Ultimate Spider-Man # 75 Thoughts (spoilers)

My thoughts on this issue, I think this Hobgoblin arc is great, but a little draggy. I still hate the fact that Hobby would only officially appear next issue.

Like most of you guys said, I believe Shaw is a figment of Harry's imagination, but that doesn't mean the Shaw we saw in the earlier arcs wasn't real. We'll see, maybe this will be resolved in the last issues. I believe Bendis had this arc in mind when he made GG's origin.

The twist may be "predictable", but didn't you guys kept guessing until now?:D Also I loved the loose end, I don't think anyone was able to guess it in these boards. I like the fact that the loose end would seem so blatantly obvious to the writer's point of view, but something that the reader wouldn't think about even if it's something right in plain view.

As for the cellar door thing, I don't think it exists. The cellar door scene is a figment of Harry's imagination, since it's a strange replica of the Oscorp lab. It's seems to symbolize the hidden fact unknown to Spidey and even to Harry through hypnosis, that he was part of the accident and therefore was affected by it. It is only through opening the "cellar door" will Harry's powers be activated. It doesn't exist. The same way Shaw claims that he doesn't exist, he says the exact same thing about the "cellar door". I bet that Harry was asleep (or at least his Harry persona was sleeping) in his condo the whole time.

Of course the only thing that was left unresolved is there someone behind the scenes manipulating Harry or did Dr. Warren implant a psychological program in Harry that would trigger once Harry returns to his "normal life" in Midtown so he can deal with Spider-Man?

So the loose thread was resolved in this issue? For those people who missed out (namely me!!) could you please enlighten us in what it was, i don't think i have seen or heard it!
Thanks

I just read this issue today. On the drive home i thought up one hell of a theory. It explains Shaw, Harry, Hobgoblin, Oscorp, Loose End.....read!

Ok first remember when Norman Osborn FIRST figured out about Peter Parker gaining Spider powers and was wanting to do experiments on himself. He went to the board and said, "If the spider venom gave Parker the enhanced strengths of a spider -- then treating the Oz with my own DNA and injecting it mainline will what? It will give me the enhanced strengths....of me!"
Norman then did the experiment, blew the place up and became the green goblin, with the enhanced strengths of himself and also, talking to himself (as seen in the legacy arc).

Thats the facts, now consider this....

Consider Shaw was there when the explosion happened (very likely since he keeps telling Harry "You were there!") Consider when the explosion happened...Shaw and Harry were somehow....fused together. Giving Harry the enhanced strengths of Shaw and also, Harry keeps on talking to Shaw just like Norman talked to himself.

What ya think?

Don't see how this means anything other than adding to stuff that sounds far too feasible for the Ultimate Universe for, I'd imagine, anyone's tastes.

what i mean is, like the spider was the channel that the oz travelled through to give Peter his powers, maybe Shaws the channel through which gave Harry his powers. I dunno, was just a thought. Seemed like a good one at the time...but maybe it is pretty dumb

Now, that's a very interesting idea, however, I don't remember Shaw ever being there... If Bendis can find a way to have him in there, I'd really like to see that played out. Good thoughts, Nur. ;)

:D thanks goody. I only say Shaw was around because he was always around Norman with his other tests. The blood tests and stuff. Why wouldnt he be there? Also Shaws supposed to be Osborns loyal henchman, but since the accident, hes just dissapeared

Yeah but in the latest issue, Shaw talks about how Osborn saved his life or something. He seemed pretty loyal to me

TheManWithoutFear said:
We don't know if this is even the real Shaw talking.

Shaw had to be real at same point...i totally disagree that he was a figment of harrys imagine the entire time around..Granted last issue that could have been the case, but none of you guys can say that he wasnt real in the first issue...guy is on the phone with norman trying to kill pete, spider sense goes off and everything.....Pete was able to see him then although he cant now...so something had to happen to shaw at some point.

I still think he is controlling the guy, but thats just my opinion

The Captain said:
Shaw had to be real at same point...i totally disagree that he was a figment of harrys imagine the entire time around..Granted last issue that could have been the case, but none of you guys can say that he wasnt real in the first issue...guy is on the phone with norman trying to kill pete, spider sense goes off and everything.....Pete was able to see him then although he cant now...so something had to happen to shaw at some point.

