Ultimate X-Men 68 (Discussion/Spoilers)

E.Vi.L.

Teenage sex! What are the people of good morals going to think!?

Xavier and Lilandra

Xavier lock her down and put the rest of the restaurant in loop so he can grill her about the Phoenix.

Turns out the Hellfire Club was a splinter of the Shiar who wanted to control the Phoenix. The Shiar see him as a force of change and improvement. She talks about a primal force that kickstarted life in the cosmos but then was eventually captured and restrained by an old race that had become quite advanced and wanted to control their fate. I'm not sure why. I mean, if Phoenix is really only a force for change, it seems weird to spend a thousand years and bottomless ressources just to capture it and remove it from the equation. The Phoenix must have been more invasive in its influence than the Shiar wants to admit.

Anyway they needed a prison because he couldn't be destroyed. And the prison agregated matter around itself and became... Earth! According to the Shiar, the Phoenix is Earth's core!!!

They better be just deluded fanatic...

Cyclops and Jean

Not much. Cyclop give a lame line about whether or not is assertive enough and Jean says she'll give him an evaluation in a month. They are in bed. But Jean is still dress so...

Rogue and Bobby

Just as lame except Rogue is naked in bed (covered by the sheet). Tsssk. What are they, 15? What a terrible influence on our youth this Kirkman is turning out to be.

Anyway, they are officially back together.

Wolverine & Storm & Sabertooth

He says his piece, says he remembers his mom. And just as Wolverine seems almost interested enough to listen, he says he said his piece and attacks. And take a chunk of Wolverine's side but they are swiftly separeted when Storm gets a clean shot in. Sabertooth flees and Wolverine accpets Ororo's help with surprisingly little macho crap. They just might work out as a couple, who knows.

Wolverine goes back to base. Turns out Dr Cornelius survived after all. And his uite defigured by the chopper crash. He wanted a sample of Wolverine's DNA because he wants to create his own... Logan clone saga? Cornelius ask what Sabertooth had to say to get close enough to logan to surprise him. He says 'Whatever it takes' but his look is ambiguous. OOooooh. So was it a lie or not? Now we just don't know.

The kid and Fury

The kid doesn't want to be taken in when he realizes he's a mutant. Seems the US mutant/human relationship are still a bit strained. Whaddyuno.

He sucker kick Fury with a nice move. Seems like the kid has some notion of martial arts. But his powers are just wild. Another reality alteration mutant. He nearly takes the suqad apart. Fury order him tranqued. We don't see the result but it must work because next thing you know he is brought by Fury at the mansion in an Hannibal Lecter getup and drugged. Xavier reminds him that X-Men and SHIELD are no longer an item, Fury says that only Xavier can help and that if he remains with SHIELD he'll just be locked away and forgotten. Wolverine asks why this one is worth saving, Fury says he doesn't know what Logan means.

Kitty, Nightcrawler and Peter

Nothing much to say. Kitty came home from her date in a cab (and regrets spending the money). Peter is moping outside. Nightcrawler is nowhere to found.

Not too bad, not great.

3/5 overall for the three issues.

Last edited:
Re: Ultimate X-Men 68

E.Vi.L. said:
Teenage sex! What are the people of good morals going to think!?

Well....its realistic........

Xavier and Lilandra

Xavier lock her down and put the rest of the restaurant in loop so he can grill her about the Phoenix.

Turns out the Hellfire Club was a splinter of the Shiar who wanted to control the Phoenix. The Shiar see him as a force of change and improvement. She talks about a primal force that kickstarted life in the cosmos but then was eventually captured and restrained by an old race that had become quite advanced and wanted to control their fate. I'm not sure why. I mean, if Phoenix is really only a force for change, it seems weird to spend a thousand years and bottomless ressources just to capture it and remove it from the equation. The Phoenix must have been more invasise in its influence than the Shiar wants to admit.

Anyway they needed a prison because he couldn't be destroyed. And the prison agregated matter around itself and became... Earth! According to the Shiar, the Phoenix is Earth's core!!!

They better be just deluded fanatic...

