Ultimate Secret #2 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
That's more like it!

Kick *** action scene continuing Cap. Mar-vell's fight with the Killform. Then badass Fury interrogation scene and to the UFF where Reed is already solving the problem as to why the Drake Equation calls for more alien species but none of them seem to be showing up.

Still don't seem to be any powers from Carol Danvers and she doesn't know about Captain Mar-vell, neither did Fury. Mar-vell's mission was to watch Earth die because they know Galactus is coming.

I'm also glad he put a stop to the humans saying "Cree" instead of "Kree". It was really bothering me and I can't wait till they start saying "Galactus".

All in all awesome issue and the last panel was priceless. Still my only complaint is that it all takes place inbetween Vol. 1 and 2 of The Ultimates... oh well. Good read anyway.

I say this was an okay issue. I dont know where the Drake equation is from, but it's funny how Sue related to what is happening right now. I wanna see how Mahr Vehl is gonna escape. But the funny thing was Johnny and Ben in the Baxter Building. Cant wait to read the next one.

Wasn't Mar-vell trying to help the human race?

Does anyone else think that Danvers might be more than meets the eye. I know it's wild but the interrogation looks kind of... playful... I just don't know. Maybe she's secretly working with Mar-vell. Can someone tell me issue 1 said their relationship was like prior to this event?

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
All in all awesome issue and the last panel was priceless. Still my only complaint is that it all takes place inbetween Vol. 1 and 2 of The Ultimates... oh well. Good read anyway.

I actually understand it taking place between Vol 1 and Vol 2 for a few reasons. First of all. . .I think ALL of the other books aren't quite up to Ultimates Vol 2 yet. Hell, maybe Secret is right where Spider-man and X-men are right now. And FF is lagging behind a bit. The OTHER thing that makes it fit is in the first or second issue of Ultimates 2, when Quicksilver gets a call to meet up with the rest of the Ultimates he says something to the effect of "What is it now? ANOTHER alien invasion?" suggesting there has been more then one. Chitauri, Kree and Gah Lak Tus himself.

Ultimate Mahr Vehl is soooo freaking cool....

Yeah...

So SHIELD didnt know about the Kree.... hmmm... there goes my "Kree responsible for supersoldier program" theory. Unless they've had operatives on the same line as Mahr Vehl working in secret.

AWESOME.

AWESOME.

AWESOME.

What a great issue. Why can't Ellis write UFF like this? In half of one issue he's written them better than 3 arcs of their own book.

Everything was great about this - from the continued fight to Mahr Vehl's "confession" to the dialogue between Sue & Reed to the appearance by Thor & Iron Man. What a great book! The pacing couldn't be more perfect and McNiven is brilliant - he draws the best Sue Storm/Richards ever.

I absolutely can't wait for #3 - 2 issues in and this is one of my favorite books.

Lynx said:
I actually understand it taking place between Vol 1 and Vol 2 for a few reasons. First of all. . .I think ALL of the other books aren't quite up to Ultimates Vol 2 yet. Hell, maybe Secret is right where Spider-man and X-men are right now. And FF is lagging behind a bit. The OTHER thing that makes it fit is in the first or second issue of Ultimates 2, when Quicksilver gets a call to meet up with the rest of the Ultimates he says something to the effect of "What is it now? ANOTHER alien invasion?" suggesting there has been more then one. Chitauri, Kree and Gah Lak Tus himself.

Yeah, I understand it happening but still Ultimates 2 just seems to pick up right right after Ultimates 1... yeah, I know it's a year later, but there's no changes in the team or anything to suggest a huge worldwide disaster has struck Earth.
dr. stragefate said:
So SHIELD didnt know about the Kree.... hmmm... there goes my "Kree responsible for supersoldier program" theory. Unless they've had operatives on the same line as Mahr Vehl working in secret.

I thought in secret is what you meant the whole time. So you're theory is still working for me.

Jesus, E. Do you need sometime to yourself on this one? :twisted:

TheManWithoutFear said:
Jesus, E. Do you need sometime to yourself on this one? :twisted:

Sorry, I'm just not real used to having a single issue of a larger arc have that perfect balance of action/plot advancement/suspense. The ONLY book that does that on a consistant basis is Ultimates 2.

