Ultimate X-Men #56 discussion (SPOILERS)

Goodwill

I just wanted to start this thread early for those of you who got it early in the mail and for those of us who still have to wait for it tomorrow...

What are you guys expecting out of this issue?

Alright guys... If you didn't think spoilers in the title was enough you've been warned here!

Now, the issue was a terrific read, let me just say. The art was at its best this issue and the writing and plot are, as usual since Vaughan came on board, magnifiscent! I really can not imagine Vaughan leaving this title any time soon! The only thing, though, is that Vuaghan killed off Blink before we ever got a chance to see her!

Anway, the issue followed the two seperate X-Men teams again. First, We find out that Scott's group has been attacked by a mutant who actually framed Longshot so that what she has done for the mutant community in Genosha stays the way it is. Like I said, there's a small mutant following that she has and they are fine with what they have... Even if it isn't much. Both Scott and Iceman begin to fight her as Kitty takes Jean away while she wakes up again.

The other group is being greeted by Longshot and they start to head out to find Angel, who, at the X-Jet, is capture by a group of people.

We get back to the fight where Scott's glasses have shattered and Iceman is down and out... Kitty is knocked unconcsious by Spiral and Jean as Phoenix comes and takes care of her. One thing that we need to take note here is that Scott doesn't think when Jean is the Phoenix that she is at all Jean, if that makes sense. Also, Jean still doesn't seem to know how to control her powers. Spiral is taken down and interrogation begins.

We cut back to the other group of X-Men led by Colossus and we find that Mojo wants Longshot back or Angel will be clipped.

Like I said a good issue, BUT I don't like the following...

The fact that Arcade was only spotlighted in one issue really kind of peeves me. He was shaping up to be a cool character and, to leave him on a tree is really leaving me hanging because, lets face it, he's a casualty to the X-Men and he's going to stay there for a while...

Another thing is the fact that Colossus' preference is coming to a head. Dazz actually is more direct than ever about it and while NC responds that he's normal, you still get the feeling that he is gay because he favored Longshot and said "I like your boots" implying that he's a little sensative, if you know what I mean. I would really like it if that was cut out because he's this tough as nails guy now, but he's still wondering about Longshot's boots... While he does that, Longshot's preference is also questioned, which is just great... Anyway, that's my problem.

Also, how on Earth did Mojo find out where the X-Men were?

Last edited:
Goodwill said:
I just wanted to start this thread early for those of you who got it early in the mail and for those of us who still have to wait for it tomorrow...

What are you guys expecting out of this issue?

Alright guys... If you didn't think spoilers in the title was enough you've been warned here!

Now, the issue was a terrific read, let me just say. The art was at its best this issue and the writing and plot are, as usual since Vaughan came on board, magnifiscent! I really can not imagine Vaughan leaving this title any time soon! The only thing, though, is that Vuaghan killed off Blink before we ever got a chance to see her!

Anway, the issue followed the two seperate X-Men teams again. First, We find out that Scott's group has been attacked by a mutant who actually framed Longshot so that what she has done for the mutant community in Genosha stays the way it is. Like I said, there's a small mutant following that she has and they are fine with what they have... Even if it isn't much. Both Scott and Iceman begin to fight her as Kitty takes Jean away while she wakes up again.

The other group is being greeted by Longshot and they start to head out to find Angel, who, at the X-Jet, is capture by a group of people.

We get back to the fight where Scott's glasses have shattered and Iceman is down and out... Kitty is knocked unconcsious by Spiral and Jean as Phoenix comes and takes care of her. One thing that we need to take note here is that Scott doesn't think when Jean is the Phoenix that she is at all Jean, if that makes sense. Also, Jean still doesn't seem to know how to control her powers. Spiral is taken down and interrogation begins.

We cut back to the other group of X-Men led by Colossus and we find that Mojo wants Longshot back or Angel will be clipped.

Like I said a good issue, BUT I don't like the following...

The fact that Arcade was only spotlighted in one issue really kind of peeves me. He was shaping up to be a cool character and, to leave him on a tree is really leaving me hanging because, lets face it, he's a casualty to the X-Men and he's going to stay there for a while...

