Ultimate Secret #1 (Spoilers)

Guijllons said:
And, although I did really appreciate Ellis's decompression in Nightmare, I do feel he needs to give us more now. Accelerate a bit, make us properly scared.

Agreed, and I think the fact that it's only 4 issues will help that.

My impressions about it:

Good issue, doesn't say much as stand-alone but toghether with the other three issues I'm sure it will be great.

1.) Dr. Philip Lawson said he been in a car accident (and probably spent some time in a hospital) three years ago and it's not until after that that they improve security.

2.) Captain Mahr Vehl says he had surgery and the Killform deasn't recognise him so he has changed his apperence.

1 + 2 = Dr. Lawson got replaced by Captain Mahr Vehl (that now had the apperence of the Doc) in or directly after the car accident.

Captain Mahr Vehl didn't blow up the rocket. The Killform did. The Cap tried to rescue the engine before it exploded (since he realised that he couldn't stop the Killform from advancing towards the rocket).

Ultimate Warrior said:
Captain Mahr Vehl didn't blow up the rocket. The Killform did. The Cap tried to rescue the engine before it exploded (since he realised that he couldn't stop the Killform from advancing towards the rocket).
He's sitting in there yanking out random cables, and then the rocket explodes. I think it's pretty clear that he blew it.

jtg3885 said:
He's sitting in there yanking out random cables, and then the rocket explodes. I think it's pretty clear that he blew it.
I saw the Killform power up for a shot, the rocket starts to explode through the sides in the same angle as the Killform was aiming in and made that assumption.
I don't say that I'm right, just that I read the issue that way. You can be absolutely right. We won't know for sure until Ultimate Secret #2 comes out.

Yeah, I can definitely see where both sides of the argument are coming from, however, again, I'm siding along with J because I think Capt. Marvel made the mistakek of going at the wires with the carelessness he did.

test_2.jpg

That was what I based it on, but since so many say I'm wrong I have to be :?

I thought it was quite obvious Mahr Vehl is trying to save the energy core and it looks like he failed.

I'm surprised to hear people didn't read it this way. I've tried to read it as him blowing it up, but it just doesn't make sense at all as to why he would do it.

Eh. To me, the best bit was the standoff with the killform. Terrific writing. This is why Ellis, in my opinion, gets away with decompression. He decompresses to heighten moments, not because he can't be succinct. He's top-notch.

Bass said:
I thought it was quite obvious Mahr Vehl is trying to save the energy core and it looks like he failed.

I'm surprised to hear people didn't read it this way. I've tried to read it as him blowing it up, but it just doesn't make sense at all as to why he would do it.

Eh. To me, the best bit was the standoff with the killform. Terrific writing. This is why Ellis, in my opinion, gets away with decompression. He decompresses to heighten moments, not because he can't be succinct. He's top-notch.
I posted that a while back. I'm pretty sure he realized that he wasn't going to stop the Killform or whatever it was called, and that by destroying the Asis, he would prevent his superiors from thinking he had any sympathy for the humans while simultaneously destroying the Killform, keeping it from killing any more humans.

jtg3885 said:
I posted that a while back. I'm pretty sure he realized that he wasn't going to stop the Killform or whatever it was called, and that by destroying the Asis, he would prevent his superiors from thinking he had any sympathy for the humans while simultaneously destroying the Killform, keeping it from killing any more humans.
Yeah, I agree with you there.

Doesn't make sense.

From what we've seen of the character so far - he's a hero, and he believes in and cherishes humanity. He tells the killform to tell the Shipthane that he's coming to kill him. He seems to act as if has no intention of doing what his superiors want.

I think, all of sudden, him trying to save his own ***, is not a believable reason for him to destroy the shuttle he so wants to protect.

If he did destroy it on purpose, the only reason I can think of is that he saved the power core, then blew up the shuttle to make it look like humanity can't reach the stars. But even that doesn't make sense since there's no need for him to blow it up. The machine's going to do it anyway. If he wants it destroyed, he just has to sit back and let it happen - which is what he was supposed to do. He doesn't have to blow his cover, and the killform's, in order to destroy the shuttle. If he wants to look like he's on the Kree's side, he just has to watch.

To me, I can't think of a credible reason for him to decide to destroy the shuttle given the information we have on him so far.

Doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Bass said:
Doesn't make sense.

From what we've seen of the character so far - he's a hero, and he believes in and cherishes humanity. He tells the killform to tell the Shipthane that he's coming to kill him. He seems to act as if has no intention of doing what his superiors want.

I think, all of sudden, him trying to save his own ***, is not a believable reason for him to destroy the shuttle he so wants to protect.

If he did destroy it on purpose, the only reason I can think of is that he saved the power core, then blew up the shuttle to make it look like humanity can't reach the stars. But even that doesn't make sense since there's no need for him to blow it up. The machine's going to do it anyway. If he wants it destroyed, he just has to sit back and let it happen - which is what he was supposed to do. He doesn't have to blow his cover, and the killform's, in order to destroy the shuttle. If he wants to look like he's on the Kree's side, he just has to watch.

To me, I can't think of a credible reason for him to decide to destroy the shuttle given the information we have on him so far.

Doesn't make sense.
The Killform delivers new orders to him. "Mission parameters altered. Humans will not be allowed to escape the planet. Comply with destruction of Asis or be disavowed." Then he realizes, "I'm not going to stop it, am I?" at which point he hops up into the Asis and starts tearing out cables. I think he definitely used the Asis to destroy the Killform, but I'l concede his other motivations may or may not involve trying to stay on his superiors' good side.

I don't think blowing up the Asis to get the killform makes a lot of sense. If the shuttle's explosion would destroy the killform, then the killform was going to die by its own hand. Again, Mahr Vehl need do nothing.

The only reason for him to jump into the Asis is to save the ZPE drive so that another test shuttle can be performed.

"Come on, come on, how many cables did Binder design into you..."

If he's just going to blow up the shuttle - who cares how many cables the engine core has?

Bass said:
Doesn't make sense.

Doesn't make sense.
Ooooh, now I agree with you.

Bass said:
I don't think blowing up the Asis to get the killform makes a lot of sense. If the shuttle's explosion would destroy the killform, then the killform was going to die by its own hand. Again, Mahr Vehl need do nothing.

The only reason for him to jump into the Asis is to save the ZPE drive so that another test shuttle can be performed.

If he's just going to blow up the shuttle - who cares how many cables the engine core has?
Erm, you don't think the Killform has ranged combat capabilities? And is smart enough to move to a safe distance? I think the Killform was programmed to chase it's prey, and was stupid enough to chase Mahr Vehl and he knew it, and used that to draw the Killform into the blast radius. And I think he's pulling the cables to destabilize the ZPE drive, and is a bit dismayed at how long it's actually taking.

The only time the Killform stopped moving was when Mahr Vehl got in the way.

The blast radius seems to cover all of the area it covered by walking, which would mean that it had to get close to the shuttle to blow it up, destroying the tracks that led to the shuttle, and the bodies of the soldiers so that the weapons used to kill them could not be deduced as highly advanced. If it had ranged weapons that it could fire from outside the blast raidus that would ultimately destroy it, why walk into that radius unless it's supposed to be destroyed?

It seems to be a programmable, walking, invisible tank-bomb.

Bass said:

This is similar to what I said in the beginning. He was trying to preserve the nuclear heart for another test and simply made a mistake. That's all.

Damn, I wish I could read this. I have only the slightest idea what you're talking about.

It's not that it wasn't good, but it could've been better... I mean the boring stuff significantly outweighed what we were all looking forward to.

Latest posts

Back