Ultimate Spider-Man #100 Discussion (SPOILERS!)

Lynx

First off, I'd like to say that this issue is probably one of the best (If not THE best) Ultimate Spider-Man issue I have ever read.

Richard begins to explain what happened. Basically, when he found out he was going to start turning the Venom Project into a weapon, he started to have doubts.

First, Richard is the REAL Richard Parker. What happened is he decided not to get on the plane. Mary basically said that she would go over his head and sign the documents to turn over the Venom Project to Trask since he was being indesicive. Mary and the Brocks get on the plane. . .and the plane crashes.

During all of this, "Kaine" basically is about to give MJ powers. Then, all of a sudden, "Tarantula" comes out and beats the snot out of Kaine, telling him to leave MJ alone and that "this isn't why were created!" Anyways, Kaine wins the struggle and knocks Tarantula out.

Switch to Richard is watching young Peter with Ben and May and Richard is approached by the CIA. The CIA want Richard to work for them, continuing his bio work for both medicinal benefits AND weapons. They also tell him that Trask likely blew up the plane jsut to kill Richard. And the Conspiracy is revealed. . .they want him so they can keep an eye on Nick Fury and shut him down if he becomes too powerful. Richard eventually reveals himself to May. . .who basically hates him and tells him to never come close to her or Peter again.

Richard winds up going to reveal himself to Peter anyway, but the CIA guy stops him, saying that if he (Peter) knows Richard was alive, then Fury would know and it would completly destroy all of their secrecy.

So, Richard works for the CIA secretly and finds out some odd years later that Peter is Spider-Man and that he had an encounter with the Venom Suit. Peter keeps constantly asking why Gwen is still alive (Which Richard admits to being responsible for). We find out that Richard confiscated all of Connor's work on Carnage, and Peter starts yelling at him. Right then. . .Nick Fury shows up with an army of Spider-Slayers. Peter says he'll talk to him, but Richard says that all Fury wants is a fight. Right then. . .Gwen transforms into Carnage (Suprise!) and jumps out to fight Fury and the Spider-Slayers.

Then, May has a heart attack.

And finally, we switch back to Kaine and MJ. MJ is just opening her eyes when Kaine says to MJ that she has transforms and can now defend herself.

Comments? Holy crap, this was intense. I absolutley loved everything about it. . .except the last page. If MJ winds up with powers. . .they better be freakin' temporary. But the revelations with Richard were completely mind-blowing. I cannot wait until I read the rest of this arc.

5/5

Last edited:
Umm...haven't read it yet...but...

Why is my man Nick a villain all the sudden?

Gwen=Carnage. I think everyone here guessed that when Marvel announced her return.

MJ with powers. A lot of us called that, and then Marvel pretty much told us that in solilitions. I still don't like it.

If you go outside right now, and stand on a tall hill, with the right kind of ears, you can hear this book going down the toliet.

Um, a little biased you seem, yes?

Nick has been portrayed as a villian in USM for quite some time now, ever since he first yelled at Peter way back when he first showed up. So this whole, 'Why is Nick a villain in this title' is pretty stupid comment to make.

Umm...haven't read it yet...but...

Why is my man Nick a villain all the sudden?

Gwen=Carnage. I think everyone here guessed that when Marvel announced her return.

MJ with powers. A lot of us called that, and then Marvel pretty much told us that in solilitions. I still don't like it.

If you go outside right now, and stand on a tall hill, with the right kind of ears, you can hear this book going down the toliet.

I have no problem with Gwen being Carnage. I jsut want to know how Richard did it.

MJ's powers won't be permenant. It's called "Spider-Man" not "Spider-Man and Spider-Girl".

And Fury has always been on the edge of being a villian, in both Spider-Man and the Ultimates. So it's not new.

I actually think this story is the saving grace for the book. So long as Bendis can hold on and wrap it up decently well, this could be a new beginning.

Um, a little biased you seem, yes?

Nick has been portrayed as a villian in USM for quite some time now, ever since he first yelled at Peter way back when he first showed up. So this whole, 'Why is Nick a villain in this title' is pretty stupid comment to make.

I always saw it more of...Peter not taking well to authority. Not Nick being a villain. I see Nick as a hero in every other Ultimate title.

I never would have thought Pete was half justified in his hatred. In fact I hate it when Peter yells at Nick. He's just doing his job.

I always saw it more of...Peter not taking well to authority. Not Nick being a villain. I see Nick as a hero in every other Ultimate title.

I never would have thought Pete was half justified in his hatred. In fact I hate it when Peter yells at Nick. He's just doing his job.

You mean him pretty much policing the entire world, abusing authority in the Ultimates, talking down to Xavier, having Wolverine kill people, arresting Captain America and Thor under false pretenses all don't qualify him as a villian? He's the best type of villian. He's doing what he thinks is right when he's dead wrong.

