Ultimate X-Men #69 (spoilers)

Why not? Maybe he created him to die. If he didn't, why is this character so lame?

Synch said:
Why not? Maybe he created him to die. If he didn't, why is this character so lame?
If he created him to die, to me, unless he serves a good actual purpose, than his character was pointless from the beggining. The character may be lame to you, but that doesn't mean it was because he was meant to be killed off. All he had was small cameos in Date Night, and just started to go into his character (somewhat) in the new issue.

Ice said:
I don't see Kirkman killing off his own creation. Don't see that happening anytime at all, but we never know.

Technically, Walking Dead is all about creating characters that will sooner ot later die.

And the last reality altering villain in the X-Men pages bought the farm in a single arc.

Since thart guy obviously isn't going to become a permament team member, seems too dangerous to be free and probably isn't intended to become an ongoing villain, I'd say it's about 50% he dies before the end of Kirkman's run.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Technically, Walking Dead is all about creating characters that will sooner ot later die.

And the last reality altering villain in the X-Men pages bought the farm in a single arc.

Since thart guy obviously isn't going to become a permament team member, seems too danagerous to be free and probably isn't intended to become an ongoing villain, I'd say it's about 50% he dies before the end of Kirkman's run.
Ah, but Walking Dead is something different to this, but I get you mean.

Still, I don't see him being killed off. Maybe he'll be sent somewhere else or something, but not dying.

yuck i hated the art in this issue. Jean Greys costume was different on every page, and Storms haircut was different and her costume was too. Peter and Jean Paul looked so different, i couldnt tell who was who it looked so weird and undefining. Jean Pauls hair looked like it was hairsprayed and/or plastic. everything looked so bloated :shock: the story was ok, i liked angel's and charles's conversation. I dont know how i feel about the new kid. he seems eager. Next issue will be better i hope. the dance scene did nothing for me. it felt like forced and boring. i dunno. didnt captivate me.

Maybe Magician will be like, "Man, you know what'd be cool--"

Then Zombies will bash through a window and eat him, then disappear.

E.Vi.L. said:

Since thart guy obviously isn't going to become a permament team member, seems too dangerous to be free and probably isn't intended to become an ongoing villain, I'd say it's about 50% he dies before the end of Kirkman's run.
You make a compelling arguement for his demized. Is he even an ultimatized 616 character? I would be more inclined to think he would be more willing to kill off a totally new character, but he might think his own creation is something to be treasured.

I can't help but draw similarities between him and 616 Wanda. They both have subconsciously used their reality altering powers destructively. I think we might see the heroes come to the same conculusion with him as they did with her which will of course lead to him altering the whole world in an effort to prevent his own death and the rest has already been written.
Maybe Magician will be like, "Man, you know what'd be cool--"

Then Zombies will bash through a window and eat him, then disappear.
That's far to creative for Kirkman.

batdog said:
Jean Greys costume was different on every page...
It does change colors once but that's the colorist's mistake and not Oliver's, right? I didn't see any more changes.

But overall, I agree the art wasn't up to par. I miss Immonen.

EDIT: Okay, her pants did change quite dramatically, didn't notice that the first time.

Last edited:
vintsukka said:
It does change colors once but that's the colorist's mistake and not Oliver's, right? I didn't see any more changes.

But overall, I agree the art wasn't up to par. I miss Immonen.

EDIT: Okay, her pants did change quite dramatically, didn't notice that the first time.
Yeah like once and a while she had the back covered, othertimes it wasnt, did i miss something? when was he costume different than the one on the cover(her origional one?) , i still havent read magnetic north or hard lessons so i might have missed the change. I also think the cover was a bit pointless and misleading, do wolverine and cyclops even have a conversation in this issue? let alone occupy the same room?

It wasn't great. The Wolverine-Hulk bit was the best part. The scene with Colossus and Jean-Paul seemed to force. The art wasn't terrible but I didn't enjoy it either. I think he's trying to get into the team as a spy. He was way to eager for just killing his family.

C-

batdog said:
Yeah like once and a while she had the back covered, othertimes it wasnt, did i miss something? when was he costume different than the one on the cover(her origional one?) , i still havent read magnetic north or hard lessons so i might have missed the change. I also think the cover was a bit pointless and misleading, do wolverine and cyclops even have a conversation in this issue? let alone occupy the same room?
The thing I noticed is first her pants have either holes or skin-colored patches on the side, but then in another panel they're gone. Then back again. Also, in one shot on page 4 her top is colored yellow, when everywhere else it's blue.

vintsukka said:
The thing I noticed is first her pants have either holes or skin-colored patches on the side, but then in another panel they're gone. Then back again. Also, in one shot on page 4 her top is colored yellow, when everywhere else it's blue.
I noticed her yellow back on some panels.

Once again, I'm PO'ed at the cover of the comic, especially when it's the 69th issue. Ahahaha ok immature side has taken over. I mean not only is Wolverine shockingly shorter than Cyclops, but the cover has NOTHING to do with the story inside of it. If it does, shock me. The only thing I liked about the cover is the scoop, "Phoenix?" because this arc MIGHT determine whether I will continue reading X-Men. One of the sole reasons I disliked the 616 X-Men, was because of the PHOENIX. So I'm reading this and hopefully Phoenix doesn't get too carried away. Sadly, I hope Jean dies quickly if the Phoenix gets out.

As I was saying...then I opened up the comic itself and read along. And the first page disappoints me, because in the past the first page shows the "Previously in Ultimate X-Men" then I go to the next page, not bothering the recap since I read the issue already. But no, under the recap shows something that IS happening in the current comic. Try sticking to one, either put the panels of the previous comic or the present one.

