Ultimate X-Men 68 (Discussion/Spoilers)

E said:
Maybe I'm a prude, but the Bobby/Rogue scene was totally inappropriate and should never have been shown like it was. Too much, given how old they are supposed to be.

Yeah. Not saying that sex has no place in comics...but not X-Men. It just shouldn't've been there. Even if they didn't actually show anything and was meant to be inferred---they should've found another way.

Victor Von Doom said:
Yeah. Not saying that sex has no place in comics...but not X-Men. It just shouldn't've been there. Even if they didn't actually show anything and was meant to be inferred---they should've found another way.

Not Ultimate X-Men anyway. And yeah, I agree...if you want to infer that the kids are getting busy, so be it. But what they showed was over the line and could get them in legal trouble. Not to mention it makes Kirkman and Raney look like total pervs.

That part I thought was fine, what I reacted to is they didn't even waste a whole page on the "resolutions" concerning some of the characters, so it was more like "oh well bleh".

I'm calling it here first -- if the Wolvie clone experiment turns out to be a way to Ultimize a recent creation like X-23, then I wouldn't be surprised if The Magician will be hinted as the Ultimate version of Wiccan from Young Avengers.

Why did Fury spare him? He may have connections to Scarlet Witch, and therefore Magneto.

(And conveniently provides somebody for Colossus to pair up with.)

Last edited:
compound said:
I'm calling it here first -- if the Wolvie clone experiment turns out to be a way to Ultimize a recent creation like X-23, then I wouldn't be surprised if The Magician will be hinted as the Ultimate version of Wiccan from Young Avengers.

Why did Fury spare him? He may have connections to Scarlet Witch, and therefore Magneto.

(And conveniently provides somebody for Colossus to pair up with.)

Will you be logging on as Ourchair later to second this opinion? :wink:

But don't you think Wiccan is a little too new and unknown to be ultimized yet?

I think Fury sparred him to make ammends for the "cave" situation.

I finally got the issue yesterday when I got home from volleyball practice...

I will begin by saying that I like what Kirkman is doing here. A lot of you don't, which is understandable, but there are probably some big things, particularly in this issue, that he will be building on throughout the rest of his run. From what I see of the Phoenix, the Weapon X project, and the Magician, things will be pretty interesting when it comes time for the next issue. I'm totally sold.

Good thing we're getting another artist, too.

I thought the Shi'ar/ Phoenix bit was really good... I thought of it as a religion, or a belief before I got into the explanation, so I didn't mind the out and out peculiarity of the Phoenix now being the core to the Earth. I don't really find the fact that Jean may be the person to set it free, that was sort of implied when we got into the whole emprisonment bit, but I'd like to see the Hellfire Club pop up now and start some real trouble... It might show off the true colors of the Shi'ar. We can't trust them just yet, you know.

Also, with Wolverine... It was interesting the way Sabertooth and Dr. Cornelius are running the Weapon X show again. I didn't interpret the whole DNA sample thing as Cornelius trying to make a clone, really, but more like jump start the Weapon X project again by using Wolverine's healing factor, like he did before to create Sabertooth... I don't know, this loose end is entirely nuts, especially now that Sabertooth being Wolverine's son could possibly be a lie, but I do like it.

Lastly, the Magician is beginning to become interesting for me. The capturing of the Magician should have happened the first issue he appeared in to make him more relevant, but I'll let that pass. Now that he's in the mansion we'll see what he's made of... I can't wait to see how he fits in with all of the other kids... What with all the pairings (Bobby, Rogue) and the seperations(Nightcrawler, Colossus), this should be interesting.

From the way I understood it, it seems that Phoenix would be re-born through Jean, and somehow that would be it's way out of its prison. I could have misread, but that's the way it sounded when I read the issue.

And as for the Magician, Fury and Xavier, I'm surprised people are like "But now they like each other or something?". This is definetly Fury playing up something to watch on Xavier. More on the lines of "Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer" type of deal.

Ice said:
From the way I understood it, it seems that Phoenix would be re-born through Jean, and somehow that would be it's way out of its prison. I could have misread, but that's the way it sounded when I read the issue.
I got the idea that the Phoenix was Earth and that any type of removal of the Pheonix would mean the end of the planet. I don't like how he set this up. I don't see how Jean can play host to such a big entity without compromising what was explained to be Phoenix being Earth.

