Ultimate Secret #3 (Spoilers)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Well picked this up earlier, and I have to say I'm not at all impressed. I was so looking forward to this issue after the first two, but there was a lot lacking...or more appropriately, stuff there that shouldn't have been. Most notably, the extremely light-hearted attitude of the Ultimates and UFF throughout the issue, even with the threat of Gah Lak Tus made clear. They all act as if its no big deal. Personally much more of a sense of impending doom should have been felt throughout the entire issue, but instead everyone is cracking jokes and hanging around. Second thing I didn't like was how Ellis wrote Thor...he made him seem like a simple-minded barbarian who's biggest concern was getting beer. This makes a bit of sense in regards to Johnny and Ben (after all they were making a still in the last issue from Reed's spare parts), but while Thor does seem to enjoy a brew at the end of the day, he's a much more complex and intelligent character than Ellis wrote him in this issue. Third, just another continuity mistake. As it clearly states on the first page of the issue, this takes place BEFORE Ultimates 2, and with Thor still an active member of the team thats also confirms this. Yet Natasha mentions that Tony is her fiance, even though he didn't propose until Ultimates 2 #4. Nothing major, but still the editors are slacking. Again, simply inserting "boyfriend" instead of "fiance" would have avoided this.

Anyway, I give this one a 2 out of 5. I'm hoping the last issue of the arc impresses me as much as the second one did, otherwise this arc might wind up being another stinker.

And you said this was shaping up to be a good issue... You disappoint me. Should I download it or wait for the trade?

I think they aren't taking this seriously because "Hey, we kicked the crap out of the Chitauri, why should this be any different!". We'll get that impending sense of doom starting next issue. And I'm sure Extinction will have that overwhelming sense of dread associated with it as well.

DIrishB said:
Second thing I didn't like was how Ellis wrote Thor...he made him seem like a simple-minded barbarian who's biggest concern was getting beer. This makes a bit of sense in regards to Johnny and Ben (after all they were making a still in the last issue from Reed's spare parts), but while Thor does seem to enjoy a brew at the end of the day, he's a much more complex and intelligent character than Ellis wrote him in this issue.
So apparently there wasn't much more to him in this issue than what we saw in the preview? :? I liked the artwork (and now have some nice new Thor pictures to add to my screensaver collection), but hoped there'd be more character development than I saw in those pages.

It's always of interest to see how other writers portray Thor outside of The Ultimates; most of them seem to view him as just an updated version of the genuine Norse god, and nothing alluding to the alternative explanation of him being delusional is ever shown or mentioned. Of course, mostly he just gets a walk-on part and a few lines of dialogue (not to mention showing up on the cover of at least one issue in which he never even appeared in USM :roll: ). I wonder if other authors are hesitant to tackle the character in depth because Thor just seems to be Millar's creation, or they're waiting to see where Millar takes him in Ultimates 2.

Sorry, veered off topic. :oops: Carry on....

ProjectX2 said:
And you said this was shaping up to be a good issue... You disappoint me. Should I download it or wait for the trade?

I was hoping it would expand on the characters and story more than the preview...apparently not.

Lynx said:
I think they aren't taking this seriously because "Hey, we kicked the crap out of the Chitauri, why should this be any different!". We'll get that impending sense of doom starting next issue. And I'm sure Extinction will have that overwhelming sense of dread associated with it as well.

Considering they assume Gah Lak Tus is responsible for the extinction of almost all like in the known universe, thats a bit more ominous than the Chitauri.

Seldes Katne said:
So apparently there wasn't much more to him in this issue than what we saw in the preview? I liked the artwork (and now have some nice new Thor pictures to add to my screensaver collection), but hoped there'd be more character development than I saw in those pages.

Almost more a case of character reversion over development. Thor has never been written so simplistically. He's now definitly Tony's drinking buddy it seems.

