Ultimate Spider-Man #97 discussion (spoilers)

Prof. Toad

So the story starts off with Peter talking to Kitty on the phone. Kittyis mad at him because he confided in MJ the whole Morbius fiasco. She says that he loves MJ. Peter doesn't respond. He hangs up as Aunt May comes home with dinner. MJ convinces Peter to go to the mall with her. While there he thanks her for trying to keep their friendship. As they talk an off-panel character throws a food stand. MJ leaves and Peter fights it. It is the Scorpion. He starts screaming crazy nonsense("I've been here before. Don't you trick me"). The police stop by and try to detain them both. Peter defeats him and punches his face-mask thingy off. IT is...Peter's clone. The scene shifts to MJ's house where she is in her room writing in her diary. Suddenly a hand grabs her mouth and abducts her. Her mom comes upstairs to find her not there.
The art was horrible but not due to Bagley. Whoever did the inks screwed it up.
2/5:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Ultimate Spider-man 97 (spoilers)

So. . .Bendis just made Scorpian Peter's clone.

Wow. . .

Bendis, you're a hack. I'm sorry.

Sounds like the memories that Carnage was seeing.

Lynx said:
So. . .Bendis just made Scorpian Peter's clone.

Wow. . .

Bendis, you're a hack. I'm sorry.
No offense, but when we get insect-themed villains/heroes/assorted superpeople in a CLONE Saga, what the hell did you expect them to be? We called this like, back when it was announced that Scorpion would even be in the Clone Saga.

But I was still hoping to see something less obvious for the new clone saga. :(

First thing I did when I went into the CS was flip through USM 97 to the "big reveal" on the last page... When I saw it was nothing surprising, I put it back.

MJs mom kinda looked like a peter clone. :? I wonder who grabbed her. I was thinking its shadowcat but they had like hairy arms and manhands so i dunno, the hair kind of looks like spidergirls, or peter parker. i dunno. On the letters page they did a good job of weaseling out of not admitting their mistakes with the crossover.

Ultimate MJ said:
But I was still hoping to see something less obvious for the new clone saga. :(

First thing I did when I went into the CS was flip through USM 97 to the "big reveal" on the last page... When I saw it was nothing surprising, I put it back.

So the 616 Scorpian is a Peter clone?

DarthKosh said:
So the 616 Scorpian is a Peter clone?
*cough*Scorpion*cough*

No, it's a typical comic book geek thing. They sit there and endlessly debate what's going to happen in the comics and then are surprised when they're right.

Personally, I like it. How do you fight someone who knows you because he is you, but has better toys? Ultimate Scorpion has some nifty weapons built into that suit of his. And I'll be waiting for next issue to see if Spider-Woman is an X-23 of Peter or if it's some sort of "child" of his with MJ, Gwen, or Kitty.

I know from Cup o Joe that they're calling her Jessica Drew, but honestly, if Peter was so inconsequential to the process of having superpowers... why even bother making Scorpion? Why not just find some schmuck and stick the suit on him? Memories aside, a superpowered SHIELD agent would probably wipe the floor with Peter if not for the "good guys always win the war if not the battle" rule.

jtg3885 said:
No offense, but when we get insect-themed villains/heroes/assorted superpeople in a CLONE Saga, what the hell did you expect them to be? We called this like, back when it was announced that Scorpion would even be in the Clone Saga.

I was expecting something less obvious.

Hell, Carnage's identity was less obvious.

Last edited:
jtg3885 said:
*cough*Scorpion*cough*

No, it's a typical comic book geek thing. They sit there and endlessly debate what's going to happen in the comics and then are surprised when they're right.

Personally, I like it. How do you fight someone who knows you because he is you, but has better toys? Ultimate Scorpion has some nifty weapons built into that suit of his. And I'll be waiting for next issue to see if Spider-Woman is an X-23 of Peter or if it's some sort of "child" of his with MJ, Gwen, or Kitty.

I know from Cup o Joe that they're calling her Jessica Drew, but honestly, if Peter was so inconsequential to the process of having superpowers... why even bother making Scorpion? Why not just find some schmuck and stick the suit on him? Memories aside, a superpowered SHIELD agent would probably wipe the floor with Peter if not for the "good guys always win the war if not the battle" rule.

I knew I got Scorpion wrong. We are assuming that SHIELD for all we know this could be OZ Corp doing this cloning.

