Ultimate Power: Nice little crossover or Biggest mistake ever?

Ultimate Power: Nice little crossover or Biggest mistake ever?

• Total voters
E said:
That was my attitude at first as well but then I thought, "why not?" If a reason is needed to do something, why do anything? What justification is there for any given story?

Why not? For one, there's an integrity in the Supreme Power universe that will be lost if you cross the universes over. After a crossover, you can't go back to the way things were. You lose out on most of the themes that made the series interesting in the first place.

The same thing happens to the Ultimate Universe. The UU is supposed to be kept to the basics, to bring back the fun and ideas that made the early Marvel comics so good and revamp them for the modern day. When you mix in the themes of a whole new universe, you're polluting the pool.

Why not? Because, while, it may make a new and interesting story, it's a betrayal of the older intents.

Edit: As for justification, I feel like every good story is justified. Every good story has a purpose. When you look at a potential crossover, you have to ask yourself "Does this crossover help the themes of a particular line in a way that can't be done without the crossover?" In this situation, I don't see it.

Last edited:
Zombipanda said:
Edit: As for justification, I feel like every good story is justified. Every good story has a purpose. When you look at a potential crossover, you have to ask yourself "Does this crossover help the themes of a particular line in a way that can't be done without the crossover?" In this situation, I don't see it.

I totally agree. And that's why I don't understand how you can make that call without having read it.

E said:
I totally agree. And that's why I don't understand how you can make that call without having read it.

Because the idea itself runs contrary to the concepts of the lines. No matter how well it's done, the introduction of a new universe of heroes, it seems to me, intrinsically ruins the hard-line real world nature of Supreme Power. Introducing a new universe goes against the central premise of the Ultimate Universe, which is to stay true to the original themes of the core lines.

It may be a damn fine read, but I don't think there's a feasible way these new elements can be introduced and still maintain the core concepts of the UU and the Supremaverse.

The Supremaverse and the Ultimate Universe have both encountered parallel universes.

Ultimate U. in Ultimate Fantastic Four

Supremaverse in Supreme Power: Hyperion.

I don't think either world has been compromised... And it would seem that this has gone unnoticed to you...

The truth is that if Alan Moore came in here in the 80s to explain how he was going to take the Charlton Comics characters and put them in a real world setting... We would have said, "hell no! That goes against everything those characters are about!"

Ever think that that might be the point? That by contrasting the two worlds they might be able to come up with a overarching message?

And if so, shouldnt we give them a chance first?

Well the Ultimate Universe had to Ultimize the Supremeverse at some point. By doing this they're just using a Supremeverse that is already Ultimized. If Supreme Power had an "Ultimate" title in front of it from the very beginning, no one would have a problem with it.

Nurhachi said:
Well the Ultimate Universe had to Ultimize the Supremeverse at some point. By doing this they're just using a Supremeverse that is already Ultimized. If Supreme Power had an "Ultimate" title in front of it from the very beginning, no one would have a problem with it.

I'm wondering if that might happen after this is over.

Dr.Strangefate said:
The Supremaverse and the Ultimate Universe have both encountered parallel universes.

Ultimate U. in Ultimate Fantastic Four

Supremaverse in Supreme Power: Hyperion.

I don't think either world has been compromised... And it would seem that this has gone unnoticed to you...

The truth is that if Alan Moore came in here in the 80s to explain how he was going to take the Charlton Comics characters and put them in a real world setting... We would have said, "hell no! That goes against everything those characters are about!"

Ever think that that might be the point? That by contrasting the two worlds they might be able to come up with a overarching message?

And if so, shouldnt we give them a chance first?

There's a difference.

If you're talking about the "alternate universe" in Supreme Power: Hyperion, then that's a mistake. It's revealed in the mini-series that they don't visit a different dimension at all. They just travel into the near future of their own dimension.

