Ultimate Spider-Man #82 discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate this issue?

Votes: 3 21.4%

Votes: 9 64.3%

Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Good issue. Great story progression - Bendis is handling story progression much better here than in *shudder*....Hobgoblin. :sick:

Black Cat is...erm...very interesting here. Can't wait to see what she does if/when she finds out Peter is just 16. I'd actually like to see Bendis drag it out for a while and have her pop up suddenly for a few issues.

Poor Pete is in a no-win situation here as far as being between Hammerhead and Kingpin, although Cat and Moon Knight are definitely x-factors here. Cat moreso than Moon Knight, because I agree that it's very possible that he is working for somebody. Not sure if it's Fury, because I think Fury has bigger fish to fry than Hammerhead or even Kingpin, but we'll see.

DIrishB said:
Any weird time jumps I should know about in regards to the timeline? I figured there wouldn't be, so I went ahead and updated anyway (however minor).
Nope. This is just your typical 3-straight-hours-out-of-Spider-Mans-normal-day issue :D

TheManWithoutFear said:
Hmmm... I thought I liked the HG arc as it was progressing it was the ending that sank it.

Too choppy for my tastes, with all of the poorly placed flashbacks.

Not to mention the boring "villain appears only at the end for climatic fight sequence" stuff.

For one, according to teh Ultimate Handbook, Cat is ony twenty, so wanting Spider-Man even though he's 16 might not frustrate her too much....
However she is obviously the horniest Ultimate female out there.

What happens next? I dunno. Moon Knight obviously has a problem with somebody, black cat has a beef with Kingpin, Iron Fist and Sheng Chi have a beef with Spider-Man, and Elektra? Elektra is touched that Spider-Man finds her cheasticles beauiful. All in all, it is going to be one major free for all (not to start anything, but this was the most perfect opportunity to bring in Daredevil).

This issue was pretty good, I liked it. I think the Black Cat/Spidey flirting and Spidey's mention about not having a girlfriend confirms Warriors takes place before the Annual, with the Silver Sable arc picking up after the Annual. Overall a decent issue. Looking forward to seeing how this arc wraps up.

Hawkeye101 said:
For one, according to teh Ultimate Handbook, Cat is ony twenty, so wanting Spider-Man even though he's 16 might not frustrate her too much....
However she is obviously the horniest Ultimate female out there.

What happens next? I dunno. Moon Knight obviously has a problem with somebody, black cat has a beef with Kingpin, Iron Fist and Sheng Chi have a beef with Spider-Man, and Elektra? Elektra is touched that Spider-Man finds her cheasticles beauiful. All in all, it is going to be one major free for all (not to start anything, but this was the most perfect opportunity to bring in Daredevil).

Since when do Iron Fist and Shang-Chi have a beef with Spidey? I know Spider-Man punched Iron Fist way back in USM #1/2, but he doesn't seem like the type to hold a grudge (probably due to some Zen/Buddhist type philosophy which went along with his martial arts training). And Shang-Chi actually should like Spidey, as he tried to help him during UMTU #15-16 (not that Shang Chi needed it), and then he gave Pete a quick lesson in martial arts. Did I miss something? And I thought it was pretty clear Spidey would be teaming up with the two of them later on in the arc (and possible Moon Knight, depending on where his loyalties lie) to take down Kingpin/Hammerhead.

Yeah, I was going to say the issue read like it was before the Annual. Hopefully, JTG is right and the X-Men (including Shadowcat) provide Spider-Man with some help against the Ultimate Reavers and Omega Red, depending on their availability. I think that would be fun.

Does anyone else think that Moon Knight has been on all sides at one point? Like, I get the feeling he's responsible for healing both Hammerhead and Black Cat and is now cleaning up what he's done. There are probably reasons as to why such an enigmatic person would do this, but depending on his powers, it's definitely possible. Heck, Black Cat and him may be working together... Both of them are participating in covert missions on either Spider-Man or Hammerhead, right? They've had to of crossed paths before. It's definitely worth considering, right?

Went down and read it myself today...

Nevermind about working with SHIELD. It might be possible but from the looks of the issue he's workin' for himself. Question is who is his girlfriend? Shall I check the archives to find any marvel heroine with the first name Marlene? Didn't anyone else mention this in the thread? Moon Knight does not seem crazy or schizo at all, thank god.

I don't like how Black Cat is written she's coming off as a huge ditz. I do like how she's not "taking sides" but her feelings for Peter really have no substance. Pete's initial reaction bothered me. I'm sure I have the agreement of all of you since half this site seems obsessed with this comic character. But If we (any of you) were Parker and you were single there's no way in hell that you wouldn't take that right then and there.

DeWolff was a great great character. I love her in this book. I don't care if she stays good or bad or who she's working for or if she's straight. But Bendis does an awesome job with her.

Kingpin/Dini/Elektra.... Who could ask for better **** than that.

Strong issue.

4.5/5

I though more could have been doen with each character. Black Cat, Sheng Chi, Iron Fist, Hammerhead, Moon Knight, Elektra, even Spider-Man. The issue had more potential than what was done, but the way it was done was done well.

Hawk, you really have to start spelling Shang-Chi's name right.

As for more with the characters. The Moon Knight thing was cool because it's only beginning to show us his world. He is going to be a regular and as far as Shang-Chi and Iron Fist, there will be more of them but really they're just young kids willing to defend their territory, not much to them and there's not much needed.

