Ultimate Spider-Man # 74 discussion (SPOILERS)

The Captain

Banned
whoever gets their issue first feel free to spoil here and let everyone know if the issue was any good or not....also, if anyone has been following along with my speculation on this issue, let me know if i was accurate or not....i did promise we would see and know who hobgoblin is....have a nice day. :wink:

Last edited:
USM #74 Discussion (Spoilers)

Yawn... With the exception of the rooftop scene with MJ and Peter, I slept through this entire issue. The whole Peter beating up random thugs and flipping out while doing it is getting old to me. The issue left a bad aftertaste in my mouth and I just want to see the Hobgoblin and Spider-Man go at it.

thoughts of others..

Ultimate Spiderman: Really loving Ult Jean Dewitt, I hope she doesnt get killed anytime soon. Definitely the best issue in a while.

Ultimate Spiderman: Wow, this issue was the best in a long long time. Really brought my blood to a boil and Peters run in with the cops was perfect timing storywise. Loved it.

action action action.....last issue left me unfilled...this issue has me wanting more, issue 75....yes, hobgoblin will be in it....but will it be .....ill save that for the ult spidey 75 spec thread sometime next week! :wink:

The issue was average at best. Nothing really happened IMO. MJ and Peter have fight (or whatever you want to call it). Harry's doing some manipulating. SM sends thug into hospital and feels bad about it. Then gets call at end.

That's it.

I'm not gonna complain because I know the next issue will be badass. Too bad I gotta wait a month.

Captain Afro-America!!!!!!

IcyFlames said:
The issue was average at best. Nothing really happened IMO. MJ and Peter have fight (or whatever you want to call it). Harry's doing some manipulating. SM sends thug into hospital and feels bad about it. Then gets call at end.

That's it.

I'm not gonna complain because I know the next issue will be badass. Too bad I gotta wait a month.

nah, not a month...more like 2 weeks and some change (april 6th) april is another 2 issue month :wink: (sweet christmas!!!)

Correction: Too bad next issue doesn't come out tomorrow.

That is good news, Cap. Thanks.

Huh - lots of people not too impressed with this issue. I thought it was great. If you can excuse the bore-fest that was issue 73 (one of the worst-placed flashback issues ever), this is a great arc and it's nice to see USM back to being exciting. I was a little concerned about the book getting back into the nice flow that was established in #71 after #73, but this did nicely.

The creepiest I ever saw Norman was in Ultimate Six, after they had captured Peter. And Harry in this issue was the same kind of creepy - I don't have a clue what is going on in his head right now. Peter is absolutely freaked to the point where he is acting irrationally, and it's killing his relationship with MJ. Great writing.

Can't wait to see this continued next issue.

So is there anyone who still thinks Harry WON'T be the Hobgoblin? Granted, its still possible it could end up being Shaw, but Harry's got all the reasons and misplaced anger. Besides, its sort of a Legacy thing, Father was the original Goblin, son becomes the Hobgoblin.

Besides Harry's increasingly weird behavior and him calling Pete out (on the phone no less). Though, again, its possible Shaw is the monster and Harry's pulling the strings from behind the scenes, but I'm more than 100% positive Hobgoblin=Harry. (Now that I've said that watch it turn out to be Shaw.) By the way, the big "secret" from #1 still hasn't been revealed yet (far as I can tell).

I'm actually liking this arc now. But the key thing to keep in mind is that comics (especially Bendis' work in USM) are serialized stories now, not individual issues. With Bendis I come to the plate expecting a fragment of a story not a self-contained tale in itself. That's his style, for this book anyways.

Great character issue. Harry's definitely into the creepy territory... though methinks he won't be injecting himself with any chemicals just yet. Just a feeling, he's been a little too detached for that. Everyone is acting how they should. As to the Peter losing control... uh that happened once... about half the series ago... in a totally different scenario... and he didn't confess to anyone... So why so angry?

I also happen to like Peter taking out street crime... it's mostly what he does. Ultimate titles are supposed to be more true to reality and as such Peter would be spending most of his time in tights stopping petty crime, not duking it out with super-criminals (if only because the Ultimate universe hasn't had time to fill the streets with clowns in tights - though only a tiny few of his foes have been, most of his problems have been with super-soldier rejects - can't be a huge number of those). Furthermore this is teenage Spidey, he's still learning and as such the scope of his abilities is rather limited. Finally too much weirdness in so short a time (there's been darn near enough as it is) is really gonna screw the poor boy up well beyond his current hyper-tension.

Word to ya motha

Blacksword said:
I also happen to like Peter taking out street crime... it's mostly what he does. Ultimate titles are supposed to be more true to reality and as such Peter would be spending most of his time in tights stopping petty crime, not duking it out with super-criminals (if only because the Ultimate universe hasn't had time to fill the streets with clowns in tights - though only a tiny few of his foes have been, most of his problems have been with super-soldier rejects - can't be a huge number of those). Furthermore this is teenage Spidey, he's still learning and as such the scope of his abilities is rather limited. Finally too much weirdness in so short a time (there's been darn near enough as it is) is really gonna screw the poor boy up well beyond his current hyper-tension.

I feel you brotha, spidey fighting in the hood is always phat, word up son...im loving dat ish right now!!! 8)

I don't know if this issue was any good.

I should'nt have read it after reading Ultimates 2 #4.

The Captain said:
Unless i am mistaken, the spoiler was revealed already in part 1 with the relationship....however if i am incorrect about that being the spoiler, me thinks #75 should have it...

Bendis specifically said that was not the loose end. Is that what you meant instead of spoiler?

Latest posts

Back