Ultimate Spiderman #101 discussion (Spoilers)

The problem, I guess, is why is it stupid for her to become a monster? I understand MJ (As, like I said, she's supposed to be the stable part of Pete's life), but why your aversion to Gwen?

Same reason. MJ is not *the* stable part, she's *one of* the stable parts. Gwen is another, as is Aunt May, Uncle Ben (yes, even though he's dead), etc..

Yeah, **** stories don't wash away just because it gets retconned. Especially if you laid down money for it.

I don't care what they call what MJ's turned into. She turned into something, that's the problem.

I don't get how this in and of itself is a bad thing. So MJ should be untouchable? We haven't even see the whole arc play out yet.

I don't get how this in and of itself is a bad thing. So MJ should be untouchable? We haven't even see the whole arc play out yet.
I posted that 23 pages ago. If you wanna know why I think that she shouldn't turn into a big ugly monster (although I think it's pretty obvious) read the rest of the thread.

Same reason. MJ is not *the* stable part, she's *one of* the stable parts. Gwen is another, as is Aunt May, Uncle Ben (yes, even though he's dead), etc..

While I agree that Aunt May is, Gwen and Uncle Ben are not. They both are tragedies in Peter's life, so they can't really be stable parts of his life since they were both meant to destabilize his life.

Last edited:
I liked this issue at first. It's not one of the best ever but it was ok. The art wasn't great for Bags but still pretty good. Seeing Reed fight with Carnage was cool and unexpected. I also thought that Richard was acting strange when he talked to Sue. Repeating that he didn't know what to do struck me as odd and judging from Sues' responce she did too. I guess I just don't trust that this is really Peters' dad. I just wish that some of the things Pete's been faced with lately would get resolved. There seems to be too much going on right now. Still a pretty good story just drug out too long for me.

Overall everythings ok 'till I get to the last couple of pages......NOW THIS IS RIDICULOUS! I knew it would be bad if MJ got powers but this is the worst thing ever to happen to this book. Bendis better have some amazingly spectacular **** planned if he wants to save this story. I want to wait untill the arc is over to judge but I now have major beef with happening.

Oh, one more thing I now think that the female Spider clone is the Ultimate Scarlet Spider due to something I read in the fan letters.

While I agree that Aunt May is, Gwen and Uncle Ben are not. They both are tragedies in Peter's life, so they can't really be stable parts of his life since they were both meant to destabilize his life.

Right, but the destabilization they cause is stabilization. It serves a purpose. The point is that they served their purpose, and beyond that they shouldn't be screwed with.

I agree. If she stays this way, running around rooftops with Peter then I won't be so crazy about it. If she gets back to normal by the time the arc is done, there's no harm as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. If she stays this way, running around rooftops with Peter then I won't be so crazy about it. If she gets back to normal by the time the arc is done, there's no harm as far as I'm concerned.

It won't change Bendis into a better writer if he drags up this plot twist just to throw it out.

He wants to use it? He has to prove to us he can make it work. Otherwise its just ****ty writing.

So it's ok to write crap as long as the crap isn't permenant. Turning her into a Goblin just to change her back no harm, no foul would be even worse storytelling then just turning her into a Goblin and keeping her that way for a while. Now that he's done it, he needs to stick with it. No matter how dumb it is.
It won't change Bendis into a better writer if he drags up this plot twist just to throw it out.

He wants to use it? He has to prove to us he can make it work. Otherwise its just ****ty writing.
Agreed.

Agreed 100%. You don't throw out shocking plot twists then repeal them immediately. It's cheap.

Not really my concern. They're other ways to use the plot twist.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Omega, just so you know I don't trust anyone with a female celebrity as an avatar.

Trust wasn't something I was looking to acquire here. I figured as long as I'm getting the grief I might as well get the gravy.

But see now he has to fit this experience in with her character, kinda like how he had her freaked over the bridge incident and Peter comented she needed someone to talk to like a pyschiatist. He should of gone further with that. But something like this would have absolutely HUGE psychological ramifications on her and would have to effect her as a character from here on out or else, like the good Doctor said, its just ****ty writting. And that's what most of us hate about this, unless she retains no memory of this event is really screws up who she is.

are you -really- just here to argue about this issue?

Actually I'm here to discuss the arc and right now this is the most active part of that discussion. As far as throwing myself to the wolves, that's inevitable but quite manageable. Personally I don't mind if you guys do not like the arc or Bendis. But they're some things I just disagree with.

Random said:
But see now he has to fit this experience in with her character, kinda like how he had her freaked over the bridge incident and Peter comented she needed someone to talk to like a pyschiatist. He should of gone further with that. But something like this would have absolutely HUGE psychological ramifications on her and would have to effect her as a character from here on out or else, like the good Doctor said, its just ****ty writting. And that's what most of us hate about this, unless she retains no memory of this event is really screws up who she is.

The ramifications are exactly what I'm anticipating. After all, I do not see Peter exactly jumping for joy over this himself once he finds out that's been going on as well as everything else that has gone to hell recently. Whether this screws up who MJ is or not is up to the writer. But this is not my worry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back