Ultimate X-Men 68 (Discussion/Spoilers)

Exactly, that's all I was trying to say. Irish just nailed it totally. I'm glad someone could type it out because I gave up a couple pages ago.

TheManWithoutFear said:
If anyone should've lost their virginity first it should've been Scott and Jean because at least we know they have true feelings for each other. This is just kids having sex to have sex and it sets up a piss poor example just like the damn television shows do.
Maybe in the long run Bobby and Rogue fall out and Scott and Jean's love only grows stronger because they waited. How's that for showing an example? I can't see the big deal here.

vintsukka said:
Maybe in the long run Bobby and Rogue fall out and Scott and Jean's love only grows stronger because they waited. How's that for showing an example? I can't see the big deal here.
Sounds like a definet possiblity of it happening to me.

I'm just saying of all the things to discuss in the issue, we're taking this up more than anything... But, I'll step aside.

Iceman said:
ok, well, hopefully, they'll both get AIDS and die by issue 70.

because what they did was WRONG! and we cannot give kids the idea that people who have underage sex are heroes. they should just stick to killing (Logan), being members of the mob (Colossus), being former assassins (Logan), solving all problems through violence (Cyclops), being an underage alcoholic (Dazzler), and having wearing doo-rags when white (Iceman).

Sorry, E, but I agree with Iceman. Two people consenting to consumating a romantic relationship is preferable to murder. If we can see the latter, we should see the former. It's ****ed up to think murder and violence is okay, but not sex unless its between two consenting adults of different sexes.

(I know you don't have a problem with homosexuality, E, I'm just now talking generally. The mass audiences seem to be happier with the most violent murder than the most tame homosexual kiss. My point is - romantic interest seems more controversial than murder - which is kinda sick I think.)

In any case - enough discussion on the issue's 'controversy' as the controversy should be about how ****ty it is.

First - Elliot Boggs. To this 'sub-plot' I say - "WHO GIVES A ****?!" Sorry, but in 3 issues, all we've had is this kid go "OMG?! WHAT IS HAPPENING?!" then arrested.

I don't know why I should care. I'm supposed to - but I really don't. Waste of time.

Second - I hate Jean and Scott. Either Jean is mentally controlling Scott, or Kirkman can't write dialogue. It's horrific.

Third - I don't understand why Sabretooth had to distract Wolverine by boring him. He stopped fighting him so he could distract him so he could fight him. Whatever.

Fourth - Charles thinks it's immoral to read someone's mind, even when they mention their allegiance to something that makes them directly linked to the Hellfire club who betrayed him and the X-Men with the intent of totally dominating and twisting Jean into their destructo-play-toy. Even in that case - it's immoral to read their minds.

But, it's totally okay to completely paralyse someone and to completelty control the perceptions of dozens of innocent people around him.

So, it's bad to invade a potential evil person's mind, but okay to completey hijack the minds of dozens of innocent bystanders.

Not being a mutant, it's obvious I can't understand his ethics.

Either that or the whole three issues was turd.

I am so unbelievably disgusted by all this nonsense.

The only interesting things were Colossus on the steps, and Wolverine's line with Nick Fury about the kid. The Phoenix backstory isn't too bad at all.

But the rest was dull, or it was stupid. Did Kirkman even read his own script twice?

I knew there was SOMETHING missing from this thread... BASS! :lol:

You bring up a lot of good points, Bass, but I think you've gotta give Kirkman a little more credit. These were his first three issues in what appears to be something like what Millar is doing in UFF right now where his three issue arcs will eventually paint a much larger picture. Also, keep in mind that these are filler stories to mind the gap between Vaughan and Singer. I've been using that excuse quite often to rectify Kirkman's run, but I'm not as bothered as everyone else is about these last three issues... Sure, I did notice the amount of nonsensical things in the arc (Especially in the last issue) but I'm taking it for what it is. Kirkman has time to make the Magician an important character... He's definitely going to delve deeper into Dr. Cornelius and Sabertooth... I do think his Phoenix/Shi'ar idea is something to behold, though, and, at this point, is something entertaining enough to make me interested in the title. I don't know... Kirkman's run is young... I'd be willing to bet that it will improve as the run continues. Give him a shot.

Goodwill said:
I knew there was SOMETHING missing from this thread... BASS! :lol:

You bring up a lot of good points, Bass, but I think you've gotta give Kirkman a little more credit. These were his first three issues in what appears to be something like what Millar is doing in UFF right now where his three issue arcs will eventually paint a much larger picture. Also, keep in mind that these are filler stories to mind the gap between Vaughan and Singer. I've been using that excuse quite often to rectify Kirkman's run, but I'm not as bothered as everyone else is about these last three issues... Sure, I did notice the amount of nonsensical things in the arc (Especially in the last issue) but I'm taking it for what it is. Kirkman has time to make the Magician an important character... He's definitely going to delve deeper into Dr. Cornelius and Sabertooth... I do think his Phoenix/Shi'ar idea is something to behold, though, and, at this point, is something entertaining enough to make me interested in the title. I don't know... Kirkman's run is young... I'd be willing to bet that it will improve as the run continues. Give him a shot.

Instead of three ****ty, pointless issues, I'd rather there not be a UXM until Singer shows up. Kinda like the hiatus Ultimates went on.

If the comic comes out - unless is says on the cover "Half-assed issue" or the solicits point out that is "Filler Time", it should be of the highest quality of the series. I don't think your argument is appropriate, nor valid I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Bass said:
Instead of three ****ty, pointless issues, I'd rather there not be a UXM until Singer shows up. Kinda like the hiatus Ultimates went on.

