Ultimate Spider-Man #98 Spoilers

Hibiki said:
Oh...

Well then what are you guys talking about? :?

Ultimate Spider-Man #98. See thread title.

Ice, it is so awesome that that letter made it! In the other thread, my response was basically snark, since everyone was all suspicious of the new guy's heaps of praise on The Clone Saga, when naturally, UC is going to get plenty more where that came for after today!

:D

ultimatedjf said:
Ice, it is so awesome that that letter made it! In the other thread, my response was basically snark, since everyone was all suspicious of the new guy's heaps of praise on The Clone Saga, when naturally, UC is going to get plenty more where that came for after today!

:D
Hehehe. :D

Yah know, I was just remembering that Bendis said that, the Tarantula was going to show up before #100. Maybe that's why this Clone, if he is one. Is hiding in the shadows and MJ screaming at the end... maybe he's disfigured or something.

Could be worse....Issue 100 could reveal that Scorpion or Tarantula is really Peter Parker and that Spider-Man is a clone. :roll:

the watcher said:
Ultimate Spider-Man #89 much better than the last issue. It starts off with Reed Richards handing Johnny a test tube of water. Johnny takes a sip. Johnny: It's water. I can see the healine: Doctor Reed Richards, leader of the world famous Fantastic Four, discovered water. Nobel committee in energency session. Reed: I made it from my urine. I saw Mariner (Water World) do it and I wondered if it could be done. :lol: As Sue, Johnny, & Ben yelled at reed. Spidey jumps on to the window with the Scorpion Clone in hand. Reed: "SPIDER-MAN DON'T!", Spidey gets shocked. He wakes up with the Fantastic Four standing over him. Spidey asks if he can trust Reed. Johnny: Dude, I told you after that thing that time- I owe you huge. Reed: Yes of Course. Spidey: I need to know who this is. Reed: We could do a blood test. Spidey: Can you do it without telling anyone? Reed: Tell anyone? Spidey: Can you do it so Nick Fury soesn't know you're doing it? Reed does the test and it matchest Peter Parker 94.2 match. Peter says that can't be. He rips off his mask and says I'm Peter Parker. Later Peter swings home and Aunt May says MJ missing. Peter runs over to the Watson's house. Mary Watson asks Peter if he's seen MJ. They go up to her room. You can see hand and foot prints outside the window. Peter runs to MJ and his special place. Where he runs into Spider-Girl. Peter yells at her to give back MJ. Spider-Girl says she doesn't have her. Peter attacks her. She easily dodges his attack. She knocks him out and says: "I shouldn't have come here. This was my fault. I just had to see this for real. I'll get them back for you, Peter. I'll do it for all of us. We didn't deserve this. She swings off. Peter wakes up, and thinks maybe MJ sneaked into his old house. He jumps overthere and saw a figure go in. He goes in and see's Gwen. Gwen: You Moved? When did you move. Next scene we see MJ waking up. She's in some kind of glass cage. A shadowy figure comes forward and says. Don't do that MJ. Just calm down. MJ: Peter? Peter!!?? What are you doing? Clone: I know how to protect you. I should have thought of this years ago. MJ: Peter, I want out of this! Why did you do this!!?? Clone: Shh! It's okay. I'm going to make sure no one hurts you ever agian. MJ: STOP IT! LET ME OUT!! WERE ARE WE??!! Next page you hear a scream as we're looking at the old Oscorp building.

That does sound like a good issue. I didn't get a chance to pick it up today, but I'll grab it tomorrow. Great summary, by the way, Watcher.

Oh, and if you look at the news letter you see a letter from Luis Casiano (a.k.a. Ice).

That Ice...he's becoming a regular on the Ultimate letter pages.

the watcher said:
QUOTE: Dear Ultimate Office, A few weeks ago. I met Mr. John Barber at the Wizard World Philladeophia Convention (excuse me for using "Mr." as it's something I just do automatically). During one of the panels, someone had asked where certain comics take place, comtinuity and timeline-wise, and Mr. Barber had said he would prepare a timeline. After the panel, I explained to him that one was already made by one of the fans over at www.utimatecentral.com. I'm on that site myself under the member name "Ice". I am a moderator over the whole site.