Now what I did like, was the down-right truth of Colossus being gay. When Miller first hinted that Colossus was gay, I was PO'ed, but after some anger management classes and the understanding of the gay society, I'm glad Colossus is, and I'm glad he's not afraid to show it and glad there's an involvement with Northstar.

Unfortunately the art in this wasn't all too great. I did not like the way Xavier was drawn. In one panel, it looked like his forehead was drastically enlarged , his nose was shoved down to his mouth, giving him the the image of a drastic serial killer. Then Jean at one point had the face of an old lady, facial expressions that looked like she was stabbed in the back, then back to posing like a model. As for Wolverine, is it me or has he changed considerably from Ultimate X-Men #1? Back to cowboy hats and all, boring. We like the "as$hole".

I read along then there was a lil confrontation between Jean and Charles when Jean called him "Charles" and Xavier asked her to call him "Professor". I'm glad the "Professor" is showing some leadership there lol. Then it lead back to the teamwork of Rogue and Iceman. I like the lil' chemistry going around considering they were "making love" in the previous comics. At least they're getting along and how about this new guy eh? Cyclops showing him around, like every other "new person's" introduction. Gets quite boring lol.

Back to Colossus and Northstar. Once again the chemistry is there, obviously they like each other, I just hope it doesn't get too carried away. But then when things were heating up, "BRA-KROOM!!" What kind of sound effect for words is that? I guess they have to come up with some new words to describe the crash-in to the place. I really do love the Brotherhood, especially Blob and Toad. Loved those two since they showed up in the earlier issues. "WRAMM!" "BOING!!" "GOOM!!" Ok these sound effects are very very very bad. First of all, if you're thinking physics, the sound effect "WRAMM!" would have never happened...and when Colossus bounced off, the boing, geesh. I don't even want to talk about it. I do love the Toad's tongue...certainly powerful.

Oh and then the last few panels, very disappointing. If you go back to when Cyclops told the new guy, "As many X-Men as we have running around this place these days--something REALLY bad would have to happen for us to use you before you're ready" Ok so basically Cyclops told him he's not ready, we'd have to see Xavier's opinions about your powers before you go, oh and also a few days earlier and he had killed his parents, nearly destroyed a few SHIELD ppl, oh and Nick Fury probably one of the most important guys in Ultimate Marvel, but what does Cyclops say, (actually Robert Kirkman) "Well, Elliot you just MAY get your wish." Sorry that calls for poor writing, unrealism, and a poor ending to #69 to me that is.

Cover - 1/10
Story - 5/10
Art - 4/10
Overall - I'll give it a 4. Nothing too special, I guess it's an issue to start the arc...

Edit: Apparently, after re-reading the rules spoiler tags are not needed in this thread, so I took it off.

Last edited:
Remember. Just because you see something on the cover, does not necessarilly mean it's what's going on in the issue itself. Remeber Ultimates 2 #5?

And Wolverine is about 6 feet, it not a bit more. So he's at least (if not taller) than Cyclops.

BerserkerX said:
But no, under the recap shows something that IS happening in the current comic. Try sticking to one, either put the panels of the previous comic or the present one.
It's been like that since issue #54, so I can't see the problem here.

Ice said:
Remember. Just because you see something on the cover, does not necessarilly mean it's what's going on in the issue itself. Remeber Ultimates 2 #5?
That was the Thor one, right? Well, at least it hinted a little what the issue was about. In UXM #69 the cover is Cyclops and Wolverine fighting for Jean, but in the issue Wolverine doesn't interact with either of them and Cyclops and Jean only see each other briefly. And by the looks of it, Wolverine is going after Hulk, so the cover has nothing to do with anything coming up in this arc either.

Last edited:
vintsukka said:
That was the Thor one, right? Well, at least it hinted a little what the issue was about. In UXM #69 the cover is Cyclops and Wolverine fighting for Jean, but in the issue Wolverine doesn't interact with either of them and Cyclops and Jean only see each other briefly. And by the looks of it, Wolverine is going after Hulk, so the cover has nothing to do with anything coming up in this arc either.
Right, but the point is that just because you see something on the cover does not mean it's what's going on in the issue. The cover these days are not like the covers of yesteryear.

Hi-Fi said:
Wow, I really loved this issue. The Rogue/Logan interaction made me smile for some reason. The characters are acting like themselves, continuity is respected, everything about this issue was awesome. Good job, Mr. Kirkman. After a weak first arc, this one promises to be good.

I'm all on board for Wolverine&Rogue but I do have a problem with alot of the relationships within Ultimate. Most of them are so contrived and forced. I always thought that Wolverine's sudden obsession (Cry Wolf arc) with Rogue was all too thrown together. Storm's reference to her as "little sister" was stupid and without merit. These characters have barely spoken to each other,although, alot of this is Vaughan's fault for clumsily setting this up. Alot of his mapping of this comic wasn't well structured but with so many chefs in the kitchen, it's easy for this to happen.

The Wolverine/Rogue moment in this issue would have been better if we understood their relationship better. Now all of a sudden it just feels as forced as his relationship with Storm or hers with Bobby/Gambit. While I do want to see some alternative writing, it would have been nice to see those types of revelations with a basis or foundation.

Last edited:
vintsukka said:

Exactly. I don't expect to see any more of Wolverine in this arc due to it leading directly into Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk, though I suppose its possible a panel or page or even merely a mention is thrown in to account for his whereabouts.

Latest posts

Back