Ultimate Secret #1 (Spoilers)

Goodwill said:
Well, Capt. Marvel says, "Uplink to Kruiser Night's Inquiry, query file infiltration break Mahr Vel break Surgery". I thought that was why the Killform didn't recognize the Kree in him at first... Since he had surgery or something done to him cosmetically.
Hmm..I see.

There could be a chance maybe that it meant something else? :?

I won't judge the story yet because it is too soon, but I have to say I like the art a lot more than nightmare.

McNiven= crisp, nice :)
Hairsine= muddy, late :x

icemastertron said:
Hmm..I see.

There could be a chance maybe that it meant something else? :?
Be nice to see the UU continue to pull away from the Star Trek Original Series style of all the aliens being generally human looking. We've seen the odd ones at the beginning of UN, the Chitauri were shape-shifters, and now it would seem that while Captain Mahr Vehl is human-looking, that's not his original form. And the original form probably isn't humanoid, since the Killform doesn't recognize him at all. Cool by me.

TheManWithoutFear said:
good call. I hope after this they stop introducing more alien species though.
Right there with you. I'm just saying, if they have to, I'd rather see actual aliens than humans with weird colors of skin or something lame like that.

Decent issue!

OK -

I don't like McNiven's art. It's too 80's Carmine Infantino for me (does that make me old if I remember that?). I can live with it for 4 issues, though. Now, on the other hand, the coloring is Duke of New York A #1!

I think Hairsine was perfect for Nightmare - it was suppossed to be dark and muddy.

Y'all slam the book for not putting out like a girl on prom night. Why? Are none of you writers or artists yourselves? You have to think of the mini's in the Ultimate Galactus arc as individual books. I've said it before on this site - The first issue is like the opening of a book or the proluge in a movie. It purposely tells you very little to get you to continue reading. It's good marketing on Marvel's behalf. It's certainly got me going "HOLY CRAP I NEED ISSUE 2 STAT!"

So I give it a B+ for a grade. Above average writing and artwork (I said I didn't like his art - I didn't say it wasn't good.).

PEACE!

Leather
:twisted:

leather_w0lf said:
Y'all slam the book for not putting out like a girl on prom night. Why? Are none of you writers or artists yourselves? You have to think of the mini's in the Ultimate Galactus arc as individual books. I've said it before on this site - The first issue is like the opening of a book or the proluge in a movie. It purposely tells you very little to get you to continue reading. It's good marketing on Marvel's behalf. It's certainly got me going "HOLY CRAP I NEED ISSUE 2 STAT!"
Let me thank you first for being such a crude and base individual as to use that particular analogy. What a lovely way to display your class and intelligence.

I do, as a matter of fact, write, and I still think that it was too slow an opening, especially given that it's only a four comic arc. We've got a whole new species that needs to be introduced, along with their motives being dealt with, as well as SHIELD convincing Captain Mahr Vehl to turn on his own people. And yet we've seen one surgically altered Kree, and one robot so far. We have no real Kree presence, and particularly pathetic for an Ultimates/Fantastic Four crossover, no members of either team. The only person related to either team was Dr. Storm being present for the briefing, and he wasn't even a particularly important member.

And you misspelled prologue to boot. o_O

?

Blah on the misspelled word, sh!t happens. That's why you have spell check, grammar check and editors. Oh, and being a writer didn't help your god awfully long and grammatically incorrect sentences, either, now did it?

Double blah on your dig at me. How I choose to write is my choice and is not an indication of ignorance on my behalf - it's called creativity. Now, by your choice to open your pie hole, you have shown that you are a man in dire need of a life. Go out and get drunk on me tonight, enjoy life son!

As far as my choice of twisted up cliches, I was trying to be funny. Funny - you know - that thing called humor? That thing that makes you laugh? :lol:

Let me digress and spell this out in proper written English:

Why is everyone so disappointed in the issue for not releasing more "Secrets?"

(EEEEK! I am reduced to the lowest form of humor in a pun in order to be politically correct!")

My apologies if I offended anyone else with my crass liberal humor. My sarcasm precedes me.

Leather
:evil:

I just didn't like it because really there wasn't that much dialogue and most of the comic was leaked onto the internet before its realease so hopefully the other 3 comics in the series will pull this one out of the gutters but I would say the art is good but other than that it was ok

leather_w0lf said:
Blah on the misspelled word, sh!t happens. That's why you have spell check, grammar check and editors. Oh, and being a writer didn't help your god awfully long and grammatically incorrect sentences, either, now did it?

Double blah on your dig at me. How I choose to write is my choice and is not an indication of ignorance on my behalf - it's called creativity. Now, by your choice to open your pie hole, you have shown that you are a man in dire need of a life. Go out and get drunk on me tonight, enjoy life son!

As far as my choice of twisted up cliches, I was trying to be funny. Funny - you know - that thing called humor? That thing that makes you laugh? :lol:

Let me digress and spell this out in proper written English:

Why is everyone so disappointed in the issue for not releasing more "Secrets?"

