Ultimate X-Men #76 Discussion *spoilers*

And now for Doom's 2 pesos....

I don't like Kirkman's stuff. Just couldn't get into it. Walking Dead, Invincible, Zombies, etc. It was all just meh to me. And prior to this Cable arc, his UXM run was some of the worst stuff this side of Ultimate Deadpool, Ultimate Iron Man and MJ She-Wolf.

Keyword here is prior.

I admit that after reading his last 9 issues of UXM, I was not looking forward to Cable at all. But the first issue was really solid. Sharp writing, good pacing, and solid art by Oliver. I liked it. I liked it so much that I actually gave Kirkman's Ant-Man a chance. I liked it too.

So now here we are with the second issue of Cable. I still don't like the fact that Cable is Wolverine. Don't like it at all.....probably never will. Especially when Kirkman said that Cable was not gonna be any relation to the X-Men. And I guess technically he's not. But still......

#2 was just as good as the first. I do actually have hope and believe that Kirkman can pull this off. Plus as an added bonus-----ULTIMATE DOMINO!!!!! **** YES!!!!! :rockon:

So yeah 4/5

I think I might give Invincile a second shot.

Last edited:
OMG I am SO excited!

Does anyone else think that Kirkman is rewriting the story to set up ALL the Xmen's time traveling stories into one story? Days of Future Past, Cable's story, Bishop's, and the maybe even elements of Age of Apocolypse all run together.

The problem with telling any time-traveling story is that you have to know how the whole thing goes in advance. The time traveler's from the future should always know things that will happen later in the comic, but the writer can't know cos they hadn't thought of the ideas yet. But in the Xmen world, we basically know what sort of things happen, and if Kirkman has envisioned where he is going, he can be foreshadowing it all along.

Also, in streamlining, I think that Cable really is Wolverine. It's a much more compelling idea than him being Scott's son. The 1st incarnation of Cable as Scott's son who was infected with a virus by apocolypse to test him, and then raised 2,000 years in the future by his alt-universe sister Rachel & the time traveling souls of Scott & Jean himself, only to have to come back in time to fight his evil clone and then try to defeat Apocolypse? That is way outlandish and convoluted to say the least. Cable as Wolverine's future he adds depth to marvel's already favorite character. It streamlines the ultimate universe, while raising the stakes in the story. It gives Wolvie depth. And oh man, y'know how much we love to hear about Logan's mysterious past? Imagine how much we'd enjoy hearing about his mysterious future? Holy moly!

I am just gonna think for a sec:
what if the xmen go into the future to fight apocolypse, and that is their first encounter, rather than in the present! what if wolverine gets his own ultimate comic? what if jean learns what xavier has done in the future and turns against him, and what if the other xmen turn on him too? How psychologically messed up would Xavier be if the xmen turned on him? Oi, this is so cool!

Welcome to UC!

I don't think that character from the future necesarily know whats going to happen in future issues.

I mean, introducing future people like Cable, Bishop, Domino, whoever the other people were (?) changes the entire timeline. Presumably Xavier knowing that he potentially screws up the world will change his actions substantially, and wolverine meeting his future self will change him substantially.

Basically Cables past is not the X Mens future.

Unless it's Cable that ****s himself up in the past to make him the scared wonder in the future.

Welcome new dude!

But yeah, Kirkman said he's not dealing with the future at all. He's keeping it simple. No one's going to the future, no flashbacks to Cable's future. He's trying to make the best out of time travel...which is iffy in comics in my opinion.

But this is good, and it's nice to have all these guesses for the future of this book. Kirkman's doing a great job.

OMG I am SO excited!

Does anyone else think that Kirkman is rewriting the story to set up ALL the Xmen's time traveling stories into one story? Days of Future Past, Cable's story, Bishop's, and the maybe even elements of Age of Apocolypse all run together.

The problem with telling any time-traveling story is that you have to know how the whole thing goes in advance. The time traveler's from the future should always know things that will happen later in the comic, but the writer can't know cos they hadn't thought of the ideas yet. But in the Xmen world, we basically know what sort of things happen, and if Kirkman has envisioned where he is going, he can be foreshadowing it all along.

Also, in streamlining, I think that Cable really is Wolverine. It's a much more compelling idea than him being Scott's son. The 1st incarnation of Cable as Scott's son who was infected with a virus by apocolypse to test him, and then raised 2,000 years in the future by his alt-universe sister Rachel & the time traveling souls of Scott & Jean himself, only to have to come back in time to fight his evil clone and then try to defeat Apocolypse? That is way outlandish and convoluted to say the least. Cable as Wolverine's future he adds depth to marvel's already favorite character. It streamlines the ultimate universe, while raising the stakes in the story. It gives Wolvie depth. And oh man, y'know how much we love to hear about Logan's mysterious past? Imagine how much we'd enjoy hearing about his mysterious future? Holy moly!

I am just gonna think for a sec:
what if the xmen go into the future to fight apocolypse, and that is their first encounter, rather than in the present! what if wolverine gets his own ultimate comic? what if jean learns what xavier has done in the future and turns against him, and what if the other xmen turn on him too? How psychologically messed up would Xavier be if the xmen turned on him? Oi, this is so cool!