So, we know now that the CIA is opposed to SHIELD?

That would be interesting.

Good point Taskmaster, didn;t even think of that angle.

I wonder how many American groups are against SHIELD

And yes Fool'sfolly, Fury is being portrayed as a villian in lots of books, but in the other ones, its a tad harder to see.

Who ever said Fury was a villian? Could still be Richards, remember he broke international law in making clones, trying to enhance Spider power in them and what Reed and Sue said about the attachments to Scorpion?. Fury could have known Richard was behind it and new this and that he's making his move. Possible.

Also I would like it if Gwen isnt a clone, maybe Richard used a version of the Carnage symbiote to revive her because the way she died makes it possible, isnt hard for the CIA to get the body,I'd prefer that over just a clone

I'm still trying to think up ways to save Gwen as a character.

Perhaps Richard managed to bond Carnage with her, (although that still leaves his motives pretty ambiguous - he could pull the I-Did-It-To-Save-Her-Life Card, but in all honesty I think he did just to see what would happen.) making it into a true symbiote instead of some strange nameless, (to them anyway,) parasite.

I have a million theories at this point, but all are simply theories. The only thing I'm riding on is Bendis recently stating that he'd like to see Gwen stick around for a while.

-Matt

Random makes a good point.

I'm still not sold on Fury being a villain.

If SHIELD and Fury are villains, that makes Captain America and the Ultimates villains as well. And I find that harder to believe.

Richard Parker shouldn't have a moral high ground, he just walked into Pete's world and our world. Fury's been here from the beginning. And I cannot believe he's a villain.

Sure he butts heads with Xavier, but Xavier's not a saint either. And Fury was a supeior to Xavier. He can talk down to him.

As for policing the world, that's what America does. So...in that light Fury might be a allagory towards America the country.

It is interesting that the CIA are against SHEILD. Very interesting.

Random makes a good point.

I'm still not sold on Fury being a villain.

If SHIELD and Fury are villains, that makes Captain America and the Ultimates villains as well. And I find that harder to believe.

Richard Parker shouldn't have a moral high ground, he just walked into Pete's world and our world. Fury's been here from the beginning. And I cannot believe he's a villain.

Sure he butts heads with Xavier, but Xavier's not a saint either. And Fury was a supeior to Xavier. He can talk down to him.

As for policing the world, that's what America does. So...in that light Fury might be a allagory towards America the country.

It is interesting that the CIA are against SHEILD. Very interesting.

I've always seen Fury that way, so I can't really agree with you. He's not a villian in the sense of Magneto, but he's not a good guy. He thinks what he';s doing is right. He's sympathetic. But, he's always been set up to be a bad guy. Hell, Millar reinforced that idea heavily in Ultimates 2.

Plus, the Ultimates always fought for the good of things. Fury pretty much does things just to have a stranglehold on everything. Hell, there were Ultimate X-men issues dealing with Fury basically controlling the President.

I will say it's a bit refreashing to even have the chance in hell of Fury being a villain, I also don't like it.

But if Fury's a villain, he'll be one of the best villains in my memory. But...idk. Something doesn't sit right with me on seeing Fury as a villain.

An a$$hole yeah. But a villain? Idk.

The possiblity is nice for his character to be villain, like Xavier, does add more dimention to him. And now, thanks to you, I'm going to have watch him carefully. I never even considered Fury a villain. A little big brother and father knows best, but...

I have some issues to reread huh?

I will say it's a bit refreashing to even have the chance in hell of Fury being a villain, I also don't like it.

But if Fury's a villain, he'll be one of the best villains in my memory. But...idk. Something doesn't sit right with me on seeing Fury as a villain.

The possiblity is nice for his character to be villain, like Xavier, does add more dimention to him. And now, thanks to you, I'm going to have watch him carefully. I never even considered Fury a villain. A little big brother and father knows best, but...

I think Richard is effing with Petes mind. The Slayers are for richiard and to help Gwen.

Two Words. Richard Parker.

I wouldn't be suprised. But then. . .was Osborn working for the CIA too? That'd be nuts!

Like I said, he's not a traditional villian. He doesn't see himself as a villian and he's been so convincing, he has you fooled. You'll catch it if you reread a lot of those issues.

Actually, to be honest, Ultimate Dr. Doom reminds me A LOT of Ultimate Nick Fury. They're both very similiar.

Last edited:
Well what if Richard is lying about CIA connections? Making Fury look like a villain.

I agree he's an a%$hole, but I still can't see him as a villain. I'll far more believe Richard's a villain.

In fact, he's clearly a villain. Richard's messing with Pete's mind, using his fatherhood of Peter to tell him what's best. I mean, Richard has Carnage as an attack dog. And you know Richard's behind the clones, which in turn are behind MJ's kidnapping.

Until there's more proof, I won't admit Fury's a villain, but I will say it's a possiblity.

Latest posts

Back