Ultimate X-Men #56 discussion (SPOILERS)

It was a list of people who are dead or have died. I know Psylocke came back in #32, but Betsy, or at least the body is dead. Besides, it was just a rant about why Blink (Clarice) is not dead.

Well, in this issue and a few of the others, Vaughan has disposed of characters or implied their existance so he doesn't have to work them into a plot... They are there (Or dead) So fans don't really have to worry.

Now, the only problem now is, instead of showing a character with the likeness to one in the 616 universe, Vaughan uses a codename without an image... This is too much.

Guys. A codename is just a codename. All it means is that Vaughan will never use Blink during his run. The name Blink can be used again at any point. There are how many mutants in the world? Would it seem farfetched if two used the same codename?

And if the so-called Blink was on the island, it's possible that she could have made everyone (the cameras) believe she was dead. All I'm saying is don't be so down about Blink being dead, cause she's not dead. Be disappointed that Vaughan will never use Blink, since he's doing such a great job and I would love for him to stay on for so much longer.

IcyFlames said:
Guys. A codename is just a codename. All it means is that Vaughan will never use Blink during his run. The name Blink can be used again at any point. There are how many mutants in the world? Would it seem farfetched if two used the same codename?

Disagreed, it's my understanding the number of mutants is somewhere in the hundreds... that's a handful considering the world's population. It cheapens any character if they're are two useing the same codename. I believe the Blink referred to in issue #56 was the Blink that we're familiar with.

IcyFlames said:
And if the so-called Blink was on the island, it's possible that she could have made everyone (the cameras) believe she was dead. All I'm saying is don't be so down about Blink being dead, cause she's not dead. Be disappointed that Vaughan will never use Blink, since he's doing such a great job and I would love for him to stay on for so much longer.

Agreed, I think, considering her powers that it's possible that she shows up somewhere down the line.

HulkSmash said:
Disagreed, it's my understanding the number of mutants is somewhere in the hundreds... that's a handful considering the world's population. It cheapens any character if they're are two useing the same codename.
Riiiiight. There are so many mutants in the world, and you think that there might not be any two with the same codenames? :?

HulkSmash said:
I believe the Blink referred to in issue #56 was the Blink that we're familiar with.
Well, how do you know that? Do you have proof? A picture? A real name? Without concrete evidence, you can't be sure. :wink:

icemastertron said:
Riiiiight. There are so many mutants in the world, and you think that there might not be any two with the same codenames? :?

Yeah, I thought I heard somewhere that they're were only like hundreds of "known" mutants in the world. As for the codename thing you think just because you're a mutant means you get a codename at birth? I thought only Brotherhood, X-Men, and assuming other "organized" mutant groups (i.e. Spiral) right now have codenames. It's in theory a symbol of seperating a mutant from the human race. I'm sure there are mutants who don't have codenames because they don't want to be seperated (i.e. Geldoff, U. Douglas Ramsey, U. Northstar). Not all of them have codenames and there's fewer than what you think. I will admit the whole point of the X-Titles (any of them) is that they're now growing in number but we're to assume we're in the earliest stages of this evolutionary Boom, so I say in the hundreds and two Blinks is a coincidence.

icemastertron said:
Well, how do you know that? Do you have proof? A picture? A real name? Without concrete evidence, you can't be sure. :wink:
No proof, just building on my first theory and speculating. :D

The evolution boom is starting...so a Clarice could pop up in the future. And this Clarice could take on the codename Blink (being that the codename Blink is currently vacant at the moment).

I'm just trying to give you Blink fans hope. Personally, I don't think (regardless of what transpired in #56) that Blink was ever going to appear in UX. I don't feel like she'd fit with the rest of the team. She worked out just well in AoA and in Exiles, but UX, I don't know. Plus I'm a little skeptical of how she would be written in UU. Her character in AoA/Exiles is great and flawless in my opinion. Why try to fix something that not broken? Every character in the UU needed some sort of upgrade or makeover. I don't think Blink needs any of that.

Of course this is a pointless statement since so many of you believe that she's already dead, so I won't say anymore. Plus, to show sympathy for many of you fans, had Millar done the same thing with Gambit from the very beginning, I would be complaining just as much or even more.

icemastertron said:

Ice, what he's trying to say is that Vaughan DID intend for that Blink to be Clarice Ferguson, however, since he didn't use that name, that Blink is still open for other writers to use, not that they would... Out of all the characters, why would they use her?

Anyway, let's talk... If the X-Men are going to find Mojo's palace, how are they going to go about it? LS knows the island pretty well and I don't think he's come across it yet, so it should be interesting... It may be that Vaughan just makes NC teleport them up there into the room since he's seen it before.

Also, will Cyclops' team reunite with Colossus' to settle this problem?

Another question that's probably better for another thread is if the one shot with Xavier after this is actually happening during the X-Men's trip to Genosha. That would explain why the X-Men were never mentioned in the solicitation...

IcyFlames said:
Her character in AoA/Exiles is great and flawless in my opinion. Why try to fix something that not broken? Every character in the UU needed some sort of upgrade or makeover. I don't think Blink needs any of that.

