Ultimate Revamps: Which Ones Worked and Which Ones Didn't

Hey, he is too weak, I mean, if he was walking the streets, I wouldn't care. I mean, I have no muscle really, just a little, and I could beat him.
And when you woke up from your daydream, you'd realize he just hit you with his weapon all the way across the street and into a garbage dump. :wink:

Ultimate Shocker is the best idea that Bendis has ever come up with on USM. Period.

For a bad one, how about Arcade? Okay, creating the first ever first-person shooter and having it be called Murder World is cool. But being a muscular wannabe badass hunter that hates muties because of the cliché "muties r bad" attitude we've seen so many times before? Um, no thanks. I would rather him to something along the lines of a nerdy, withdrawn genius that slices mutants up and hides the limbs all throughout his home.

He has electric vibrators attached to his hands, and for some reason in the 616 comics that's equated to shooting lightning bolts.

He doesn't make sense, and Electro is a better character.

But being a muscular wannabe badass hunter that hates muties because of the cliché "muties r bad" attitude we've seen so many times before?

wrong. he hates mutants because his sister was killed during magneto's destruction of the bridge in Ultimate War. I liked that ultimization though, I think he has way more depth than his 616 counterpart.

He has electric vibrators attached to his hands, and for some reason in the 616 comics that's equated to shooting lightning bolts.

He doesn't make sense, and Electro is a better character.

He doesn't shoot lighting bolts, he never has. "His suit's vibro-shock units trigger a pump-action compressed air mechanism that releases a series of rapid-succession, high-pressure air blasts through his gauntlets". It may look like lighting because the artists draw it, but its not. So your complaint has no merit.

Ultimate Shocker is the best idea that Bendis has ever come up with on USM. Period.

I think that depends on whether you like 616 Shocker or not. If you don't like 616 Shocker then its okay to make him a joke, if you like 616 Shocker you will not approve of the way Ultimate Shcoker is handled.

To be fair, 616 Shocker has certain kind of appeal that not everyone will agree with. He is a very simple villain, which is different from all the villains with a ton of emotional baggage or a twisted psychoses. Shocker seems to like being a criminal and isn't a blood thristy maniac who goes around killing people for kicks. That kind of gives him an air of professionalism and makes he seem honourable then other super criminals.

He makes way more sense then truly illogical characters like Trapster or Stilt-Man. At least Shocker had a criminal record before developing his gauntlets, is a somewhat sucessful criminal and seems to enjoy being a criminal, unlike Trapster and Stilt-Man who had no criminal records before becomming super villains, could have made money leigitmately and are very bad at being criminals, you almost wonder why they didn't quit after their first appearance. They are far more illogical than Shocker.

I don't mind Shocker being a joke villain in the Ultimate Universe, except for the fact that I think the joke is played out at this point. Frankly I think they dropped the ball on revamping most of B-list villains, they made most of them more silly instead of more tragic or more formidible.

If Timm can revamp a goofy character like Mr. Freeze into a very tragic, why can't Bendis do the same for B-list Spidey villains?

I think that depends on whether you like 616 Shocker or not. If you don't like 616 Shocker then its okay to make him a joke, if you like 616 Shocker you will not approve of the way Ultimate Shcoker is handled.

To be fair, 616 Shocker has certain kind of appeal that not everyone will agree with. He is a very simple villain, which is different from all the villains with a ton of emotional baggage or a twisted psychoses. Shocker seems to like being a criminal and isn't a blood thristy maniac who goes around killing people for kicks. That kind of gives him an air of professionalism and makes he seem honourable then other super criminals.

He makes way more sense then truly illogical characters like Trapster or Stilt-Man. At least Shocker had a criminal record before developing his gauntlets, is a somewhat sucessful criminal and seems to enjoy being a criminal, unlike Trapster and Stilt-Man who had no criminal records before becomming super villains, could have made money leigitmately and are very bad at being criminals, you almost wonder why they didn't quit after their first appearance. They are far more illogical than Shocker.

I don't mind Shocker being a joke villain in the Ultimate Universe, except for the fact that I think the joke is played out at this point. Frankly I think they dropped the ball on revamping most of B-list villains, they made most of them more silly instead of more tragic or more formidible.

If Timm can revamp a goofy character like Mr. Freeze into a very tragic, why can't Bendis do the same for B-list Spidey villains?

Hmm... good points about what made 616 shocker work.

Ultimate Shocker is great though, although I agree that the joke is overplayed at this point. Bendis should show him evolve into an actually formidable villain... Maybe the brains behind the Clone Saga?

Too much too fast. He should at least be build up to a formidable foe, not just thrown into a situation like that.