Welcome to the UC.

Now, while you did bring up an interesting point of us learning about both Wolverine's mysterious past and his uncertain future, I'm still against Cable being Wolverine. Granted, I'm becoming more comfortable with it as the arc goes on, I would never really like it. And I didn't and still don't want him to be Scott's son either. A powerful mutant (or ex-mutant) from the future would have been good enough for me.

Anyways, IF Cable is Wolverine, there's a few things left unanswered. First, is the eye. What is it and how did he get it? And two, how did he lose his powers? The second thing I'm really concerned about, because if there's something I'm against more than Cable being Wolverine, its a mutant cure (This is confined to the X-men corner of the Ultimate Universe, obviously). I hated it in X-men 3, I hate it now. You can't cure genes.

However, I really, really like Doc Strangefate's idea about Xavier being Apocalypse. It's quite interesting, and with Cable appearing AND him hating Xavier's agenda, it really seems to be pointing to it.

this was a good read

great action, cool art

i'm still not buying that cable is wolverine though

it might just be wolverines arm?

did anyone catch that six-pack was only shown to have five members? i wonder who the sixth is i bet it's bishop he's lying to get close to xavier

anywho 3.5/5

Great issue, man. Bravo Kirkman, bravo!

4/5

I really do hope that the big black guy is Grizzly because we need more cool black people in the UU. I wonder how he is going to actually look like the 616 version though....

Injection of something maybe? Or maybe he can switch his power off!

As you can see, I can't wait. Bring it on.

did anyone catch that six-pack was only shown to have five members? i wonder who the sixth is i bet it's bishop he's lying to get close to xavier

anywho 3.5/5

I both love and hate that Idea. It makes Cable a genius planner, thus more dangerous, it ultimatizes Bishop into a kickass.

And I dislike this...for...love of 616 Bishop?

Seriously though, I like that idea. It grows on you quickly.

At the end of the comic, Cable's back in the future with Jean, right? That's why they couldn't find her and why his crew is there.

In 616, Jean Grey and Scott Summers have or have had at least three alternate-dimension future children--Nathan, Rachel and Cable (not counting the evil clone of Cable). I'm a little iffy about Cable being Future-Wolverine, but I'm very grateful the Summers family is simplified. I used to own this X-Men encyclopedia (can't remember what its name was) and there was an entire page on their family tree. Summers and Grey clones, analogs from alternate dimensions and ****ed-up future children. It was ridiculously complicated; add in Jean's many deaths and resurrections and the whole thing is just a huge mess. Well, that sort of cheesy thing works well for 616, but 1610 is supposed to be more realistic. Hooray for Ultimate Cable.

I really makes sense to me that Kirkman is serious about making Cable be Wolverine in the future. The Ultimate Universe is all about re-imagining the story and streamlining, fixing & improving what worked before. I think that more than anything I've seen in the Xmen UU so far, Cable as Wolverine fixes SO many problems that I can see why they might have done it. Let's explore them!

:neutral: First off, Cable as Nathan Summers, Scott's son, has SO many problems with it: #1 is that Scott is a relatively boring character and thus does not evoke the sort of emotion or interest in fans that Wolverine does. Ie if Scott has a son: who cares?, but if Logan were to have one: you'd be all over that, like "holy cow! Who is it?!!!" [edit:] I do not mean to imply Cable is Wolverine's son, just that if wolverine had a son we'd care more than if Cyke had one

:shifty:#2 having 'children' FORCES the writers to marry Scott and Jean, which just destroys their characters. Their characters ARE the suspense, tension and suffering of their unfulfilled love. Seal the deal and they are uber-boring. Plus you screw any love trianglige. Having children never worked as a story element for them. Their characters will be saved if that's written out of the UU.

:noway:#3 The idea that Scott & Jean's combined genetic line is this super powerful thing is hooey. And that Mr Sinister cloning Jean (Madeline) so he could get her & Scott to produce an ultra-powerful offspring who Sinister could then use to destroy Apocalypse, who then gave him a virus, which led to Nathan being taken to the future to be cured... it's outlandish, and as such has no place in the UU.

:shifty:Further, the time frame that Cable was raised some 2,000 years in the future by Rachel (and Scott & Jean's time-traveling soul/minds) is even more nonsense. It destroys the immediacy of the story, and was only written that far off because setting Cable's future in the soon & immediate would have disrupted too many of the X books in the mid 90's. But with only one book to deal with, and no multi-writer negotiating necessary, having Cable be from the immediate future like Bishop is WAY more compelling. Having the Cable character be from the immediate future AND be someone we really care about is a masterstroke for making the character relevent to the X story line (something 616 Cable rarely is).

:eek: Cable, more than almost any character, needs to be streamlined. His creation was haphazard, and done by so many creators over the years. Many elements of it don't work. Many of his traits and powers were written to make stories work, and only fit inside those stories. As a character he has always been untenable. But Cable as future-wolverine makes the character work in SO many ways.

