Ultimate X-Men #64 (Discussion/spoilers).

How would you rate this issue

Votes: 14 48.3%

Votes: 10 34.5%

Votes: 3 10.3%

Votes: 1 3.4%

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
E.Vi.L. said:
In Tomorrow people, we see her gathering energy for more Hexes and presumably about to point as she always does to release more. She is in fact in my opinion in a comic "pitcher" pose, as the drawing imply she is about to throw something toward a target, or at least forcefully turn toward it. Look at the way she holds her body ; Not the posture of choice for someone who doesn't need to use her body to target her attacks as it's rather uncortable. But is a posture that can be used by the artist to convey motion.

But hey, if she doesn't need to point, if she only needs to "think" to make an hex appear anywhere she wants... Then she must be awfully slow witted to keep missing Wolverine! What theory do you prefer?

We don't see her gathering energies and shooting in the same panel in this sequence. In any panel where the effect is immediate (The casting of the hex and the target being hit by it occurs in the same panel) she is always pointing. Like in UXM 62 and 64.

In Weapon X she obviously already did her trick when she reveals the implant. She did it off panel, most likely before the power went down.

EDIT : The fact that she needs to target (and is not that good a shot, btw), explain perfectly why she did squat against Thor. I'm certain that if she had tagged him with an Hex she could have cut the fight short... But she likely would have needed to get closer for that and if even Quicksilver had trouble approaching, what were her chance of getting close enough for an Hex without getting blasted by a lightning bolt? Plus, with all the team mates in the way, risk of friendly fire would have been very high.

I never said she didn't have to gather the energies. I'm just saying that she could use the energy without pointing.

UltimateScarletWitch said:
I never said she didn't have to gather the energies. I'm just saying that she could use the energy without pointing.

That's what you gather from my post?

Right then, so we are down to the theory that Scarlet is too slow witted to hit a moving target. Because if she doesn't need to point and fire, then only a defective brain can explain missing, right?

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
That's what you gather from my post?

Right then, so we are down to the thoery that Scarlet is too slow witted to hit a moving target. Because if she doesn't need to point and fire, then only a defective brain can explain missing, right?

Unbeknownest to the Brotherhood and the X-Men, Dr. Strange was off in the distance....

Okay, she doesn't have to point, but the energy still has to travel from her tot he target. And besides, if she hit the car, that would have been the end of it. No more rescue, lame and the prez would have read the read-the-riot act on the X-Men, NOT ending the sentinel initiative and yeah, I'm done explaining.

Right, we'll resume this discussion when you show me a clear instance of Scarlet Witch using her power without the assistance of her hands.

E.Vi.L. said:
Right then, so we are down to the theory that Scarlet is too slow witted to hit a moving target. Because if she doesn't need to point and fire, then only a defective brain can explain missing, right?

Sounds like somebody besides Tony Stark needed that brain body more.

UltimateE said:
Sounds like somebody besides Tony Stark needed that brain body more.

I'm getting a "I don't like UIM" vibe...

Speaking of which, why would brain cancer kill Tony Stark?

Meh, I'm off-topic.

This issue was sort of weak, I thought. First, I thought it was too forced for it to be a smart issue... Every character seemed to be stupid in this entire situation. I understand that this is all part of Magneto's master plan, but seriously... Havok and Northstar were overwhelmed yet they still were able to get past the Ultimates... Angel and Dazzler blatantly ignore their teammates getting stomped because they see two people sneaking into the Trisklelion... Furthermore, it just seemed to me that the Ultimates and the X-Men are more of a hindrance when together than anything, which shouldn't be. They need to be professional and, I know this is a comic and there is reasonable angst between the two teams, but seriously. I can't wait for next issue, though, Vaughan's set it up for a good conclusion!

Goodwill said:
This issue was sort of weak, I thought. First, I thought it was too forced for it to be a smart issue... Every character seemed to be stupid in this entire situation. I understand that this is all part of Magneto's master plan, but seriously... Havok and Northstar were overwhelmed yet they still were able to get past the Ultimates... Angel and Dazzler blatantly ignore their teammates getting stomped because they see two people sneaking into the Trisklelion... Furthermore, it just seemed to me that the Ultimates and the X-Men are more of a hindrance when together than anything, which shouldn't be. They need to be professional and, I know this is a comic and there is reasonable angst between the two teams, but seriously. I can't wait for next issue, though, Vaughan's set it up for a good conclusion!

Good points Goodwill.

DIrishB said:
Good points Goodwill.

Well, thank you. I honestly thought I was going to get hounded for critisizing Vaughan. He's my boy, but this issue was written a little sloppily in my opinion. This does not affect my opinion that this is shaping up to be the best UXM arc yet, though, so please do not grill me.

Goodwill said:
Well, thank you. I honestly thought I was going to get hounded for critisizing Vaughan. He's my boy, but this issue was written a little sloppily in my opinion. This does not affect my opinion that this is shaping up to be the best UXM arc yet, though, so please do not grill me.

No I agree, I love Vaughan too but the points you made were some of the things I was wondering about, and some I didn't even pick up on. But like you said overall this arc is killer and I'm expecting the last issue of it to rock harder than Hendrix.

Yeah, things just seemed dumb for some reason. Like, Tony Stark read like Tony Danza this issue. :) That's how crazy stupid it was in my opinion.

TheManWithoutFear said:
That's what you have to find out... Only Mr. Vaughan knows.

Or whatever writer decides to take that up... I think we're just trying too hard to make Gambit and Sinister significant. What remains of Gambit is left in Rogue and should stay that way.

Goodwill said:
Or whatever writer decides to take that up... I think we're just trying too hard to make Gambit and Sinister significant. What remains of Gambit is left in Rogue and should stay that way.

Why? Thats kind of pointless. I really don't think Vaughan intended for Rogue's mind to permanently house two personalities.

Goodwill said:
Sorry Goodwill but you're wrong. It might not be tied up but it will definitely be brought up again. A dead bodies a dead body. There has to be some meaning to them taking Gambit's body away.

anyone who disagrees can stick it because they didn't take Beast's body and they didn't take the massacre mutants. Gambit's special somehow.

Latest posts

Back