Ultimate Spider-Man: And his Amazing Friends (#118-120) (Spoilers)

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man #120 discussion [spoilers]

I still loved the issue and the art.

Some of the ideas seem iffy but it is so well-written that I love it. The art is pretty also.

I'm warming to fact that Blob is the father.

I think you are hating on fat people.

as a fat person, i am not hating...rather i am cheering on my brethren!

Blob and Liz's mom being together.

fair enough, i wasnt sure if you were refering to that, or fat people in general...i know your not that kinda guy, but i needed to clarify

Though blob isn't really fat since all the blobyness is his power.

d) why are there dinosaurs in the savage land (in the flashback), when in ultimates 3 it is said that wanda created the dinosaurs when wolverine tried to kill quicksilver?

I'm going to just assume Magneto DID genetically alter a few dinos, and Wanda brought in the rest. It kind fo fits that way.

I'm cool with this in general, even though this was definitely the weakest link in a generally good storyarc.

I want more Spidey team-up issues... They actually address Peter as a character.

i can understand liz disliking mutants if her 'uncle Frank' is the only mutant she knows. Eating all the food in the fridge, breaking through walls, sitting on her dog. Man, i'd hate mutants too.

Hmm...I wonder if she would have a problem hooking up with Johnny Storm now?
Also sort of ironic, perhaps? That she and her potential love interest have essentially the same abilities.

I also like this sort of connection - Blob to Liz to Peter to the X-Men back to Blob. It provides history, character development and a nice little filler story in between the action.

Last edited:

Frank Dukes? Stupid, lazy Bendis. I mean, there's wikis for this sort of thing!

Are we making fun of the name Frank Dukes?

Because if we are......I'd like to show you what happened to the last person messed with Frank Dukes...

jcvd_bloodsport04.jpg

He got his *** handed to him at the Kumite. :lol:

...his names is actually Frank Dux, but it's still pronounced the same. :wink:

In regards to the issue---

I thought it was a sort of weak ending to a pretty damn good arc. And by good I mean fun.

While short on action and deep storytelling, what this arc DID do is answer some longstanding questions and progress some supporting members' status.

Kong
Kong got some nice face time and for once we were able to see him step outta the "Flash sidekick" role. We were shone glimpses of Kong's progressing maturity before but it was always brushed to the side in favor of some random Peter drama.

But now we got see Kong stand up for himself and interject himself directly in the middle of a superhero "gang". This normal, everyday guy....with heroes. And to see Kong call Peter out was great. This was something he figured out way back when. And now we got to see the fruition of his revelation. And it also showed the depth of personal intergrity and character Kong has. This is something he figured out...but he was smart enough to keep it to himself.

Now did he keep it to himself for everyone's saftey at the school or did he keep it to himself because this was a big personal accomplishment in his eyes and he wanted to keep this achievement to himself. ? We may never know. I hope Bendis does something with this revelation and doesn't let it just sit there for another 100 issues.

Liz
If nothing else, this arc explained why Liz has a problem with super powered individuals/mutants.

For the entire series she's hated them....but with no good reason. Now we got it. We now know that she hated them because she didn't know anything about them other than what she was personally exposed to. It's almost like inherited racism.

And it's also now brought Peter and Liz closer.

All in all....a fun arc. Even with the name error.

I've heard people with the name of Fred be referred as 'Frank' being the nickname. Like how people call 'Bobby' to those with the name of Robert. So Bendis didn't screw up. He just went with the nickname.

It's like how Tony is named Antonio and not Anthony. Still the same name, just called differently (though this one is a different language thing, but still similar).

Last edited:

I've heard people with the name of Fred be referred as 'Frank' being the nickname. Like how people call 'Bobby' to those with the name of Robert.

I've never heard that.

Plus, Magneto called him Franklin.

Latest posts

Back