Another thing is the fact that Colossus' preference is coming to a head. Dazz actually is more direct than ever about it and while NC responds that he's normal, you still get the feeling that he is gay because he favored Longshot and said "I like your boots" implying that he's a little sensative, if you know what I mean. I would really like it if that was cut out because he's this tough as nails guy now, but he's still wondering about Longshot's boots... While he does that, Longshot's preference is also questioned, which is just great... Anyway, that's my problem.

Also, how on Earth did Mojo find out where the X-Men were?

Sounds like an awesome issue, I can't wait to get this tomorrow.

What'd I tell ya about Angel's wings gettin' clipped?? I hope it happens.

As for Arcade I don't know villains like him being spotlighted in only one issue or two. He's not a main villain and we don't need every X-Villain to be major. It's all right with me.

Well anyway, I'll talk more about it tomorrow

On the last page, it would see, that Angel's in a bit of trouble with his wings, but I'll let you see for yourself tomorrow... I hope you all get it fast, too! I want to talk about this, especially about Colossus.

Goodwill said:
The only thing, though, is that Vuaghan killed off Blink before we ever got a chance to see her!

When did this happen? As far as I know, she was alive as of New Mutants and I don't remember reading that she'd died since.

Read the page right after Iceman says "...You are so about to get owned." to Spiral in the beginning where Mojo and Domo are talking. Domo says that since the live feed is inoperable they are playing an episode where Blink is getting killed off. With Vaughan you have to pay attention to small details!

I haven't got the issue (Foreign country, cold turkey off comics). You mentioned it before your summary though so I thought it might have been in something else I missed

Dammit! What do main universe writers have against BLINK!!!! She was killed within like 4 issues during the Phalanx Covenant in 616, She appeared once in a picture in UU. She is also the single most popular AoA character and is pretty much the same in Exiles. this is aboutthe first time I am not ahppy with Vaughn.

Do they call her Blink?

It could have just been an Artist reference if not...

But I agree, Blink is one of my all-time favorite mutants

Goodwill said:
Read the page right after Iceman says "...You are so about to get owned." to Spiral in the beginning where Mojo and Domo are talking. Domo says that since the live feed is inoperable they are playing an episode where Blink is getting killed off. With Vaughan you have to pay attention to small details!

That should unfortunately answer your question. With Blink's powers however, a return is always a possibility.

Yeah, they definitely bold and put the "B" in uppercase of the word Blink so I'm thinking it's the character.

I'll say this: I think that, in some ways, restricting characters from the title is a good thing.

Yes, I know where you were coming from but couldn't he have resticted a character I don't like`?

Goodwill said:

I don't understand how everyone is so worked up about Blink being killed off. She is not dead. Reasons:
a. There is no panel that shows a pink mutant by the name of Clarice Ferguson (is that right?) being killed. Blink is only a name. Nothing more. It could be anyone from some fat three-eyed freak to Clarice's sister. Any writer who wants to use Blink can and not even worry about the events of UX #56 to do it. It's just a name (remember in 616, there were three Thunderbirds).
b. As far as I know, the only established characters in UX who are dead or have died are Beast, Proteus, and Psylocke. The rest showed a nameless picture or a pictureless name. Marrow is not dead. Synch is not dead. Blink is not dead. Any writer can bring any of these characters into their story when they feel like it.
c. This is Vaughan's third arc. We've already seen two different versions of Spiral. Nuff said!

BTW, this issue was awesome. Hope Iceman's sudden power boost isn't left unexplained. And I hope Singer delays his writing this book so Vaughan could stay on longer.

You can't shake the fact that Vaughan intended THE Blink to be dead by asying, that Rod (I'm calling you Rod because we already have an Ice ;))

IcyFlames said:
c. This is Vaughan's third arc. We've already seen two different versions of Spiral. Nuff said!

Are you talkin about the carny from Cry Wolf. I just picked that up today too and noticed her.

Anyway I picked up 56 and I thought.... Well it wasn't great, it was good though.

They're definitely throwing Colossus sexuality into the spotlight here. Is Longshot homosexual too?

I hope they refer to the underprivledged mutants as the Ultimate Morlocks.

Pheonix is playing a huge part anymore, with Jean. It's taking her over, I think (if it already hasn't).

Angel should get his wings clipped... I want my Apocolypse Prochecies to come to life.

