Ultimate Spiderman #101 discussion (Spoilers)

I'll start from the first question. It was not so much repeated as it was reverberated. Gwen's death was a hard lesson that he cannot always protect the people he cares about most. However trusting the wrong people would have more repercussions than he expected. That's life. Did this need to be done? Again, from my part, very much so. It's going to help Peter grow up.

had a hard time swallowing this. Was his parents' death and Ben's death and his best friend being a goblin not enought to help him grow up?

I just wanted to pop in and ask--am I the only one who really likes Kaine? Sure, he created She-Goblin, but he's so cute, in a screwed-up way. I mean, he's just kidnapped MJ and he's whining about how Norman Osborn runs his business and giving his little Oz sales pitch. "It's the magic miracle mixture that can give anyone superpowers--yours for 9.99!" He knocked six-arms unconscious in maybe thirty seconds, which is pretty good.

Also, I must say, if his crappy costume-thing is an example of Pete's sowing skills, I can see why he had MJ make all his costumes.

had a hard time swallowing this. Was his parents' death and Ben's death and his best friend being a goblin not enought to help him grow up?
Exactly. How much screwed up crap are they gonna pile on this kid. I don't see anyway that he can go back to being the 'everyman' short of a complete retcon of this story.

To help him grow up? Yes. The only thing to help him grow up? No. As a solo teenage superhero, particularly one who is so sought after by his enemies, they're far more than a few lessons he has to learn. He doesn't really have a guide to help him along so many of his lessons come the hard way. The Fantastic Four have each other, the Baxter Building and Dr. Storm. The X-men have the mansion and Xavier. Peter doesn't have that. He goes home, there's no such security. He has to watch his back more than they do, be more careful. This is all going to help Peter come along.

He's already established Peter as the everyman. He worked plenty of issues for that. Before this whole clone thing happened, he was talking to MJ at the mall (I believe), dealing with his girl problems.
That pised me off becuase I thought he was putting the comic back on track, focusing more on character and not ridiculus plotlines
Suit yourself. However I'm very interested in how this turns out. Also I wouldn't exactly call MJ and Gwen everyone of his friends. I'm pretty sure you might have included Harry too but that was always coming.

Okay so lets add Harry (who was also turned into a monster) and lets also add Kong and Liz Allen for the hell of it. That's it, that's all his friends 4 out of 6 are monsters (I'm including Eddie) and when was the last time we saw Kong or Liz? Basically MJ and Gwen were really his only good friends. The friends being turned into monsters or put in danger is SOOOO played out its not even funny.

What Bendis should be doing is have his superhero and personal life separate and focus on the balance of the two. Peter trying to keep both lives straight. When you have them collide it can either be really dramatic or completely retarded. Goblin throwing Mary off a bridge: dramatic. A ****ed up clone of Peter turning Mary into a she-wolf thing: retarded

I see what you mean by your interested to see what happens next, I understand that. For me its like starring at a car wreck and I'm curious just how much more retarded this can get, cause I know it will.

To help him grow up? Yes. The only thing to help him grow up? No. As a solo teenage superhero, particularly one who is so sought after by his enemies, they're far more than a few lessons he has to learn. He doesn't really have a guide to help him along so many of his lessons come the hard way. The Fantastic Four have each other, the Baxter Building and Dr. Storm. The X-men have the mansion and Xavier. Peter doesn't have that. He goes home, there's no such security. He has to watch his back more than they do, be more careful. This is all going to help Peter come along.

SO if it were you, you're saying that in order to grow up, you can't just have your dad die? But you'll need your mom, your sister, your aunt and uncle, brother and best friend to die too?

i've heard of repetitious but wow. i think we've found bendis on this site.

EDIT: Even with the xmen mansion, that's like saying, "HEY we're all here waiting for Deadpool to come and get us." With peter at least he has this little quiet safe haven. Not many people know where he lives but the world knows where the xmen live.

Last edited:
i've heard of repetitious but wow. i think we've found bendis on this site.
I can see what you're saying but I don't think we need to take it that far.

Omega, I'm sure it's tough dealing with a story that centers around a single character. But you have to pick and choose your battles as a writer you can't just toss everything at someone at once and that makes for a great story. Peter's been through a lot in something like less than 2 years. This doesn't help him grow up anymore than he already has it's overkill.

I can see what you're saying but I don't think we need to take it that far.

Omega, I'm sure it's tough dealing with a story that centers around a single character. But you have to pick and choose your battles as a writer you can't just toss everything at someone at once and that makes for a great story. Peter's been through a lot in something like less than 2 years. This doesn't help him grow up anymore than he already has it's overkill.