UltimateE said:
Sorry, I'm just not real used to having a single issue of a larger arc have that perfect balance of action/plot advancement/suspense. The ONLY book that does that on a consistant basis is Ultimates 2.

Truth. but actually Ultimates 2 is mostly known for it's story development with nearly no action. I mean the Thor Vs. Ultimates is the only issue we've gotten so far with action.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Truth. but actually Ultimates 2 is mostly known for it's story development with nearly no action. I mean the Thor Vs. Ultimates is the only issue we've gotten so far with action.

"Action" doesn't have to mean fight scenes.

TheManWithoutFear said:
That's very deep of you

:lol:

TheManWithoutFear said:
but if that's the case then everything else has action too doesn't it?

I should have prefaced that by saying quality action - everything that is happening in Secret logically fits into the grand scheme of things in a clear and easy-to-understand manner. It really could be the same thing as plot advancement, which clearly ain't happening in UFF or USM. Secret already feels like an honest to goodness story, just like Ultimates 2. UFF and USM don't, to me.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'm gonna back out of this convo

Good idea - me too.

This issue hit on all cylinders for me, too. It was fast, logical, and loaded with playful asides and plenty of smartly played-out action. What I liked best was that it was able to economically sketch a quirky, quite funny personality for ol' Cap Marvel. His alibis -- I'm Spider-Man (thwip) as he was passing out (hilarious), then the convoluted Iron Man wannabe explanation, and finally the Kree defector story. A great and really entertaining take on an old character, which has been the trademark of the whole UU.

But I also share the gripe that this is taking place before Ultimates II, which I found out only a couple weeks ago. It kind of dilutes the impact of what's to come. Maybe Thor will teleport Galactus to Asgard, wiping out the place and further hurting his argument that he's really Thor.

One question: Who is Carol Danvers (wasn't that Supergirl's secret ID?) and why do some people believe she has powers? What powers?

Last edited:
This was an amazing issue. Reed/Sue flirting (and some nice shots of Sue :drooling: ), Mahr Vell, Iron Man's dialogue at the end...

Carol Danvers, in the 616, is Ms. Marvel/Binary/Warbird. Her powers were related to the Kree.

Linda Danvers was Supergirl.

I'm picking it up on Saturday (maybe Sunday).

Parthuman said:
One question: Who is Carol Danvers (wasn't that Supergirl's secret ID?) and why do some people believe she has powers? What powers?

I think Carol Danvers is Ms. Marvel in the 616 universe. Maybe now that she has been promoted to Fury's assistant. She'll be given super powers.

Back to having Danver's knowing that Mahr Vehl was an alien all along... I dont know, but the dialouge between them was hilarious. I cant wait to see the next issue and see the FF interact with Tony and Thor.

Parthuman said:

In 616, she was Ms. Marvel (She got her powers from a Kree device). She had flight and super strength until Rogue stole them (Which is why Rogue has those powers, incedently). Then, she bacame Binary which was a weaker version of her former alias, and she traveled with the intergalactic hero team The Starjammers. Finally, she bacame Warbird and sh's pretty much back to full strength but can also shoot and absorb energy. Hope that helps!

Oh, and I kind of get the feeling that Danvers might also be a Kree. . .but who knows?

Lynx said:
Oh, and I kind of get the feeling that Danvers might also be a Kree. . .but who knows?

The Only panel I got that from was when they zoomed in to both their faces and her eyes were stark turquoise/blue.... the exact color of Mahr Vehl's.

And there is the fact that she didnt really admit to knowing what he was. She said he was an Indian, when it seemed pretty damn clear that he wasn't an Indian, but something a bit more Galactic....

And Captain Marvel is Hot. Just so you guys know. (any girls out there who can back me up on this?)

Dr.Strangefate said:
The Only panel I got that from was when they zoomed in to both their faces and her eyes were stark turquoise/blue.... the exact color of Mahr Vehl's.

And there is the fact that she didnt really admit to knowing what he was. She said he was an Indian, when it seemed pretty damn clear that he wasn't an Indian, but something a bit more Galactic....
The whole conversation just seemed, I dunno, like staged.

Dr.Strangefate said:
And Captain Marvel is Hot. Just so you guys know. (any girls out there who can back me up on this?)

DUDE! :lol:

Latest posts

Back