Lynx said:

They did use Peters DNA for that you know.

Lynx said:

Yet again... "shocking" secret identity... Clone Saga... what else would you expect?
DarthKosh said:
I knew I got Scorpion wrong. We are assuming that SHIELD for all we know this could be OZ Corp doing this cloning.
SHIELD was an example. Hell, what do you think the Wild Pack or some other mercenaries would be capable of if they were genetically augmented to be superior to Spider-Man and given higher-tech weaponry?

jtg3885 said:
Yet again... "shocking" secret identity... Clone Saga... what else would you expect?SHIELD was an example. Hell, what do you think the Wild Pack or some other mercenaries would be capable of if they were genetically augmented to be superior to Spider-Man and given higher-tech weaponry?

What Got from the description of Scorpion is that he was not that stable of a clone. So that could mean he was not finished product but and experament on the way.

We all expected a clone. Just like I was kinda expecting to see Aliens and Predators in AVP.

I'm still kinda intrigued about the who (is behind it) and the why.

Peter/Kitty are falling apart faster than expected. I hope they fix this 'cause if Peter gets back with MJ I'd rather it was as a young adult (basically in a long while). But it doesn't look like it right now. Stick with it Bendis!

E.Vi.L. said:
We all expected a clone. Just like I was kinda expecting to see Aliens and Predators in AVP.

I'm still kinda intrigued about the who (is behind it) and the why.

Peter/Kitty are falling apart faster than expected. I hope they fix this 'cause if Peter gets back with MJ I'd rather it was as a young adult (basically in a long while). But it doesn't look like it right now. Stick with it Bendis!

Kitty and Peter were over when Kitty apeared with Spiderman on the magazine cover.

Since this thread says spoiler in the title, Im gonna skip the spoiler tags unless a mod says otherwise...

jtg3885 said:

I just thought that a shocking reveal of a mystery character in the Clone Saga wasnt that shocking if it was a spidey clone. This would have been par for the course in 616, but the Ultimate line should have higher standards.

And personally I think that people fighting their clones is boring. Hopefully Bendis redeems himself with Death of the Goblin, because I am already giving up on this arc. And I havent even read the first issue, so thats an informed opinion... 8)

You guys put to much thought into things, Scorpion was obviously a Spidey clone. Just look at the cover. They're the same size, and it's the "clone" saga. I think they also purposely made Scorpion's eyes too much like Spider-Man's.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna get the bad out of the way first.

The clone thing does make sense because as J said, "Clone" Saga. But the reveal was weak and the introduction of Ultimate Scorpion was even lamer. I didn't like anything about him. As soon as he started rambling about **** I was completely turned off to the character.

However the rest of the issue, to me, was pretty great. The whole Peter/MJ thing is poking it's ugly head back in and now that she's in danger when she obeyed orders sort've should tell Peter something. And Peter's fight with Kitty was exactly how the relationship between the two is; nothing more than a rebound and "kewl" because they're both superheroes. There are no real feelings. (and a execuse to get comic fanboys to go on and on about how awesome it is to not be 616 and have things different) Go Peter/MJ. Not that I'm all against Kitty/Peter. If they weren't together we would've have gotten the better parts of the issue with Peter struggling through the relationships of his life.

I'm scared to see what happens to MJ. Please don't make her "super" Bendis.

3.5/5 would've been more if Scorpion didn't appear at all.

jtg3885 said:
*cough*Scorpion*cough*

Seeing as Spider Woman was shown in a 616esque outfit in Wizard and slated to be in Ultimates 4, do you think we may be seeing a Spidergirl and SpiderWoman in the Clone Saga? I am interested to see how this all plays out and if Bendis can create a compelling story based off the dreaded clone saga.:?

Zimzallabim said:
Seeing as Spider Woman was shown in a 616esque outfit in Wizard and slated to be in Ultimates 4, do you think we may be seeing a Spidergirl and SpiderWoman in the Clone Saga? I am interested to see how this all plays out and if Bendis can create a compelling story based off the dreaded clone saga.:?

We have been told that we will be seeing them.

Zimzallabim said:
Either SHIELD will be pressing her into service or there will be a different Spider-Woman for U4. But she's mentioned by name (Spider-Woman) as being in the next issue of the Clone Saga. So yeah. o_O

Latest posts

Back