Ultimate Thor - influence & inspiration

onenewquestion

I recall reading an interveiw or article where our impeccable writers of the Ultimates claimed that their was a real life author that was the basis for our beloved Thor. Could someone be so kind as to tell me the authors name or :D guide me to the article. I would be so obliged!

I'm not entirely sure, but C.S Lewis (Author of the chronicles and narnia, and professor of medieval and renaissance english at oxford university) once posed the question of Jesus Christ that was similar. Asking if he was a Liar, Lunatic, or Lord. This was a logical debate on the possibilities of all of those three things that could apply. It should also be noted that Lewis was once an atheist that became an evangelical christian, it was in the times when he was a christian that this question was explored. Coming to the conclusion that Jesus christ was the real deal.

On a side note, I personally am of the belief that Lewis never actually became a christian, but understood the worth of christianity as a tool to understand the world, and preached about it to educate certain language and behavioural set pieces(that the bible explains well, and in detail through allegory) to society, that he deemed to be a glue of society that was becoming fractured.

Guijllons said:
On a side note, I personally am of the belief that Lewis never actually became a christian, but understood the worth of christianity as a tool to understand the world, and preached about it to educate certain language and behavioural set pieces(that the bible explains well, and in detail through allegory) to society, that he deemed to be a glue of society that was becoming fractured.

I beg to differ. If you read the Screwtape letters and study the metaphors of his Chronicles of Narnia, he is a strong believer in Jesus and Christianity. Besides, you can't really see the worth of Christianity if you're not one. :wink: A good part of the Screwtape letters is criticism regarding Christians themselves, and the criticism is done by someone in the inside, and not from a fault-finding non-believer.

Some additional trivia, he's good friends with Mr.LOTR himself, J.R.R. Tolkein, who's also a Christian. I would try to avoid "Christianizing" any interpretations on his fantasy work though. It's also kind of funny that there's a lot of Christians out there raging against D&D and other fantasy RPGs considering that its obvious inspiration and the great grand-daddy of the fantasy genre is the LOTR series, and I don't see a lot of them making a fuss about the movies or the books.

Last edited:
I disagree, I'm an atheist but see many advantages of an organised religion (and many problems too). And have spoken about a christian revival to the core values many times, again, despite being an atheist.
And yeah, this is my point, he appeared to move from an atheist to an evangelical christian because he believed that it was something worth preaching about, that there were values that he deemed worthy spreading. he has commented much about writers writing too much about personal experience, and how the common experience through literature is of more worth (this in a critique of paradise lost in particular), saying one does not know now how to respond to death, because the response of death has become uncertain, he even remarks that a surgeon friend of his found some pleasure in the pain of a patient. This is one thing that leads me to believe that his literary concerns, and social concerns are one and the same. And that through common experiences we can understand the world about us to a greater level, by 'learning to make' set pieces that apply to this common experience, rather than detracting from the essence of good writing by adding the superfluous fluff of personal experience. From this I surmise that he essentially lied about his christianity to better get the message across. though this is just an opinion. But an informed one. :)

I recommend to you guys The Life of Pi... It's a great book that explains religion as we know it and how it comes down to God.

Ummm, back to the topic at hand, does anyone know of the interview or article I'm talking about. I know that Millar refered someone by the name of Michael. I even crossed referenced the writer at the time, but forgot to write or print any info. So If I could be led back to any such information, I would appreciate it. :evil:

Guijllons said:
From this I surmise that he essentially lied about his christianity to better get the message across.

You'll find most Athiest scientists who spend there life trying to prove christianity doesnt exist become believers themselves, the Bible holds too much evidence. (I know hes not a scientist, but im just saying it could happen to him too)

Just my 2 cents

Nurhachi said:
Is that some kind of cereal or something?
:D

Agnosticism is a variant of atheism but its more passive. Basically, if your an agnostic, you don't really give a rats about religion.

Wait, wait... Atheist belief is when you don't believe in God. They believe in the more analitical, more black and white answer to things while agnostics, doubt God and are skeptic of God and do not know where they fall in terms of believing. They give a rats about religion, they just don't fit in with them.

No no no no.

Atheism, true atheism is the active disbelief in God. Scientists who try and disprove the existence of God are, by definition, atheists.

Agnosticism is the disinterest in religion. Basically, as far as your concerned, religion will sort itself out and so will you.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Not at all. Think about the kid who just doesn't go to church but believes there is a God(s) looking over him. Compared to the kid who speaks out and says he doesn't believe in God and only believes in the science of it all.

Good example for atheism. Maybe agnosticism is better expressed as the kid who doesn't care about church and goes to a party instead.

I was actually talking about what I said and what Cad said being the same thing... But if it wasn't the same thing, I'm getting the idea.

Latest posts

Back