Ultimate Spider-Man #85 (Spoiler)

UltimateE said:
He's could be pulling his punches and holding back because she's female.

This is the only sort of logical explanation. It's not just about Spiderman's strength, though. He has superhuman speed, agility and an innate instinct to anticipate things that might hurt him. Elektra may be peak, but Parker's powers are beyond human.

Yet why would he be holding back against someone who doesn't hesitate to stick a shiv in somebody? (And why the hell do some of those people -- like Hammerhead and Black Cat and, I think, Moon Knight -- seem to survive getting gutted?)

Hate to keep beating this drum, but it all comes back to House of Bendis.

John Q. Public said:
Yet why would he be holding back against someone who doesn't hesitate to stick a shiv in somebody? (And why the hell do some of those people -- like Hammerhead and Black Cat and, I think, Moon Knight -- seem to survive getting gutted?)
I agree. I'm getting tired of this whole people get stabbed and survived. Why would a writer even do that? "Have him/her get stabbed, they'll be ok" You'd think they'd intentionally think of other ways not to get wounded so that it would be at least logical they'd survive.

So... anyone got any reactions to the last page of the issue? Aunt May has really been in the background the last few arcs, and I think its about time we see some more on her and her reactions to Peters "double life". Since Gwens death, Peter has been more and more into "Peter Parker no more", and been more pro-active in his role as Spider-man. Some of the effects of that has already been shown, like him missing a lot of classes. It was just a question of time until this would reach aunt May.

Another dilemma for our protagonist. Will he be kicked out of his home? Really, I think it´s about time he comes clean with May and tell her everything. She´s actually the only person he really can trust, and he´s been keeping her in the dark for way to long. It could be one hell of a "confession"-issue (I really like that issue in 616, when May finds out, and they talk about it. Emotional stuff.).

All in all, a nice arc. Better than the last few, and as good as Hollywood. Still no "Public Scrutiny" though, wich is my favourite arc so far.

I said a few months ago that there's no way keeping his costumed identity hidden from Aunt May is going to last. I agree and think it's time he comes clean or she starts figuring things out.

I'd love to see a scene where she's desperate to get Peter to get rid of the powers that by the time SHIELD's after him, he comes home expecting some security and Aunt May's sitting there with Fury.

Yeah, good point about May.

You can't seriously live in the same house as someone and not figure out that said person is coming and going at the weirdest hours. Something gotta give.

I don't know how it will tie up with the next arc, though. Will Spidey have to deal with May on top of the SS/Roxxon deal? If so, busy week ahead for Peter.

Last edited:
Could be overkill too. :?

And just so I clear this up. I do not suspect Aunt May to find out that Peter is Spider-Man exactly. I always thought Clark Kent getting away with being Superman was logical because he lives in a big city and honestly who else besides Lois is gonna know who Clark even is or put 2 and 2 together.

Anyway, the point is. Her thinking that he's actually Spider-Man is ridiculous. To her Spider-Man is not a kid but like everyone else she probably thinks he's a man. This might change when Sable starts publicly raising suspicions that Spider-Man = Midtown High. Then Aunt May can start worrying about the worst case scenerio but until then she should just think that Peter's on drugs and come down hard on him.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'd love to see a scene where she's desperate to get Peter to get rid of the powers that by the time SHIELD's after him, he comes home expecting some security and Aunt May's sitting there with Fury.

Whoa! That would be an awesome twist.

In the Aunt May therapy issue, Bendis vaguely mentions that May thinks Pete climbs out the window and runs down the street to see MJ, which probably covers him for a while... Less so now that they've broken up, I guess.

John Q. Public said:

Hate to keep beating this drum, but it all comes back to House of Bendis.

Nah, that's totally normal for Ultimate Peter. He uses just the amount of force necessary, and nothing more.

supermusli said:
Another dilemma for our protagonist. Will he be kicked out of his home? Really, I think it´s about time he comes clean with May and tell her everything. She´s actually the only person he really can trust, and he´s been keeping her in the dark for way to long. It could be one hell of a "confession"-issue (I really like that issue in 616, when May finds out, and they talk about it. Emotional stuff.).

if i remember right (this was the only tbp i read), in 616 aunt may found out by coming in to pick up laundry and finding a blood stained suit...

I think Elektra's still alive. We all know that Hammerhead survived because DeWolfe mentions that he's in a coma. She also mentions that Elektra is "in bad shape". While some might consider this a smart aleck comment to say she's dead, the fact that DeWolfe warns Kingpin that Elektra wasn't really his loyal subject shows that she doesn't want Fisk to deal with her again in the future, if ever she recovers from that nasty head wound.

Also I don't see what's wrong with Elektra being able to take down Spidey even though she's powerless. While Spidey's got the abilities, Elektra has the experience, training and being totally detached from any emotion such as remorse or guilt. Technically some of Spidey's villains are more powerful than him, but he always find a way to outsmart them or take advantage on any possible weaknesses.

Last edited:
nigma said:
if i remember right (this was the only tbp i read), in 616 aunt may found out by coming in to pick up laundry and finding a blood stained suit...

Yes, that´s right. But the next issue they talked about it :)

I always figured that Parker would, in his way, out-fox Fury. But if he comes home and Aunt May is there to help Fury depower the boy -- awesome twist! Seriously. that's a great plot point. It'd be interesting if Pete has to square off against Aunt May, who tries to enlist all sorts of help to get the kid to stop being Spiderman. It makes all kinds of sense in the UU.

Last edited:
Well yeah, I obviously agree it would make things worse for Peter. I wouldn't want her to enlist to many extreme measures. If they ever introduced a villain because Aunt May was dumb enough to let some jerk in on it, I'd be real disappointed.

Bendis answers about Elektra handling Spider-Man:

In so many words he says she's extensively trained and it should be apparent she can handle a "Spastic 15 year old".

Congratulations to everyone who thought it was plausible.

Also, spider-sense only activates when he's in immediate danger.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back