvel Zombies was fine, no connection with 616 or the supreme universe, still within the UU. I got into Ultimate titles because they were self contained, a new start for some great characters (mostly). a 616 crossover could come after,and then some sort of, i dont know... crisis or something, on a large number, perhaps even infinite number of alternate earths will end up being needed to fix it once they start toying with crossovers too much.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree 100% with you. I loathe the possibility that the UU will crossover with 616. Or even Exiles.

However.

I feel the Supreme Power universe, if anything, is perfect for a crossover with the UU. A few of us have said this multiple times: Supreme Power basically is Ultimate Squadron Supreme. This just makes it official.

I will burn my Ultimate comics, though, if they ever, EVER crossover with 616 or some universe connected to 616. Right now, the UU has it's own multiverse, which just happens to include Zombies and now, Supreme Power. I find nothing wrong with that.

Bass said:
You're like, the only person to think that.

I didn't like it either.

In fact, I sold my issues to TGO and he was mad at me because he hated it. :D

Latest posts

Back