Ultimate Secret #3 delayed over 3 months to 9/21

An excellent point, however, we can't change the fact that this is happening, you know? It's like you're telling them they shouldn't market a mini-series because it will eventually lag behind... You can't say you blame Marvel.

Goodwill said:
An excellent point, however, we can't change the fact that this is happening, you know? It's like you're telling them they shouldn't market a mini-series because it will eventually lag behind... You can't say you blame Marvel.
But theres no reason for a mini to lag. Ever. It's a finite series, wich Marvel supposedly said was already in the can. And theres deffinatly no reason for it to be as late as it is. I'd like to know when Issue 3 was supposed to come out. It's going to be close to a year late at this rate.

Baxter said:
But theres no reason for a mini to lag. Ever. It's a finite series, wich Marvel supposedly said was already in the can. And theres deffinatly no reason for it to be as late as it is. I'd like to know when Issue 3 was supposed to come out. It's going to be close to a year late at this rate.
It was already said it was supposed to come out around 6/8.

You know I almost want to stop getting comics because of all these delays. I mean what is it like twenty a month. I most likly won't drop but this made me consider it which awhile ago I would of never thought possible.

From the Bendis boards, in all his usual typo-rific glory, Bendis discusses the delay on Ultimate Secret:

Gotta Confess Something- Ultimate Secret Delay My Fault

i was out of town when the news hit so i didn't see the uproar till it was too late, but i have to take the hit for the ultimate secret mini delay.

i told marvel i could do the NA sentry arc in three issues. i had laid out my scenes and had it all worked out and had jenkins blessing but writing isn't an exact science. in fact, science isn't an exact science. its writing, its organic. and as i kept writing i thought of new ideas and new scenes, and
scenes i had got tossed for new scenes and before i knew it i needed an extra issue. i tried to cram it all into the three issues, but it did not work.

i came to marvel yalmaka in hand and told them i needed the forth issue. i knew things were tight for steve but i didn't know exactly what the schedule was. we toyed with a fill in or having finch finish the story, but steve's work is so unique that a fill in would be glaring.

so though it was ultimately marvel's desicion to keep steve on the story, i do take the responsiblity for it because i said i could do one thing for them and could not. i would have never done this to any of you on purpose and i am sorry.

for the record warren was unbelievably gracous about it and the reason steve wasn't getting bumped is because he is doing this level of comic book art....

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=9793

thanks for understanding. in the long run itll all work out.

hey when i was a kid i had to wait a year and a half for the final issue of camelot 3000. so...

Ah-ha. Thanks for posting.

Of course, in hindsight we should have known...Bendis do an arc in 3 issues? HA!

Still though, he needed 1 extra issue for New Avengers. So why an (over) 3 month delay for the other book? Like has been said several times before, it doesn't 3 months to draw an entire issue.

Something still doesn't add up...

****ing Bendis. I wouldn't mind if I thought his stories were worth the issues they take to tell.

UltimateE said:
Ah-ha. Thanks for posting.

Of course, in hindsight we should have known...Bendis do an arc in 3 issues? HA!

Still though, he needed 1 extra issue for New Avengers. So why an (over) 3 month delay for the other book? Like has been said several times before, it doesn't 3 months to draw an entire issue.

Something still doesn't add up...

Attempting to read between the lines, it's possible that McNiven got started on the first couple issues as BMB was writing the rest and then BMB realized he had to rewrite, which meant a new start on drawing the issues -- it's about the only thing that makes sense, given the time delay, a multiple-issue re-do.

Ok...so Bendis screwed up in New Avengers. But wasn't Ultimate Secret supposedly completed before they even released the first issue. Wasn't that the reason the first issue was delayed?

Baxter said:
I mean ORIGINALY ship. Before all the Ultimate Nightmare delays too.

I believe the only time it ever made the solicitation list was for June 05. And interestingly enough, there was no accompanying cover.

Steve McNiven just posted at Millarworld: http://www.millarworld.net/index.php?showtopic=48564&st=120&#entry1090274

First post at Millarworld.
Actually first post anywhere this year.
It was very cool of Brain to put up the post he did. A real class act. I just don't think that all the blame can be placed squarely at Brians feet. Sure, adding another issue to an already tight schedule is gonna cause delays, and it was good of Brian to take the hit for that one. But truth is they could have gotten someone else to finish Secret or New Avengers and if I insisted on it, that probably would have happened. But I didn't, so part of that blame is mine.
I'm very proud of the first two isues of Secret and working on New Avengers is a ridiculous amount of fun. So call me greedy creatively but I wanted to finish these projects. I'll draw my brains out and do the best work I can do and for those of you who want to stick around and check them out, I hope you enjoy them! For the rest of you, I'm sure there are other comics out there that can tickle your fancy.

Steve seems like a really nice guy... He does seem like the kind of guy that can just shrug this sort of thing off, regardless of the legions of fans who are unquestionable miffed at the news. It seems that Avengers are top priority at this point, which is sort of funny, because when I got into comics, they weren't that big of a deal standing next to the X-Titles.

Goodwill said:
Steve seems like a really nice guy... He does seem like the kind of guy that can just shrug this sort of thing off, regardless of the legions of fans who are unquestionable miffed at the news. It seems that Avengers are top priority at this point, which is sort of funny, because when I got into comics, they weren't that big of a deal standing next to the X-Titles.

One of the better revamps out there - it went from average to the best selling comic out.

Goodwill said:
Steve seems like a really nice guy...
He's diplomatic certainly. Basically he says "There's a bit of blame to go around. Some of its mine. You don't like it, piss off."

I think that's the attitude that someone in his position needs, really. I would be annoyed with all of the fan down my throat about my job...

Marvel Comics Publisher Dan Buckley has issued the following statement with respect to artist Steve McNiven's work on New Avengers and delays to Ultimate Secret #3 (APR051875D, $2.99):

"The upcoming Sentry story arc in New Avengers [#7-MAR051905D, $2.25, Final Order Cut-off Date 05/26/05; #8-APR051897D, $2.50, Final Order Cut-off Date 06/16/05; #9-MAY051775D, $2.50, Final Order Cut-off Date 07/07/05] has been increased to include a fourth issue (#10). Steve McNiven was dedicated to completing both the New Avengers arc as well as the Ultimate Secret limited series; we had to make the decision to put his work on Ultimate Secret on hold for a few weeks in order to get the New Avengers storyline complete. Rest assured that Ultimate Secret will continue in a few short months. We did this to insure the quality of both books. Thanks to retailers for their continued support of these and other Marvel titles. They're both well worth the wait."

So, does this mean that the alleged rumor that Millar was having Ellis rewrite the script so he could squeeze somethings in Ultimate Fantastic Four is false?

Latest posts

Back