Ultimate Spider-Man Animated Series

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Coming to Disney XD in 2011.

The first big news story to emerge out of the worldwide, TV-focused media conclave that is MIPTV is that Marvel Entertainment has greenlit a new Spider-Man animated series, which will be known, in a reference to the popular modernized chronicle of Spider-Man's adventures that debuted in comic book form in 2000, as Ultimate Spider-Man. The new series will chronicle Peter Parker's transition from a wise-cracking teen to a hero with a definite sense of responsibility who can hold his own with other Marvel superheroes who will join him in this series of animated adventures that is set to debut on the Disney XD Channel in the fall of 2011.

Last edited:
Oh no......What does this mean for Spectacular Spider-Man? :(

******* this sucks. Weisman's Spectacular Spider-Man was so good and it was just getting better as it went.

Last edited:
Well putting aside the problems of SSM ending, let's talk about what obstacles a USM cartoon would face.

A TV series is very different from a comic series, pretty well you need to use all your villains well, you can't have a throwaway villain, because you need a villain to carry a whole episode and you can't just use Green goblin or Doc Ock for every epsiode of the series and they still don't have rights to the Kingpin yet.

In USM, Vulture, Sandman, Scorpion and Shocker and others are merely throwaway villains that never seem to have their own arcs, that doesn't work on a TV show, you need lots of villains that can carry their own episodes.

Plus people are far more familiar with 616 Gobby then Ultimate Gobby, so kids might be confused when Gobby turns into a goblin, instead of just donning a costume.

Well putting aside the problems of SSM ending, let's talk about what obstacles a USM cartoon would face.

A TV series is very different from a comic series, pretty well you need to use all your villains well, you can't have a throwaway villain, because you need a villain to carry a whole episode and you can't just use Green goblin or Doc Ock for every epsiode of the series and they still don't have rights to the Kingpin yet.

In USM, Vulture, Sandman, Scorpion and Shocker and others are merely throwaway villains that never seem to have their own arcs, that doesn't work on a TV show, you need lots of villains that can carry their own episodes.

Plus people are far more familiar with 616 Gobby then Ultimate Gobby, so kids might be confused when Gobby turns into a goblin, instead of just donning a costume.

That's not really a problem.

Alot of cartoons have joke villains and do just fine. Many of whom stick to the "henchmen" role.

Joke villains aren't new for TV shows. Still i wouldn't worry, i doubt they will be that similar.

Last edited:

Just because it shares a name with Bendis' book doesn't mean it will be a straight translation. That would be impossible.

The Overlord said:

I think you're underestimating kids.

I really don't understand how this makes sense for the company.

They have a great show right now that uses the best of all worlds - has some serious nods to the Ultimate U and the 616 U. It already has a following, It already has an ongoing story people have bought into. Why would they start from scratch? And do almost the exact same thing?

This is the third Spider-Man series that only lasted for one year.

arg, i'm so frustrated.

Last edited:
That's not really a problem.

Alot of cartoons have joke villains and do just fine. Many of whom stick to the "henchmen" role.

Joke villains aren't new for TV shows.

Yes, you can have a joke villains, but you still need most of the serious, not just a few.

Look at BTAS, how many joke villains did they have and how many serious villains did you have, heck they took lame villains in BTAS and made them more interesting, like Mr. Freeze and Clcok King. Or look at Superman TAS, all the villains were taken seriously, no matter how silly they were the comics, most them crried more then one episode, they give epsiodes to characters besides Lex Luthor and Darkseid, Parasite got his own episode and he had nothing to do with Luthor, ditto with Toyman.

A joke villain should be in the opening and then you move onto the more serious villain, yeah, maybe someone like Shocker can be an intro villain, but they should have serious villains besides

And just because a character is henchman, doesn't mean they should bland, Ultimate Electro was a very uninteresting henchman. Bullseye is an interesting henchman.

Plus I think Kraven that lasts an whole episode would be more entertaining then a Kraven Spidey defeats with one punch. Plus Kraven should not be a henchman, he should have an episode where he is the solo villain.

One big problem I had with the 90s cartoon, was it seemed that 80% of the villains were just working for the Kingpin, even Dr. Octopus and that became really dull, really quickly.

Frankly I think the rogues gallery in SSM was more interesting then rogues gallery in USM.

ac3f3c860f80fa3a23a036b93f778c99.jpg

Btw, it seems this will be a "Marvel Team-up " type thing.

I kind of want to blame Disney for what happened with Spectacular. They're pretty bad at importing shows (remember Doug?)

While it's pretty mcuh a given about cancellation, I'll try not to let it get to me.

THIS HAD BETTER BE WORTH IT!

Anyway, this seems to be because Sony lost the rights to make TV adaptations of spidey.

I find it funny that a few years ago, we would be making such a huge deal about an Ultimate TV show. Now our biggest concern is what's going to happen to Spectacular Spider-Man.

That's probably going to be the biggest challenge facing this show: convincing Spectacular fans that it's worth watching. Remember how people hated The Batman and Brave and the Bold because it wasn't the DCAU? This is going to be even worse, because the replacement aspect is even more blatant.

Yes, you can have a joke villains, but you still need most of the serious, not just a few.

Look at BTAS, how many joke villains did they have and how many serious villains did you have, heck they took lame villains in BTAS and made them more interesting, like Mr. Freeze and Clcok King. Or look at Superman TAS, all the villains were taken seriously, no matter how silly they were the comics, most them crried more then one episode, they give epsiodes to characters besides Lex Luthor and Darkseid, Parasite got his own episode and he had nothing to do with Luthor, ditto with Toyman.

A joke villain should be in the opening and then you move onto the more serious villain, yeah, maybe someone like Shocker can be an intro villain, but they should have serious villains besides

And just because a character is henchman, doesn't mean they should bland, Ultimate Electro was a very uninteresting henchman. Bullseye is an interesting henchman.

Plus I think Kraven that lasts an whole episode would be more entertaining then a Kraven Spidey defeats with one punch. Plus Kraven should not be a henchman, he should have an episode where he is the solo villain.

One big problem I had with the 90s cartoon, was it seemed that 80% of the villains were just working for the Kingpin, even Dr. Octopus and that became really dull, really quickly.

Frankly I think the rogues gallery in SSM was more interesting then rogues gallery in USM.

But again, you're wrongly assuming it will be exactly the same and it's all just your opinion anyway. As for everyone working for Kingpin in the last show, most villains worked for Tombstone in Spectacular, The Big Bad always has people working for him.

Again, the fact that they will have Nova showing up shows it isn't exactly the same and the whole rogues thing is subjective, especially again, since it wouldn't be exactly the same.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back