Ultimate Spider-Man #87 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear said:
Bendis got it wrong there.

If that's the case, then there have been a lot more writers than Bendis to "get it wrong there."

Doc Comic said:
Actually, in real life, Peter wouldn't have any girls at all because he's a nerd, and all high school girls look for are looks. Fact.

You have no clue what you're talking about, Doc, that's apparent.

TheManWithoutFear said:
What he said. MJ is way too hott for Peter. Bendis got it wrong there.

Goodwill said:
Nerds get girls when they have confidence, guys.

Or when they're secretly super-heroes and tell the girl about it by issue #13. ;)

compound said:
*resists urge to make wisecrack about Doc speaking from experience*

:lol:

Tenyuki said:
Well what you guys forget is that the Ultiverse MJ was somewhat of a book nerd, too.

Good point.

TheManWithoutFear said:
She's not here. She's smokin' hott which is our point.

Yes, she is a nerd. Remember way back in the first arc when Flash was hitting on her he called her "brainy Janey" and made allusion to her being a bookworm? Tenyuki is right.

She wasn't a "nerd" regardless of how intelligent a girl is they're in. What the relationship was missing was an older guy trying to get with Mary Jane. And she showed feelings before issue #13 that's what I was getting at.

I write books on High School girl's behavior guys. Please. I agree with Doc Comic. Girls only go after a certain guy. Maybe Peter's telling her sealed the deal for him. But if he hadn't he woulda been out the door in real life where here Bendis would've continued the relationship that would've been fiction. It just doesn't work that way.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I write books on High School girl's behavior guys.

Well, you see, up until last June, I was still in high school, and not all high school girls fall into that stereotypical mold of being extremely shallow and going for the super attractive guy over the nice guy.

TheManWithoutFear said:
She wasn't a "nerd" regardless of how intelligent a girl is they're in. What the relationship was missing was an older guy trying to get with Mary Jane. And she showed feelings before issue #13 that's what I was getting at.

I write books on High School girl's behavior guys. Please. I agree with Doc Comic. Girls only go after a certain guy. Maybe Peter's telling her sealed the deal for him. But if he hadn't he woulda been out the door in real life where here Bendis would've continued the relationship that would've been fiction. It just doesn't work that way.

You guys just got burned by some high school chicks so now you're lumping their behavior into one easily definable (and incredibly wrong) state. There's more to them than that, whatever you all see.

Tenyuki said:
Well, you see, up until last June, I was still in high school, and not all high school girls fall into that stereotypical mold of being extremely shallow and going for the super attractive guy over the nice guy.

Exactly.

DIrishB said:
You guys just got burned by some high school chicks so now you're lumping their behavior into one easily definable (and incredibly wrong) state.

Exactly.

The thing is, these days, girls are looking for more than a cute face. They want to find somebody who can offer something more to the table than a nice smile or whatever.

Rereading the issue, I really feel like this is taking away from what kind of attitude Peter had throughout Warriors. I'm now completely dissatisfied with the arc so far... The "Peter Parker No More" was very cool. "Just like his father."

(Hi guys, I'm new here. :D)

I really loved this issue, particularly the interaction between MJ and Peter.

Or when they're secretly super-heroes and tell the girl about it by issue #13.
That's one of the things I'm wondering about Kitty. It's been made clear MJ doesn't really like Peter being Spider-Man, and it seems like Kitty is way interested in that. I wonder if that might become a point of contention between the two. If somehow Kitty is more interested in dating the "cute boy who is Spider-Man" rather than Peter Parker.

gondee said:
(Hi guys, I'm new here. :D)

I really loved this issue, particularly the interaction between MJ and Peter.

That's one of the things I'm wondering about Kitty. It's been made clear MJ doesn't really like Peter being Spider-Man, and it seems like Kitty is way interested in that. I wonder if that might become a point of contention between the two. If somehow Kitty is more interested in dating the "cute boy who is Spider-Man" rather than Peter Parker.

Welcome Gondee!

In terms of MJ not liking Peter being Spider-Man, I think that viewpoint was something which evolved out of her worrying about him. After all, when he first told her, she was excited about it. After his life was endangered a few times (and hers for that matter) did she begin changing her tune.

You bring up some good points though and I look forward to seeing if Bendis will do just that.

I dunno Irish, I'm looking forward to it too. The Kitty-MJ-Peter triangle is a much better love triangle than MJ-Gwen-Peter one, because Kitty is an actual threat to taking Peter away. Plus, she's smart, funny and cute and can't get hurt.

I was majorly curious why Bendis focused on MJ for so much of this issue. Instead of having a 5 page spread of the burgeoning relationship between Kitty and Peter, we get lots of angst with MJ seeing the two together, a shot of her in torment hanging up the cell phone, the whole shabang. That majorly deepens MJ's character over Kitty (in the USM comic at least). Seems a curious scene to me about Bendis' intentions. Maybe I'm overanalyzing this and he's just milking the angst this situation brings and isn't telegraphing his intentions about the future of Peter's personal relationships.

Last edited:
Hey. Welcome to the site.

gondee said:

That's one way to see it. But on the other hand Spider-Man is indissociable from Peter Parker since he is the espression of Peter's guilt and sense of responsability. If Kitty is more supportive of Peter's secret life, it works in her favor, not against it.

She could be star struck and more interested in the Spider-Man persona. But then, she is a superhero herself so there shouldn't be too much of that.

Doc Comic said:
Actually, in real life, Peter wouldn't have any girls at all because he's a nerd, and all high school girls look for are looks. Fact.

not a fact, not even by a long shot, how about you define Nerd? come on doc? me and some of my freinds were 'nerds' but we still got along with the girls real good. that might have been cuz i was 6'1 tall, dark, and 'cute'. and we didn't wear dark cloths have 20 earings through our bodies or have our hair look like it got into a fight with a weed whacker and the weed whacker just won. maybe thats the difference? me and my freinds looked dare i say it .....:shock: Normal.

ok now about the issue...it was an ok issue. after reading U2 #9 it looked like this was typed up in 15 mins. while miller at least spent about an 1hr typing.

with bendis, it seems like most of the work is carried by bagley. you have 1/2 page panels of drawings with about 10-15 words on it. keep that going for about 15 pages and you have yourself a USM comic.

edit: did anyone else notice the fat white kid with the 'yoda live' T-shirt it was near the end. i just found that funny.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back