:|The no 1 problem with Cable as a character in the X-books is that he is supposedly near all-powerful, except for the restraint of having to mentally keep his techno-organic virus in check. The writers made him ultra-poweful because it was necessary to explain how he could kill an all-powerful Apocalypse, but then they had to weaken his character so that he could fight a regular slew of villains. Inconsistant claptrap. Rachel once told him that he was the most powerful mutant ever, the most powerful telepath, the most powerful tk... and again while that served the writers in explaining how he could kill Apocalypse it just destroyed his character. Cable can't be a badass gun carrying anti-hero cliche if he is a super powerful telepath, because then he'd be wiser, less brash, and more diplomatic like Xavier. If he had awesome tk powers, he wouldn't need the guns (like Jean). Either he has these awesome powers or he doesn't. Really Marvel needed two characters with two different ability levels. Trying to make the Cable character fill both shoes is what made him suck. And if the story or Marvel want an all powerful dude, Cable is not a good fit for the bill. He was best when he was a badass, and the hootenanny about him being amazing but limited by his T.O. virus constraints is lame. We need a tough-as-nails limited capability Cable.

:crazy: Having Cable be the future version of Wolverine TOTALLY makes the Cable character work! He's a badass mutha now! Why does he use weapons and not fight like Wolvie? cos he lost his healing factor and is a terrified and desperate Logan from the future. How compelling is the idea of Logan desperate?!! If he has any telepathic or tk powers in the UU, it can be chalked up to Wolvie's resistance to telepathy, or to enhancements acquired in the future. And this would explain why "Cable" uses such powers so rarely.

:razz: Best of all, Cable = future Wolverine solves one of Wolverine's problem's as a character. While his past is interesting and his present is cool, ultimately his character never goes anywhere. In Days of Future Past he has not grown or developed as a character at all. WEAK! Wolverine should have an amazing past AND future! If future Wolverine were an action figure would you want "Days of Future Past"s unemployed trucker Wolverine, or kick-*** bionic Rambo/James Bond time-traveling Wolverine (tm pending). Clearly!

So my vote is that Cable is truly going to be future Wolverine. I am really excited at the prospect. I stopped buyint the UU xmen after the 6th trade (I never stopped reading it, just wouldn't buy it), but I've resumed because this storyline is so exciting. Rock on Kirkman :rockon:

Last edited:
Mahdroo....are you working for Kirkman?:D

You do bring up some good points.

But you assumed that Cable has to be either Son of Jean and Cyke or Wolverine.

I would prefer a gun totting maniac from the future that knows all the X-Men's weaknesses. And when you think you know who he is, BAM brick wall, he's not that dude either.

I also like the idea of Bishop working as a double agent for Cable...nice.

what if jean learns what xavier has done in the future and turns against him, and what if the other xmen turn on him too? How psychologically messed up would Xavier be if the xmen turned on him?

Psychologically messed up enough to manifest some dark hidden corner of his mind into full-blown Apocalypse?

Psychologically messed up enough to unlock power he never knew he had, and be able to PERMANENTLY shut off mutant powers like he did temporarily to Magneto...which might explain Cablerine's lack of healing factor.

Theory: In the Ultimate Universe, the human/mutant mind cannot deal with powerful telepathic powers. Any powerful telepath either goes nutty, or creates a powerful alter-ego that the brain can then compress and compartmentalize as a way of dealing with power. For Jean Grey, this splinter-mind is The Pheonix Force. For Xavier...Apocalypse?

I want Magneto to come up soon. No matter what happens. Magneto needs to be nearby.

Xavier dies- Magneto needs to pay his respects. Maybe try to take over the X-Men
Jean dies- Odds are she Pheonix's out. Magneto's strong and needs to help out.
Apoc shows Up- Come on? Magneto team up with X-Men!

I want Magneto to come up soon. No matter what happens. Magneto needs to be nearby.
No he doesn't.

Xavier dies- Magneto needs to pay his respects. Maybe try to take over the X-Men
No.
Jean dies- Odds are she Pheonix's out. Magneto's strong and needs to help out.
No.
Apoc shows Up- Come on? Magneto team up with X-Men!
No.

Magneto is much more villainous and less sympathetic in the UU. It would be out of character for him to do any of this. Especially take over the X-men.

Yeah but there is no longer a rivalry if Charles dies and if Charles is Apocalypse, then Mags won't look so bad. They'll be all like, we love the brotherhood and stuff and you'll be all like I love cheese. But then Charles won't be Apocalypse. Cuz Apocalypse will come out saying that charles real name is Xorn hence professor X, not really meaning Xavier. Then Apoc will reveal that he is actually the other Xorn pretending to be charles who everyone thought was Apocalypse but was actually charles brother. Then Magneto shows up and leaves saying **** this. I remember me in 616. I want no part in this.

Also, it hit me. Are Cable and Wolverine the same height? Maybe Cable is just Wolverine's son with no healing factor. That's why he knew he couldn't beat him.

Also, it hit me. Are Cable and Wolverine the same height? Maybe Cable is just Wolverine's son with no healing factor. That's why he knew he couldn't beat him.

I already mentioned that like 5 times. They are not the same height, Cable is taller.

Latest posts

Back