Exactly, when things like this happen in such a short amount of time, people go insane. Sorry for the quip btw.

I can accept that bad things would keep happening to a 15/16 year old superhero who has a hard time keeping his identity secret. But it's the scale that I don't like. People are going to die. People are going to get kidnapped. But turned into monsters? Stupid. It takes away from the insane and unique circumstance of Peter having been bit by the spider. That should be the most "out there" part of this book, and things build of that.

Willverine said s/he doesn't mind Gwen being Carange - I disagree. That's just as stupid. Have her get kiled by Carnage? Eh...okay. Given the parameters of this book, that's acceptable. But becoming a mutated monster? No no no no no.

Especially if it's really gwen as carnage. As wierd as it is even now, I would go with Carnage sentience having gwen's memories trying to fill the void that peters supposed to fill but it not working and it trying to join back with peter or go unstable.

Actually Bendis has said that it's only been one year. As of issue 100 Peter turned 16 (although he didn't mention it) and he was 15 at the start. So it's really a ridiculous amount of crap to happen.
I can accept that bad things would keep happening to a 15/16 year old superhero who has a hard time keeping his identity secret. But it's the scale that I don't like. People are going to die. People are going to get kidnapped. But turned into monsters? Stupid. It takes away from the insane and unique circumstance of Peter having been bit by the spider. That should be the most "out there" part of this book, and things build of that.

Willverine said s/he doesn't mind Gwen being Carange - I disagree. That's just as stupid. Have her get kiled by Carnage? Eh...okay. Given the parameters of this book, that's acceptable. But becoming a mutated monster? No no no no no.
Agreed on all points.

Oh, and I think Willverine is a guy. Possibly named Will.

I just wanted to pop in and ask--am I the only one who really likes Kaine? Sure, he created She-Goblin, but he's so cute, in a screwed-up way. I mean, he's just kidnapped MJ and he's whining about how Norman Osborn runs his business and giving his little Oz sales pitch. "It's the magic miracle mixture that can give anyone superpowers--yours for 9.99!" He knocked six-arms unconscious in maybe thirty seconds, which is pretty good.

Also, I must say, if his crappy costume-thing is an example of Pete's sowing skills, I can see why he had MJ make all his costumes.

I liked him better when he seemed somewhat sane, but yes I do like him. I hope they keep him around as a villian..he has the potential to mess Peter's life up like no other ( 616 Kaine got Peter framed for MURDER! ) If nothing else, his feelings for MJ show just how much Peter cares for MJ. I hope we see Peter vs Kaine..it would be a good battle. Though less desirably, a MJ vs Kaine battle would be amusing.
Yes, Peter's sewing skills need work :)

Random said:
Basically MJ and Gwen were really his only good friends.

Are we forgetting Kitty Pryde? As far as I can see, she's not a monster. Friends being turned into monsters or put in danger might be played out to you, but that's always been a part of Spider-man's life. Both the original and ultimate. Always will be.

Bendis is focusing on Peter keeping his superhero and personal life separate, and even better, he is showing his struggle with it. He is also showing how those who care most for him are also struggling with that. I know you guys hated some...well all it seems of the recent arcs but they nevertheless show exactly show Peter trying to keep both lives straight.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Omega, I'm sure it's tough dealing with a story that centers around a single character. But you have to pick and choose your battles as a writer you can't just toss everything at someone at once and that makes for a great story.

It's coming at Peter all at once but that is partly because he has no idea what's going on. But it has been building to this for quite a while. Ever since the events of Carnage.

I wonder at what point this will become the longest Ultimate Spider-Man thread on the INTERNET.

Hmmmm. . .now, while I am very much against MJ becoming a monster, I'm not so sure about Gwen. Gwen being Carnage would have been an interesting twist IF Carnage had been a symbiote (Which I'm actually starting to think that it might be, but that's a different theory of mine altogether) and if she hadn't died. The only problem I can see is what to do with the character. See, the difference between MJ and Gwen is MJ is supposed to be the normal, stable thing in his life while Gwen was supposed to be Peter's greatest failure. It could have been very interesting and unique if Gwen had become a monster as opposed to dying in the Ultimate Universe. This way, she's still his ultimate failure, just in a different way.

The problem, I guess, is why is it stupid for her to become a monster? I understand MJ (As, like I said, she's supposed to be the stable part of Pete's life), but why your aversion to Gwen?

That's what you'd expect... but we'll see, young padawan.

I'll bow before your mighty wisdom if I'm wrong, doctor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back