Ultimate Spider-Man #76 discussion (Spoilers)

Nick MB said:
If I have a complaint, it's the formula of "Villain appears, is out of control monster, comes back in a second arc appearance as more refined and deadly monster. (Green Goblin, Sandman... I'm hoping that the next Venom arc will have some twist on it.)

Of course that's the way it should work out. These villains get their powers and have no control of themselves so naturally they're monsters. I would've liked to have seen Norman in control the entire time.

Nick MB said:
Are we saying that the scene at the end of the first part of Legacy wasn't just as (if not more) chilling than anything that bog standard Norman ever managed?

Bendis is able to get decent stories out of it, but I still prefer the insane-guy-behind-a-mask version.

Frankly, I liked the ending of the Spider-man vs Harry issue. I hope he does kill him, and all the other Osborns and Goblins. I'm so sick of seeing these lame villains endlessly cycled through arcs. While he's at it, Spidey should off the Joker, too.

Parthuman said:
Frankly, I liked the ending of the Spider-man vs Harry issue. I hope he does kill him, and all the other Osborns and Goblins. I'm so sick of seeing these lame villains endlessly cycled through arcs. While he's at it, Spidey should off the Joker, too.

No way. Obviously now that Norman has his head on straight he's got something big planned. Something so big that none of us even see it coming we're all worried about future arcs and who is going to appear but what we don't see is that Spider-Man archenemy is still alive and when he comes back he's goin to wreak all hell on the title.

Nick MB said:
Not yet read Hobgoblin, and probably won't for a while as am waiting for the Hardcover. (Roll on Volume Seven, 2006!)

If I have a complaint, it's the formula of "Villain appears, is out of control monster, comes back in a second arc appearance as more refined and deadly monster. (Green Goblin, Sandman... I'm hoping that the next Venom arc will have some twist on it.)
Good man, good man. And I agree about the formulaic plotlines to USM, but it's still pretty good. We just need a little varity, not so much of the 6 issue lineups, more bits structured like the Gheldoff arc. Diffrent things each issue.

As for todays installment, I'm going to say I'm yet again disapointed in the content. Each USM seems likehalf an issue, and the school scene ruined the flow of the fight scene. Maybe if that bit had been moved to the back. Still disapointed that Harry is Hobby, and I bet you that Fury knew that he had Oz in his system. Remember in Ultimate 6 they said that SHIELD satalites can pick up powered up metas, and I know they've got Goblin readings programed in.

"#@$* the Osbornes"

That's all I needed to hear him think

when i get this 2morrow i'll add in my 2 cents, but from what i've read i should enjoy the 'choas' :twisted:

Jesus Tap-dancing Christ.

This issue should've been no later than the 3rd part of this story arc. At this point, the flashbacks might have worked better and I would've cared.

As it is, it's taken 4 issues before we can have a remarkably conventional fight.

I'm dropping USM after this arc. I've had enough of this nonsense. I'll only pick 'em up if they're good. Bendis has exhausted my empathy for these characters to a point where I almost hope they die in the next issue so I can move on.

I disagree with Green Goblin being the worst ultimzation. Carnage was the worst. A half-clone of Peter's DAD, half-cancer suit? WTF was that? GG was a monster in the first arc. But in Legacy and Ultimate Six, he pretty much was in control, he was just a lunatic. Hobgoblin. . .I'm still unsure about. I hate Bendis for dragging these damn issues out. This arc should have been 4 issues tops. I pray that the whole "ALL ACTION Warriors arc" really IS all action after the snooze fest that were the first four issues of Hobgoblin.

Lynx said:
I disagree with Green Goblin being the worst ultimzation. Carnage was the worst. A half-clone of Peter's DAD, half-cancer suit? WTF was that?

"Realistic".

*sigh*

ugh............................. I want to drop this now... but I wanna get to 100 first...

And Green Goblin NOW, as a crazy, voices in my head lunatic, is pretty sweet.

And Joker should not die.

Bass said:
"Realistic".

*sigh*

It would have been more realistic to have done Carnage later as an "improved-but-not-that-improved" Venom suit. We honestly did NOT need Carnage that early, especially by combining it with the Clone Saga. The whole clone story should have been left out of the Ultimate U entirely. The Venom suit was realistic. Carnage was a way for Bendis to do do two stories that he knew people wanted, but hated personally. Back on topic.

I at least wanted Hobby to have a glider. . .I mean, C'MON! Make him less crazy then his dad, but make him out for revenge (So he has a motive). I wanted him more in control the GG. This way he's not a carbon copy of GG with orange instead of green skin.

Last edited:
From the July previews...
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN VOL. 13: HOBGOBLIN TPB
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Pencils & Cover by MARK BAGLEY
It's the terrifying debut of the Ultimate Hobgoblin as Harry Osborn returns to Midtown High harboring a dark secret that will affect the lives of all those around him – especially his best friend, Peter Parker. And where does Harry's father – Norman Osborn, a.k.a. the Green Goblin – fit into all this?
Collects ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #72-78.
168 PGS./All Ages …$15.99
ISBN: 0-7851-1647-8
On-Sale 7/27/05

I'm wondering more about that mention. Is Norman playing a bigger hand in this arc than is readily apparent right now? This could be another major development made in #77, along with Fury's future plans for Spider-Man/Pete...whether thats with or without the Ultimates remains to be seen. Of course, it could just be alluding to Norman's hypnotherapic hack-job on Harry's mind seein back in Legacy. I'm looking forward to seeing Raxton in #78, and the Warriors arc starting in #79 looks really interesting.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Yes! I told you guys Norman is behind all of this. It's really the only thing I'm looking forward to in this arc. See what Norman's masterplan is.
Of course he's behind this. He treated harry with Oz, and had the psycological triggers inplanted into him that have gotten us this far.

Infact I bet that Harrys gone crazy here because of them. What if the Celler Door triggers set hi on the rampage, not being transformed. The final part of them is to have hi croak out "Kill me". I mean what's the best way to get revenge on the overly moral person who defeated you, in Norman's mind? Have him kill his best friend, and get rid of your useless son all at once.

Baxter said:
I mean what's the best way to get revenge on the overly moral person who defeated you, in Norman's mind? Have him kill his best friend, and get rid of your useless son all at once.

That would be the only thing that could save this arc.

I can deffinatly see Harry die in this arc. It would devistate Peter. The anger at Osborn would also increase to horrible levels.

But the question is would Peter kill his best friend just to get back at Norman? Is Harry is going to let Spider-Man just beat him death?

Latest posts

Back