Ultimate X-Men #70...(Spoilers???)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Ummmm...didn't this issue come out today? I didn't hear about it being delayed. I didn't get a chance to go by the comic store to pick it up, so I came on the site looking for a summary/review from some of the other UCers and to my surprise there's no thread for it. This is probably the first time in a long time this has happened. So, uh...anybody?

Anyway, I'll be going by the shop tomorrow to pick it up, so I'll post my own summary/spoilers then if it hasn't already been done by another member.

Come on people, you're slipping!

Maybe it sucked so much people couldn't be bothered reviewing it?

I picked it up today. It was alright. The ending was probably the most note worthy part. Jean goes into Phoenix mode and says she's going to unmake the universe starting with Lilandra.

Everything else was mostly Scott, Rogue, Bobby, Storm and Magician coming to the rescue. The X-Men fought like weaklings. The most interesting part of the fight was Magician actually being able to move the Blob.

The other interesting part was the opening with Nightcrawler. He more or less said he couldn't forgive Colossus for hiding his sexuality. I'm not sure what to make of that, but it seemed out of place.

Last edited:
MaxwellSmart said:
I picked it up today. It was alright. The ending was probably the most note worthy part. Jean goes into Phoenix mode and says she's going to unmake the universe starting with Lilandra.

Everything else was mostly Scott, Rogue, Bobby, Storm and Magician coming to the rescue. The X-Men fought like weaklings. The most interesting part of the fight was Magician actually being able to move the Blob.

The other interesting part was the opening with Nightcrawler. He more or less said he couldn't forgive Colossus for hiding his sexuality. I'm not sure what to make of that, but it seemed out of place.

Hmmmm...I'll be picking this up later today...any Wolvie appearances (ie, the tie-in/lead-in to Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk)? Just wondering for the timeline.

DIrishB said:
Hmmmm...I'll be picking this up later today...any Wolvie appearances (ie, the tie-in/lead-in to Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk)? Just wondering for the timeline.
He is mentioned as being MIA. We saw him get the call from Fury in the last issue, so I predicted that was their way of explaining his absense from the school.

i would have but i havn't even had a chance to read stuff i set aside for myself last week....

It was a decent issue. I liked how he's writing Iceman now. That's how Iceman should be. And Jean is still only 19? So that mean the X-Men also haven't passed a full year yet, then?

Art was alright. Jean still looks weird. Maybe weirder?

3/5.

This site without me. :roll:

I tried to get the summary up but I can't type for too long.

I'll get to Captain America and X-Men when I have a chance but I do want to talk about this.

I loved the issue. I just hope it doesn't fall short like Date Night did.

I loved Cyclops finally being a leader. I loved the use of The Brotherhood and Mastermind's trickery. Still skeptical of Phoenix but it's all right so far.

Thing that really makes me excited is the fate of the Magician when this is all said and done. He could turn into a villain. But he's too powerful. The kid moved the Blob....

I think he should die. It's only logical.

I loved Nightcrawler's talking with Ali and his speech about Colossus. That shed a good deal of light on his thoughts towards him. I think it's safe to say he's against homosexuality but the whole "my friend kept this secret from me" deal was a great add.

I'll give it a 4/5.

Really enjoyed it. Just plain fun and not world threatening crisis. A nice side story dealing with the characters.

Wow Nightcrawler is a dick. He's alone because he's pushing Colossus away.
Magician is cool, but he kinda remember Wanda, almost like the same powers.

No one else brought it up, but did the X-Men's performance seem substandard? It came across to me as though they were written to seem as though they needed to be rescued by Magician.

Take for example Colossus. He couldn't handle Multiple Man. This is a guy beat the **** out of Thor and Iron in the same day, truelly his finest hour! Or Cyclops, he hits Angel with an optic blast without being prepared for how he would survive the fall.

MaxwellSmart said:
No one else brought it up, but did the X-Men's performance seem substandard? It came across to me as though they were written to seem as though they needed to be rescued by Magician.

Take for example Colossus. He couldn't handle Multiple Man. This is a guy beat the **** out of Thor and Iron in the same day, truelly his finest hour! Or Cyclops, he hits Angel with an optic blast without being prepared for how he would survive the fall.
I say this is due all to the Magician. My guess is that he's making it seem like they need help so he can help because he wants to be an X-Man so badly.