If the comic comes out - unless is says on the cover "Half-assed issue" or the solicits point out that is "Filler Time", it should be of the highest quality of the series. I don't think your argument is appropriate, nor valid I'm afraid.

I'm actually thinking that this Date Night arc as just the prologue of the 9-issue run he has for the Phoenix. And like the Walking Dead, Kirkman has the bad tendency to linger too much in exposition but makes up for it in the juicier parts.

Also, I don't think Date Night is as bad as you think. It was nice to see more issues of the X-Men during their down time. Although I fully agree that Kirkman should made us care more about this Boggs kid.

Last edited:
Bass said:
Third - I don't understand why Sabretooth had to distract Wolverine by boring him.

Word!!! I was thinking the same thing. He needed to distract wolverine to get a DNA sample... Yeah, right. Sabretooth is an Alpha Class mutant and while nobody thinks he is as great as Wolverine he still kicks @ss on a regular basis. To think he couldn't get a piece of Wolvy without some stupid Soap Opera dialogue is ridiculous. I actually dug the Sabes thing until Cornelius showed up with that distraction line.
I'm with this guy on this one.

Synch said:
Word!!! I was thinking the same thing. He needed to distract wolverine to get a DNA sample... Yeah, right. Sabretooth is an Alpha Class mutant and while nobody thinks he is as great as Wolverine he still kicks @ss on a regular basis. To think he couldn't get a piece of Wolvy without some stupid Soap Opera dialogue is ridiculous. I actually dug the Sabes thing until Cornelius showed up with that distraction line.
I'm with this guy on this one.

To think about it now, I would've enjoyed Sabertooth, out of nowhere, attacking Wolverine without saying anything and just leaving. Leaving the readers to be all like, "What the ****? Sabertooth is back? But what was that all about?"

TheManWithoutFear said:
To think about it now, I would've enjoyed Sabertooth, out of nowhere, attacking Wolverine without saying anything and just leaving. Leaving the readers to be all like, "What the ****? Sabertooth is back? But what was that all about?"
Exactly! Sabes is a **cking looney sociopath, he was never the shiniest marble in the jar, and by no means has he ever been one to shy away from a direct conflict. For those reasons I don't see why he just go for the sample right out the gate, no words, and then leave just as soon. I think that would have probably been even cooler especially considering how everyone thought he got his head chopped off.

The whole thing reeks of "Wouldn't it have been better if..."

For example, the idea of Date Night is to take one night, pair off the various X-Men and have them do smaller, low-key things that build to something greater (Phoenix, Cornelius...)

So why not actually do that? Why not have Xavier go to what appear to be a routine dinner only to be taken to a secret Shi'ar church where she is in full ceremonial gear, along with extremely powerful beings who all claim to be superhumans and mutants and the guardians of the Shi'ar religion. They play huge hologram videos that chronicle the phoenix story, and then dropping the bombshell that this hologram technology, the same that makes the danger room work, is actually something they own the patent to, and that they found it - because it's alien technology and these videos are recordings by the aliens that imprisoned phoenix in the Earth. Because the Earth is her prison, this is why some of their technology is left over. It is this technology and the presence of the phoenix that drew the Chitauri. The mutant gene is actually the 'phoenix gene' and the phoenix is being reborn into humanity, piece by piece.

Charles isn't sure how much of this is true. And he's skeptical. But Lilandra is so persuasive, he does something he rarely does: he follows his heart and signs up with her.

How much of the phoenix story is true or not is irrelevant. The Shi'ar believe it. It could be later explained as part of the rest of Ultimate continuity as needed.

But the idea is, he goes off to a resteraunt and is pulled into a futuristic spiritual journey where instead of just getting sponsorship, he's come closer to the origins of mutanity and perhaps the meaning and purpose of all life on earth.

Which is just the beginning as we could imagine Charles becoming more and more involved in the Shi'ar - and this could play in future arcs should the Shi'ar turn out to be a cult or evil instead of something benign, or if its stories are false, the truth of what the phoenix is, its relationship with Jean and the Shi'ar could build.

While a lot of this potential is still available, this would be a more interesting and majestic way to bring it into the story, than Xavier and Lilandra sitting in a resteraunt talking at each other.

people are going crazy with bobby and rouge. just wait til colossus and northstar after prom :innocent:
Im gonna go pick up this issue right now.

Bass said:

If I'm supposed to give Millar's three issue arcs for UFF, you'll give Kirkman a shot... I'll go to my grave saying Date Night was better than any of what Millar has written for that title. There.

Victor Von Doom said:
Anyways....my 2 yen:
Colossus - "Boo-hoo....I like boys and now everyone thinks I'm weird." So now what? Soon as Wolverine calls you a poof, you gonna run back to Mother Russia??? The world sucks and no one likes anyone. Grow up dude.....
Dude, I laughed my *** off till the tears rolled down my cheeks for that! That was friggin' hilarious the way you said it! ROFHTBLMAO!!!

Victor Von Doom said:
The Magician- Why isn't he dead yet? Who did Kirkman really think would care or even embrace this idea. "

Kirkman: Let's get rid of Warren and totally bring in some random mutie"
Marvel: Like who?
Kirkman: Does it matter?
Just be glad Kirkman didn't ruin an existing 616 mutie with a weak ultimization, buddy. I mean...this kid sounds SO uninteresting its not even funny!:roll:

And Fury should've shot him because that's exactly the kind of **** he is!

Latest posts

Back