Ultimate Spider-Man #97 discussion (spoilers)

DIrishB said:
Do you have a problem with manga or anime when characters in those respective medias have their eyes go huge in surprise, anger, etc in response to something? Because thats oranges and oranges.

I don't read manga or watch anime, so I couldn't care less either way. I did bring up the example in the other thread that when my 3-year old watches Teen Titans it's good that they do things like that because he's little and I'm not sure he fully grasps the concept of paying attention to surroundings and surrounding circumstances in order to read a character's emotions. Plus, 99.9999999% of the time it's done for comedic purposes and is grossly exaggerated, to the point where the character's head gets huge and distended, etc.

I love how mask squinting has taken over this thread. Since the original is in The Museum and you can't add to them....maybe there should be a sequel thread? :lol:

gemini-mk said:
i beleive it's suit not sue i've got an aunt named sue

No, it's sue.

I filed a suit.
I sued him.
I am suing.
Sue me.

To sue : 3 a : to seek justice or right from (a person) by legal process; specifically : to bring an action against b : to proceed with and follow up (a legal action) to proper termination
intransitive verb

I hope you are not a native speaker or it'd be embarassing for me to be correcting you. ;)

DIB said:
What? No one thinks my theory has any merit? Come on, I called the Hobgoblin/Harry origin long before it was confirmed, and I bet I'm calling this one. Besides, Norman knows MJ is (or was) Peter's girlfriend and that he cares about her, so he'd seems like a likely connection for the kidnapping.

I like your theory, seems plausible.

For the record, I don't think Shaw was an hallucination through the entire Hobgoblin arc. It could be argued that he was real right until the moment he had to knock out/sedate/Cellar door Harry (my memory is fuzzy on the detail). After that there is no doubt that any further sighting of Shaw is an hallucination. In that interpretation, Norman really left Shaw with instructions which he carried and then he left Harry after the kid started freaking out. From that point on Harry is falling apart and hallucinating Shaw. If he was hallucinating from the first page of the arc, it would have made more sense for his mind to conjure up his therapist or even his father than Shaw who he had hardly ever seen. But if Shaw really showed up, then it makes sense for his mind to use Shaw when he starts to get truly delusional.

I got to re-read.

But that interpretation makes your theory more plausible. Early in the Hobgoblin arc, Shaw revealed that he had deep admiration for Norman Osborn. Harry couldn't have known that and so if Shaw was already an hallucination at that point, Harry would have made that up. But if Shaw was real at that point and therefore truly feel that way, it would make more sense for him to be involved in MJ's kidnapping as part of a revenge.

Last edited:
E said:
I don't read manga or watch anime, so I couldn't care less either way. I did bring up the example in the other thread that when my 3-year old watches Teen Titans it's good that they do things like that because he's little and I'm not sure he fully grasps the concept of paying attention to surroundings and surrounding circumstances in order to read a character's emotions.
Okay so lets see, in the panel Spidey's should is slightly down, which ither means he is depressed, tired, or possible confused, lets examine what the dialogue says..."Oh boy." ... I got nothing. The thing is do you think all artist ar that good to always make an image that perfectly shows emiotional developement? Also I only want to stare at a panel cause its a freakin sweet shot not because I have to examine backgrounds, angle, miserable or whatever

E.Vi.L. said:
For the record, I don't think Shaw was an hallucination through the entire Hobgoblin arc. It could be argued that he was real right until the moment he had to knock out/sedate/Cellar door Harry (my memory is fuzzy on the detail). After that there is no doubt that any further sighting of Shaw is an hallucination. In that interpretation, Norman really left Shaw with instructions which he carried and then he left Harry after the kid started freaking out. From that point on Harry is falling apart and hallucinating Shaw. If he was hallucinating from the first page of the arc, it would have made more sense for his mind to conjure up his therapist or even his father than Shaw who he had hardly ever seen. But if Shaw really showed up, then it makes sense for his mind to use Shaw when he starts to get truly delusional.

I got to re-read.
Well I recall him telling Harry that SHIELD doesnt no he exist and needs to keep it that way, so maybe he has some kind of cloaking power, cause other than Osborn and his crew no one has ever seen him directly

Victor Von Doom said:
Well lets take the mask squinting to that thread too!!!! :lol:

Yes please.