Yikes, i hope theyre deluded. Thats insane

Cyclops and Jean

Not much. Cyclop give a lame line about whether or not is assertive enough and Jean says she'll give him an evaluation in a month. They are in bed. But Jean is still dress so...

Meh, nothing too interesting there ^

Rogue and Bobby

Just as lame except Rogue is naked in bed (covered by the sheet). Tsssk. What are they, 15? What a terrible influence on our youth this Kirkman is turning out to be.

Anyway, they are officially back together.

I like how Rogue is so eager to experience physical satisfaction now that she can. Sure it may be immoral, but isnt 15 around the age people usually have there first time? Anyways good on em.

Wolverine & Storm & Sabertooth

He says his piece, says he remembers his mom. And just as Wolverine seems almost interested enough to listen, he says he said his piece and attacks. And take a chunk of Wolverine's side but they are swiftly separeted when Storm gets a clean shot in. Sabertooth flees and Wolverine accpets Ororo's help with surprisingly little macho crap. They just might work out as a couple, who knows.

Wolverine goes back to base. Turns out Dr Cornelius survived after all. And his uite defigured by the chopper crash. He wanted a sample of Wolverine's DNA because he wants to create his own... Logan clone saga? Cornelius ask what Sabertooth had to say to get close enough to logan to surprise him. He says 'Whatever it takes' but his look is ambiguous. OOooooh. So was it a lie or not? Now we just don't know.

Cool. Hopefully Sabretooth isnt the son. The Wolverine clone....Ultimate Albert?

The kid and Fury

The kid doesn't want to be taken in when he realizes he's a mutant. Seems the US mutant/human relationship are still a bit strained. Whaddyuno.

He sucker kick Fury with a nice move. Seems like the kid has some notion of martial arts. But his powers are just wild. Another reality alteration mutant. He nearly takes the suqad apart. Fury order him tranqued. We don't see the result but it must work because next thing you know he is brought by Fury at the mansion in an Hannibal Lecter getup and drugged. Xavier reminds him that X-Men and SHIELD are no longer an item, Fury says that only Xavier can help and that if he remains with SHIELD he'll just be locked away and forgotten. Wolverine asks why this one is worth saving, Fury says he doesn't know what Logan means.

Im really not liking the Magician as a member of the X-Men

Kitty, Nightcrawler and Peter

Nothing much to say. Kitty came home from her date in a cab (and regrets spending the money). Peter is moping outside. Nightcrawler is nowhere to found.

Not too bad, not great.

Lol i dont know why i like this uncomfortablity between Kurt and Peter, but i do.

I might be the only one, but i actually really enjoyed "Date Night"

Nurhachi said:
The Wolverine clone....Ultimate Albert?
Either that or Ultimate X-23. I'm hoping for Ultimate Albert myself but IF they do X-23 I'm hoping it will be a fully grown, as in not teenager, female version of Wolverine.

Nurhachi said:
Well....its realistic........

What are you talking about? People of good morals care about realism even less than comic book fans do!

Nurhachi said:
Cool. Hopefully Sabretooth isnt the son. The Wolverine clone....Ultimate Albert?

Good thoughts. I'm convinced Sabes isn't really Logan's son, I think he was merely ****ing with his head before he threw down, all in an attempt to get a "piece" of Wolverine for the cloning experiment.

I might be the only one, but i actually really enjoyed "Date Night"

I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, but it wasn't bad. This issue in my opinion was the best of the arc.

Some interesting stuff put forth about Phoenix, Bobby and Rogue getting it on (does this make Bobby a "man"?...Nah, he's still a punk with a bandana), and the developments with Sabretooth/Wolverine were interesting.

This one I'll give a 3/5.

Anyone notice on the letter page, when someone wrote in and wanted Gambit brought back, the answer was "Well, I can't promise Gambit exactly, but keep your eyes peeled for this year's Ultimate X-Men Annual for more development on the Rogue/Gambit front..."

vintsukka said:
Anyone notice on the letter page, when someone wrote in and wanted Gambit brought back, the answer was "Well, I can't promise Gambit exactly, but keep your eyes peeled for this year's Ultimate X-Men Annual for more development on the Rogue/Gambit front..."