For the timeline, here is the exact page where it begins: http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4231
Hopefully you guys can use this timeline for helpful uses. Please pass this on to Mr. Barber as well, and let him know that the fan who talked to him about it is me, so he remembers. thank you for listening to some fan
Luis Casiano

Barber: Hey Mr. Casiano, call me John-only the tax man calls me Mr. Barber, and he's just being sarcastic. But thanks a lot for your time and efforts on the website!

Sweet! Total plug for my timeline by Ice on the letters page of USM!

Ice rules.

ProjectX2 said:
If that's the surprise, I'm disappointed, Ice. :(

Screw you, I'm happy with it!

;)

Ice said:
Well, that's not what I expected to see, either.

Still...surprise everyone! This is something we've been holding off as a litte easter egg for all of you since June, actually. :)

I have a total E-boner for you pimpin' my timeline like that. Total sweetness, dude.

Victor Von Doom said:
This was a pretty good issue. It looks as if Bendis was saving all the good stuff for this arc.

But doesn't the F4 already know who Spiderman is? I thought this was established by the UMTU issues featuring them. So why were they all suprised?

Bendis ignores his own continuity. 'Nuff said. Besides, he met with them in the UMTU #9, but that was never considered in continuity. He then meets with them again in the Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special #1, but if I recall correctly he doesn't take his mask off, just asks to join their team. So the Fantastic 4 never learned who he was. Then in USM #68-69, Johnny Storm crossed over into the title and that was when Spider-Man learned he was the Human Torch. I can't recall if he learned Peter was Spider-Man, but even if he did he could be trying to keep it secret as a favor to Peter. After all, he even mentions in this issue that he owed Spider-Man, so its explainable either way.

Hellharlequin said:
UMTU 9 is noncanon

Right.

Ice said:
I assume you mean the USM Special, since that's where we're having continuity problems. UMTU #9 is not in continuity.

Right.

Ultimate Houde said:
What happens in the Anti-Scoop thread, stays in the Anti-Scoop thread

I read this issue (a gasp is heard as Houde admits he read something other than the Ultimates), and I like how it flowed. I think the last two arcs were simply filler for this one.

Thats encouraging for when I pick this up tomorrow. It seems generally well recieved...something that hasn't been said about an USM issue in a long time.

Still waiting to see how Morbius ties into this whole thing though

HA!

Spade said:
I really hope that we get ultimate ben reilly back by issue 100 like Bendis promised us, I know that this arc is pretty much wraping up the big conspiracy sinse USM ! and showing what Ben did with the Parker sample #2 but i want ben to have more of a character and not be one of those characters that had such potential but were ruined like so many of Bendis Characters.

With Ultimate Carnage guaranteed to be back in USM #101, its a good bet Reilly won't be far behind. With this issue's revelation of Oscorp's involvement, I wouldn't be surprised if Norman Osborn, from jail, hired Ben Reilly due to his already possessing blood samples and the Venom specifically for that purpose. Hopefully the reasoning behind it won't be lame, like Osborn was trying to create clones of Peter/Spider-Man so they could wreak havok and destroy his already fragile credibility as a super-hero.

the watcher said:
Yah know, I was just remembering that Bendis said that, the Tarantula was going to show up before #100. Maybe that's why this Clone, if he is one. Is hiding in the shadows and MJ screaming at the end... maybe he's disfigured or something.

Its entirely possible...unfortunately.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Great more throwaway character Spider-Woman, Tarantula, Scorpion all just Parker clones.

Like I said...unfortunately.

Foolsfolly said:
Could be worse....Issue 100 could reveal that Scorpion or Tarantula is really Peter Parker and that Spider-Man is a clone.

:lol:

Thats funny, yet also frightfully possible with Bendis writing it. But worse.

I'm still hoping for the reveal that the Carnage creature somehow became a whole copy of Peter and switched with him during the fight in issue 64, so the Pete we've been reading about since then is the clone.

Since we only ever saw that fight through flashbacks from the surviving "Peter". He could have just been lying. And the Carnage-clone dying by falling down a smokestack was a blatent homage to the original clone saga.

I know that's probably already been discussed, but I really love this theory.

The Clone Saga just seems to be a variety of different comic cliches in one story...

And I'm along for the entire ride - this issue really got me hooked!

There was a lot to digest in this issue... Which was good after the last issue left something to be desired. I liked that Peter actually went to the Fantastic Four with Scorpion... It wasn't a forced appearance by the Four and Peter had a legitimate reason to go them for help. Also, I will admit that Scorpion is being used as an object to perpetuate and solve mysteries throughout the rest of the story. It'll be interesting to see what Reed and Sue find wrong with the Scorpion as opposed to Peter... Which is another good thing about this - I find myself questioning what has become of Peter since he was bitten by the spider. At first, I thought it was a simple enough origin... But it seems like Bendis is busy layering it. That's real cool.