I don't mind Arcade's shorten run. I think minor enemies are good, we don't need villains coming back over and over unless they're the bigger threats... Arcade didn't even die so he could come back somewhere.

Iceman + Kitty.. It'll happen.

I don't know if Dazzler is going to stay on the X-Men for that long... she really has no friends....

I'm mad Longshot won't be joining the X-Men... I was hopeing he would but frm this issue it looks like he's going to stay home. But who knows...

Why isn't Nightcrawler, tougher? He's former WeaponX for christ's sake....

Goodwill said:
You can't shake the fact that Vaughan intended THE Blink to be dead by asying, that Rod (I'm calling you Rod because we already have an Ice ;))

Vaughan may have intended for Blink to be dead, and if he writes the next 200 issues of UX, you may never see Blink in those 200 issues. But when there's a writer, then there's hope.

But personally, I don't think we'll see an Ultimate Blink for a long time. There are still other characters in the X-mythos who we haven't dealt with (Cannonball, Jubilee, Banshee/Siryn, Bishop...one picture of a black guy doesn't constitute that it was in fact Bishop). Once some of our current characters are overdue for change and another writer overzealously wants to write in Blink, then it will be done. Who knows how long that will happen.

TheManWithoutFear said:
They're definitely throwing Colossus sexuality into the spotlight here. Is Longshot homosexual too?

Perhaps he's bisexual, which would make for a very weird love triangle among Colossus/Longshot/Dazzler.

I hope they refer to the underprivledged mutants as the Ultimate Morlocks.

:)

Pheonix is playing a huge part anymore, with Jean. It's taking her over, I think (if it already hasn't).

Can't wait to see Dark Phoenix.

Angel should get his wings clipped... I want my Apocolypse Prochecies to come to life.

It feels too soon for the Angel of Death to show up. He's shown up only recently and hasn't had enough panel time to get my sympathy (asides from the fact that he didn't want to be on that island in the first place).

I don't mind Arcade's shorten run. I think minor enemies are good, we don't need villains coming back over and over unless they're the bigger threats... Arcade didn't even die so he could come back somewhere.

At least Arcade has a reason to hate the X-Men on a more personal level and could wreek havoc on the X-Men in the future.

Iceman + Kitty.. It'll happen.

Yay!!!

I don't know if Dazzler is going to stay on the X-Men for that long... she really has no friends....

Colossus and Dazzler were friends...until a man came between them.

I'm mad Longshot won't be joining the X-Men... I was hopeing he would but frm this issue it looks like he's going to stay home. But who knows...

At least the team number won't be increasing. Low numbers equal more character development and panel time.

Why isn't Nightcrawler, tougher? He's former WeaponX for christ's sake....

He was just stabbed. How tough does the guy need to be? He's not Wolverine.

IcyFlames said:
Perhaps he's bisexual, which would make for a very weird love triangle among Colossus/Longshot/Dazzler.

Woah, we're just gettin' used to the fact that he's gay in the first place. I think a threeway's a little much.

IcyFlames said:
It feels too soon for the Angel of Death to show up. He's shown up only recently and hasn't had enough panel time to get my sympathy (asides from the fact that he didn't want to be on that island in the first place).

Like I said it'll be a graduall process

IcyFlames said:
At least the team number won't be increasing. Low numbers equal more character development and panel time.

Am I the only guy who feels I know enough about some of these characters to actually have progressing plots?

IcyFlames said:
He was just stabbed. How tough does the guy need to be? He's not Wolverine.

I don't know I just thought he'd be more mature than he's appearing. Same with Rogue although she's made her own decisions.

Ok, so whoever said Angel's wings were clipped off, was sooo way off. His wings were just pinned to a wall, not clipped. Big difference.

Also, I just gotta say that what Vaughan did with Iceman was really cool. He made him do something that Iceman has not, and to this day does not do in his ice state. And that is strecth his 'skin' in his ice state. Iceman was only able to actually do this in the AoA event, in which Magneto had a helping hand in that. The issue was very cool, but I still don't like the way that Immonen draws Bobby. It was great seeing the Phoenix show up again, this time taking over Jean a bit.

And JUST LIKE I SAID, Spiral is the one who killed Count Sheele, and framed Longshot! BOOYAA!

Latest posts

Back