Yup, but I had heard about that being the premise for this year's Annual somewhere else, just can't remember where. So it wasn't really news to me, but nice to see they are planning on exploring what happened to Gambit.

On a side note, we've been given the premises to the USM, UXM, and Ultimates Annuals (still waiting on the UFF one), and with the exception of the Ultimates, both the USM and UXM seem to be almost direct continuations of last years Annuals...or at least deal with the same storyline. The USM Annual involves something springing out of both the last Annual and the Warriors arc, and the UXM will be delving into Gambit to some degree. The Ultimates Annual picks up right after Ultimates 2 and features Cap and Falcon on a road trip. Looking forward to these.

Mark thread spoilers.

Xavier and Lilandra - Phoenix is Earth. Don't know how I feel about that. Did Charles probe her mind after he was given permission? He better have. Otherwise she's definitely working for the Hellfire Club or something. I dunno. I don't care really.

Jean and Cyclops/Rogue and Bobby - Gay.

Colossus - Gay.... wait, I mean uninteresting. "I want to be alone. Boo hoo." I'm sitting there like "shut the **** up". Lame.

Wolverine/Sabertooth - I don't think Sabertooth was lying about being the son according to his appearance at the end. Scarred up Cornelius? How cliche. Ultimate X-23? or any Wolverine clone for that matter. :sick:

New guy - Still don't care. Nice powers? I thought it was a writers job to be original? Scarlet Witch ripoff.

Fury -
So Bkv is all like let's shake things up and make the relationship between SHIELD and the X-Men interesting. Then Kirkman's like "Nah, hug and make and everything will be all better". wtf? That was weak. Fury should've just killed the lame character. And his "I don't know what you're talking about" seemed like something a little girl would say to her arch enemy in high school.

I didn't think I disliked this issue so much until after I wrote this.

2/5

THANK GOD THIS ARC IS OVER!!!! I mean I know it was a filler arc....but DAMN!!!

Anyways....my 2 yen:

Xavier and Lilandra - So the Pheonix is the Earth's core? Weak sauce. A different approach to the character so far....but still weak.

Jean and Cyclops- Wow.....one panel. Not one page. One panel. And it consisted of "Am I assertive enough now Jean?". Scott grow a pair..... :roll:

Rogue and Bobby - Kirkman decides that since Rogue can touch...she's gonna whore it up while she can??? I mean in a "semi-perverted" way it makes sense.....but did he really need to go there??? We get it....teenagers have sex. Thanks for reminding me. And now they're a couple? If you say so... :roll:

Colossus - "Boo-hoo....I like boys and now everyone thinks I'm weird." So now what? Soon as Wolverine calls you a poof, you gonna run back to Mother Russia??? The world sucks and no one likes anyone. Grow up dude.....

Wolverine/Sabertooth - I too don't think Sabertooth was lying about the whole "pa" thing. His expression at the end was very sad. As if he bared his sould and got dejected..................which he did.....so that would explain that. Hooray for clones!!! :roll:

The Magician- Why isn't he dead yet? Who did Kirkman really think would care or even embrace this idea. "

Kirkman: Let's get rid of Warren and totally bring in some random mutie"
Marvel: Like who?
Kirkman: Does it matter?

Fury- You should've shot the kid General........I would've.

Like I said....so happy this is over.........

Which reminds that since in all likelihood it was Rogue's first time having sex and perhaps Bobby too, the aftermath should have been much more akward.

E.Vi.L. said:
Which reminds that since in all likelihood it was Rogue's first time having sex and perhaps Bobby too, the aftermath should have been much more akward.

totally agree. Unless Rogue was being influenced by Gambit's personality, she seemed waaaay to "well, that was nice". At least Bobby was a bit of a tool afterward.

Mmm, I think my feelings can be summed up quite nicely with... /yawn.

I liked the two previous issues more, they showed more interaction. This was just one page resolutions (oh, ok - so they are in bed ... and they are in bed ... and he is sulking ... and ...).