Then we've got Spider-Woman... "Who do I LOOK like?" Good question, really. Sadly, I think the introduction of her suggests that Kitty is Spider-Woman. Peter revealed his feelings for MJ and Spider-Woman reacted to them. She said that she would fix "this" for "all of them". It could be Kitty giving up on Peter and taking up a more heroic role in the story so that she can simply protect what Peter wants most... It may or may not be a stretch depending on how you interpret the rest of Spider-Woman's dialogue... At one point, I thought she was working for Peter's Clone Army, so...

Yeah, so Gwen's return was not that much of a surprise due to the San Diego reveal... I do think that she may actually be the actual Gwen and the Gwen that died was the clone, though. I think who ever is pulling the strings was behind even Carnage and Connors' arrest. I don't know - the fact that all these random things are happening tells me that there is more of a pattern than anything... Especially with Gwen now back in the title. By the way, I found that I wasn't as pissed off as I thought I would be when she was actually back. :roll:

The ending scene where MJ is in a glass tube was interesting, too. I know that it reads like Peter, and MJ would have probably identified his voice... But I can't help but feel this is pretty much revealing that Harry Osborne is behind all of this. I haven't read anyone elses' posts due largely to the fact that there are 3 pages of this discussion already, so I don't know if anyone agrees... But it's a strong possibility. If there are things in the title that are being slightly altered, such as my theory about Gwen not dying but a clone of Gwen's dying, then it's not hard to believe Harry may not have been the Hob Goblin, but a disguised Shaw or something... I don't know, I'm playing with fire right now but I assure you I know what I'm posting. :)

Anyway...

I guess it's just because I never read solicits and such, but I was pleassantly surprised to see the FF in this issue. It was fun. And they'll be beack too, they got the Scorpion!

That was another solid issue.

Now we know for sure the kidnapper is another SPider-Clone thanks to that nice shot from oustide MJ's window (a cinematographic touch, I'd say).

I guess mystery man with MJ is sort of a second Carnage created by Ben Riley from the second sample. He might have gone mad scientist on us, hoping to make a big discovery but it turned on him and now that Carnage Redux has somehow gone amok with the cloning equipment. These clones haven't all turned like he hoped they would, apparently, judging by Spider-Woman.

Goodwill said:
Then we've got Spider-Woman... "Who do I LOOK like?" Good question, really. Sadly, I think the introduction of her suggests that Kitty is Spider-Woman. Peter revealed his feelings for MJ and Spider-Woman reacted to them. She said that she would fix "this" for "all of them". It could be Kitty giving up on Peter and taking up a more heroic role in the story so that she can simply protect what Peter wants most... It may or may not be a stretch depending on how you interpret the rest of Spider-Woman's dialogue... At one point, I thought she was working for Peter's Clone Army, so...

This really doens't look like Kitty's power she was exhibiting. And I mean REALLY doesn't look like them.

Not once does she grow intangible but several time she displays a lot of strenght and agility. How does that sound like Kitty?

Last edited by a moderator:
The powers are throwing people off... And they will. :) No, I had that as part of my argument against Spider-Woman being Kitty but didn't get around to typing it...

And, by the way, thanks for disecting my post for something you found wrong with it. Makes me want to write a lengthy one all over again.

Goodwill said:
And, by the way, thanks for disecting my post for something you found wrong with it. Makes me want to write a lengthy one all over again.

Oh, by the way, your posting your thoughts and arguments towards one thing, and he's posting his thoughts that counteract your though

It's called debating.

You are on a comic book forum, that stuff happens

Get over it.

Goodwill said:
But I can't help but feel this is pretty much revealing that Harry Osborne is behind all of this

Thats a very good point, because IIRC in the original Clone Saga, wasn't Harry supposed to be the mastermind until the writers were forced to make it Norman instead?

So who is the other 5.8% of the clone coming from, genetically?

Osborn? or...

...Osborn...?

hmmmm..... can't think of anyone else it could logically be...

Seems we may have a superboy clone type on our hands...

...I will admit though that this DOES sound better than the last issue, of which I was quite critical.

Latest posts

Back