Ultimate Power: Nice little crossover or Biggest mistake ever?

Ultimate Power: Nice little crossover or Biggest mistake ever?

• Total voters
I dropped Squadron Supreme. It's dull, now.

ProjectX2 said:
I dropped Squadron Supreme. It's dull, now.

I'm giving it one more issue, then I'm done with it. It's boring.

It's been like, what? 30 issues? And nothing's really happening. Their first "team mission" is fighting a tribal dictator.

When did "realistic" mean "trivial"?

Bass said:
I'm giving it one more issue, then I'm done with it. It's boring.

It's been like, what? 30 issues? And nothing's really happening. Their first "team mission" is fighting a tribal dictator.

When did "realistic" mean "trivial"?

How is it different from Ultimates Vol. 1?

It's in how it's told.

Compare the Redstone arc to the first 6 issues of Ultimates. Redstone is told like a mass murderer who kills a few people. It's worrying, it's genuinely exciting, but it all takes place in a very small area.

The Hulk fight takes place across the entire of Manhattan, which is ruins. It's more like they're fighting Godzilla. And the entire future of the team rests on them defeating this guy and making sure no one knows he's one of them.

Redstone felt like an alleyway tumble, as terrifying as it was, while the Hulk felt like an out-of-control nuclear bomb.

Redstone, feels somewhat trivial.

The next step, is the bomb they drop to kill Hyperion, which doesn't seem to have been really that important. Just shrugged off.

I dunno.

The whole thing... it just feels like JMS is trying too hard to say "big things will happen" and yet all we see is things that happen in the crack of the collective consciousness, far in the background of the public domain.

While I can understand that at first, JMS wants to start there, it just has been dwelling there far too long for my tastes.

After the tease of the megadeaths Hyperion is capable of, the nuclear bomb, and the alternate universe... it would be nice to see such global and supreme power exerted in the comic.

Everything in just seems so trivial. He's constantly juxtaposing Hyperion's obvious power with these small tasks he has to do.

While I understand that's a nice contradiction to emphasise just how powerful Hyperion is... it's just become samey. The Voice just feels like Redstone again. The whole story is starting to feel somewhat trivial.

After much debate and deliberation, I feel I am ready to cast my judgment.

I voted for "Good, interesting idea."

Because, well, it is. Unfortunately part of what makes it interesting is the question of whether or not it will be done well.

I personally don't think it will be done well. Good idea, poor execution - that kind of thing. But the idea is interesting enough to give it a try, even though we only have the most basic idea what it's about.

You're just being a crazy about a series we don't even have previews for yet.

When this actually happens there should be a new poll... because honestly this could very easily suck, and very easily be awesome. I am hoping for the latter, because I dont like ****ty stories.

I think its all just that simple.

Didn't they already try to bring Nighthawk into the Ultimate Universe withUltimate Adventures? Hawk-Owl... Nighthawk...

1.jpg
nighthawk.jpg

Anybody who thinks this is a good idea, read Ultimate Adventures. I know this is a different creative team, but my point stands. Keep them speperated. I was mad when Ultimate Fantastic Four crossed-over into 616. Granted that was an ok story line, but it could have been told the EXACT same way without the crossingover BS.

wildmaiden said:
Didn't they already try to bring Nighthawk into the Ultimate Universe withUltimate Adventures? Hawk-Owl... Nighthawk...

1.jpg
nighthawk.jpg

Anybody who thinks this is a good idea, read Ultimate Adventures. I know this is a different creative team, but my point stands. Keep them speperated. I was mad when Ultimate Fantastic Four crossed-over into 616. Granted that was an ok story line, but it could have been told the EXACT same way without the crossingover BS.

First, welcome.

Ultimate Adventures was good, in my opinion. Very good. As for them being the same, I'm not sure what you mean. Hawk-Owl is meant as a parody of Batman while Nighthawk is a much darker version of Batman, other than that the similarities end. There is an Ultimate Nighthawk in the Defenders, however. He was also a joke.

And the UFF never crossed over with 616. They crossed over with the Zombie Universe, which isn't 616. It just looked like 616. . .with zombies.

Last edited:
My post was also, for the most part, a joke. Obviously Nighthawk and Hawk-Owl aren't even close to being on the same page, however to do look an awful lot a like and are both, more or less, blatent Batman ripoffs. Although I must disagree and say that Ultimate Adventures was awful.

Personally, I think this crossover will be fun to read. Generally I do not like Crossovers, I don't understand what the point is really. It's one thing to have Spiderman show up in an Xmen book, it's another to take 2 completley different universes and, for no real reason, bring them together (why couldn't there just be an Ultimate Squadron, you know? Does it have to be a crossover to tell the same story?) Nevertheless this should be fun to read.

As people have said before, Supreme Power pretty much is Ultimate Squadron Supreme, so it's not THAT big if a change. And JMS is cool too.

wildmaiden said:

:D Welcome.

Dr.Strangefate said:
You're just being a crazy about a series we don't even have previews for yet.

When this actually happens there should be a new poll... because honestly this could very easily suck, and very easily be awesome. I am hoping for the latter, because I dont like ****ty stories.

I think its all just that simple.

Easy Doc.

There will be a poll when all is said and done. Not because you said so but because that's the plan man.

Still this is unneeded and there are better stories they should be working on.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Easy Doc.

There will be a poll when all is said and done. Not because you said so but because that's the plan man.

Still this is unneeded and there are better stories they should be working on.

Yeah...stories like Ultimate Daredevil Kicks The Ultimate Universe's Collective ***' In Turn by Quentin Tarantino and Brian Michael Bendis. Guest starring Elektra...naturally.

Last edited:
I voted no. I mean, I guess the series could be done right, but my question is, why do it?

I love Supreme Power even more than I dig the Ultimate Universe, but they aren't exactly the peanut butter and chocolate of the comic book world. To me, Supreme Power always seemed like Marvel ultimizing the DC Universe. What makes Supreme Power so interesting is it takes archetypes from the DC Universe, throws them in the 21st Century and then says "What if the real world gave birth to the heroes that make up the DCU?" It works because it's simple and it's grounded in the real world. Sure, you can take these characters and cross them into the Ultimate Universe, and it can even be done well, but then the Supremeverse is no longer the Supremeverse anymore. The realism in it is gone. And even if the status quo returns to normal afterwards, there's no going back and changing it back to the hard reality of the old universe.

And as for the Ultimate Universe, does that really need a massive cross-over? I understand that the Ultimates and Supreme Power share themes. Yeah, it could be interesting to see what Hyperion and Ultimate Cap have to think of each other. But the Ultimate Universe is about recreating what made Marvel special in the first place. Pure Marvel. Inject Supreme Power into it and what you have is basically an Ultimate DC/Ultimate Marvel crossover.

There's enough interesting material in both universes to fuel the lines for the foreseeable future. They just need to keep mining that.

Bleh. Bleh I say.

Last edited:
Zombipanda said:
I voted no. I mean, I guess the series could be done right, but my question is, why do it?

That was my attitude at first as well but then I thought, "why not?" If a reason is needed to do something, why do anything? What justification is there for any given story?

Latest posts

Back