Ultimate Secret #1 (Spoilers)

Goodwill

The issue was finally released and, my, what a cool way to have it kick off! We got a little bit of everything and, while Ellis was still very wordy with science and things that don't matter to anyone but him, I thought it was very cool. I'm not going to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet, but I thought this issue was very good and certainly a little better than Nightmare, even at this point.

It wasn't bad. But I wasn't that impressed with it.

Question I have is why did Mar-vell stop the flight? I thought that's what the robot wanted to do... hmmm?

Anyone notice Danvers eyes are a similar shade of green that Mar-vell's are. Could be a coincidence or maybe we'll get more out of Ultimate Ms. Marvel in the next issue.

Anyway I thought it was a bad start to the second part.

Last edited:
Well, maybe I got a little caught up with the FANTASTIC art in this issue when I first posted, however, I'm going to side with MwoF on this one, storywise. I mean the action was great and Ellis did a remarkable job making science somewhat interesting again, however, there is a vagueness in this plot that is not suitable for the schedule of such a book. The mini-series is PROBABLY finished, so why not move this up a bit in the ranks? I'd like to see the second issue out sooner than (???).

Also, to answer your question MwoF, I don't think he was TRYING to destroy the rocket, rather, dismantle the atomic bomb engine in the heart of it and made a mistake... We'll have to see, though.

I'm pretty sure he realized that he wasn't going to stop the Killform or whatever it was called, and that by destroying the Asis, he would prevent his superiors from *****ing at him while simultaneously destroying the Killform, keeping it from killing any more humans.

jtg3885 said:
I'm pretty sure he realized that he wasn't going to stop the Killform or whatever it was called, and that by destroying the Asis, he would prevent his superiors from *****ing at him while simultaneously destroying the Killform, keeping it from killing any more humans.
Absolutely.

The issue wasn't a "OH MY GOD, IT WAS GREAT!!!", but it was still an awesome read. The art I do like better than Nightmare. This issue was a good start. :)

I dunno, I think it was a bit of a waste myself. It's a UFF/Ultimates series, but we've seen neither yet. There's some big thing with the Kree willing to obliterate our planet, and outside of a single Killform sent to take out one rocket (and of course Mahr Vehl), we've seen nothing of them.

Although I did think of a reason why they're doing this. I don't know if it was brought up in the speculation thread for US, but maybe they're obliterating all life in Galactus's path so that he'll run out of energy and die?

jtg3885 said:
I don't know if it was brought up in the speculation thread for US, but maybe they're obliterating all life in Galactus's path so that he'll run out of energy and die?

That is a great idea!!!:D That seems totally fesible. I wonder though why there aren't more heralds out in the universe trying to stop them. I can't believe that vision was the only herald of galactus. Especially since as a robot galactus could have made many duplicate of him. I personally would love to see an army of visions do battle with the kree.

Erm, he wasn't that kind of herald. Herald as in a warning in this case. He was supposed to give humanity a century to prepare to fight back, but thanks to the faulty propulsion system and the Russians, he was only discovered with weeks or months remaining. Definitely under a year though. Unless they're making Galactus an Eidolon (sp?), but the idea of a whole race of Galactuses would be a bit excessive. Well, assuming they keep Eidolons as a species.

hehe, I was expecting a 500 word essay on why it wouldn't be a pseudo-latin plural because it's proper name and not a species, and that that is not his name anyway.

I got off lightly.

I am truly blessed. :D

Last edited:
awesome

I really enjoyed this first issue. Let me count the ways:
(1) Art- wow. I loved the perspective shots from page 3 and the last 2 pages. Nicely done.

(2) Science talk- I like it. Tell me how the physics of the world works and then stick to it.

(3) Mahr Vehl- interesting that he has to strip before changing. But given Ellis' tendency toward a "real-world" explanation, I guess you wouldn't expect normal clothing to change with him.

(4) Carol Danvers- anyone else think Annie Lennox was the model for the look she has?

(5) Story- introduced characters, situations, and bam into the action. This is how books should be written.

Wamu said:
(3) Mahr Vehl- interesting that he has to strip before changing. But given Ellis' tendency toward a "real-world" explanation, I guess you wouldn't expect normal clothing to change with him.
I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that he's a suit... even on the generous salary I'm sure he gets, replacing quality suits on a regular basis because your metamorphosis destroys them would get costly.

This was a very good issue - a great introduction to the series that explained jsut enough to have an idea what is going on without giving too much away. I DID notice that Danvers' eyes are similar to Mahr Vehl's - can't wait to see if that is coicidence. McNiven's art is great. Can't wait to see how this ties into Nightmare.

TheManWithoutFear said:
The art was not better than NIGHTMARE. I'm sure this "second chapter" will pick up when it's all said and done but this was a very bad start.

I very strongly disagree.

Me, too... I thought that this was one of the most respectable Ultimate Issues art-wise in a while. Hairsine's was good and all, but he definitely needs time to refine his talent.

I thought I read that Capt. Marvel actually had surgery of some sort... That was when he was talking to the Killform... We'll see what he actually is compared to the Kree.

Goodwill said:
I thought I read that Capt. Marvel actually had surgery of some sort... That was when he was talking to the Killform... We'll see what he actually is compared to the Kree.
Where did you read that? :?

Well, Capt. Marvel says, "Uplink to Kruiser Night's Inquiry, query file infiltration break Mahr Vel break Surgery". I thought that was why the Killform didn't recognize the Kree in him at first... Since he had surgery or something done to him cosmetically.

Latest posts

Back