(EEEEK! I am reduced to the lowest form of humor in a pun in order to be politically correct!")

My apologies if I offended anyone else with my crass liberal humor. My sarcasm precedes me.

Leather
:evil:

That's the last on this subject. Back on topic.

Ooooh, looks like I missed all of the excitement.

Anyway, the book started too slowly for me. It didn't feel dramatic, and too much of the issue was just a bit silly fight and some generic Ellis science talk. Wasn't hot.
Love Ellis's work usually, as I think we all do. Which is why so many people see this as something of a disappointment. Especially after the delays of Ult. Nightmare.
I'm sure it will pick up.

I think, at times, Ellis gets a little carried away with the science talk. While I usually don't mind it, and didn't mind it in this issue, I can see that it tends to run longer than it should. I mean, it pushed a fight scene that should've been more elaborate into the back of the issue... I would have much rather liked to see more of the fight scene and less of all those people talking. I also thought it was unnecessary to see the security briefing because it took up pages of stuff that could've been used more constructively. Now, I'm not saying I want more secrets revealed in the first issue, however, I am saying that the issue could have been more direct for a four part series. For the first time, it seems, I'm actually agreeing with J.

I just think the science talk could have been coming out of anybodies mouth. The only thing that really defined marvel as his own character, was the semi-flirtation with carol danvers. Not enough for an introduction issue in my opinion.
And big fights... Not my thing, I hope this isn't a forerunner for how the series will play out, a big battle with galactus.
But, the art is superb, I can't take that away from it. Though the captain marvel suit wasn't the coolest I've ever seen. But hey.

I really enjoyed it.

It's great how the art is so completely different and appropriate. Hairsiene's (or however your spell it) murky, and eerily vivid work was a create way to show the nightmare of the Tunguska camp, and helped set up the awful fate of Vision and the sheer terror of Galactus and his... arrival.

In Secret, we have an open, bright, and clean style of art, that plays into the aspiriations of the Asis program and, no doubt, will be the light to burn out the crucible of the secret... which makes me wonder who Ultimate Extinction's artist will be.

But I'm so happy. After all my moaning of nothing happening in the first issue's of series, here we see a protagonist, and inciting incident. Action, dialogue, character revelation - it's great.

Plus, Mahr Vehl has a watch that turns him into a superhero.

Ellis did some fine science-talking, once again, making me realise just how awful I am at explaining the internet to my mum. I need to find an issue where Ellis explains the internet and how to operate it so I can tell her. This is because, after reading this issue of Secret, I could probably become a rocket scientist (ok, well I can't, but I feel I know as much as they do). Plus, all that great Kree talking. Really, really well done. Despite all the gibberish and weird programming-grammar, we understand quite a few things about what the killform was up to, and just who Mahr Vehl is; that is he is a high-ranking officer of the Kree, he's been surgically altered to look human, he's rebellious and hates his superiors, loves and cherishes humanity, impatient and unforgiving, and pragmatic.

Pretty impressive, I think.

Also, I notice that some people seem to think that Mahr Vehl intended to blow up Asis. Mahr Vehl realises he can't stop the killform from destroying Asis. As far as I can tell, he's went into the shuttle, not to blow it up, but to rescue its power source, so all was not lost and that they could try again at a later date - should the drive engine get ruined, chances are the technology would either be lost or set back decades. This was the only out.

Really, smooth, superhero sci-fi fun.

Plus, as excited I am, I'm terrified of Galactus. :scared:

Bass said:
It's great how the art is so completely different and appropriate. Hairsiene's (or however your spell it) murky, and eerily vivid work was a create way to show the nightmare of the Tunguska camp, and helped set up the awful fate of Vision and the sheer terror of Galactus and his... arrival.

Exactly. I wasn't a fan of his work on Ultimate Six but it fit perfectly for Nightmare.

Bass said:
In Secret, we have an open, bright, and clean style of art, that plays into the aspiriations of the Asis program and, no doubt, will be the light to burn out the crucible of the secret... which makes me wonder who Ultimate Extinction's artist will be.

We should find out next month. :D

Bass said:
Plus, as excited I am, I'm terrified of Galactus. :scared:

The guy has only been mentioned by name, and already he's a VAST improvement over the original.

I dunno about that.

He better be wearing a skirt and a giant purple helmet.

In fact, I think he should have a Whammo-Ray aimed at Earth and he's going to turn it into gold so he can clean up.

Now, that's an Ultimate event.

It's true that Galatus is scary, and already better than the 616 vers. And, although I did really appreciate Ellis's decompression in Nightmare, I do feel he needs to give us more now. Accelerate a bit, make us properly scared. Slow burn can only last forever. I don't want to feel as though he's just knocking these stories out in his lunchbreak was notes saying "page 4 picture of Asis, page 10 and 11, big explosion"

Latest posts

Back