Ultimate Spider-Man #89 Discussion (Spoilers)

ultimatedjf said:
I like how, IMO, six parts seems to really be working/good for this arc. But then again, it's probably just the new great coloring.

I don't get it. :?
Me neither. The arc is 5 parts.

I missed the High school in this issue. Good issue, no apparent reason for vulture. but thats next issue. i liked the art in the flashback. very very dramatic.
id give it a 4/5.

batdog said:
no apparent reason for vulture.

Same reason as Omega red ; he's the last in a long serie of super thugs targeting Roxxon.

Question is who can tap so many super powered goons and why? Even Roxxon doesn't seem to know why and he's in the best position to know his own enemies. Admitedly, though, he's not very smart so it's understandable he wouldn't know.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Same reason as Omega red ; he's the last in a long serie of super thugs targeting Roxxon.

Question is who can tap so many super powered goons and why? Even Roxxon doesn't seem to know why and he's in the best position to know his own enemies. Admitedly, though, he's not very smart so it's understandable he wouldn't know.

it did say that he had to make some quick decisions about things. and these "things" might be the cause of it, hence he commissioned for them to be created them.

nigma said:
it did say that he had to make some quick decisions about things. and these "things" might be the cause of it, hence he commissioned for them to be created them.

Hum, yes, maybe he made a mistake in the past but still doesn't realize the full implication of it. But that would make the current goon attack a vengeance. It looked more like sabotage and theft so far, though it could be a 'I'll destroy everything you hold dear' kind of vengeance. That latest Vulture attack is outright attempted murder. It's a weird progression but makes some sense if it's a venegance of some sort. You'd expect a comic book villain to want to reveal himself before pulling the trigger, though. Not much of a vengeance, otherwise.

BTW nigma, I've seen your sig and, well, you're not supposed to quote yourself. You're supposed to just say it. :lol:

Meh, this was an average issue. It will read better once collected.

Just so you know for in the future, when I say "cornball" it is neither negative or positvie comment, it's neutral. What I put a negative or positive word after it, that word modifies "cornball" to its appropriate place. Let's face it a lot of corny things can be good too :wink: . The jury is still out if I like, but you did bring something up I hadn't realized before, Roxxon is acting more like a teenager than a adult (we knew that he was dumb, but this just makes him immature too). So in that case it makes better sense.

Actually extending it even further, given that he acts like a teenager, he is a great foil for Peter Parker. Roxxon had no loving relatives/hated by his dad, was spoiled, got the easy life, never grew up, would be apparently to the public living the good life, but had to deal with "super villans" just like Peter. While Peter, on the other hand has had pretty much the opposites of all those that I named above, but again has to face super villans. Unlike Roxxon, Peter is able to deal with this and so much more because he is more mature than Roxxon, despite their age.

I'm thinking too much, my head hurts (I blame you MWoF)... I guess if I can do a literary analysis on a comic than it deserves at least an 8 ... ugh ...

The issue was pretty good.

What I liked:
*The SHIELD fingerprint trace/triangulation thing.
*Spidey breaking loose.

What I didn't like:
*He was unmasked AGAIN, soon Peter Parker will have to do a Tony Stark and tell everyone "Uh, Spider-man is just my bodyguard, SM is not me anymore".

What I'm hoping for:
*Some uncharacteristic revenge on Sable and the Wildpack by Spider-man.

E.Vi.L. said:
Hum, yes, maybe he made a mistake in the past but still doesn't realize the full implication of it. But that would make the current goon attack a vengeance. It looked more like sabotage and theft so far, though it could be a 'I'll destroy everything you hold dear' kind of vengeance. That latest Vulture attack is outright attempted murder. It's a weird progression but makes some sense if it's a venegance of some sort. You'd expect a comic book villain to want to reveal himself before pulling the trigger, though. Not much of a vengeance, otherwise.

BTW nigma, I've seen your sig and, well, you're not supposed to quote yourself. You're supposed to just say it. :lol:

to further answer your question I'll have to re-read the issue. but you make a good point. I'm hoping that more of the reason for the attacks are made clear in the next issue cuz: kingpin had genetic cronies and i think that ??silvermen?? did as well so why not a stupid Roxxon?

Hussefell said:
Just so you know for in the future, when I say "cornball" it is neither negative or positvie comment, it's neutral. What I put a negative or positive word after it, that word modifies "cornball" to its appropriate place. Let's face it a lot of corny things can be good too :wink: . The jury is still out if I like, but you did bring something up I hadn't realized before, Roxxon is acting more like a teenager than a adult (we knew that he was dumb, but this just makes him immature too). So in that case it makes better sense.

Actually extending it even further, given that he acts like a teenager, he is a great foil for Peter Parker. Roxxon had no loving relatives/hated by his dad, was spoiled, got the easy life, never grew up, would be apparently to the public living the good life, but had to deal with "super villans" just like Peter. While Peter, on the other hand has had pretty much the opposites of all those that I named above, but again has to face super villans. Unlike Roxxon, Peter is able to deal with this and so much more because he is more mature than Roxxon, despite their age.

I'm thinking too much, my head hurts (I blame you MWoF)... I guess if I can do a literary analysis on a comic than it deserves at least an 8 ... ugh ...
:sure:

I found the issue to be good. I enjoyed the funny flashbacks. Vulture was cool. I love that Peter is unmasked every other issue. It just fits him. It was funny ****.

B

I like the fact that Peter is unmasked a lot, too. It humanizes him... Do you think a fifteen year old trying to hide their identity could really pull that off for a while? I'm actually shocked May has no clue.

But at this rate, sooner or later his Identity will have to get public. Which would lead to a very different Spider-Man...

A little late review, but I really enjoyed the issue, it felt complete unlike many of the issues. The flashbacks were neat, hope to see more of them. Humorously I'd like them to do something like that for deadpool, but just have it be a blank image like him trying to remember but gets nothing. I don't know if I've ever been intimidated by a hunchback before thou but we'll see. Apparently Iron Man appears next issue so we'll truly see the power of the creepy old man in action.

Ultxon said:
A little late review, but I really enjoyed the issue, it felt complete unlike many of the issues. The flashbacks were neat, hope to see more of them. Humorously I'd like them to do something like that for deadpool, but just have it be a blank image like him trying to remember but gets nothing. I don't know if I've ever been intimidated by a hunchback before thou but we'll see. Apparently Iron Man appears next issue so we'll truly see the power of the creepy old man in action.

I'm glad to see you liked the issue, Ultxon. It would seem that the number of USM supporters are few and far between... :D

ultimatedjf said:
I'm glad to see you liked the issue, Ultxon. It would seem that the number of USM supporters are few and far between... :D

...and there are plenty who would like to see it (or should I say Bendis) outright fail completely.

Latest posts

Back