?? Why do people say this? Spiderman didn't need to be touched. Half of the X-Men didn't need to be given a makeover, The Avengers didn't need to be called the Ultimates. I'm not saying Ultimizing anyone doesn't hurt them but cmon guys, the most successful Ultimate characters are the popular 616 characters unchanged for the most part. So that argument is bunked right now. If Blink was perfect in AoA than she could come into the Ultimate Universe unchanged.

Goodwill said:
Ice, what he's trying to say is that Vaughan DID intend for that Blink to be Clarice Ferguson, however, since he didn't use that name, that Blink is still open for other writers to use, not that they would... Out of all the characters, why would they use her?
I know what he was trying to say. I'm just saying what I think on what he said.

TheManWithoutFear said:
?? Why do people say this? Spiderman didn't need to be touched. Half of the X-Men didn't need to be given a makeover, The Avengers didn't need to be called the Ultimates. I'm not saying Ultimizing anyone doesn't hurt them but cmon guys, the most successful Ultimate characters are the popular 616 characters unchanged for the most part. So that argument is bunked right now. If Blink was perfect in AoA than she could come into the Ultimate Universe unchanged.
It's not that some characters needed to be touched or whatever. Is that those titles had A LOT of history in 616, with A LOT of continutity mess. So they got their own title in the 616.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:

Spider-Man has 40 years of history and events that needed to never happen (Clone Saga anyone?). Plus his best villians were lame and continuously coming back from the dead (I thought Osborn & Doc Ock were dead when I stopped reading). Him and MJ even had a kid (I never knew what happened with that, nor do I care). They needed a new start. Same with X-Men. How many times has Magneto died in 616? What about Jean? And the Ultimates seem to be much more interesting than the Avengers. These books needed a fresh start. There was so much backstory and continuity problems with these characters that writers couldn't do as much as they could with new characters. Try to do a timeline of Wolverine's life; it's impossible. This was necessary.

With Blink though, she was associated with AoA. There weren't that much that dealt with her. We have whichever issues she was in for AoA, her mini, and now Exiles. Blink is still a fresh character. There is still much to explore with her. Is it necessary to Ultimize her? Not really. It might be enjoyable to have a Ultimate Blink but we don't need one.

Here's a thought...

Wouldn't it be cool if some fresh character marvel came out with met up with an old character? Get it? The ultimate universe is a chance where some character that was thought up in the 90's can find it's place with a character created in the 60's ... get what I'm on about here? I Do not care if Blink is not needed or if she doesn't have any junk continuity baggage... don't leave out new characters like that. The Ultimate Universe is a perfectly good excuse to have the old and new character mix. Someday they're gonna throw a character like blink into the mix and everyone's gonna be scratchin' their heads and say oh it's too early for her well it's not the 616 kids... It's a universe of it's own.

Keep speculation to a minimum and stay focused on this issue, please. Thanks.

Regarding those people who capture Angel, I find it intriguing that they were stalking him on top of some trees. They're remarkably agile for regular henchmen... Ultimate Warwolves anyone? :wink:

It's possible since they were in the Mojo-verse in the 616 universe. I think that's the best explanation of those guys that I've heard... Excellent!

cmdrjanjalani said:
Regarding those people who capture Angel, I find it intriguing that they were stalking him on top of some trees. They're remarkably agile for regular henchmen... Ultimate Warwolves anyone? :wink:

I read a little bit about them from the internet. You have a good point. When I saw them I didn't know what to think. I'm surprised no one mentioned it sooner.

Theory

First about Blink, wasn't she in the running for Emma's mutant group? So that makes her American... so why would she be on the show?

On to my Theory...

Solicts say that Longshot is more than he appears or something...

All right, so Spiral kills Lord Scheele to help the mutant cause. How does that help the mutant cause exactly? Here's what I think.

Lord Scheele was running an anti-mutant platform and Spiral kills him so that human/mutant relations don't get worse but remain as the status quo. She frames one mutant, Longshot. The people of Genosha don't go after the mutant community but just one single mutant.

The Revealation:

Spiral and Longshot are working together. Why set up Longshot? Because knowing his powers we also know that he is safe on the island because the man can't be killed or has a hard time getting killed. Get what I'm on about?

So in Ultimates we have Ultimate Bill Bixby. In UXM we have Ultimate David Gale.

TheManWithoutFear said:
First about Blink, wasn't she in the running for Emma's mutant group? So that makes her American... so why would she be on the show?

She was not necessarily an American. She only appeared in 616 as one of the mutants the Phalanx kidnapped. She was the only fatality (apart from Harvest whom she broke into little tiny pieces) and all the others wen't on to become Generation X. We do not however know she was an American. She was pink though.

In #55, MwoF, it was said that Scheele was on of the few elected officials to actually denounce the mutant prohibition on Genosha, so you're theory is, frankly, garbage.

I think that Spiral simply has the mentality that only the strong survive and sent LS away because he was the weak link in her strong mutant faction, growing in Genosha.

Or, it could be that Spiral set LS up because she knew that he wouldn't perish too quickly, buying her time to make her next move. When the X-Men intervene, trouble really gets started and, before she can act on anything, it's foiled by the X-Men.

How 'bout them apples? ;)

TheManWithoutFear said:
All right, so Spiral kills Lord Scheele to help the mutant cause. How does that help the mutant cause exactly? Here's what I think.

I like it. :D

Latest posts

Back