The Clone Saga thing was a joke. I dont buy USM (I do read it though), but I'm pretty sure I would not buy it twice as hard if Shocker was behind the clone saga.

Too much too fast. He should at least be build up to a formidable foe, not just thrown into a situation like that.

Agreed Shocker is supposed to be a simple character, a criminal and a thief, not a evil mastermind, just making him more of a competent criminal go a long way to making him tougher. I think there are far more silly characters, like Stilt-Man (come on everything about him is goofy) that would work better as a joke villain.

I am still disappointed with the Ultimatization of the villains overall, all the villains are either psychos or thugs, there is a seriously lack of honourable, noble, sympathic or tragic villains in the UU. I would like to see Bendis do for a villain what Bruce Timm did for Mr. Freeze: have a villain who had his life totally destroyed before he became a villain, someone who is a villain because of a tragic event rather them being a psycho or a thug. It would be a nice change of pace for Spidey to feel sorry for a villain.

Re: Ultimare Revamps: Which Ones Worked and Which Ones Didn't

Yes, he's in his 60s. Sean Connery is in his 70s and is in excellent shape. What's you point? He was persecuted throughout his life, so your point that he was a spoiled rich kid is completely moot. And no, they wouldn't execute him because that would make him a martyr.

As noted before what evidence is there he personally survived Holocaust, because there doesn't seem to be evidence to directly suggest that. Just you grasping at straws.

Well, if your going by a single fight, then Cap is stronger than Hulk (Because he beat the crap out of him in Ultimates), and Spidey is just a strong as Cap (As shown in Ultimate Six). Just because Colossus blind-sided Thor as he was fighting Storm doesn't make him more powerful. And if you want to see Thor's strength, please look at Ultimates #13, where he takes down most of the Chituari fleet, or Ultimates 2 #5 where it takes the entire Ultimates and Union teams to take him down. And you may think its boring, but I, and many others, don't. An abused child is overdone, a father beating a child to become perfect is not.

Ultimate Thor had trouble with Electro in the Ultimate Six mini, 616 Thor would have beaten 616 Electro in 3 seconds. Ultimate Thor is not that tough. 616 Doom wasn't abused, so I don't know what your talking about. Also I have seen a million movies and tv shpws with kids been driven top prefection by their parents, its a cliche and its a motive for emo b!tches, not super villains.

You aren't likely to meet anyone like the 616 Goblin. He was super-powered and flew around on a glider. If you're looking for realism, comics aren't the medium for you.

At least 616 Goblin was original, not some piss poor Hulk clone.

Can not speak for everyone but out what i've read my list dont kknow if all of these are that diffrent:

5 my 5 worst even if i still like seeing them in the comics

5th- carnage (i loved at first till I whent back and re-read and dised i prefured insain son of venom)
4th - hulk (I like hulk but they made him say stupid thing in ultimates vol 1 how ever when i read the spider-man hulk team up he could be cool again)
3rd - Shocker (he needs the yellow silly suit)
2nd - Vulture (robotic not as cool as old man draining youth)
1st - Venom (I liked the original 616 venom *eddie version only thou* Ultimate one is just not as cool as he's not an alien suit ,does not use Spider-mans powers and does not have logo *at least he didn't till end of game*)

In my opinion, all of those characters you mentioned were some of the best Ultimizations.
Carnage- While the Gwen Stacy clone saga angle is looking iffy, the original concept of Curt Conners creating a being out of pure scientific inquery was intriquing. Carnage as a character was never a bad idea, it was just the stories put around it that discredited it. And 616 Carnage is just terrible.

Hulk- Ultimate Hulk is and always will be one of the most interesting characters of the Ultimates. Having Bruce Banner go from this somewhat likeable scientist into the biggest jackass in the world makes him that much more interesting. The thing that I didn't like about 616 Hulk was that when he went on a rampage he never killed anyone. This is the anti-616 Hulk.

Shocker- I don't see why Shocker's suit is what makes him bad. Herman Schultz is interesting in the fact that he's so pathetic that you have to enjoy every appearance he has.

Vulture- For some reason a 70 year old man flying in a flight suit around New York city is far less interesting than a former agent of SHIELD with a power suit and is funded by the Tinkerer.

Venom- I would put Venom in the top ten of all ULtimizations. I like 616 Venom (not as much as you obviously,) and he is good for 616, but his origins would not work for the Ultimate Universe. Can you imagine Peter Parker going to an alien world with the other heroes of Earth, fighting all of the villains, getting a magic power replicating costume that's alive, going back to Earth wearing it for a few years then he finds out it tries to eat him. Oh and it would make no sense for the suit to have the spider-symbol because he put a raw suit on, not one that was bitten by a spider.