Goodwill said:
Yeah, I was going to say the issue read like it was before the Annual. Hopefully, JTG is right and the X-Men (including Shadowcat) provide Spider-Man with some help against the Ultimate Reavers and Omega Red, depending on their availability. I think that would be fun.

I'd like to see that, at the very least a mention of them or one or two members showing up to help out.

Does anyone else think that Moon Knight has been on all sides at one point? Like, I get the feeling he's responsible for healing both Hammerhead and Black Cat and is now cleaning up what he's done. There are probably reasons as to why such an enigmatic person would do this, but depending on his powers, it's definitely possible. Heck, Black Cat and him may be working together... Both of them are participating in covert missions on either Spider-Man or Hammerhead, right? They've had to of crossed paths before. It's definitely worth considering, right?

Good point. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. One thing thats bothering me is the apparent non-finality of dying in the Ultimate universe. First Ross comes back, now Hammerhead and Black Cat. I don't expect a detailed explanation, but something a bit more believable than Hammerhead's answer "I was dead, it sucked. So I came back." I mean, come on. At least the older cheesy resurrection stories in 616 and DC at least attempted an explanation. I'm not sure whats worse, the writers not taking the deaths seriously or them taking it too seriously. Oh well, long as this doesn't become a habit and we have Beast show back up as well...course I think we all know Sabretooth will be showing back up at some point in UXM, despite being beheaded by Wolverine in RoTK.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Went down and read it myself today...

Nevermind about working with SHIELD. It might be possible but from the looks of the issue he's workin' for himself. Question is who is his girlfriend? Shall I check the archives to find any marvel heroine with the first name Marlene? Didn't anyone else mention this in the thread? Moon Knight does not seem crazy or schizo at all, thank god.

I don't like how Black Cat is written she's coming off as a huge ditz. I do like how she's not "taking sides" but her feelings for Peter really have no substance. Pete's initial reaction bothered me. I'm sure I have the agreement of all of you since half this site seems obsessed with this comic character. But If we (any of you) were Parker and you were single there's no way in hell that you wouldn't take that right then and there.

I totally agree. The one redeeming aspect of that was that at least when he swung home he pondered Black Cat and considered giving in. So at least he's not a total moron. Still though, I don't care if I had a Presidential Adress to give, some incredibly hot, somewhat older chick is throwing herself at me, you better believe I'm going to show her the extent of my "spider powers". ;)

DeWolff was a great great character. I love her in this book. I don't care if she stays good or bad or who she's working for or if she's straight. But Bendis does an awesome job with her.

Kingpin/Dini/Elektra.... Who could ask for better **** than that.

Strong issue.

4.5/5

Agree with these points. Liked DeWolff's take charge attitude, and it was good to see Dini getting knocked off under Kingpin's orders, especially since he's been Wilson's right hand man for so long (been around since the second arc) but he could no longer be trusted to keep quiet. I'm really interested to see how the last few issues of this arc play out...hopefully Black Cat doesn't "supposedly" get killed off again.

Hawkeye101 said:
I though more could have been doen with each character. Black Cat, Sheng Chi, Iron Fist, Hammerhead, Moon Knight, Elektra, even Spider-Man. The issue had more potential than what was done, but the way it was done was done well.

I gotta disagree, we already saw plenty of Shang-Chi, Iron Fist, Hammerhead, and Elektra in the earlier issues of the arc, and I'm sure we'll see plenty more before the arc wraps up. Its a heavy cast Bendis is using in this arc, so not every character will get lots of page time without making the title seem like its losing focus. I liked how we got to explore Black Cat's and Peter's relationship (or lack thereof), and it was very cool to see Pete actually consider something with her. Trust me, the last few issues of this arc will be a drag-out, kick-***, gang fight, probably with Spider-Man, Black Cat, Iron Fist, and Shang-Chi on one side, Kingpin, Elektra on another, and Hammerhead and his goons on another. It'll be interesting to say the least. Where Moon Knight will play into this is still up in the air, but I have a feeling he isn't necessarily working for a particular side, just his own goals.

Again I will ask: Where in the Hell is Daredevil. I only ask because:

1) He doesn't like the Kingpin or Hammerhead either

2) Elektra is involved

3) Bendis is writing the arc!

Where are you!?

Hawkeye101 said:
Again I will ask: Where in the Hell is Daredevil. I only ask because:

1) He doesn't like the Kingpin or Hammerhead either

2) Elektra is involved

3) Bendis is writing the arc!

Where are you!?

Good question...and Bendis DID say Daredevil would be showing up again soon, so when though? It would be cool if he made a surprise appearance at the end of this arc and saved the day, furthering his dislike of Spidey doing the whole super-hero thing since he had to save his ***...I would like that anyway.

DIrishB said:
Good question...and Bendis DID say Daredevil would be showing up again soon, so when though? It would be cool if he made a surprise appearance at the end of this arc and saved the day, furthering his dislike of Spidey doing the whole super-hero thing since he had to save his ***...I would like that anyway.

Yes! That is what I am talking about! Daredevil should at least be used as Spider-Man's 'coach' or whatever. You know help him cope with the duel life at the very least (you know 'after' yelling at him and cornering him for not hanging up the webs.

Hawkeye101 said:
Yes! That is what I am talking about! Daredevil should at least be used as Spider-Man's 'coach' or whatever. You know help him cope with the duel life at the very least (you know 'after' yelling at him and cornering him for not hanging up the webs.

Thats gonna be Moonknights role (who, by the way, could kick DDs blind ***) :)

Latest posts

Back