DIrishB said:
Almost more a case of character reversion over development. Thor has never been written so simplistically. He's now definitly Tony's drinking buddy it seems.
Yeah, because Stark so needs encouragement in that area. :roll:

Oh, well, the trade's due out later this year. Guess I'll keep waiting.

Seldes Katne said:
Yeah, because Stark so needs encouragement in that area. :roll:

Oh, well, the trade's due out later this year. Guess I'll keep waiting.

yeah, hopefully its just a low point in the overall mini, as I enjoyed the first issue and the second even more. Maybe its just a mid-arc slump or something. I hope anyway.

DIrishB said:
Considering they assume Gah Lak Tus is responsible for the extinction of almost all like in the known universe, thats a bit more ominous than the Chitauri.

Yeah, but the Chitauri were responsible for major heinous acts themselves. Maybe the Ultimates just don't see it as much of a difference.

Lynx said:
Yeah, but the Chitauri were responsible for major heinous acts themselves. Maybe the Ultimates just don't see it as much of a difference.

Sure, heinous acts, but nothing like devastation and extinction on a galactic scale. Gah Lak Tus is in a totally different ballpark, and at this point the Ultimates know that. They're just not acting like it. Crap, they may as well be teaming up to take down Ultimate Shocker.

Ellis is probably just keeping the mood light only to drop it at the cliffhanger. 15 straight issues of doom and gloom isn't gonna feel right. Ellis' writing credentials are top hole, I trust that he knows what he's doing.

I would say that the reason the Ultimates faired so well against the Skrull is that the Skrull Empire was crumbling when they retreated from earth. I think that it's stupid for them to have any confidence in their ability to defeat Gah Lak Tus. I am going to be pissed if they have Gah Lak Tus arrive at earth incredibly weakened.

Guijllons said:
Ellis is probably just keeping the mood light only to drop it at the cliffhanger. 15 straight issues of doom and gloom isn't gonna feel right. Ellis' writing credentials are top hole, I trust that he knows what he's doing.

It still feels out of place. I mean Nightmare was all doom and gloom as you say, Secret lightened the mood substantially with Captain Mar-Vell's snarky attitude, but this issue took it a step further, and in my opinion a step too far. I agree I think the next issue, as well as Extinction as a whole, will damper this mood, but it still seems strange given what they already know. Almost careless on the characters' parts.

DIrishB said:
It still feels out of place. I mean Nightmare was all doom and gloom as you say, Secret lightened the mood substantially with Captain Mar-Vell's snarky attitude, but this issue took it a step further, and in my opinion a step too far. I agree I think the next issue, as well as Extinction as a whole, will damper this mood, but it still seems strange given what they already know. Almost careless on the characters' parts.

Who exactly was goofing around this issue? If it was just Thor, Tony, Ben and Johnny, I can understand it. They're all light-hearted characters (Usually, anyways). Even Reed and Sue in the Ultimate U are more light-hearted, too. Sometimes, bad situations bring out the best in people. Why be doom and gloom when you can try to make the best of the situation? Once Galactus arrives there'll be enough panic and tragedy to go around.

Uhhh, was that foreshadowing for events in Ultimates #7, that little scene between Hawkeye and the Widow?

Hawkeye (to the BW): "I'll be dead at your feet and you'll be out of bullets..."

Yeah, okay, that's a little out of context, but it was kinda... creepy.

Lynx said:
Who exactly was goofing around this issue? If it was just Thor, Tony, Ben and Johnny, I can understand it. They're all light-hearted characters (Usually, anyways). Even Reed and Sue in the Ultimate U are more light-hearted, too. Sometimes, bad situations bring out the best in people. Why be doom and gloom when you can try to make the best of the situation? Once Galactus arrives there'll be enough panic and tragedy to go around.