As noted before what evidence is there he personally survived Holocaust, because there doesn't seem to be evidence to directly suggest that. Just you grasping at straws.

Regardless, he did have family members die in it. He was persecuted for being a mutant his entire life. What more do you want? He became delusional and eventually went insane.

Ultimate Thor had trouble with Electro in the Ultimate Six mini, 616 Thor would have beaten 616 Electro in 3 seconds. Ultimate Thor is not that tough. 616 Doom wasn't abused, so I don't know what your talking about. Also I have seen a million movies and tv shpws with kids been driven top prefection by their parents, its a cliche and its a motive for emo b!tches, not super villains.

First of all, you're comparisons are off. 616 Electro is NOT Ultimate Electro, so saying 616 Thor could take 616 Electro is a moot point. Secondly, the fight between them was never shown. Thor came out unscathed and Electro was knocked out, that's the extant we saw. And you can repeat your point about emo kids all you want, it doesn't make your opinion right. Revenge is awfully played out quite a bit too, and that is 616 Doom's motivation. Also, I wouldn't exactly classify Ultimate Doom as a super-villain. Yes, he hates Reed Richards, but he has no aspirations for world domination.

At least 616 Goblin was original, not some piss poor Hulk clone.

Again, an opinion. I've always hated 616 Green Goblin, but that's my opinion.

Last edited:

Hulk- Ultimate Hulk is and always will be one of the most interesting characters of the Ultimates. Having Bruce Banner go from this somewhat likeable scientist into the biggest jackass in the world makes him that much more interesting. The thing that I didn't like about 616 Hulk was that when he went on a rampage he never killed anyone. This is the anti-616 Hulk.
I agree I just hated him for the fact they made him say "hulk want freddie prince jr." a line that was funny but sooooo wrong. a few other lines he said were wrong and ruined ultimate hulk.

Shocker- I don't see why Shocker's suit is what makes him bad. Herman Schultz is interesting in the fact that he's so pathetic that you have to enjoy every appearance he has.
but the suit was funny and lame and the point of alot of jokes. i miss the suit. was never a big shocker fan but with out the suit he is not as good IMO

Vulture- For some reason a 70 year old man flying in a flight suit around New York city is far less interesting than a former agent of SHIELD with a power suit and is funded by the Tinkerer.
but the draining the youth to be young is a cool concept that works. a disgruntled former agent is ok but it's not as good of concept.

As we age we all want to be younger. So we can relate a to it and then it raises a good ethical question. how much would you be willing to go through to recapture your youth? that is genius.

Venom- I would put Venom in the top ten of all ULtimizations. I like 616 Venom (not as much as you obviously,) and he is good for 616, but his origins would not work for the Ultimate Universe. Can you imagine Peter Parker going to an alien world with the other heroes of Earth, fighting all of the villains, getting a magic power replicating costume that's alive, going back to Earth wearing it for a few years then he finds out it tries to eat him. Oh and it would make no sense for the suit to have the spider-symbol because he put a raw suit on, not one that was bitten by a spider.

did not have to be 616 origin as such. 90's cartoon origin or something similar would work. I just think the evil Spider-man that is so very much like Spider-man yet different enough to be cool works much better than making him pretty much a basic monster that we have all seen thousands of times.

big , strong , eats people. sounds like 1000000 of the horror movie monsters out there.

I love Ultimate Venom , it's origins are extremely cooler than both 616 and 90's Tv show. Also Eddie Brock's character as pure evil teenager , makes it even cooler and gives Venom a different dimension.

I have to admit I like Ultimate Jessica Jones too, way better than 616 or 80's tv show :D:D

Ultimate Shocker is cool too!! He is like, the best ultimization eva.I like 616 Shocker too, and the joke-villain idea is nice too.

As a note , Ultimate Beetle was pretty cool too, it's too bad that he couldn't be seen anywhere except of the USM:Game. I loved it when people on the street shouted like "Whoa! Is that Iron Man?"

I love Ultimate Venom , it's origins are extremely cooler than both 616 and 90's Tv show. Also Eddie Brock's character as pure evil teenager , makes it even cooler and gives Venom a different dimension.

I have to admit I like Ultimate Jessica Jones too, way better than 616 or 80's tv show :D:D

Ultimate Shocker is cool too!! He is like, the best ultimization eva.I like 616 Shocker too, and the joke-villain idea is nice too.

As a note , Ultimate Beetle was pretty cool too, it's too bad that he couldn't be seen anywhere except of the USM:Game. I loved it when people on the street shouted like "Whoa! Is that Iron Man?"

Jessica Jones? The star of the comic book Alias? I don't think she is in the UU yet and I know she wasn't in the 80s Spidey cartoon. Are you thinking of Firestar? Or are you joking?

Latest posts

Back