In addition, I didn't really like the phoenix "solution" (earth's core ... ok ... so are you saying every other planet in the universe don't have a hot core?). I didn't like the "let's clone wolverine" idea either - I just hope to God we are not getting a teenage x-23 or some **** like that in 20 issues, if they go on with the idea, let it be a baby or even better - finding it before they are "born".

The art is good! hehe.

Overall I give it 1.5 of 5. I was just bored reading it.

i enjoyed the arc, i thought it was a nice set up for a future arcs. i mean, how else can you have relationships formed, destoryed. several different plot lines introduced with some back ground info where everything seems to come together.

so i would give this a 4/5

I'd just like to point out, I enjoyed the arc as a whole, especially the last issue I thought was good, but this issue I thought was ... a huge disappointment.

I can officially say "Date Night" served no purpose. It seems like this arc could have been compressed down to one issue without missing much.

The Shiar/Phoenix- I feel like Kirkman could have done a better job at making the Shiar seem less like Scientologists. Don't get me wrong both suck. I just hate cheap rip offs of the real world. Even the prison planet was a rip off. I could go on for hours about the exact details, but you could also just read this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

Wolverine/Sabertooth- I was mildly relieved at the suggestion Sabertooth isn't Wolverines son. I hate the prospect of Wolverine being cloned. Cloning in the Ultimate Universe is something that should be around but never used, like time traveling. I know both are probably going to happen, but until then I can hold out hope that Kirkman will leave UXM before he can use Wolverine's clone or progeny.

The new kid- It's hard to see where this great divide between Xavier and SHIELD went. The dynamic between Xavier and Fury more resembles a divorced couple(you know who would be the man). They act like they're fighting over visitation right of they're kid. I was just waiting for Fury to say "the support check will in your account tomorrow."

Teen Sex- This was kind of a strange page for me. I couldn't peg what was wrong with the Scott/Jean panel, but I've nailed it. Men just don't look right curled up in the fetal position. The scene with Bobby and Rogue didn't look right because they looked 14 years-old.

S*** that bugged me.:evil: :
-That cab ride would not cost around thirty bucks. It would have made more sense to just have her take a ride home on a commuter train and then a cab from the station. And why is she wearing her X-Men costume?
-How come no else in the house is watching Fury. I'll accept that as a SHIELD big wig he could get into the house and stay in the house without permission, but the "just lock up when you're done" attitude seems kind of strange from people with a questionable history with SHIELD.
-Am I the only one who thinks it Xavier is trying to get into this chicks pants? I was surprised she didn't say something like "if you did this for us, I would be very grateful." He seems to smart to be led around by his manhood, even though it's probably been a while.

2/5 for the arc.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:

And bloody.

TheManWithoutFear said:
totally agree. Unless Rogue was being influenced by Gambit's personality, she seemed waaaay to "well, that was nice". At least Bobby was a bit of a tool afterward.

Bobby's always a tool.

Weird stuff. Although I like that psycho in the letters page whining that this Rogue should be Mystique or anything just so Bobby isn't sullying "our girl" Rogue.

jtg3885 said:
Weird stuff. Although I like that psycho in the letters page whining that this Rogue should be Mystique or anything just so Bobby isn't sullying "our girl" Rogue.

Yeah. If you're gonna write into Marvel, I wouldn't write in the style of a geeky schoolgirl who says NO to Jack and Audrey but PWEEAAAAASSSSEEE to Edgar and Chloe.

Oh, wait...

hehehehehehehe.

Good issue, and good overall arc in spite of the first issue.

I don't even know why I like it; I don't normally like these kinds of stories and the art is terrible. As in, bad on the level of Chris Bachalo.

But I like the Shi'ar beliefs surround the Phoenix. Hopefully they aren't "true", but it's a very Ultimate take, and I really like it. The Sabretooth lie was kind of cheap, but wasn't really too bad.

Maybe I'm a prude, but the Bobby/Rogue scene was totally inappropriate and should never have been shown like it was. Too much, given how old they are supposed to be.

3/5 for the issue and overall arc.

Latest posts

Back