They were ALL messing around and not taking it seriously, lets see:

Reed
Sue
Ben
Johnny
Tony
Thor
Hawkeye (not as much as everyone else though)
Black Widow (ditto)
Captain Marvel (most of all)
Nick Fury
Carol Danvers

...I think only the Killforms were the only character(s) not to crack a joke. Its not about BEING something, its about a natural reaction, and I don't care if you're the biggest badass mofo in the world, no one is going to be acting lightheartedly and good-natured with Armageddon right around the corner. This issue cheapened the threat of Gah Lak Tus in my opinion. Issue #4 needs to make him one scary bastard in any info we recieve about him to redeem for this issue.

Rhyo said:
Uhhh, was that foreshadowing for events in Ultimates #7, that little scene between Hawkeye and the Widow?

Hawkeye (to the BW): "I'll be dead at your feet and you'll be out of bullets..."

Yeah, okay, that's a little out of context, but it was kinda... creepy.

Its possible, but not sure if Ellis knows much of whats actually happened to Hawkeye in Ultimates 2, any more than the rest of us do anyway. I'm sure he's read the issues released, but not sure about Millar's remaining storyline, as this story really doesn't require him knowing its outcome.

DIrishB said:
They were ALL messing around and not taking it seriously, lets see:

Reed
Sue
Ben
Johnny
Tony
Thor
Hawkeye (not as much as everyone else though)
Black Widow (ditto)
Captain Marvel (most of all)
Nick Fury
Carol Danvers

...I think only the Killforms were the only character(s) not to crack a joke. Its not about BEING something, its about a natural reaction, and I don't care if you're the biggest badass mofo in the world, no one is going to be acting lightheartedly and good-natured with Armageddon right around the corner. This issue cheapened the threat of Gah Lak Tus in my opinion. Issue #4 needs to make him one scary bastard in any info we recieve about him to redeem for this issue.

Hmmmmm, yeah, some of those seem out of character. I dunno, I still don't think they realize how much of a threat Galactus is. Something you see on paper is a lot less scary then seeing it with your own eyes. I'm sure they'll be peeing themselves next issue.

Is it me, or is the Ultimate Universe in somewhat of a lull? We have the crap UIM series, The Ultimates is dragging out the Traitor plot and is constantly late (Weren't we promised it wouldn't be?), USM is good for the moment, but plans to introduce some characters that, frankly, don't need to be introduced into USM, UXM is good, but I think Magnetic North is just a set up arc for Singer so he could use Magneto,and according to you Irish, US isn't living up to the hype. That leaves. . .UFF, which is good. What's going on!? :shock:

Lynx said:
Hmmmmm, yeah, some of those seem out of character. I dunno, I still don't think they realize how much of a threat Galactus is. Something you see on paper is a lot less scary then seeing it with your own eyes. I'm sure they'll be peeing themselves next issue.

Is it me, or is the Ultimate Universe in somewhat of a lull? We have the crap UIM series, The Ultimates is dragging out the Traitor plot and is constantly late (Weren't we promised it wouldn't be?), USM is good for the moment, but plans to introduce some characters that, frankly, don't need to be introduced into USM, UXM is good, but I think Magnetic North is just a set up arc for Singer so he could use Magneto,and according to you Irish, US isn't living up to the hype. That leaves. . .UFF, which is good. What's going on!? :shock:

Honestly, when Vaughan leaves UXM in a couple months, I honestly fear for the Ultimate universe as a whole.

Well, who in this crowd actually has a good idea of what they are going up against (ie: was here for Ultimate Nightmare)? Cap, who doesn't say much of anything, Widow, who we only see in a "down-time" moment with a trusted friend/comrade, Fury, who has proved in the past that what he says or how he acts is not always a good clue for what he's really thinking and Captain Marvel (screw the alternate spelling AND the alternate spelling version of Galactus), but he's an alien who has pretty much prepared for this (or something similar) a long time.

This issue is a quick down-time look at the assembled heroes, who seem to me to be mostly just pleased to be in the company of other people more-or-less like they are.

Pretty sure next issue will be a slap across the face to the lighter-hearted mood. I enjoyed this one and I enjoyed the banter, and I'd pretty much completely forgotten what happened ealier anyway, what with the delays...

Latest posts

Back