I can't get over the amount of rationalization behind "needing" mask squinting for a character to convey emotion.

If it's THAT important for people in the story to know what Spider-Man's emotions are, he shouldn't be wearing a mask. It's not necessary. If you as a reader need that, then I'm sorry that you need your comic dumbed down for you.

E said:
Yes please.

I can't get over the amount of rationalization behind "needing" mask squinting for a character to convey emotion.

If it's THAT important for people in the story to know what Spider-Man's emotions are, he shouldn't be wearing a mask. It's not necessary. If you as a reader need that, then I'm sorry that you need your comic dumbed down for you.
Whoa.

It's not something that or readers need (per sey) but something that's just done. I'd like to see how you would show emotion through a mask with a character without the mask squinting. It's not about "dumbing" anything down. It's just showing expression. Wouldn't you say that if something scared someone they should at least look scared? By what you're saying, they should just stay looking as if they were injected by botox and just read them saying what they say.

E said:
Yes please.

E....you gotta know that I'm joking. I just find it amusing on how riled up people are over this trivial thing. Is it stupid??? Yes. Does it serve some sort of purpose??? Yes.

Seriously though people....don't take it over to the Cap thread.

Anyways.....so USM............

Ice said:
Will rock next issue. :wink:

:D

I have hopes that it will. I'm really hoping that Bendis delivers on this arc. He's been touting it for so long that I just blew all the other arcs off as filler until "Clone Saga".

Despite the ho-hum of the title as of late---I am still entertained.....but in the same kinda way one is entertained by watching a Rob Schneider movie.

E.Vi.L. said:
I don't think Shaw was an hallucination through the entire Hobgoblin arc.
Since you started to teach the English language, I feel I need to get this off my chest.

It's an only if the H is silent. A horse. An hour. A hallucination. It's a common mistake made by people who want to impress others (I'm quoting Peter Parker here).

Last edited:
Ice said:
I'd like to see how you would show emotion through a mask with a character without the mask squinting.

But my whole point is that you don't. It's not needed.

Ice said:
Wouldn't you say that if something scared someone they should at least look scared?

If they aren't wearing a mask, absolutely.

If they are wearing a mask made of fabric and glass, absolutely not. They would be scared under their mask. The mask is there to hide their identity. A nice bonus is that it hides emotion. If you were Spider-Man fighting Venom, would you want Venom to know you were terrified? I sure wouldn't. There's a n advantage to being hidden by a mask.

Ice said:
By what you're saying, they should just stay looking as if they were injected by botox and just read them saying what they say.

A mask which is in place to conceal someone's face should do exactly that. It's more than just hiding the identity.

But the point is that the mask ISN'T moving. Not for them. Like I said earlier, if we were in their world, it wouldn't move. AT ALL. But we're not in their world. It's paper with pictures and words. None of that makes any sound. Characters have to show emotion somehow when they have masks on.

Ice said:
Characters have to show emotion somehow when they have masks on.

I whole-heartedly, totally, and completely disagree.

Why do they "have to"? For the reader's benefit? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

E said:

Why do they "have to"? For the reader's benefit? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Maybe it seems you rather have character have "life-less faces" on them in your comics.

E said:

Well you know the actual artist probably have tried it, you think that they make just do that for the heck of it, they try it with and they try it without it. They see the result and decide which turned out better

vintsukka said:
Since you started to teach the English language, I feel I need to get this off my chest.

It's an only if the H is silent. A horse. An hour. A hallucination. It's a common mistake made by people who want to impress others (I'm quoting Peter Parker here).

:lol:

So it seems the worst English ortograph, vocabulary and syntax nazis are all born outside of an English speaking nation?

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind.

But for the record, the precise use of words is my pet peeve, not ortograph. We can understand each other even with bad orthograph but not if we use the wrong words. A particular concern for a francophone since many English words are faux amis (false friends). It means an English word that is spelled almost exactly like a French word or is structured the same way but the meaning is different.

Last edited:
Ice said:
Maybe it seems you rather have character have "life-less faces" on them in your comics.

No, just consistant.

I said that if it's an actual face I want to see every detail of the emotion the character is going through. But a fabric mask is not a face, does not have muscles, and cannot move.

Latest posts

Back