Ultimate Spider-Man #103... SPOILERS!

Keehar, if I may go Off Topic for just one second, do you read Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man? If so, I'd love to hear your comments about it in its respective thread.

I do read Friendly Neighbourhood. It was rubbish until it got to the Mysterio arc. The Vulture arc was really good. Nice to see some supporting cast like Betty Brant, Flash Thompson, and Deb Whitman return to the 616 comics.

You imply that we should be happy if it turns out it isn't.

Oh, so you'd rather she stay as a Goblin then??

Last edited:
Oh, let me guess. It should never have happened in the first place.

What was Bendis thinking, doing something like that in an alternate universe?? :wink:

Your point is both red hot and freezing cold at the same time.

It never should've happened in the first place.......regardless of what universe it takes place in. And especially for the role her character plays.

If this was some alt. universe where Peter is dating Liz Allen....and he and MJ aren't even friends. If MJ is just some girl at his school in the same role as say Liz Allen or Kong is now---then it would be acceptable (albeit weird). Because she's a 3rd string character and what happens to her doesn't matter.

But because she's been his anchor in normalcy....then yes it's ok for her to be in danger every now and then----but not for her to become a goblin.

The major factor here in the reason it's a bad decision is the role she plays in the book. It's not her place for something like this to happen.

If this was a "What If" book that took place outta continuity---then ok. I could see and accept it. But it isn't. So that makes it stupid. And there is nothing Bendis can do to fix it.

If he reverses the effects---then it was a stupid cheap gimmick cliffhanger. And means it was pointless in the first place.

If he leaves it be---then he's ruined a character.

There is no middle ground here. The UU is not supposed to be different just for the sake of being different. If that was the case...why not make Aunt May die and Uncle Ben live? Or why not have Norman Osborn be a woman named Nina Osborn instead? Why not have him shoot webs outta his *** like a real spider?

It never should've happened in the first place.......regardless of what universe it takes place in. And especially for the role her character plays.

If this was some alt. universe where Peter is dating Liz Allen....and he and MJ aren't even friends. If MJ is just some girl at his school in the same role as say Liz Allen or Kong is now---then it would be acceptable (albeit weird). Because she's a 3rd string character and what happens to her doesn't matter.

But because she's been his anchor in normalcy....then yes it's ok for her to be in danger every now and then----but not for her to become a goblin.

The major factor here in the reason it's a bad decision is the role she plays in the book. It's not her place for something like this to happen.

If this was a "What If" book that took place outta continuity---then ok. I could see and accept it. But it isn't. So that makes it stupid. And there is nothing Bendis can do to fix it.

If he reverses the effects---then it was a stupid cheap gimmick cliffhanger. And means it was pointless in the first place.

If he leaves it be---then he's ruined a character.

There is no middle ground here. The UU is not supposed to be different just for the sake of being different. If that was the case...why not make Aunt May die and Uncle Ben live? Or why not have Norman Osborn be a woman named Nina Osborn instead? Why not have him shoot webs outta his *** like a real spider?

Wait, so your logic is that MJ is supposed to reflect normalcy with Peter, and therefore she is not allowed be anything more than a damsel in distress??

Wow, I'm so glad Bendis doesn't follow that logic.

Wait, so your logic is that MJ is supposed to reflect normalcy with Peter, and therefore she is not allowed be anything more than a damsel in distress??

Wow, I'm so glad Bendis doesn't follow that logic.

she doesn't have to be a damsel in distress, she just has to be a normal person who reacts to these things in the same manner that a normal person would, which helps peter stop from becoming something like .... well... the punisher

i hope bendis doesn't follow you logic where MJ can either be a goblin or a damsel in distress and nothing else

Last edited:
i hope bendis doesn't follow you logic where MJ can either be a goblin or a damsel in distress and nothing else

That's not my logic. Why can't spectacular things happen to MJ, and she gets thru it and returns to normalcy eventually??

She's associated with Spider-Man. Half of USM knows who Peter is.

which shoudn't have happened

On this I disagree.

This is where Bendis got it right.

Peter is just a kid. A lone kid against the world. He's gonna make mistakes. And being a kid means he's gonna make a lot of mistakes because he can't see past his own problems to see the big picture in some instances.

I'm totally fine with him getting his *** handed to him by DD, Elektra, or bunch of other villains because he decided to jump into the fray without a gameplan. And if in said fray he gets unmasked because of his actions---well then fine.

Peter is just a kid. A lone kid against the world. He's gonna make mistakes. And being a kid means he's gonna make a lot of mistakes because he can't see past his own problems to see the big picture in some instances.

I'm totally fine with him getting his *** handed to him by DD, Elektra, or bunch of other villains because he decided to jump into the fray without a gameplan. And if in said fray he gets unmasked because of his actions---well then fine.
I agree, I mean think of all the times in the Spider-man cartoon when he's been captured yet no one ever takes off his mask. Though I do think Bendis went a little too far with the unmasking. And Spider-man being untrained in fighting is a good thing cause it helps balance him out, you always want the villain to be stronger, more of a challenege

On this I disagree.

This is where Bendis got it right.

Word.

And why anyone would want "spectacular" things to happen to MJ just for her to return to normalcy. Why would you want these cheap shock tactics?Take the time to develop characters and relationships instead of cheap stunts.

And why anyone would want "spectacular" things to happen to MJ just for her to return to normalcy. Why would you want these cheap shock tactics?Take the time to develop characters and relationships instead of cheap stunts.

Check out #104. CHEAP!

Latest posts

Back