Ice said:
I say this is due all to the Magician. My guess is that he's making it seem like they need help so he can help because he wants to be an X-Man so badly.

I honestly think there's something else wrong with him. I think Kirkman's making him so important because he IS important. Like MWoF said, I think not only will he be a villian, but that he already is.

Lynx said:
I honestly think there's something else wrong with him. I think Kirkman's making him so important because he IS important. Like MWoF said, I think not only will he be a villian, but that he already is.
Yeah, that's the way I see it, too. Only thing is that the way his introduction was handled could have been better.

MaxwellSmart said:
He is mentioned as being MIA. We saw him get the call from Fury in the last issue, so I predicted that was their way of explaining his absense from the school.

Yeah, I kind of figured the same thing, just wanted to make sure as I hadn't read the issue yet.

Ice said:
It was a decent issue. I liked how he's writing Iceman now. That's how Iceman should be. And Jean is still only 19? So that mean the X-Men also haven't passed a full year yet, then?

Well, considering USM #1 occurred before UXM #1, and not a whole year has passed in that title, makes sense here too, I guess...Course, how that explains the one year passing in between Ultimates 1 and Ultimates 2 and the way that works with the other titles occurring simultaneously (UXM's "Magnetic North" arc occuring sometime in between the first and second arcs of Ultimates 2) doesn't make much sense, but whatever. I've come to realize specific time references are to be taken with a grain of salt in the Ultimate universe (and in most other comics as well).

Lynx said:
Do you -- or anybody else here -- think Kirkman deliberately created the Magician character as a kind of critique of the various Mary Sue-style characters who have appeared in the X-titles over the years? e.g. Nate Grey/X-Man, Longshot, Adam-X/"The Xtreme", and (for quite some time) even Cable

So now Jean's parents are awful pigs that don't want to see her anymore??

Her father acted like he was her best friend in Ultimate War!! WTF??:roll:

OK, issue, but Kirkman better give some answers next issue, like why the hell would a former terrorist group like the Brotherhood break in some prom dance??

kudos to Cyclops remembering his friendship with Toad, and Iceman finally acting like Iceman.

Again, no Kitty. Blah. The solicitation for this issue said she would be suspecting about the Magician. I wonder what changed Kirkman's plan.

And it's pretty obvious that Magician is a joke created by Kirkman. I'm just not sure I like it. I hope this Magician story end next arc so we can jump to more interesting storylines.

Hi-Fi said:
So now Jean's parents are awful pigs that don't want to see her anymore??

Her father acted like he was her best friend in Ultimate War!! WTF??:roll:

Exactly...someone wasn't doing their homework...and someone else didn't catch it during that whole process called "editing"...slags.

OK, issue, but Kirkman better give some answers next issue, like why the hell would a former terrorist group like the Brotherhood break in some prom dance??

I was wondering the point of that as well... I also agree with the theory that this might all the Magician's doing...considering we'll be seeing him turn into some type of adversary to the Ultimate X-Men (according or alluded to in solicits) in the next arc, he should start showing his true colors soon.

kudos to Cyclops remembering his friendship with Toad, and Iceman finally acting like Iceman.

Agreed. Liked that...the one thing about UXM continuity they got right with this issue.

Again, no Kitty. Blah. The solicitation for this issue said she would be suspecting about the Magician. I wonder what changed Kirkman's plan.

And it's pretty obvious that Magician is a joke created by Kirkman. I'm just not sure I like it. I hope this Magician story end next arc so we can jump to more interesting storylines.

I'm pretty sure it will. Its possible Elliot Boggs/"Magician" will survive, and probably put under SHIELD custody much like five of the "Ultimate Six" were after that USM/Ultimates crossover arc (Spidey wasn't frozen).

Of course, he could end up dead a a doornail as well...I think deep, man.

The amount of praise givin' to Iceman and Rogue in the letter page is ridiculous.

And Rogue under Kirkman's pen sucks. She does absolutely nothing. Stands there and smiles like she's mental. She really pisses me off.

And awesome that writers are using Kitty's superhero relationship as an excuse to not write and extra character. Lame.

Still enjoyed the story but some of those things irked me.

Latest posts

Back