Ultimate X-Men #74 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Right where we left off...

Jean and Magician have a bit of a showdown. Magician asks if Jean's going to "crazy her to death". Colossus tries to free himself but Magician taunts him and traps him tighter. Jean gets mobbed by "The Brotherhood" where it's explained they never really attacked the Academy to begin with. Jean looks for help via Wolverine. She sets him on fire breaking the slimy gook that's holding him and (like in Astonishing and Warsong Logan is once again burnt and attaking) Wolverine goes on a rampage (Screaming "Jean" every other panel :roll: ) and kills "Blob", who is sitting on Jean suffocating her. He then attacks Magician and slashes his throat. They dance for a bit and then Wolverine gives him the deathblow.

The X-Men/Fury are sitting in the hanger where there's no trace of Magician or a fight. Xavier goes on about how important it is to keep tabs on new mutants in the world so that they can help them before anything like this happens again. There's a good scene where it talks about taking such powerful mutants out and it focuses on Fury giving Logan a look.

They show Logan in his room looking at the wedding ring and he gets a scent of something. Sabertooth is hiding behind a tree with a sad look on his face.

Kitty is outside and is approached by The Magician who explains he has to disappear from the world because he's too dangerous. He says that everything that happened was because of his subconscious desires. He didn't mean for everything to go down the way it did. Kitty forgets he was even talking to her when Scott comes up and asks what she's doing.

Nightcrawler is heading off somewhere with a backpack but is confronted by Colossus. Kurt seems to attack him but teleports before he makes contact. Colossus has had enough and asks Bobby where Xavier is so he can talk to him about Kurt. Bobby says he's on a date.

Xavier is with Lilandra and they flirt big. Xavier says he's interested in the Shi'ar church and asks if Lilandra is trying to seduce him when he reads her mind.

3.5/5

The Magician is way too powerful to even exist in comics and I'm worried will come back at all. But, to me, it was a good story overall focusing on a mutant who isn't necessarily evil but abuses his uncontrollable powers.

"JEAN!!" from Logan bugged the piss out of me and the fact Cyclops got no fight time annoyed me. And is this not the third time in a month where Logan caught fire and still fought? Lame...

I think that the whole Phoenix element was meant to be portrayed as another one of Magician's illusions... Don't know if that's a good or bad thing? Hell, don't know if that's what was meant at all. Either way Jean/Phoenix by the end of the arc was forgotten about.

Did they actually give an explanation of the powers that he has? DId they actually show anything?

Maybe the Phoenix force was reacting negatively to the Magician's powers so they collided and that's why she was actually able to fight him?

I'm confused...

Ultimate Houde said:
Did they actually give an explanation of the powers that he has? DId they actually show anything?

Maybe the Phoenix force was reacting negatively to the Magician's powers so they collided and that's why she was actually able to fight him?

I'm confused...

(Hi, I'm new here :D)

I think that Magician's powers weren't enough to affect the Phoenix force directly... But they were enough subdue Jean physically, so...

Ultimate Houde said:

I'm confused...

They tried to explain his powers somewhat at the end. Kitty is sitting under a tree moping and The Magician appears next to her and tells her what happened (this takes place after the big fight of course). He says that as far as he can tell---his powers are "warping reality subconsiously and consiouosly". He thought Kitty was cute and next thing you know she's flirting with him. He was a mutant and wanted to be on the X-Men so boom he was. It was a weak explanation....

Now that that has been said...let me say this:

HA! That's what you people get! I've been saying this Kirkman run was just filler bollocks and complete ****e. "He" comes on and says this is all one big arc that will tie into one another and it doesn't. The only hints of Date Night is Sabertooth hiding in the woods. The only thing with the Phoenix is Jean comes back to save the day and Xavier has a date with Lilandra. And no the Magician doesn't really die....he just wishes himself gone.

I know I'm a cynical ******* and don't really like anything. But I'm felling pretty good right now. I called this bull**** from the beginning.

It was weak sauce all around. Period. Yeah....NOW go ahead and look forward to Ultimate Cable, Domino and Bishop. I predict we'll all be disappointed.

0/5

Yeah....that low. I'd rather go read Ultimate Hobgoblin, Iron Man, Superstars and Deadpool again 20 times in a row..................each before I read this crap again.

2 words for ya: Street team.

TheManWithoutFear said:
But I wasn't disappointed at all...

To each his own man.

I just don't dig Kirkman's stuff. I've read his Marvel Zombies, Walking Dead and Invincible---I am not impressed at all. I haven't enjoyed a single thing he's done on UXM. I'm not saying he's a bad writer....I just don't dig his stuff.

Victor Von Doom said:
To each his own man.

I just don't dig Kirkman's stuff. I've read his Marvel Zombies, Walking Dead and Invincible---I am not impressed at all. I haven't enjoyed a single thing he's done on UXM. I'm not saying he's a bad writer....I just don't dig his stuff.

.... :cry: You're breaking my heart Doom.

TheManWithoutFear said:
.... :cry: You're breaking my heart Doom.

Sorry man. I just can't get into Kirkman's stuff. And his run on UXM has been deplorable. Especially coming off the great fun BKV run.

But hey....look at the brightside----your first 2 or 3 drinks at WW in Philly next year on me mate. :rockon:

I think MwoF pretty much hit the nail on the head. It was pretty good; I'd say 3/5 is fair. But Magician *is* waaaaay too powerful. He's got the Molecule Man thing going on - so insanely powerful that he's almost impossible to use. And yes, it does seem to confirm that he "created" Jean as the Phoenix. If Phoenix ever comes back...it could almost be what we had with Scarlet Witch in Avengers.

It thougt it was ok. 3.5/5. Didnt really like the ending though. Wolverine shouldve popped him in the head. Then we'll see how he'll wish anything.

Last edited:
Well I agree with most things MWoF said but I am glad that they atleast through the Lilandra and Sabertooth stuff out there.

Do you guys know why Sabertooth is sad now? It is pretty simple. Wolverine sliced off his man-hood which made him turn into a woman and have these "feelings" we always hear about. :D

Last edited:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but overall I actually like the Magician as a character. He wasn't that original, but he had enough mystery to his character that it made for a well rounded character.

This was definitely one of Kirkman's better issues, I thought. But I don't understand why Wolverine needed to be burnt to a crisp in order to kill everybody. I liked the bit with Nightcrawler and how he 'bamf'ed himself away just at that moment. Seeing Sabretooth again was interesting, as was seeing Charles dating Lilandra. All in all, a good but far from great UXM issue in the Kirkman run. See, you gotta lower expectations before reading them. :wink:

MaxwellSmart said:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but overall I actually like the Magician as a character. He wasn't that original, but he had enough mystery to his character that it made for a well rounded character.

I liked him too...:scared:

You were supposed to dislike him. You were supposed to be skeptical. It's ok to like him as a character because it brought a much needed dynamic to the story. A subplot that should've been brought on a lot earlier than this. I'm glad Kirkman touched on it for once. I just wished he killed him at the end for real. I would hate to see him come back.

Thor said:
Do you guys know why Sabertooth is sad now? It is pretty simple. Wolverine sliced off his man-hood which made him turn into a woman and have these "feelings" we always hear about. :D

NO WAY! Sabretooth weiner would grow back unless Ult. Hulk vs Wolverine is right then he'd have to find it and put the pieces together and they... it would grow back plus he was very manly after it got stabbed in the Return of the King arc when he was with the 2nd incarnation of Magneto's Brotherhood. So he must be up to something

Latest posts

Back