Ice said:
And as for the Magician, Fury and Xavier, I'm surprised people are like "But now they like each other or something?". This is definetly Fury playing up something to watch on Xavier. More on the lines of "Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer" type of deal.
I think Fury just realized that it's wrong to kill little kids when their can be a chance they can be controlled. I think it was terribly rushed but that was the idea of him bringing this crappy character to Xavier this time.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I got the idea that the Phoenix was Earth and that any type of removal of the Pheonix would mean the end of the planet. I don't like how he set this up. I don't see how Jean can play host to such a big entity without compromising what was explained to be Phoenix being Earth.

The core of the Earth specifically, not Earth itself.

I don't remember it being suggested that the Phoenix's rebirth would destroy the Earth.

E said:
As in, bad on the level of Chris Bachalo.
Whoa! Hold on cowboy, I love Bachalo's stuff, and I don't think I'm the only one that likes his work. At least I don't think that anyway. But I agree with you this artist is wack as hell.
E said:
Maybe I'm a prude, but the Bobby/Rogue scene was totally inappropriate and should never have been shown like it was. Too much, given how old they are supposed to be.
You're a prude.

I had sex for the first time when I was 14. Which was a little early but at the time there was a lot of peer pressure involved. And it happened sort of like that. Horny teenage boy + Horny teenage girl + Home Alone = Loss of virginity and awkward conversation. Besides this book is rated teen, that seems very permittable under that statute. Especially when Boy Meets World gets the same rating and they have the same type of action going on. (Don't ask.)

The wolverine sample thing was kinda gay (ie. lame), somebody said ult. Albert earlier that would be cool. Even though Albert was a robot from the future. Even X-23 might be cool, maybe.

It did look like Chuck was trying to score there, but the man is a mack. What can you do.

All in All this arc was pretty decent. 2.99/5

Synch said:
I had sex for the first time when I was 14. Which was a little early but at the time there was a lot of peer pressure involved. And it happened sort of like that. Horny teenage boy + Horny teenage girl + Home Alone = Loss of virginity and awkward conversation. Besides this book is rated teen, that seems very permittable under that statute. Especially when Boy Meets World gets the same rating and they have the same type of action going on. (Don't ask.)
This is why the writers think it's ok to write these scenes in. They think that most teenagers loose their virginity at 14.

Synch said:
I had sex for the first time when I was 14. Which was a little early but at the time there was a lot of peer pressure involved.

Who cares? Nobody's questioning whether or not it happens. Go ask Abercrombie & Fitch if depictions of underage sexuality are legal.

I know for a fact most of my friends did not. But I only know that now. At the time I thought everybody did but me. Then it turned out I was the first one. Peer pressure is a B****. That being said I don't think it's ok to propagate that stereotype, because like I said earlier in most cases it's not true. Then again, it could be true in there case. I don't know what my point is anymore.

And since we know it does happen what's all the hub-bub about? Ok they had sex, what's next? It's not like it's something that is so far from reality that it could never happen, and if it was who cares. This is a comic book.

Synch said:
I know for a fact most of my friends did not. But I only know that now. At the time I thought everybody did but me. Then it turned out I was the first one. Peer pressure is a B****. That being said I don't think it's ok to propagate that stereotype, because like I said earlier in most cases it's not true. Then again, it could be true in there case. I don't know what my point is anymore.

Here comes the clue train - nobody cares about your sex life. Please.

E said:
Here comes the clue train - nobody cares about your sex life. Please.
Alright, I get it. I was just trying to make an allegory for better understanding. Which no one appreciated. Anyway I had more problems with the Shi-ar being kinda like corny scientology remake than any of the sex stuff.

Synch said:
Alright, I get it. I was just trying to make an allegory for better understanding. Which no one appreciated. Anyway I had more problems with the Shi-ar being kinda like corny scientology remake than any of the sex stuff.

I didn't mean to sound like a dick - my point is that isn't the point.

E said:
I didn't mean to sound like a dick - my point is that isn't the point.
AWWWW:heart: well in that case, i guess it's the thought that really counts.

Ultimate Houde said:
The Teen Titans just had sex in an issue too

What is this world coming too?

They obviously want teenagers to reproduce quicker, and then use their children as unwilling soldiers.

Latest posts

Back