In regards to the alternate dimensions in UFF (N-Zone and Zombieverse), of course the Fantastic Four's crossed over into other dimensions! They're the Fantastic Four. They're cosmic adventurers. That's what they do. But there's two key differences between the dimension-hopping of the FF and the cross-over of Ultimate Power. For one, the N-Zone and Zombieverse are dimensions created for the whole purpose of serving a FF plot. They were created and specially tailored to fit the purpose of the plot. (and before we start arguing about Marvel Zombies standing on it's own, let's point out that in operating as a miniseries, it doesn't sacrifice any inherent integrity of the zombieverse) The Fantastic Four sees these as different universes, but externally, we can recognize that they were created as a part of the UFF continuity. Second, while dimension hopping is part and parcel to the UFF, I don't think it fits particularly well with the other lines.

I don't buy the Watchmen analogy either. Moore didn't take a comic line that was currently in operation and make major and sweeping changes to it. For one, those characters hadn't been in use for years. For another, the Watchmen universe is distinctly different from the Charlton Universe. He took characters that were familiar, but the universe he created was essentially a reboot. The characters were out of use, had no lines dedicated to them, and were encapsulated in an era decades gone. This change, though, is going to have a lasting effect on two currently living comic lines. That's what I'm worried about.

And either way, I'm going to give the series a chance. I'm just giving the reason as to why I'm skeptical.

Nunachi - uumm... sort of... My feeling on the matter is, the Ultimate Universe intends to bring things back to the basics. If we Ultimize every aspect of the 616 universe, then all we're left with is a copy of 616. I don't think Squadron Supreme would ever get Ultimized, at least not to the scope of Supreme Power.

Either way, I consider Supreme Power to be less about Marvel Ultimizing Squadron Supreme (which was originally supposed to be their version of DC heroes), and more about Ultimizing the DC Universe without getting sued. I don't like DC/Marvel crossovers, so I sure as hell won't like Ultimate DC/Ultimate Marvel crossovers.

You can crossover the Transformers Universe with the James Joyce Universe. It might turn out totally badass. Leopold Bloom may learn a valuable lesson about the evil capable in the heart of Deceptacons, and the Autobots may learn a valuable lesson how the epic nature of heroism can be exemplified in trivial deeds. It may be an awesome miniseries. But that doesn't mean it won't hurt the two universes.

I just don't think it's necessary. Right now I feel like the two universes are kept to their relatively archetypal ideas, and they're doing well with them. I'll give the series a chance, but I can't see it turning out great.

And Transformers in the James Joyce universe would rock.

Doot.

There is a way to intermingle continuity and keep the characters' integrity. Ever read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Ice- Now we're splitting hairs. I'm aware the Negative Zone existed before the Ultimate Universe came around, but the Ultimate N-Zone was tailored specifically to UFF.

Strangefate- Yeah. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is unbelievably righteous. But the fact remains that it's only reflective one way. There aren't still serials about Allan Quartermain and if there were, they wouldn't necessarily take the adventures of the League as part of continuity. You get me wrong. I don't have a problem with the idea of the two lines crossing over. The mini itself has great potential to be excellent. My problem is that I don't think I'll like the aftermath for the two universes.

Dr.Strangefate said:
And Transformers in the James Joyce universe would rock.

Doot.

There is a way to intermingle continuity and keep the characters' integrity. Ever read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Yeah, but Allan Quatermain didn't come from another universe to join the League in it's second book. That's basically what this crossover is.

ProjectX2 said:
Yeah, but Allan Quatermain didn't come from another universe to join the League in it's second book. That's basically what this crossover is.

You're better at talking with computer keys than me. Bravo.

Dr.Strangefate;192306 The Supremaverse and the Ultimate Universe have both encountered parallel universes. Supremaverse in Supreme Power: Hyperion. said:
was in the futrue

I am a fan of the supremeverse, could be better. Hyperion Vs Nighthawk has good art and the story seems good

Last edited:
Maybe someone's already brought this up. Maybe not. I'm not really interested in reading 9 pages of you guys arguing over the continuity of a comic that I don't even read (that comic being Supreme whatever). But you're all missing the most important part of the series.

It has a flash of shadowcat's panites.

:D

Well, I thibnk that it is a good idea, but nothing much has really happened yet. I think it is starting to get interesting now though.

Latest posts

Back