I still think he is controlling the guy, but thats just my opinion

I'm with you on this one, however, I think MwoF has covered all of the bases concerning Shaw. I think that he's only a figment of Harry's imagination when Harry skips out on school and he serves as Harry's conscience so that he can get information out of Harry. I don't think a smart person like Shaw would really peg Spider-Man as the person that knew more about his father's whereabouts than Fury.

Goodwill said:
I'm with you on this one, however, I think MwoF has covered all of the bases concerning Shaw. I think that he's only a figment of Harry's imagination when Harry skips out on school and he serves as Harry's conscience so that he can get information out of Harry. I don't think a smart person like Shaw would really peg Spider-Man as the person that knew more about his father's whereabouts than Fury.

reasonable, but harry already knew he couldnt get info out of fury about his fathers whereabouts....harry believed his dad was a bad man who was alive and in custody until shaw put it in his mind that spidey killed him....shaw has some kind of connection to SHIELD....and he went after pete to try to sidetrack any SHIELD involvement... Some is probably flashback, but i know that some is tampering on Shaws part...

cmdrjanjalani said:
The twist may be "predictable", but didn't you guys kept guessing until now?:D Also I loved the loose end, I don't think anyone was able to guess it in these boards. I like the fact that the loose end would seem so blatantly obvious to the writer's point of view, but something that the reader wouldn't think about even if it's something right in plain view.

Dude, I totally called it.

;)

The only reason some people had trouble identifying the "loose end" that was revealed was because Bendis stated it was a loose-end from the first issue, not the first arc. However, the explosion at Oscorp which gave Norman, Ock, and Harry their powers didn't happen until the end of issue #3. However, it appears Bendis just messed up and should have said first arc, not first issue. If this had been the case I'm sure someone else would have hit on it long before I came up with my theory.

The only reason some people had trouble identifying the "loose end" that was revealed was because Bendis stated it was a loose-end from the first issue, not the first arc. However, the explosion at Oscorp which gave Norman, Ock, and Harry their powers didn't happen until the end of issue #3. However, it appears Bendis just messed up and should have said first arc, not first issue. If this had been the case I'm sure someone else would have hit on it long before I came up with my theory.

I always thought that "where the hell did Shaw go after issue one?" was the loose end. Anyway, i just read # 73-75, and beleive me the storyline isn't as bad as some people have metnioned. The only thing i don't really like if the lack of humor or anything joyful, this storyline is the type of storyline where you wonder what characters will commit suicide by the year's end. A tad depressing. I wouldn't want this to be anyone's first foray into the ultimate Universe.

My thoughts on Harry: i'm very curious as to why this kid is still breathing, something is holding him back past the whole "re-education" part of the story. The thing was Shaw began to sound a hell of a lot like Nick Fury in his speech but he tended to say things that were trying to convince Harry that Fury is an awful man.This is very interesting, what if Shaw is Nick Fury! [i'm sorry if someone hasn't already mentioned this theory]. It would definately tie up some loose ends. Maybe Fury has learned through Osborn of Harry's powers and Fury wants to get Harry before anyone else does. Of course,maybe i'm just really tired.

Thats a good theroy about shaw being fury, dunno if it could be, but it is a really good idea.
I like that better than harry being insane, and sees dead people or whatever

Shihad said:
Thats a good theroy about shaw being fury, dunno if it could be, but it is a really good idea.
I like that better than harry being insane, and sees dead people or whatever

All right I still refuse to believe that Fury is a bad guy. Or that he'd put Harry in harms way. But runnin' with this theory... since the solicitations say that Fury's plans for Peter will be revealed... maybe this is all just the Ultimate test for Peter. He's useing Harry to see what Peter would do in the situation, if Peter would tell Harry where his dad is, and if Peter would join forces with his best friend instead of doing the right thing.

EDIT: realizing that I don't like the idea myself makes me feel good. Shaw was implanted by Norman, Fury's the good guy, Peter is and always will be a whiny *****.

Latest posts

Back